Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

C8 countdown...

4K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  dobrenyr 
#1 ·
Now that the C7 is a done deal, we should start the C8 thread... so GM can finally fix all the things wrong with the C7.
:laughing:

#10 ·
I think you mean they hired a all new design team and will present their design as soon as the 7 is revealed and the current team fired. :cheers:

#6 ·
Guys now seriously what DO we know about the 8?
Is it true that the 7 supposed to fill in for just a few yrs?
Is that true that GM was really working on a midship design this time before the 2008 happened?
Is it true that the C6 supposed to come much later being a complete redesign not a C5.5?
Is it true that GM was really thinking about the Cien as a halo model?

#11 ·
A C8 mid engine will have almost no trunk room -- goodbye to those who like to drive long distances and have a trunk big enough to carry stuff in. (Check out trunk space in every mid-engine.)

A C8 will have some sort of a V-6 -- goodbye to V8 Corvettes due to fuel mileage requirements.

And those of who who are still excited about wanting a C8, hope you are patient, for no matter what folks are thinking, or hoping now, that the C7 will be a short run, we've heard those rumors before about earlier generations, and a new Corvette never comes about in less than eight years (C2 excepted). Probably see a C8 about 2020 or later.

In the meantime I will love my C7 while many are wishing for the future...

#13 ·
Thanks
Are you sure, I mean is this V6 thing for real? Cuz you dont want to know the opinions about this choice. I received many feedbacks, and i mean many about the so-far C7 and ppl are just...let's just say revolted.
There are of course who like what they see, but I read letters like - I translate -

"they say Corvette design team is keeping close relations with the fan clubs and forums, then how on Earth did they approve this thing"

"tail lamps like VW passat"

"they managed to ruin a classic"

"looks like a hyundai"

"Chevrolet stopped producing Corvettes, they just didn't tell"

my favorite is this one
"this carriage is awful. I usually don't say such a thing about a Ferrari, but a Corvette usually is a beautiful car"

now watch this: those who like the design are only saying it's okay. nobody is thrilled. nobody said yet this is the Corvette they were dreaming about.

this is NOT my opinion, this is just the letters andoniscars receives.

This might come out of the blue, but if MOST of the people who are Corvette buyers dislike a product, doesn't this make the manufacturer THINK? Just an objective question. We could even talk about furniture or anything else if you know what I mean.

Like I said I don't want to ruin things, I don't want to JUDGE, I just collected some letters to share- maybe you wanted to know how ppl feel about this design.
Oh, and you know I made a little poll about the 10 (which is 2 or 3 really) C7 concepts. NOBODY liked the Jalopnik.

Please don't kill the messenger, I just shared.

:buhbye:

#15 ·
The C7 looks like the illegitimate offspring of a GT-R and a 599 Ferrari. At least from what we've seen so far. All the traditional design elements of Corvette are missing and replaced by borrowed designs elements from other brands. Instead of setting new trends, they have choosen to borrow from other designs. It has no WOW factor
I don't even get that rear hatch and why it's so complex, if the goal was to save weight, then make the hatch simple.
Something i'm sure will be corrected in the next C8 which will either be retro or truly all new in terms of design.

#16 ·
Funny thought: On the commute to work today, I was thinking of this thread and the C7 section in general. And you know, if the Jalopnik leak back in Nov.2011 was billed as the upcoming NISSAN GTR, I would have thought that the car's design was evolving naturally...haha :smack

:cheers:

#19 ·
I find it very interesting the reactions that you've gotten so far. As alot of people have said, it's difficult for a 2D drawing to capture the whole essence of a car. But based on the camouflaged cars vs the Jalopnik rendering, I think it's very safe to say that we've already seen it, and most people don't like it.

What's really interesting is that based on correspondence to you, most people OVER 40 like it. That's not who G.M. was targeting AT ALL.

The "Get Ready" #4 rendering on your site is the one that looked most like a Corvette. And it's easily a MODERN Corvette. I live in the Caribbean, and I can safely say that a Corvette is easy to recognize. In the same way that a Lamborghini is easy to recognize. It's all about the stance and tradition. Not "retro" but tradition. This new C7 hardly looks like an American Icon.

I was on your website (or maybe this one) sometime ago, and a female friend was watching the pics with me. I scrolled down to a side profile comparison shot of the Jalopnik C7 & the current Camaro: she said (without knowing which model was which) she definitely preferred the Camaro !!! BAZD MEG !!! NEM NEM NEM!
She's 25 and really knows nothing much about cars, much less American performance cars.

