---> Discussion for TCI Transmission Install - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C4 Corvette Forums > C4 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C4 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 03-19-2008, 01:08 PM   #1
Dan85Vette
DC Crew

Member #9092

My Corvette(s)
'85 Vette - 383 TPI

Thumbs up! ---> Discussion for TCI Transmission Install

Any questions or comments about the transmission install, post 'em here. We want to know what ya think!

TCI Auto will also be happy to answer any specific technical questions that go beyond my mental bank.

You can view photos of the installation here

**Click here to see the full article**
FEATURE: TCI TRANS IN 1985 CORVETTE

Click for Larger View

TCI Auto
151 Industrial Drive
Ashland, MS 38603
Phone: 888.776.9824
Email: tech2@tciauto.com
www.tciauto.com
Dan85Vette is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2008, 02:30 PM   #2
WIT911
DC Crew

Member #13981
Location: Hiding in the dark shadow preparing to jump at you and say "hello there"

My Corvette(s)
'93 40th Annv Coupe (sold), '03 MY Roadster (sold), 2007 LMB Coupe (Grand Sport Tribute)

Sweet write up!

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/inde...-TRANSMISSIONS

Does TCI specialize in just C4 transmissions or do they work on all generations?
WIT911 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2008, 02:43 PM   #3
Dan85Vette
DC Crew

Member #9092

My Corvette(s)
'85 Vette - 383 TPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIT911 View Post
Sweet write up!

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/inde...-TRANSMISSIONS

Does TCI specialize in just C4 transmissions or do they work on all generations?
Thanks bro! TCI serves a wide range of transmission needs with heavy coverage in GM, Ford, Chrysler and Sport Compact too. They've got it anywhere from stock to wild race setups.

Like many Corvette owners, I found myself in the middle of that spectrum, wanting something stronger than stock that would last and give me room to grow performance-wise. I want to use the car the way it was designed, and the stock trans barely allowed for that.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:19 PM   #4
Stealth_11
Account Disabled.

Member #69062

Would adding a transmission cooler not complicate things more AND give something else to possibly break if a hose burst or you hit a bump?

Actually I have something else to ask. What makes the stock transmission so weak? The early ones are atleast.
Stealth_11 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2008, 03:53 PM   #5
Dan85Vette
DC Crew

Member #9092

My Corvette(s)
'85 Vette - 383 TPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth_11 View Post
Would adding a transmission cooler not complicate things more AND give something else to possibly break if a hose burst or you hit a bump?
For my step up, no, I don't truly need the added cooler. Since I'm using a stock rated torque converter, I'm not producing as much heat as I would with a higher stall converter. So long as I'm in motion, the trans will cool itself well, especially with the formulated TCI fluid. Adding the transmission cooler would have been a really easy step, had my '85 not had dual radiator fans. The extra cooler will act more as an additional insurance. The TCI kit came with everything we needed, hardly complicated. Other year C4s don't necessarily run duel fans, but had we had another hour or two, we could have made the space needed for the cooler.

Quote:
Actually I have something else to ask. What makes the stock transmission so weak? The early ones are atleast.
Well they got better in '88 when they added the much stronger 28-element sprag, compared to the 26-element of earlier 700r4s. As seen in my case, the clutches are adequate to get the job done but rarely can take the abuse, this is where total rebuilds can rise to greatness with better materials and added clutches for wear.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:38 PM   #6
The Shield
The Punisher

Member #9749

My Corvette(s)
1986 Z51 RED A4 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan85Vette View Post
Well they got better in '88 when they added the much stronger 28-element sprag, compared to the 26-element of earlier 700r4s. As seen in my case, the clutches are adequate to get the job done but rarely can take the abuse, this is where total rebuilds can rise to greatness with better materials and added clutches for wear.
The sprag's and clutches were the weak link in 700R4's. 1988 and beyond it was limited to primarily the clutches that were the weak point and most common failure.

I've told Dan this and I'll post it here. Quoting my dad who knows ALOT about GM tranny's....."The 700R4/4L60E are the weakest RWD transmissions GM made/makes".

Reading threads here about 700R4's and my soon to fail 4L60E in my GMC truck is enough proof of that for me. Oh, BTW, dad's tranny in his Chevy truck is failing also.

Great write up Dan-O!
The Shield is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
-The original point and click interface was Smith & Wesson!
-If you don't know your rights, you don't have any.
-"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin

HOCKEYTOWN, USA
--Guff--
Old 03-19-2008, 04:49 PM   #7
Dan85Vette
DC Crew

Member #9092

My Corvette(s)
'85 Vette - 383 TPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shield View Post
I've told Dan this and I'll post it here. Quoting my dad who knows ALOT about GM tranny's....."The 700R4/4L60E are the weakest RWD transmissions GM made/makes".

