Class warfare drives away jobs, but attracts votes. - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > News Room
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

News Room This section is for discussing current events.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 05-01-2012, 11:17 PM   #1
vfpreacher111
Account Disabled.

Member #61087

My Corvette(s)
69 stingray

Class warfare drives away jobs, but attracts votes.

A small headline in the second section of the Wall Street Journal last week told a bigger story than a lot of front-page banner headlines. It said, “U.S. Firms Add Jobs, but Mostly Overseas.”

Just as there is no free lunch, there is no free class warfare. Some people may be inspired by President Obama’s talk about making “the rich” pay their undefined “fair share” of taxes, or taking away corporations’ “tax breaks.” But talk is not always cheap. It can be very costly to those working people who are looking for jobs that the Obama administration’s anti-business policies are driving overseas.

According to the Wall Street Journal, “Thirty-five big U.S.-based multinational companies added jobs much faster than other U.S. employers in the past two years, but nearly three-fourths of those jobs were overseas.” All these companies have at least 50,000 employees, so we are talking about a lot of jobs for foreigners with American companies overseas.

If the Wall Street Journal can figure this out, it seems certain that the president of the United States has economic advisers who can figure out the same thing. But that does not mean that the president is interested in the same thing.

In this, as in so much else, Barack Obama is interested in Barack Obama. Whatever bad effects his policies may have for others, those policies have had a track record of political success for many politicians in many places.

To put it bluntly, killing the goose that lays the golden eggs is a viable political strategy, provided the goose doesn’t die before the next election. In this case, the goose simply lays its golden eggs somewhere else, so there is no political danger to President Obama.

Unemployment may remain a problem to many Americans, but that only provides another occasion for the Obama administration to show its “compassion” with extended unemployment benefits, more food stamps, and various interventions to save home buyers from mortgage foreclosure. This can easily be a winning political strategy.

Franklin D. Roosevelt won his biggest landslide victory after his first term in office, during which the unemployment rate was never less than twice what it has been under Barack Obama.

The “smart money” inside the Beltway says that a high unemployment rate spells doom at the polls for a president. But history says that people who are getting government handouts tend to vote for whoever is doing the handing out.

The Obama administration has turned this into a handout state that breaks all previous records. Lofty rhetoric about “stimulus,” “shovel-ready projects,” “green jobs,” or “investment” in “the industries of the future” all give political cover to what are plain old handouts to people who are likely to vote to reelect Obama.

At the local level as well, history shows that some of the most successful politicians have been people who ruined the local economy and chased job-creating businesses away. Mayor Coleman Young of Detroit in the 1970s and 1980s was not worried when affluent whites began moving out of the city in response to his policies, because they were people who were likely to vote against him if they stayed.

Of course they took their taxes, their investment money, and the jobs they created with them. But that was Detroit’s problem, not Coleman Young’s problem. Barack Obama may win reelection by turning the United States into Detroit writ large.

Something similar happened in earlier times, when James Michael Curley served four terms as mayor of Boston, and two terms in prison. As the non-Irish left the city in response to his policies, Curley’s likelihood of being reelected increased.

This kind of cynical politics is even more likely to succeed when political opponents fail to articulate their case to the public. And Republicans are notorious for neglecting articulation.

The phrase “tax cuts for the rich” has been repeated endlessly by Democrats without one Republican that I know of saying, “Folks, I don’t lie awake at night worrying about millionaires’ tax problems. Millionaires have lawyers and accountants who get paid to do that. But I do worry about jobs being lost to millions of American workers because we make the business climate here worse than in other countries. That’s a high price to pay for rhetoric.”

The case can be made. But somebody has to make it.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...-thomas-sowell
vfpreacher111 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Former Democrat Elbert Guillory:
At the heart of liberalism is the idea that only a great and powerful big government can be the benefactor of social justice for all Americans. But the left is only concerned with one thing — control. And they disguise this control as charity. Programs such as welfare, food stamps, these programs aren’t designed to lift black Americans out of poverty, they were always intended as a mechanism for politicians to control the black community
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2012, 09:39 AM   #2
walleyfisher
DC Crew

Member #81755

My Corvette(s)
1974 coupe & 1984 coupe

No news here, villanizing somebody always produces followers, heck how do you think gangs are formed and wars are started
walleyfisher is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"If you're not on somebody's shit list, you're not doing anything worthwhile"
Old 05-02-2012, 11:01 AM   #3
Batbrain
DC Crew