I think that's the "writing on the wall"

:cheers:

#20 ·
The continued existence of a V8 in Corvette - regardless of generation - is predicated exclusively on GM's need to offer a V8 in any of its models. As long as they feel compelled to offer a V8 in a Cadillac and/or a Truck, there will be a V8 in Corvette. Any V8 that is manufactured and engineered for a Cad or a Truck, can be reasonably adapted to Corvette's needs.

Therefore, if you believe that in six to ten years from now (2019-2023) when the C8 is released, that all trucks and all Cads (therefore also all BMWs, MB, Audis, Lexi, Ford truck, Ram, and Tundras) will have a V6 as their top offering, then yes, the vette could have to make do with a V6.

Otherwise, future Corvettes will have a V8 with even more tech and maybe some added push from electric motors up front. Today's LS and LT engine makes better than 1HP / lb. in a very compact package - smaller and lighter than any comparable TTV6. As tech improves, that tech can be applied to smaller displacement, smoother runing V8s or to V6s.

I would not be surprised to see a V8 stay with Corvette until the day that the internal combustion engine is replaced in favor of new technology (electric/hydrogen??? - who knows what).

Change has value if it is actually an improvement. Change for the sake of change is an inefficient waste of resources.

JMHO

Reactions: stinger430
#26 ·
I was intending to address change in general.

Specific to the C7, all indications are that the engine, chassis and probably most of the interior will improve with the C7. From an exterior design standpoint, subjectivity is the dominant factor. The characteristics of design and how each of us weighs them (consciously or subliminal) determines our likes and dislikes of a particular Corvette design.

I like the drama of my C3 design, my son loves it. I LOVE the sculptured C2 design, my son doesn't care for it. Many here relate to and actually define Corvette by certain styling cues that have been part of Corvette heritage for decades. No one is suggesting a return to chrome wires over the headlights, but just as all 911s have a distinctive look that heralds their past successes, many here expect Corvettes to carry certain cues.

GM will counter that those cues are present in the C7. Those of us who take exception say that the C7 cues are no closer to being Corvette cues than the current Nissan GT-R. It has a side vent and four taillights.

Therefore, in the case of exterior design, execution is everything. Those who look at a C7 design and embrace it, do so with a different set of design requirements for Corvette, than those of use who dislike it.

To me personally, there is also a requirement of basic good taste in design. I might not care much for the back of the GT-R, I might think a particular Ferrari would be better looking witout a particular scoop, or an Aston Martin might need a different spoiler, but those are small issues. My biggest issue with the C7 is that the entire rear fascia design is so ugly that it puts a knot in my stomach. It shouldn't. It's just a car. But it is a car about which I have had passion and maybe been too obsessed with for decades. Some others here feel just as strongly about the new hatch/roofline and / or the big cladding on the side vent, or just the Camaro taillights themselves.

THAT horrible rear fascia (with the demeaning Camaro taillights) is a change I cannot, and will not embrace. I see that rear as an insult to Corvette and to myself.

#27 ·
Fair enough. :cheers:

And I agree that the Jalopnik version of the rear fascia isn't all I had hoped it would be. But overall, I think the car looks very much "Corvette". JMHO

I was intending to address change in general.

Specific to the C7, all indications are that the engine, chassis and probably most of the interior will improve with the C7. From an exterior design standpoint, subjectivity is the dominant factor. The characteristics of design and how each of us weighs them (consciously or subliminal) determines our likes and dislikes of a particular Corvette design.

I like the drama of my C3 design, my son loves it. I LOVE the sculptured C2 design, my son doesn't care for it. Many here relate to and actually define Corvette by certain styling cues that have been part of Corvette heritage for decades. No one is suggesting a return to chrome wires over the headlights, but just as all 911s have a distinctive look that heralds their past successes, many here expect Corvettes to carry certain cues.

GM will counter that those cues are present in the C7. Those of us who take exception say that the C7 cues are no closer to being Corvette cues than the current Nissan GT-R. It has a side vent and four taillights.

Therefore, in the case of exterior design, execution is everything. Those who look at a C7 design and embrace it, do so with a different set of design requirements for Corvette, than those of us who dislike it.

To me personally, there is also a requirement of basic good taste in design. I might not care much for the back of the GT-R, I might think a particular Ferrari would be better looking witout a particular scoop, or an Aston Martin might need a different spoiler, but those are small issues. My biggest issue with the C7 is that the entire rear fascia design is so ugly that it puts a knot in my stomach. It shouldn't. It's just a car. But it is a car about which I have had passion and maybe been too obsessed with for decades. Some others here feel just as strongly about the new hatch/roofline and / or the big cladding on the side vent, or just the Camaro taillights themselves.

THAT horrible rear fascia (with the demeaning Camaro taillights) is a change I cannot, and will not embrace. I see that rear as an insult to Corvette and to myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.