Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Dear General Motors

5K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  Junkman2008 
#1 ·
Dear General Motors,

As a longtime consumer of your products, I must admit that you have decided on a direction with your styling and general marketing practices that I can no longer support with my purchasing of your vehicles.
I have really been struggling with trying to accept the looks of the C-7, and the reasoning that spokespersons for your Company have been presenting for such a bastardization of the Corvette.

But in the end I have realized that I have watched this unfold once already, and it really wasn't that long ago.

And the sad reminder is the 2009 Fall cover of the Pontiac performance Magazine.
It has the old Bonneville at the top and a Solstice Coupe at the bottom with the words " QUITE A RIDE" between them.
In my mind I see that same cover with a C-1 at the top and a C-7 at the bottom.

I do understand that myself, my siblings, and our children are only a very small part of your customer base. We have only purchased 114 New General Motors Vehicles in the past 10 years, with the bulk of them being Chevrolet and Pontiac.

Today that all changed, I left the house with the intentions of replacing my 10 year old Silverado Pickup with another Siverado Pickup.

As usual I headed out to my local GM Dealership looking to make yet another deal with my longtime salesman on yet another GM Pickup.
Funny thing was, my salesman has transferred to that dealerships FORD/KIA Store.

So being the loyal customer I am, I headed on over to talk with him about a new pickup, since he can still sell at either dealership.

He was with another customer when I got there so while I waited, I started looking around at the vehicles.
Needless to say Ford is now building some pretty impressive vehicles, and I was starting to get swayed towards really thinking serious about their vehicle lines.

When my salesman did get free he came over as I was looking at a F350. He kinda chuckled about me being at the FORD Store, (He has sold every one of those 114 GM Vehicles to my family) and we got to talking about a Pick Up.

When he suggested we take a ride up to the GM lot and look at some trucks, I suggested we take a test ride in that F350.

I do have to admit it felt strange writing out that check for a FORD truck, loyalty with me has always been a big thing.
But I eased my conscience by remembering I am still loyal to my longtime salesman, and also to my long time dealership.

And the look on my wifes face when she saw that FORD Pickup back into our garage full of GM's....PRICELESS.

So in the same words you gave to me when you killed off Pontiac.....

........"It's been quite a ride"

Good Bye

See less See more
#6 ·
So staying loyal to your salesman, what vehicle will you replace your vette with? A Kia? A Ford? Not to many equal products there. Ford has an equal product with a pickup, but Ford has no equal to the Corvette. The Mustang is an equal to the Camaro.

I understand your loyalty issues. My father and grandfather were GM dealers for over 50 years and I bought a Toyota as my daily driver. My mom now drives a Toyota as well after her Cadillac needed to get replaced. Her Avalon is very nice.

GM doesn't have consumer loyalty anymore, but neither do Ford, Dodge, Toyota, etc.. Some dealerships do, but that is also quickly becoming a thing of the past. Seeing things from the "business" side of the car business, I realize how cut throat it is and how they are all just trying to survive.

I look for high quality and good service. I've had that with my cars when I have known the dealer and service manager personally. Like you, I stick with people I know. We all have different tastes in vehicles. Don't bash GM or the Corvette team because they are not dishing up what you are hungry for at the moment. You only have a 10 year history with GM which is short. I have a 50+ history with them and I'll at least give them the benefit of the doubt and if the vehicle does not suit my taste, I voice my opinion through my checkbook which speaks louder than some blog post. You're just a blow hard! :rolleyes:

#8 ·
Lol, a blowhard?

Glad you can debate an issue without getting personal.:thumbsup:

I disclosed a 10 year history with GM, as that has been what our children have been involved in.
Myself, well I have owned something GM since 1972... mostly Pontiac, especially Bonneville, always had a soft spot for that vehicle.

Corvette...well I really haven't payed much attention to them since the late 60's, and it was only the wide body styling of the '11 GS that got me to buy it.

Replace it with... hell it may get replaced with a Ford Focus, or it may get handed down with the rest of the toy box to my son...I do know the wife is a bit excited that she may now get that "Gotta Have It Green" Mustang GT Ragtop to go with her little 08 Kappa Roadster.

But then who knows what will catch our attention when we decide to add another vehicle. I do know it won't be a C7 Corvette. And probably not another GM.

And if you think I am bashing them because "they are not dishing up what I am hungry for", I am bashing them because they have finally broke one to many promises.

With my 09 Kappa, they "serialized the VIN because it was the last of the breed"..... but then they left loose 30 2010 mules and destroyed that promise, then they promised "10 years of parts for the kappas".... 6 months later you couldn't find a fender brace in their system..... "The Corvette will always be a superior vehicle" (they got the tech side right, but blew it on the styling).....strike three your out!

Funniest thing is the 09 kappa Coupe was purchased by the salesman calling me and telling me "your coupe is here" I never ordered it other then saying "if they ever build a coupe get me one" that was when we picked up the wife's 08 kappa a year earlier, and the vette...that was "send me a text with the numbers, if they're right I'll come get it"

Yup I am one of them blowhards GM doesn't need...such a hard sell :laughing:

#11 ·
I literally signed up just to say this. It's my first time visiting this forum and I'm not really even a lurker (I'm just out looking for c7 pricing rumors).

