Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

A-arm bushing removal in less than ten minutes!

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Marks76ray 
#1 ·
I posted this on another forum a while back. I learned a very valuable lesson from a mechanic friend of mine and wanted to share:

I got an education on this a few months back.
I had always done it this same way, drilling and cutting out the bushings. On the corvette, this time I just didn't want to get into it and I figured I'd pay someone to do it while I worked on something else. So I took the A arms across the street to my mechanic buddy and said I'll leave 'em with you and pick them up tomorrow. He said "just wait a minute and you can take them back with you" I'm like whaaa?
So he chucks one in a vice and picked up an impact hammer with a wide blade on it, puts the blade between the flanges of the bushing and the A arm, hits the trigger and guides the bushing right out!
No stress on the a arm, no work, all four arms done in 5 minutes! Just buzzed them right out, shells and all, all the bushings laying on the floor! I said I've never seen that done before, he says what?, I always do 'em like that. He's a good friend and wasn't even going to charge me, so I gave him a twenty and said this ain't for removing the bushings, it's for a damn good education!
I love learning things like that.
Bill

See less See more
#4 ·
Flat rate can really shape you into a speedy beater haha. I tried working as a mechanic. Coming from working as a former machinist, my slow methodical approaches were dispicable compared to the 'best' mechanics I worked with. I still like to work on my stuff in my own methodical ways, but im challenged alot less with my experiences in mechanics,

#5 ·
Thanks Solfut, took mine out yesterday only took me 15 minutes. one of them was stubborn but the last ones I removed took 3 hours! I really love this forum :cheers: Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.