Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

69 big block blower

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  roscobbc 
#1 ·
Has anyone here successfully installed a procharger, or Vortech, on a C-3 big block? I don't have air, so there's a beautiful place for it, but if the power steering and alternator need to be moved, that's OK too.

#3 ·
blower

I've seen that Nova picture on the prosharger website. Almost all the blowers mount on the driver's side. Is that 69 smallblock yours Corz? Very nice. Is that fuel inj GM or something else? Does it use a chip or a laptop? Do they make fi kits like that for big blocks? I guess it would be easier to put a blower on an fi setup room wise and especially for tuning. Procharger says "just build a bracket for the passengers side" Yeah, right, can anyone out there do this? as it's a little beyond my fabrication skills unfortunately.

#4 ·
I was considering a FI big block car at one point and looked into it. This was a few years ago, but I know for certain that Edelbrock and Holley have EFI systems for big blocks. I would also check to see if the Ramjet system that is available for the 502 is sold separately and is compatible. It would probably necessitate a head swap, but that would be a no brainer if you want to invest in a blower AND the FI.

#5 ·
I have a paxton setup for my 73 im working on,like you said i have no room between the powersteering and the control arm to mount the plate so im modifying it to fit,Possibly lower the p/s pump.And mines a small block with a big block it must be even harder.If i mount it regular with the stock plates it comes with the unit will be above the hood,if it was in the center id be fine since i already modified my hood for extra clearance but its off to one side.Im gone to work with it over the summer so i can install it in the winter time,just want to drive it this summer.

#6 ·
Re: blower

69er said:
I've seen that Nova picture on the prosharger website. Almost all the blowers mount on the driver's side. Is that 69 smallblock yours Corz? Very nice. Is that fuel inj GM or something else? Does it use a chip or a laptop? Do they make fi kits like that for big blocks? I guess it would be easier to put a blower on an fi setup room wise and especially for tuning. Procharger says "just build a bracket for the passengers side" Yeah, right, can anyone out there do this? as it's a little beyond my fabrication skills unfortunately.
the 69 smallblock in my avatar is mine, thanks.

That fuel injection setup appears to me that it's a mini ram which is aftermarket using GM designs (C4 throttle body, etc)

I'm sure you can get brackets made up for the passenger side no problem

#7 ·
I have mounted my ati supercharger on the passenger side (right side), but i have a small block, and there was barly room for it, if you can manage i think the best idea is to put it on the driver side, and move your powersteering pump and alternator to the passenger side.

you need to have a belt tensioner system on the supercharger, and if you have the charger on the right side you need to put this tensioner on the underside of the drive belt, it is more room for placing this tensioner on the driver side.

#8 ·
Deathrow any more pics of your engine compartment ?

#9 ·
blower

If I flip the mounting bracket from the dr side to the pass side, and then mount the tensioner on the other side of the bracket? I would like to have one of those brackets in my hands to see if it's feasible. On the other hand moving the pwr string & alt might be easier in the long run.
Deathrow-did you use the orig blower bracket & modify it or did you build it from scratch? You are obviously one hell of a fabricator & engineer! nice. do you have any more pics? Thanks everybody...but I'm not giving up yet I've only been planning this for 10 years.
Vortech has a bb system that uses a pressurized box around the carb-it mounts on the driver's side too.

#10 ·
I had to fabricate the brackets on my own. hehe i think i had 4 tries befor everything worked perfect, ive used both titanum an aluminium brackets, and an acid free steel bracket.

The hole thing is special because the engine is a 95 LT1, and i had to do this because of the vibration damper is integratet with pulley for pw-pump and all that. and i belive that you cant use a standard damper from a small block chevy. And i wanted to have the oppertunety to change out the drive belts easy as well. So the only way was to put the charger was on the passanger side. i will load some pictures on my side so you can take a look.

#12 ·
Vortech Blower for BBC

I have a '68 BB non aircon Vette and had been thinking along the same lines as you re. Vortech blower. The guys at Vortech were quite helpful with dimensions etc when I contacted them. I made some provisional measurements and I think it could be feasible on the left side on the engine bay and re-locating the alternator where the aircon would normally be positioned. I am less sure about the proximity of the l/h upper 'a' arm. Hood clearance without modifications will potentially be an issue but if you use an Edelbrock Torker manifold (1/4" higher than stock)with the carb enclosure it could possibly fit especially if you have the carb mounting surface milled level (it is angled forward when used on a Vette)
Of more concern is where will the fresh air supply for the blower come from. If the standard universal BBC Vortech kit is used it will face backwards towards the driver on the left hand side of the engine compartment directly above the headers ! The fact that under hood temperatures are a problem in a Vette brings this in to question. Drawing-in hot air to a blower kind of defeats the purpose, an intercooler or better still charge cooler is really required. Now that will give some mounting issues. I look forward to more suggestions myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.