Reading threads here about 700R4's and my soon to fail 4L60E in my GMC truck is enough proof of that for me. Oh, BTW, dad's tranny in his Chevy truck is failing also.
Thanks for the technical backup Ron! Your dad diagnosed my trans problem from like 700 miles away (may be he smelled the fried clutch) you both picked me up and got me headed in the right direction. It was horrible not knowing exactly what was wrong and not being able to fix it myself.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:17 PM   #8
The Torch
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #799

My Corvette(s)
2004 Black/Mod Red-Z06

TCI is also a great name in the Street Rod circles too. They do quality work with quality products.
The Torch is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
RACING...Because with baseball, football, basketball, tennis, and golf, you only need one ball

I used to think that I had learned patience as I got older. Then I realized that I just didn't give a shit
Old 03-19-2008, 05:44 PM   #9
grumpyvette
DC Pit Crew

Member #1106

My Corvette(s)
retired engineer, engine builder, racer 1985.1992.1996 cpes

personally ID like to see detailed & step bye step pictures of the conversion of a C4 corvette from the pathetic stock 700r4 to a 4L80E with a full manual control that inclued the part numbers and prices of those parts ,that they... (TCI).. sell as an option for the C4 with the adapters they use.
the 700r4 is far too weak to stand up to constant serious tq levels that a sbc on serious nitrous or a BBC swap can and does provide and since the electronic controls for a 4l80e cost close to $1k and I think most vette guys that build seious engine combos have no problem with a manual controlled auto if it saves them $1k but would still like an OD top gear , to keep the rpm levels reasonable on the highway at cruise speeds of 60-70mph,,I think thats the route IM going with my BBC swap

BTW a package deal with all necessary parts under one part # would be helpful
grumpyvette is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
" IF YOU CAN,T SMOKE THE TIRES AT WILL,FROM A 60 MPH ROLLING START YOUR ENGINE NEEDS MORE WORK!!"
Old 03-19-2008, 05:51 PM   #10
The Shield
The Punisher

Member #9749

My Corvette(s)
1986 Z51 RED A4 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan85Vette View Post
Thanks for the technical backup Ron! Your dad diagnosed my trans problem from like 700 miles away (may be he smelled the fried clutch) you both picked me up and got me headed in the right direction. It was horrible not knowing exactly what was wrong and not being able to fix it myself.
That's what DC'ers are for bro!

So what you're trying to say is that unknowingly we had a part in this TCI writeup?
The Shield is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
-The original point and click interface was Smith & Wesson!
-If you don't know your rights, you don't have any.
-"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin

HOCKEYTOWN, USA
--Guff--
Old 03-19-2008, 06:02 PM   #11
Dan85Vette
DC Crew

Member #9092

My Corvette(s)
'85 Vette - 383 TPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyvette View Post
700r4 to a 4L80E with a full manual control that inclued the part numbers and prices of those parts ,that they... (TCI).. sell as an option for the C4 with the adapters they use. to stand up to constant serious tq levels that a sbc on serious nitrous or a BBC swap
Love your thinking there Grumpy, definitely sounds like an excellent option to run the big cube set ups on but still maintain road manners. Look forward to seeing what TCI offers with regards to a 4L80E swap, you'd certainly be the right guy for working it out too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shield
So what you're trying to say is that unknowingly we had a part in this TCI writeup?
Heck, the '85 wouldn't have gotten anywhere without the help of the DC community. It would have still been parked in Maryland and become a cool looking flower garden for all I know.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:12 PM   #12
The Chuck
Beard of Immortality

Member #66259

Looks like a nice setup but is the shift kit harsh? Friend of mine put one in his Z28 few years back and it chirped tires under part throttle.
The Chuck is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2008, 08:53 PM   #13
Dan85Vette
DC Crew

Member #9092

My Corvette(s)
'85 Vette - 383 TPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chuck View Post
Looks like a nice setup but is the shift kit harsh? Friend of mine put one in his Z28 few years back and it chirped tires under part throttle.
This came with a Stage 1 shift kit which is not harsh but is a big improvement over stock. You can order for a harder shift kit though. After we dialed in the shift points on the TV cable, it came together really well. The TPI isn't an upper RPM motor, so bringing the shift points down around 4800-5000 makes a noticeable difference.

Shifts are quick under any throttle input, but calm under light throttle. Now when you're hammering it, the shift is INSTANT. From a launch, it'll chirp 'em up going into 2nd. If you're manually shifting, it's there pretty quick.

I was concerned about having a shift kit, since I had zero experience with them. I had researched it and discovered they actually improve transmission life as they increase line pressure and decrease slippage. I really wasn't expecting it to be such a nice addition, but it's spiced up my drive.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:58 PM   #14
Spiderpat
Web Head

Member #39596

My Corvette(s)
04 Z06 aka The Black Widow

Damn, Great write up Dan
TCI is the Transmission place for sure. When I had my 79 I was considering getting their Street Fighter series for it.
Hey Dan, Do they do MN6's ???
How are they to deal with? Pretty fair I suppose?
Spiderpat is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
My Black Widow

Most of my patients survive no matter what I do to them
Old 03-20-2008, 08:59 AM   #15
iburke
Sir Dude

Member #6081

My Corvette(s)
1971 T-Top

TCI has always been one of my main sources for tranny info. They know what there talking about.

I run a 700r4 behind a 550 hp supercharged 383 ci and a 2800 stall and drag radials. It has been problem free for about 10k miles of the worst abusive driving you can imagine. Did I mention it has a line lock on it.

I love the 700's gearing real low 1st plus a good over drive. I can smoke the DR's all day long and still get 17 mpg on the high way with a manual controlled lock up converter.

I think my next addion is going to be TCI's
700R4 Constant Pressure Valve Body
Eliminate TV Cable-Induced 700R4 Failures Forever. yes...

Your going to love that tranny Dan.

Dang got so wrapped up in the transmission I forgot to tell how great the article was Dan...
iburke is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
I can't tell if I'm dealing well with life these days or I just don't give a shit any more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.