Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

front end alignment

3K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  painrace 
#1 ·
I had all the wheels off the Z this weekend, just doing some extra brake dust clean up. I got a little adventurous and decided to lower the front using the adjustment bolts. Ended up with about a 3/4" drop. Car sits much better, rides the same but scrapes the air dam in my driveway:down: . If I decide to leave it this way, do I need to get the alignment done? I asked the dealer and they said I should'nt, I learned a long time ago, just because they work there does not mean they know half what they think. So, anyone here experience any bad tire ware? Thanks

#5 ·
Get it aligned right away.

As for giving it time to settle in, I don't believe that to be necessary at all.

When we SLAMMED my Corvette in Florida, we measured it all the way around (fender lip to hub) just after one quick lap around the neighborhood. (less than a mile for sure)

I then drove 19 hours home. After getting home I measured it again and it was exactly the same. So much for settling.:laughing:

#6 ·
Patrick said:
Get it aligned right away.

As for giving it time to settle in, I don't believe that to be necessary at all.

When we SLAMMED my Corvette in Florida, we measured it all the way around (fender lip to hub) just after one quick lap around the neighborhood. (less than a mile for sure)

I then drove 19 hours home. After getting home I measured it again and it was exactly the same. So much for settling.:laughing:
To each his own. I am simply expressing thirty plus years of racing experience. If you are going to drive the car on the street slowly like most Corvette owners you need not be too concerned. If you want the best performance possible, let the new car settle in then align it after.

#7 ·
painrace said:
To each his own. I am simply expressing thirty plus years of racing experience. If you are going to drive the car on the street slowly like most Corvette owners you need not be too concerned. If you want the best performance possible, let the new car settle in then align it after.
Don't get me wrong, up until I saw it for myself in April I always believed there was some settling that would happen over say... a few hundred miles. I've driven lowered vehicles since 1988. Cut coil springs, de-arched leaf springs, any changes in shock length, etc, the trucks would settle for a month.

As for my C5, it seems that a trip around the hood and some left/right wheel jerks was all that was needed. Never changed over a thousand miles since that spin around the hood.

Maybe someone could do some testing for grins. Lower it, drive it around the block, measure it. Drive for a mile, measure it. Drive for 10 miles, measure it. Any changes?

#8 ·
Patrick said:
Don't get me wrong, up until I saw it for myself in April I always believed there was some settling that would happen over say... a few hundred miles. I've driven lowered vehicles since 1988. Cut coil springs, de-arched leaf springs, any changes in shock length, etc, the trucks would settle for a month.

As for my C5, it seems that a trip around the hood and some left/right wheel jerks was all that was needed. Never changed over a thousand miles since that spin around the hood.

Maybe someone could do some testing for grins. Lower it, drive it around the block, measure it. Drive for a mile, measure it. Drive for 10 miles, measure it. Any changes?
I don't need to do it any more. I have done hundreds. I am convienced car settle and wear. You will have to align it in the future even if you don't drive it hard or hit anything. GM aligns the car satisfactory for street driving and tire wear. They are not aligned for performance driving. When suspension changes are made, alignments must be made.

Good Luck!

#11 ·
Get the aligment done. It will be out of wack. :thumbsup:

#12 ·
I would advise everyone to get an alignment by a shop with the Lasers. I have mine aligned by a Ruf shop and the difference the first alignment made was astounding. In my drive way after the alignment the car coasted/rolled so much easier and on the road a lot of the Z51 bump steer went away.

:cheers:

#14 ·
To tell you the truth, unfortunatly this car will never see a race track. You know the saying "rubb'n is race'n" well I can't afford to rubb anything on this car but wax. i am more concerned with tire ware. I would hate to eat these things up too soon.
FYI measured from top of rim to fender lip stock 5 1/2", changed to 4 5/8"
after 60 miles still 4 5/8"

#15 ·
I've lowered most of my Vettes. Even a 1/2-3/4" drop changes camber and toe-in, just try it when the car is on the alignment rack and see for yourself. You can align it as soon as you lower it, a quick drive is plenty. No more settling will occur unless the car is pretty new.
Ever notice how all the new Corvettes at the plant sit so high? The factory alignment job tries to compensate for the settling that will occur over the first few hundred miles (shipping on transport trucks helps too).
I try to wait a couple thousand miles before lowering a new Corvette; I've never observed any further settling.

#16 ·
:agree:

However, if you are taking your car to it's limits you will be wanting to change the suspention/alignment or at least checking it regularly. I have had minute adjustments make a world of difference in competition. If you are just driving around on the street, no big deal. You just don't want to put too much camber in with the wide tires on the street.

Keep having fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.