Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Junkman's Atlanta Motor Speedway Laps for 2012!

5K views 35 replies 12 participants last post by  Livingwater 
#1 ·
I meant to post this already. Went back to Atlanta for the breast cancer fund raiser put on by Corvettes Serving America Foundation and the PaceSetters Corvette Club. Has a blast as usual! Joined up with some forum members there who also post here and even met some new members. Steve (PSU 98) came down all the way from Schuylkill County, PA, which was one hell of a drive. Nice to finally put a name to a face there. Also hooked up with the usual crew from Renegade Corvettes, Stephen (sjsz06), GrampaC5 and others from their crew. This is a annual get together for members of their club and it's always good to see them.

This is just one set of laps that I did but I'm posting this video for a reason. The first 3 Corvettes that I pass are the guys who drove down from Louisville with me. They were talking smack all the way up to the point where I blew the doors off their cars! Looks like that head gasket job that kept me away last year is holding up! :D

It was pretty cold this year and the car wasn't as sticky as I wanted it to be so I didn't break my speed record but hey, any trip around AMS is always a blast!

Enjoy the ride! :partyon:

See less See more
#5 ·
I practically go every year! I only missed last year because of my head gasket repair but I post videos every year that I go. How did you miss it?

Here's one of my 2010 trips!

#8 ·
It's usually the first weekend in October. They changed it this year to October 28th, which was a Sunday. That caused the attendance to be lower but meant that you got on the track a lot faster and as much as you wanted. Usually, it's packed. Check out this shot. See that garage in the background? We usually fill up 3 of those with 3 cars deep per door. This year we almost filled one. Plenty of track time for those who wanted it.

DC needs to organize a meet at Atlanta Motorsports Park.
I drove it two weeks ago in a Ferrari F430 and Lamborghini Gallardo LP560. 2 mile course, 16 turns, very technical. It was awesome.

www.atlantamotorsportspark.com/
This event is NOT technical. Put your left turn signal on, smash the pedal and have fun! :laughing:

#13 ·
I meant to post this already. Went back to Atlanta for the breast cancer fund raiser put on by Corvettes Serving America Foundation and the PaceSetters Corvette Club. Has a blast as usual! Joined up with some forum members there who also post here and even met some new members. Steve (PSU 98) came down all the way from Schuylkill County, PA, which was one hell of a drive. Nice to finally put a name to a face there. Also hooked up with the usual crew from Renegade Corvettes, Stephen (sjsz06), GrampaC5 and others from their crew. This is a annual get together for members of their club and it's always good to see them.

This is just one set of laps that I did but I'm posting this video for a reason. The first 3 Corvettes that I pass are the guys who drove down from Louisville with me. They were talking smack all the way up to the point where I blew the doors off their cars! Looks like that head gasket job that kept me away last year is holding up! :D

It was pretty cold this year and the car wasn't as sticky as I wanted it to be so I didn't break my speed record but hey, any trip around AMS is always a blast!

Enjoy the ride! :partyon:

Hey AJ - Enjoyed seeing you again.
I suspect the tire problem was mostly the cold weather!
I know I was leery of running as fast in the turns as I did last year (at one point I was doing 112 in turn 1-2! This year more like 100).

I posted my three videos on our site here: CABC-X

But my best run came in the third session so I'll post that one here. Bob Clark was riding with me with his GPS tracking the speed.

Bob's comment about his GPS keeping track with Jim's is referring to when Bob road with Jim Hamby in his C6 Z06.

My Window Valet indicated 142 where Bob's GPS showed 141.
That WV reading is the same as last year... maybe next year I'll get the guts to hold it a bit longer and manage a tad more. Then again, I run the whole thing in 4th and 145 is top speed in 4th so not much room for improvement.
Watching the video it looks like I got out of it way early, but it's different when you are in the car! That corner comes at you very fast.

Can' wait for next year!

#14 ·
... Watching the video it looks like I got out of it way early, but it's different when you are in the car! That corner comes at you very fast.
You ain't whistling Dixie! :laughing:

I got a kick out of, "That's Dekalb County, what do you expect!" :rolling: I saw him squeezing you into the wall. I was wondering if you were going to go for it. I would have backed off too!

