Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

battery voltage 8v

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  way8lifter 
#1 ·
Hey so the vette has been sitting in the driveway since my tranny woes started in August. one day I decided to drop the trans out... And when I went to go start her up the guage was reading 8v and of course no juice to even crank over.. The day or two before I went out and started her just fine.

Anyways... Can the battery drop dead that quick? I would start her every 2 weeks or so since Aug... And I realize you really have to drive it to get the alt charging the battery... But I am just freaking out that when I dropped the trans and the motor tilted back.. That I could have done something to cause a major key off drain... Only thinking this because it happened so sudden.

Jump starts just fine and after a jump start it retains charge for a while... But after hour or so or next day drops back down to 8v...

Im guessing I just need to charge it back up again at work on the charger. (work for sears auto)

#2 ·
While charging the battery attach a volt meter. If the charge rate exceeds 16V the batteruy is sulphated & will not hold a deep charge. Time for a new battery.

If mine is going to nap for a few weeks the battery negative cable gets disconnected or a small charger/maintainer is used.

#3 ·
once a standard wet cell, car battery drops below about 9 volts from lack of use, it RARELY will ever hold a full charge for long, Id be surprised if it lasts much longer even if you get it recharged

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.