Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

price of my car

4K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  drbluevert 
#1 ·
Even in it's current what would you pay for my Corvette? I'm somewhat serious on selling it if someone offers a good price. I have around $25,000 in the purchase price and parts(doesn't include labor). Just getting a feel from Corvette people.

#2 ·
How about telling us a little more about your car. Mods, parts, miles? How about some pictures of it. I mean come on you gotta give us more than that to go on...

I have a piece of string it isn't too long but it's long enough, how long is it?:huh:

#4 ·
This could be interesting as I have a 71 and 72 coming up for sale this spring. When pricing a collector car - thinking logically can be your biggest problem (and I'm not the type that comes up with a high price and it sits forever). I'm a bit nutty, I sell because I can use the money and put it to work elsewhere, not have small talk with a hundred callers and "Feel the Market."

#5 ·
This could be interesting as I have a 71 and 72 coming up for sale this spring. When pricing a collector car - thinking logically can be your biggest problem (and I'm not the type that comes up with a high price and it sits forever).
I price stuff to move, but at the same time won't take a huge loss. It's like putting $60k into a car and selling it for $10k just cause someone offers it right then. I always evaluate what money I put into something and set my maximum loss from there.

I'll go through photobucket tonight and start pulling out receipts(the ones I can find) so that a feel for the car can be felt.

#7 ·
Got some of the receipts. I have a lot of current pictures but will have to hunt pictures of when I bought it as I have 5 different places that they could be on. I'm getting everything in order so when I post I don't have rehunt anything as sometimes I'm scatter brained:laughing:

#10 ·
Here are the most current pictures. Some were taken today and others around two weeks ago. If sold the car will come with the clutch pedal assembly, DFI, and T56. The T56 and DFI are for sale seperately, and if sold before the car I'll adjust the price according to. The doors and t-tops are ready for paint.

I put the seats back in so that they wouldn't be in the way

#13 ·
IMHO it's gonna be though to sell the car in this condition and get any kind of decent price out of it. Even with the tons of extras. It will be hard for anyone except an experienced Corvette builder to see the potential in what you have.

I know people who make their living buying failed projects for respectively cheap and finishing them.

I agree with other posts that suggest doing market analysis and comparisons. Again IMHO you will be lucky to get $4-$6k out of the car in it's current condition. Maybe $7-$9k or so with a truck load of new parts. Depending on what you have it may be better to sell the extra parts separately.

Drive it home cars are around for $10k-$12k or so. They might need just as much or more work than yours; however, they are all together and operational......... The assumption being, if it runs and drives then all the parts pretty much have to be there. Worn out or not....

One can never expect to get what they put into a car back out of it. Somehow it just doesn't work that way very often. Most likely the best return on the dollars you have already spent will be to assemble the car and sell as a ready to drive ride with the extras installed.

This is just an old man's opinion, you may get more (I hope so) or less. Best of luck.

#14 ·
I have around $25k in the purchase and parts. I know that I'll never get all my money back. The nice thing is even though it's all apart the engine has been completely rebuilt with maybe 3k on it and the trans has had a full rebuild with around 5k miles on it. A friend wants the T56 and another wants the exhaust and brakes.

#18 ·
Kyle I have to agree with most of the opinions here. You just can't get what its worth in its current condition. Its not that no one likes your vette its that it is in pieces. I have a friend in the same boat with a 69 mustang. I talked him into putting it back together because everyone that looked at it lo-balled him. With it together and drive-able he can sell it and get his money back. You should do the same or be prepared to take a loss if you don't get lucky and find someone that knows Vette's. BTW are you getting down on the build or just can't get motivated. You should hang in there, iv'e been on mine for 3 1/2 years now, sometimes you just have to walk away but having a great vette takes a lot of money and labor.:cheers: Mark

#19 ·
I'm getting an evaluation right now. If a job that I was promised months ago will start then I'll keep it, otherwise I'll sell it or do whatever. drbluevert if I do part it out I'll give you first shot at the steering column as it's a tilt/tele, but if I keep the car there are several Corvette parts people around close to me that I may be able to get you one for a good deal. I usually never get discouraged, but I guess I got overwhelmed this time as I found more things to fix than what I originally planned for....I need a Corvette psychiatrist:laughing:

#20 ·
Kyle,

If you could see my 71 (pictured) it looks identical to your interior, seats, dash, console, steering, carpets all gone and wires everywhere. People who see it wonder how I'll ever get it back togeter (I wonder too sometimes!). If I were to die tomorrow some guy would get it for a couple of thousand just because the way it sits. Meanwhile I have nearly $20K in new parts never opened yet. I have to get motivated and get to work and finsh this project. I have a barn-find 72 that only needs the rear seals and T/A bushings and that will be up for sale

#21 ·
I hear you...I might have the T56 and DFI sold and if so I'll save the money back. I'm going to keep the car, but the stuff I'm selling I'll purchase later when I get to that part instead of spending money for later mods that will happen way later. I'll check around for a good tilt column and if it's a good price I'll let you know. I got burnt out and frustrated, but I'm better now. Hope your project is going good for you:thumbsup:

#22 ·
Thanks, the tilt column will help sell the barn-find because it's so difficult to get in and out other wise. Funny, when I bought the car the PO said a/c didn't work and it hasn't been figured out. When I tore into the interior and removed the complete dash I found mice had chewed up that brown jute insulation glued to the firewall and filled up the black plastic duct work. The biggest hurdle is straighting out the wires neatly so that the dash panels fit well. I'm re-using the gages but clear lens, console covers, dash (3 parts plus center) are all new. All the plastic trim was bubbafied so I spent $9,000 for everything from sound/heat barrier to the last correct screw in the T-top trim. I got way with a good mechanically right car without rust anywhere. New tires, Lars rebuilt carb and distributor and rebuilt T/A assemblies and new rear seals and new clutch assembly. This vette runs as good as it gets and when I'm all done I hoping to get $16,000 for an absolutely fully loaded 4 spd. matching numbers on everything. Everything works and nothing is needed. The barn-find will be up for $9,500 and matching # and mechanically needs nothing except paint and weather stripping. You can never get your money back on base cars no matter how nice.

#24 ·
72SBVet;2011520" . . . .. drbluevert if I do part it out I'll give you first shot at the steering column as it's a tilt/tele said:
Can you check with your parts people for a tilt column. I can re-spray any color but getting one in Red would be nice. I just need the part/s that make a regular column into a tilt and I can re-use my other pieces.

Thanks!

#26 ·
I live in idaho, I have a 75. I am taking out my steering column here in the next few weeks. It's a tilt/tele. It's brown-tan-gold colored. I don't know if it would interest you because shipping might be not worth it, but if you made an offer and agreed to pay for shipping its an option if you still haven't found one.

#25 ·
I'll call tomorrow one of the sources, but I'll look for the others number as it changed and I have it written down somewhere. I started a new job today and it's full throttle so I don't have a lot of time during the day until after 5. I haven't forgot about you, it's just been crazy here lately.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.