Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

77 Carb Rebuild Time

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  blckslvr79 
#1 ·
Died again last night after extended highway driving. Seems to just load up with fuel at lower speeds (like on the exit ramp). So, a carb rebuild is in order.

I was recommended to a shop that said they will do it for ~$180. Should bolt back on and run with no issues after that.

For now, we'll just be rebuilding the stock Q-jet. Upgrades maybe in the distant future.

Thoughts?

#3 ·
Mike...you are always a font of info. :thumbsup:

Now, lemme ask this...I am self taught and have dealt mostly with fuel injection...VERY little knowledge about carbs.

Can it still be done? Adjustments and all?

#4 ·
I agree-do it yourself. :thumbsup:

I rebuilt a quadrajet when I was 16. It's not rocket science.

I've rebuilt a couple Holley's with no issue too.

Buy a rebuild kit and find some nice directions if you're nervous. You can find all the parts schematics and directions on line for free.

Once you take one apart and understand how they work, it's a breeze.

Pick up a gallon of Chem Dip too.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...-parts-cleaner/_/N-255s?itemIdentifier=139313

#5 ·
I agree on the rebuild, but be very careful about one thing: When you open it up from the top and lift the top casting off, watch for small pieces (springs, ball bearings) that will be in the lower casting. When you turn the casting upside down, those little parts will fall out and you won't know where they came from. It's been a while since I rebuilt one, but I still have an El Camino with a Q-Jet I have rebuilt a few times. There are only a couple of these parts, but it's hell if they dump out of some channel that you don't notice. The exploded view of the carb is a big help. :thumbsup:

#6 ·
#9 ·
Hands down, the toughest part of a Q-jet is that accelerator pump arm. Technically, you need a small punch to drive the pin out. (toward the air horn). Real world, a small nail works great. Don't drive it all the way in until it stops. Just enough to free the arm. When you put the arm back on some gentle pressure from a flat screwdriver between the end of the pin and the air horn will push it right back in.

#10 ·
I just took my quadrajet apart and set the float. The Q-jet is a very misunderstood and under rated carb.

Read my thread on rebuilding the edlbrock the basics are the same.

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160307&highlight=edelbrock

Get your self some masking tape to hold and mark the parts. follow the instructions and if you get lost stop and get an answer. We are only a cell call away...

Take pictures of the carb before you start so you have a reference to put the linkage back, this can be the hardest part, like the choke linkage.

Don't get frustrated, just take it one step at a time.

I will PM you my number so you can call if you need...

#11 ·
You guys are amazing here. :thumbsup: Thank you all. I'll try to do a write up with plenty of pictures. Owning a car like this must have been impossible without forums. :laughing:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.