Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

are there going to be "Z" models?

3K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  Roadkillz 
#1 ·
A bit of info to preface my question(s):

I have been infatuated with Corvettes since I was 5 years old (I just turned 57) and was finally able to buy one when I retired (my retirement present, my wife got a house) a couple of years ago, a 2011 Super Sport with an auto transmission.

Why auto? I've had football related problems with my left knee that cannot be "fixed" with surgery or anything (we've tried) and it has always been difficult to depress the clutch. They don't (or didn't) make a ZR 1 or Z 06 with an auto transmission, so I was limited to models that did.

My MISTAKE. I ASSUMED I couldn't drive a clutch, I haven't done so in over 30 years.

While visiting a dealer about 8 months ago (buying a car for my son), I sat in a ZR 1 in the show room and pressed the clutch. Wow, quite easy and no pressure on my bad knee. I could get used to this!

Being that I don't drive mine very often (9,000 miles after 26 months) and only if I take it on the freeway (lots of them near Atlanta) and that the clutch is much easier than I recall or thought, I decided I wanted a ZR 1, but would wait for the C 7 version.

I just visited the dealer and put down a "pre-order" deposit, but was told they (at the dealer) didn't have any pricing info yet and didn't know if they would make a ZR 1 or Z 06 model, and, if they did, probably not this year. Also, they don't know when they'll know most anything...

My questions (apologies for the long preface):
1. Does anyone know anything about the "Z" models and if they'll be made?

2. If the answer to #1 is yes, any idea when info will be released? I'm not sure I'd want to buy the upcoming version and find out there will be a ZR 1 model in 2014.

Any additional information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Bill

See less See more
#2 ·
I can tell you what the best info is that I have (based on leaks regarding the C7.

There will be a C7 Z06, best rumor is that this C7 Z06 will pack an engine known as the LT4 V-8 engine. Honestly I do not know for sure, though renders of this LT4 engine shows that it will be a supercharged engine (so it might actually be a ZR1 engine who knows). Also there has been leaks of a rear body panel for the C7 Corvette showing the distinctive Z06 rear brake duct on it. Based on that little bit of information there is a C7 Z06 in the works and its already well under development.

As far as time line do not be shocked to find out that the C7 Z06 model will be a 2015 model year vehicle.

As far as pricing goes, Tadge did say in an interview that if you can afford a C6 then you can afford a C7 (not a big increase in price). Currently the base C6 starts at $50,595 (not including incentives), a 4LT C6 starts at $60,00 and that is with the leather wrapped interior. Currently magnetic selective ride control is a $2,000 option and the duel mode exhaust system is a $1,2000 dollar option.

Currently the C6 Z06 starts at $77,590 and the 3LT Z06 starts at $86,450. The ZR1 starts at $113,595 and the 3ZR trim starts at $123,595 to give you an idea of what C7 pricing is likely to look like.

I expect the C7 to start at $52,000-$55,000 taking into account more content then what a base C6 has (aluminum frame rails, carbon fiber body panels).

It has also been stated that the next Z06 will come standard with carbon ceramic brake disc.

What will certainly help with Z06 pricing is the fact that the base car has an all aluminum chassis. Also it was stated that this aluminum chassis isn't only stiffer then the old steal frame rail chassis. With the center roof section removed it is 20% stiffer then the odl Z06/ZR1 chassis (which had a bolted in magnesium roof structure). This opens up the door for Z06 and ZR1 targa and convertibles something that they were never able to offer with the C6 variant of the cars (427 Convertible used steal frame rails).

Reactions: wgcatlga
#4 ·
Thanks Roadkillz for your well reasoned analysis above on a higher performance version, and that it will be available in 2015 MY.

I think you are on the money in your "Z06" prediction. That would mean, I believe, that later this year, perhaps around the actual time that the C7 is available for pick up at the dealer or at NCM in the third quarter, that that would be around the time when GM announces the convertible -- with my next guess is that convertibles are then available for actual pick up around March.
I hope...

#5 ·
I have heard from a VERY reliable source, someone who has SEEN the Z06. Could not pry out many details from them other than it will be availble for the 2015 model year. He said it is IMPRESSIVE! Well worth the wait were his words.

#13 ·
One thing is for sure....whatever the hi-po model is, it will have the front splitter as shown in the Jalopnik renderings.

The base/Z51 does not have this.

#14 ·
That's an interesting point. I would hope for some different body work, though with all the aero optimization they did for the base it might not be that different. I think making a wide body via some fender flares would be awesome. Something along the lines of the C6R but less pronounced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.