But, I'm not necessarily an American car fan nor have I ever been a vette guy.

No, instead, I'm the young guy (~30 give or take a few years) that typically drives german vehicles. (My previous car was an Audi and I'm currently in a BMW.)

But I'll tell you what: despite not being a vette fan, I absolutely love this vette redesign. I'm the guy that GM has decided to go after and I can tell you, I think it's working. While, in my opinion, vettes have looked somewhat cheap/chincy/antiquated over the last couple decades (and I know that saying so wont win me any fans on this site), this one really floats my boat. Some people complain that it's a shameless ripoff of the Ferrari F12. Others say they stole from the Nissan GTR, and still others say they've robbed the Viper.

What that means, to me, is that GM did something very RIGHT with this car. It is being compared to highly desirable and much more expensive vehicles. I know that it pisses off the old (and in many cases, loyal) guard - but GM needs this. You can't, as a corvette fanbase, allow your nosalgia to cause your manufacturer to be shackled to decades of tradition.

This car is unmistakeably a corvette, but some of the most appealing aspects of it (interior, the newly designed fascia - really the whole front 3/4) are the most exciting parts about it. And, in my opinion, that's GM hitting the nail on the head. While it's unmistakeably a corvette which should please several older fans, it's offering a very new feeling which allows for an expansion of the fanbase.

This car has always received performance accolades and has kept very up to date on its mechanical techology. It's time to allow it to move forward with an update on the outside to match.

A job well done imo, signed, some dude who isn't yet 30 but put money down to be #6 on the waiting list in my area. I can't wait to test drive my cyber gray, black wheels, red caliper vette home.

#12 ·
I literally signed up just to say this. It's my first time visiting this forum and I'm not really even a lurker (I'm just out looking for c7 pricing rumors).

But, I'm not necessarily an American car fan nor have I ever been a vette guy.

No, instead, I'm the young guy (~30 give or take a few years) that typically drives german vehicles. My previous car was an Audi and I'm currently in a BMW.

But I'll tell you what: despite not being a vette fan, I absolutely love this vette redesign. I'm the guy that GM has decided to go after and I can tell you, I think it's working. While, in my opinion, vettes have looked somewhat cheap/chincy/antiquated over the last couple decades (and I know that saying so wont win me any fans on this site), this one really floats my boat. Some people complain that it's a shameless ripoff of the Ferrari F12. Others say they stole from the Nissan GTR, and still others say they've robbed the Viper.

What that means, to me, is that GM did something very RIGHT with this car. It is being compared to highly desirable and much more expensive vehicles. I know that it pisses off the old (and in many cases, loyal) guard - but GM needs this. You can't, as a corvette fanbase, allow your nosalgia to cause your manufacturer be shackled to decades of tradition.

This car is unmistakeably a corvette, but some of the most appealing aspects of it (interior, the newly designed fascia - really the whole front 3/4) are the most exciting parts about it. And, in my opinion, that's GM hitting the nail on the head. While it's unmistakeably a corvette which should please several older fans, it's offering a very new feeling which allows for an expansion of the fanbase.

This car has always received performance accolades and has kept very up to date on its mechanical techology. It's time to allow it to move forward with an update on the outside to match.

A job well done imo, signed, some dude who isn't yet 30 but put money down to be #6 on the waiting list. I can't wait to test drive my cyber gray, black wheels, red caliper vette home.
Good for you. Hope you enjoy it. :thumbsup:

#18 ·
I think it's probably true that the front 3 quarters is, in my opinion, much better than the back. When I first saw the back I hated the exhaust, but thought the rest was okay.

However, the more I see it, the more I'm quite happy with the rear and the more I appreciate the front 3/4 that I already am in love with.

Also, keep in mind, we're only looking at the same few static shots online. I have a feeling that the first time a C7 passes you (you being generic, not personally you) on your drive home from work, I have a hard time believing anyone will think anything different than "wow, that's a pretty nice butt."

No doubt, the hind quarters aren't the best part of the car but, then again, there are things on every car I've owned and every car I aspire to own that I dont particularly care for as much as I do the rest of the car.

#23 ·
All this snippyness in this thread! :laughing:

Well it's good for those of us looking for something to read. Even the new guy (Ijustsigned... you're gonna get tired of typing that every time... :laughing:), welome to the forum. :buhbye:

So carry on boyz. I'm gonna watch this one from the sideline. Hell, I'm to tired to join in. Been playing with the ladies again... :D

#30 ·
To hate everything GM because they didnt make the new C7 corvette to suit your personal taste is your right as an individual but is a touch extreme. If your first truck lasted you 10 years why wouldn't you even give the silverado/sierra a test drive if you are indeed as loyal as you said you were?. Just going out and buying a truck without testing anything else or doing any research is something people would call foolish especially in trucks where a midyear change up could mean the difference between good and bad. It seems that since they didnt build the car you personally wanted you are now acting like a spiteful 9yr old going around bashing what many people find to be a pretty awesome vehicle and a good brand. If you like your Corvette more than the C7 then keep your current one for more than 6months because you don't always have to have the new shinny thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.