Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

89 Corvette won't restart after running

16K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  wheneaglesfly 
#1 · (Edited)
I have an 89 Corvette that will not restart after running. I spray starting fluid into the runners and it starts right up and stays running. Anybody have any ideas?

Fuel Pressure 42lbs, timing is perfect new plugs wires cap and rotor. Also, no codes.

#3 ·
Could also be leaking injectors causing a 'flood.'

Check the fuel pressure at the rail for 15 minutes after shut off. Check at 5 minute intervals.

#5 · (Edited)
My 1989 Corvette had the same problem. First my fuel pump was bad. I changed the pump, screen and filter. After that it would start it would shut down. I found the the # 7 injector was shorted 3.2 ohms (should be around 16 ohms).
I disconnected the # 7 injector and the engine will start and keep running. So next i am going to order a set of Bosch IIIs from F.I.C.

#8 ·
My 88 has the same problem. Does your car still have the original injectors in it? If you hold the gas pedal to the floor after the car is warm, does it start then? If so, you probably have a leaking injector and the computer thinks the engine is flooded. New Bosch III's should cure the problem. :thumbsup:

#12 ·
My leaking injectors went from 37 psi at run/prime to 18 psi in a half hour.

Have not tested the new Bosch III's, yet.

#14 ·
I just purchased a 89 corvette that wasn't running & had been stored for almost 4 years, pulled the dash apart and it started running. Its been running fine for a few weeks, yesterday on the way home it died in the driveway and won't start. I have also bypassed the resistor at the ignition. fuel pressure is good & seems to have good spark. any ideas?

#15 ·
http://garage.grumpysperformance.co...ard-starting-tpi-crossfire-or-lt1-vette.1401/

http://garage.grumpysperformance.com/index.php?threads/c4-c5-corvette-trouble-codes.2697/

check the injector fuses
check the trouble codes
check the ignition timing
check the oil pressure
verify the grounds

let us know what you find and the trouble codes and we can go from that point , honestly the process is just not that difficult I do it all the time its simply the result of checking each components function in a logical manor, verifying it works or it doesn,t and going from that point.
obviously having a multi meter, timing light, compression gauge, fuel pressure gauge, exhaust back pressure gauge, and a piston stop to verify TDC and a SHOP MANUAL for your year corvette will be rather useful.

#16 ·
I know it isn't cheap. but when you think about what people put into chasing gremlins. time and money and grey hair and hair loss. to still have something in the end you'd never trust because of your history together at that point. This is a first time out guaranteed fix. you buy it, you wire it in, and your car is now a reliable machine. period. and if the day comes that it doesn't start, it will tell you why right there on its touchscreen. it is a modern day controller and is self tuning and wideband o2 driven:

http://www.fuelairspark.com/fas/ez-...control-system-multi-port-retro-fit-typehtml/

Here is a thread I have on this kit replacing a carb on a c3. it the same kit just without the carb, and you just wire it to your injectors and iac and map on your tpi motor. and I think it comes with coolant temp sensor. but the display is the same and function will be the same:

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255809

#17 ·
Its a nice EFI System.
Looks like Speed Density only.
NO MAF.

Not many are modding C4 's these days.

C3's of course.
And C5 &C6.

I think because the resale value is so low and has been for several years.

No serious drag racing efforts in several years.
Last I recall hitting 9's in a C4 group was back 2010-2011 while I was on CFC4.
One off big tube 2.00" race headers used.
A mechanic like us.

#18 ·
everybody that gets stumped with a c4 puts a carb on it. and this is an option to at least keep it fuel injected. And you are damn right it is speed density. gm's first implementation of a maf was a real hoot. this controller doesn't need or use maf power and burnoff relays. There are many of these efi kits made by everybody now. it is big business. holley has efi kits. msd has atomic efi, edlebrock has efi kits.

And let's just be real about this, at the rate technology is and has been accelerating, electronics made in the 1980's might as well have been from the middle ages. I am a bit of a pc enthusiast as well and let me share with you guys that Nvidia invented the gpu or graphics processing unit in 1999. has anyone here seen or remember windows 95? anyone remember the original Atari video game system or first Nintendo or sega master systems. not just in todays world but for many years now, that bleeding edge cell phone you bought today will be old news by the end of the week and obsolete by the end of the month. 30 years is an incredible gap for something that is accelerating as fast as electronics. so I say screw trying to fix and repair the old oem system.

#22 ·
The LT4- LT-1 C4 intake I had shown a few months back Autowiz,
it was ported by Hi Flow Cylinder heads in Alsip, IL.

Supposedly used on a Vette on an early episode of Pinks.

Not sure when or what route I will take when I get back to my 87 C4 vert project.

Solid axle 4-link parts bought and here.
Must ditch that Dana 36 IRS.

#24 ·
The intake was ported to full drag race.
Not sure what it flows.
The Hooker Super Comps For C4 Corvettes are the bottleneck.
Support 10's ET No exhaust system in place.
Open headers.
Just can't spend $2-5 k for one off big tube headers.
$5 k is all that's required Poncho power to smoke Hellcats once a 455 is bought.
I bought 3 455's for under $2 k.

I like Hi Tech.
Also like old school.
Want it Vertex Mag Fired.
There are relocation kits made for them.
Daul Mag layouts.
One mount for a single Mag. Other can be used for a dummy distributor.
Get your distributor sync and cam sync from it.
They are not cheap. $950-1800 to buy the special base.
Can front drive the Mag also.
Need a dry Jesel belt drive unit.

#26 ·
The intake was ported to full drag race.
Not sure what it flows.
The Hooker Super Comps For C4 Corvettes are the bottleneck.
Support 10's ET No exhaust system in place.
Open headers.
Just can't spend $2-5 k for one off big tube headers.
$5 k is all that's required Poncho power to smoke Hellcats once a 455 is bought.
I bought 3 455's for under $2 k.

I like Hi Tech.
Also like old school.
Want it Vertex Mag Fired.
There are relocation kits made for them.
Daul Mag layouts.
One mount for a single Mag. Other can be used for a dummy distributor.
Get your distributor sync and cam sync from it.
They are not cheap. $950-1800 to buy the special base.
Can front drive the Mag also.
Need a dry Jesel belt drive unit.
Yea zinc was schooling me on how much cheaper it is to build power on the old big blocks vs. the newer ls stuff. $5k won't take you too far on an lsx. I know you know that now.

#25 ·
It is also wideband driven, brian. You know that any oem controller can only see 14:1 -15:1 afr, and when you are in power enrichment the ecu has only it base calibrations to rely on for fueling. these wideband driven controllers can stay in closed loop or 'feedback' and trim at wide open throttle when afr is down in the 13's, 12's, or even 11's if that's where you want it to be. target afr's, idle speed, fan on temp, timing advance and curve can all be changed right there on the touch screen sitting at a traffic light or on the side of the road. and in a very user friendly manner. You would fall in love with this if you had it in your 87, bud.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.