You trusted your tires a lot more than I did mine! I could feel the car wanting to slip toward the wall and I just didn't feel safe pulling it back down on the track. It was the first time I had ever ran on Pilot Sports. I still prefer my GoodYear Eagle F1's.

Thanks for sharing!

#16 ·
I've been dying to try those Veredestein's every since I first heard of them. Nothing but good reviews for a tire that cheap. If I can find them in stock, I'm going with them next time.

#17 ·
Once again, another awesome video from Junkman Productions :thumbsup:
Looks like you had a great time :partyon:

Questions? .....and "The rest of the story".....During this trip you must of stopped off somewhere to refuel that appetite and drink one or two cool refreshing beverages. Where is the "Dining Report"? Did I miss it... and What?!! no "legs" in the copilot seat? How will you explain the uneven seat wear..:thud:

AJ, next year you need to replace those "all season" snow tires and go with something grippier. Makes a world of difference in those turns with hot tires.

....have driven MIS at speeds near 160 with a "plugged" Nitto tire, and still managed to drive home on them. Wife reach the rev limiter at 170 (HUD), barefoot. (..:laughing:..she lost her shoe shifting). Tires make a very big difference in your confidence driving banked turns at those speeds.

#18 ·
All the "grippy" tires in America wouldn't have made a difference in 50 degree weather. It was just too cold to get crazy in the turns. I am running Michelin Pilot Sports but even it hot weather, nothing sticks like a Goodyear Eagle F1. That's the tire I will always go with, unless I can get my paws on some Vredesteins.

The grub factory happened in some little town about 2 hours from my home. I just stopped in to get a burger at a rib place and walked with a burger AND a full rack. Man, those ribs were good! I wasn't planning on staying so I didn't take my camera in. You'll just have to use your imagination.

As for those legs, I saw these the first time I came off the track and then I spent the next hour trying to get close to them! :D

#21 ·
Here's how I think this picture went down

You don't mind if I take a picture of that fine Ebony Princess smile of yours?
Only to get the best portion in full focus. Junkman doesn't care about a smile as much as a nice ass.

I hope she had an LA face, because she has an Oakland booty.:thumbsup:

Jr.

#19 ·
*****first off is "what the hell" looked like you were going to
run the track on foot.....:laughing:

*****secondly, what was with the guy with the directionals...:laughing:

***** thirdly, it looked like you found the groove on the track
pretty easy, didn't notice any give or take from the nose of the car....:thumbsup:

*****fourthly, cool video......:D

*****fifthly, nice legs on the babe.....:cheers:

#20 ·
*****first off is "what the hell" looked like you were going to
run the track on foot.....:laughing:
I know! My boyz were 'driving Miss daisy' around the track! :thud:

*****secondly, what was with the guy with the directionals...:laughing:
The driver's safety briefing meeting stressed to use turn signals to let people know what you are going to do. He was the only one who paid attention! :laughing:

***** thirdly, it looked like you found the groove on the track
pretty easy, didn't notice any give or take from the nose of the car....:thumbsup:
I was about to find my groove until I ran up on the rest of the pack!

*****fourthly, cool video......:D
:thumbsup:

*****fifthly, nice legs on the babe.....:cheers:
You would have loved those. :D

#24 ·
Yes, you are allowed to pass, you just can't pass the pace car. This year, I didn't go as fast as I normally do because it was too cold out for my comfort level. I didn't feel as glued to the track as I like. Other years, I have gotten up to 130.

#25 ·
Ah come on AJ, you didn't have to go that slow! I still made 142 again this year!
Then again I was hoping for 145 (top speed in 4th for the Z).

I did go a bit slower in the turns though...
My Toyo T1R's seemed to do OK.. didn't feel any looseness.

#29 ·
AJ you crack me up man. I enjoy the hell outta listening to your commentary as you run around the track. You're one funny mofo.

#33 ·
I have to ask, how fast do the pace cars run at Atlanta?

Last time I did Texas Motor Speedway at the Lonestar Classic they were holding at 68mph. I-35 has a speed limit of 70mph right outside the track:down:

#34 ·
If you know what you're doing, you can hit 130-140 at Atlanta. The pace car usually lets the drivers set the pace. If they can keep up, he'll push it. If not, he'll slow down. The "official" word however, is that you'll be doing 80 the entire time.

You can tell that I was NOT doing 80!

Check out this night run I did. We were rolling on this trip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.