Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Stinger hood installation need some suggestions /help.

8K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  shelin 
#1 ·
I have a stinger hood that I will be installing on my 68 vette.
Does anyone here have much experience with this. I need to raise it for clearence and I am wondering how to go about that. I am almost certain that I will need to cut it on both sides to do this. My experience with raising the L88 hood was not a particularly good one and I really dont want to screw this up. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have a stinger hood that I will be installing on my 68 vette.
Does anyone here have much experience with this. I need to raise it for clearence and I am wondering how to go about that. I am almost certain that I will need to cut it on both sides to do this. My experience with raising the L88 hood was not a particularly good one and I really dont want to screw this up. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Here is how I started my L88 scoop, on yours I would cut the hood out then attach the scoop at desired height with boding strip. Then lay wax paper on the inside backed with foam or something and start fiberglassing it in place.

#3 ·
The way the stinger flares at the bottom I will need to cut it to get the extra hidth and am thinking I will cut right in the middle of both the sides where its flat with not much curve. This will make fibre glassing it back together easier to get it straight and flush.

Yes no maybe?

#4 ·
The way the stinger flares at the bottom I will need to cut it and am thinking I will cut right in the middle of both the sides where its flat with not much curve. This will make fibre glassing it back together easier to get it straight and flush.

Yes no maybe?
Yes, I would cut flared area off, then attach bonding strip to each side of the flared area and set your desired height and start glassing.

Or do this, cut above the flared area and attach the pieces back together with strips of whatever and rivets till you get the desired height. Then lay it on your hood and pencil in your cut line and cut out the hood. Then attach bonding strips to bottom of hood aand temporarily bond the scoop in place. Then get out the resin and mat and do the nasty!

#6 ·
Basically just cut at the red areas then maybe screw the flared areas down to some plywood so they are level. At same time fix where the front flares up and you can also cut the center area if you want the scoop wider. Then take some metal strips and pop rivet them to the flared parts and measure from the base of the wood to set your desired height and then pop rivet the top section in place. This should keep everything lined up.

Then after it is pieced back together take it off plywood and test fit it on hood if it fits right then lay wax paper on the backside of the scoop and back it with foam or something to keep you fiberglass patch from sagging.

then bevel each side where glass is to be done and put masking tape on the edge of these bevels to keep resin off the gelcoated areas.

once done with the scoop lay it on hood and cut hood out and bond some fiberglass strips or whatever to bottom of hood so the scoop can be fiberglassed in place. then again bevel the hood and sides of flare on the scoop and masking tape like you did on the sides. Once cured begin finishing with bondo or maybe epoxy filler.

youtube has great videos of hood scoop installs as well as smc hood repairs that might help you for the finer details of finishing.

Hope that helps

#11 ·
Yep you can see it in the picture leaning against the wall. I did a lot of work on it had to cut it down the middle to narrow it to retain the angle as it was raised. Kind of hard to explain but it just came out a bit off.....The curves on both sides were..... lets just say not within my tolerance. It was just barely ok. I had the stinger hood scoop as I was going to work that in with the l88 hood but just wasnt coming together. I think this will be cleaner look once completed.. I certainly hope so anyway...lol

#13 ·
Those scoops work much better on a big block hood. When I first bought my '69 37 years ago it had the exact scoop
on it. It sits much more level with a BB hood. But I really didn't care for it. It is hard to see around from the inside. I put a stock BB hood on and sold that scooped BB hood. I've since replaced the regular BB hood with a correct small block hood.

#14 ·
I hear you but with a 572 I must come up with something. I think I can get this to work with the correct air filter i wont have to raise it quite so high.

Did get the hole got today for starters.

Thank for your input everyone has been very helpful

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.