Member #61943

My Corvette(s)
77 L48

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyfisher View Post
No news here, villanizing somebody always produces followers, heck how do you think gangs are formed and wars are started
Sounds like Rush Limbaugh's appeal.
Batbrain is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 11:25 AM   #4
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batbrain View Post
Sounds like Rush Limbaugh's appeal.
Except Rush Limbaugh doesn't kill jobs. He makes them. Obama wouldn't know how to do make a job if his life depended on it. He doesn't understand the transfer of money for goods and services. He only understands the transfer of money by government force.
Texdentist is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 11:40 AM   #5
Batbrain
DC Crew

Member #61943

My Corvette(s)
77 L48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texdentist View Post
Except Rush Limbaugh doesn't kill jobs. He makes them. Obama wouldn't know how to do make a job if his life depended on it. He doesn't understand the transfer of money for goods and services. He only understands the transfer of money by government force.
How does Limbaugh make jobs, except maybe on an Oxycontin production line?

The only thing Limbaugh does is kill the brain cells of his listeners.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:42 AM   #6
walleyfisher
DC Crew

Member #81755

My Corvette(s)
1974 coupe & 1984 coupe

Quote:
I guess his Two if by Tea fills itself
walleyfisher is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"If you're not on somebody's shit list, you're not doing anything worthwhile"
Old 05-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #7
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)

Quote:

The only thing Limbaugh does is kill the brain cells of his listeners.
Well, he has a fairly large business betwee his radio program and his website and books. I assume there are quite a few people employed as a result. I'm not sure Obama has ever created a single job that wasn't paid for by taxpayers. If you don't see the difference, there is no hope for you.

Oh, yeah. Just saw the last post. Two if by Tea. For those of you on the left, that involves actually exchanging a product for remuneration. It's called Capitalism. Look it up. It's on Wikipedia.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:53 PM   #8
Batbrain
DC Crew

Member #61943

My Corvette(s)
77 L48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texdentist View Post
Well, he has a fairly large business betwee his radio program and his website and books. I assume there are quite a few people employed as a result. I'm not sure Obama has ever created a single job that wasn't paid for by taxpayers. If you don't see the difference, there is no hope for you.

Oh, yeah. Just saw the last post. Two if by Tea. For those of you on the left, that involves actually exchanging a product for remuneration. It's called Capitalism. Look it up. It's on Wikipedia.
Hmm...Obama has written two books, I imagine that printing, binding, shipping and selling those has added a bit to the stream of commerce.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:51 PM   #9
vfpreacher111
Account Disabled.

Member #61087

My Corvette(s)
69 stingray

Still doesn't make up for the millions of jobs lost due to his policy's of importance...

By the way... since you feel Rush's prescription drug abuse is of significance -I would imagine you are floored by obama's illegal drug use and sales.
At the heart of liberalism is the idea that only a great and powerful big government can be the benefactor of social justice for all Americans. But the left is only concerned with one thing — control. And they disguise this control as charity. Programs such as welfare, food stamps, these programs aren’t designed to lift black Americans out of poverty, they were always intended as a mechanism for politicians to control the black community
Old 05-02-2012, 10:57 PM   #10
87vette81big
DC Crew

Member #117927

My Corvette(s)
1987 Corvette Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfpreacher View Post
Still doesn't make up for the millions of jobs lost due to his policy's of importance...

By the way... since you feel Rush's prescription drug abuse is of significance -I would imagine you are floored by obama's illegal drug use and sales.

Sorry, funny stuff...........

lol

87vette81big is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 06:34 AM   #11
Vette_Newb
The Copy/Paste King

Member #6180

My Corvette(s)
1989 L98 Coupe

Quote:
Hmm...Obama has written two books, I imagine that printing, binding, shipping and selling those has added a bit to the stream of commerce.
No, he hasn't. They were ghostwritten and the girlfriend was made up..

Fiction maybe?
Vette_Newb is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Fascism is a religion of the state. It assumes the organic unity of the body politic and longs for a national leader attuned to the will of the people. It is totalitarian in that it views everything as political and holds that any action by the state is justified to achieve the common good. It takes responsibility for all aspects of life, including our health and well-being, and seeks to impose uniformity of thought and action, whether by force or through regulation and social pressure. Everything, including economy and religion, must be aligned with its objectives.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:47 AM   #12
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
OK. I'll give you a C+ on that one. Yes, he added to the stream of commerce, but he didn't create new jobs. Rush did.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:52 AM   #13
vfpreacher111
Account Disabled.

Member #61087

My Corvette(s)
69 stingray

Bill Ayers Admits (Again) He Wrote Obama’s First Book

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2011...as-first-book/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.