Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Brake line replacement

8K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  RodgerF 
#1 ·
I'm not liking the looks of the brake line that runs back to the rear brakes, particularly where it runs along the crossmember, it looks badly rusted.
Any special tips for replacing that entire run of line?
Standard brake line from NAPA OK or is there something better I should use?

Thanks!

#2 ·
I've never had any problem with the brake line from NAPA. Just make sure everything is clean and also measure twice and cut once. Use a set of flare wrenches to make sure everything is tight. After you bleed your brakes check for leaks. After a day or so of driving, re-check for leaks again just to be sure

#3 ·
If you have to cut and flare the new line, remember that these are 45* double flare fittings.
I've used that steel tubing from NAPA or other parts stores for brake lines, fuel lines and just about every other thing that can use that type line. Never a problem. And on the plus side, the newer tubing has a green coating to help with corrosion resistance.

#5 ·
I should have my new cunifer copper/nickel line kit by friday!
I've used these on two brit cars and they're much easier to work with and corrosion resistant.
On this front to rear line... my car didn't have enough room between the floor and frame to get the bolts out, just wasn't going to happen. Since I'm not worried about originality on this car, I carefully cut the mounting clips with a cutoff wheel and left them and the bolts in place. I'll re -mount the lines a little lower with new clips. They obviously set the bodies in place on the frame with the lines installed.
Bill

#6 ·
NAPA has 3 different brake lines available. 2 25 ft. coils of NiCu. One is really soft and looks like regular copper color $35, the other 25 ft coil is a harder type but is still bendable by hand and that is $21.80. I'm talking about 1/4 inch line.
NAPA also has pre-cut lengths from 5 inches ($3.40) to 60 inches for $5.90. Each has steel fittings on each end and all have a double inverted 45 degree flairs. With these lines you can buy exactly what you need by assembly of one to the other and you don't have to fish a long line in and out of a dozen or more obstacles. You can buy the cheaper NAPA flairing tool (double inverted flair kits have an extra little button attachment that will make the flair double) $23. The key to this type of tool working well is the holding ability of the line without slipping while high force is applied to the end making the flairs.
I use a tool that is very fast and easy from Eastwood, but it's about a $200 investment and well worth it!

#7 ·
NAPA also has pre-cut lengths from 5 inches ($3.40) to 60 inches for $5.90. Each has steel fittings on each end and all have a double inverted 45 degree flairs.
That is what I was looking at. I don't own the proper flare tool and can't really justify purchasing a good one as I do so little brake work.

Slofut, that is what I am planning as well. The body is staying on, lol. That's a project I don't want to even think about.
Looks like I can route the new line pretty close to the original but not exactly in it's place. Close enough to function and look just fine anyway.
I do like the idea of stainless, but seeing as the 'vette is a fair-weather summer toy and not driven daily, the standard line should last the life of the car. There are plenty of other places those pennies can go! :laughing:

Thanks for the advice everyone- I appreciate it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.