Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

C7: Can it be Tuned and Mods

4K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  RTGordon 
#1 ·
A few times I came across info that the C7 computer / electronics won't allow for tunes or mods. :WTF Is this true? Can anyone in the forum who knows about this offer some insight at this point in time?

Also, does anyone know if the C7 cylinder deactivation can be completely turned off? :huh:

#4 ·
IMHO there will be no limits to the tunability of this car -- even if they have to come out with a whole new aftermarket computer or use a tandem computer. Give it one year from the time it hits the streets and the aftermarket will crack the ECU. Plus I've read rumors that the stock C7 computer has been designed to adjust itself automatically for bolt-ons. Also, if for some reason VVT and DOD can't be worked with/around they will just get stripped off. Having said that it will probably take additional skills/knowlege to tweak the VVT and DI properly. It aint a holley 4 barrel anymore. :lookinup:

#7 ·
Easy affordable effective performance mods/tuneability is what made the SBC popular from the begining. It *IS* the heart, soul, and reason for the SBC's overwhelming sucess and long life. IMHO the car-guys at GM and within the Corvette and SBC engineering teams will work to keep the aftermarket and modding enthusiasts in the game as much as possible -- even if the bean counters and lawyers at GM have never and will never like it. Its part and parcel of the image/marketing/purpose of the whole Corvette program and fan base.

#9 ·
I have hopes that someone will come up with a quick, safe, affordable, and easy method to disable the cylinder deactivation mode without having to drive in track mode all of the time.

Then again, perhaps GM did it for us and installed an "on / off" button. I know, that's dreaming - fantasy land.

#11 ·
Based on the torque curve being greater then the LS7 up to about 4,000rpms I would say that the LT1 has amazing potential. Get rid of AFM, port the heads, big cam should see this engine killing modded LS7s....

#12 ·
I'm not sure AFM will be that much of an issue on this motor. The lifter mass has been greatly reduced. I'm betting you can run a much larger cam and keep it if you want.

I think we are a while away from decently ported heads as the combustion system is very different. There will be a bigger learning curve on this engine than the others we've had recently. All that said I'm sure it will get done eventually.

BTW the A2 file has already been seen by a couple of vendors. No clue on security yet, though it could be like the 2011+ desiels. You can write to them all day long but you cannot read them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.