non-ethinol gasoline - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C6 Corvette Forums > C6 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C6 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 10-21-2012, 09:16 AM   #1
blucpe
DC Crew

Member #57782

My Corvette(s)
2013 ctber grey gs corvette

non-ethinol gasoline

what's everyones thoughts on using 90 octane ethinol free gasoline in their corvette.
blucpe is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2012, 10:28 AM   #2
Billy Johnso
DC Crew

Member #46870

My Corvette(s)
77 and 05 S/C

That would be the way to go. Ethanol gas sucks and is not that great for your entire fuel system/motor. I would try to run higher octane levels than 90, unless that is the highest you can get. Here in Mass there is not one station that is ethanol free.
Billy Johnso is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
1977-stock

2005-A+A Supercharger-RPM trans-3000 stall Yank converter-Melrose headers-Xpipe-Borla touring mufflers-6psi of alcohol-tuned at Slowhawk Performance-573 RWHP 495 RWTQ-11.4 in the 1/4 at 122 mph spinning 1st and breaking loose in 2ndneed slicks!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia9w-bVmQsQ my burn out at 2:53
The Following User Says Thank You to Billy Johnso For This Useful Post:
blucpe (10-21-2012)
Old 10-21-2012, 10:33 AM   #3
blucpe
DC Crew

Member #57782

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Johnso View Post
That would be the way to go. Ethanol gas sucks and is not that great for your entire fuel system/motor. I would try to run higher octane levels than 90, unless that is the highest you can get. Here in Mass there is not one station that is ethanol free.
unfortunately 90 oct. is the highest here.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:37 AM   #4
ArKay99

Member #43955

My Corvette(s)
1999 FRC - 2009 Z06

Garage
What Billy said...
Here in Florida there are a few stations, if you can find them, that have non-ethanol pumps, usually from a different distributor than the station. I've got one right around the corner from me. They used to sell 93 octane non-ethanol, but have dropped it to 90 octane. I've got a highly modded motor with high compression, so octane is important, and ethanol just saps the hp and torque...I can definitely feel it. I know there are a LOT of boat owners that tow in this area and non-ethanol makes sense for them to use.

What I do is keep a case of Torco and a can in the car when I go to fuel up and throw about 1/2 can in before I put the nozzle in. THat brings my octane up enough I don't hear ping. I would stay away from those cheap octane boosters you find at Advance, they don't do much if anything. On a side note, an unmodded vette will run fine on 89 octane pure, if you can find it. There is a low octane table in the pcm and if it detects enogh knock, it will switch to that table, and actually you will make the same power, because with less octane in the gas, there's more gas per unit to go boom, you just lose a little power due to less advance, but it comes out even.

On a side note, If I'm not mistaken, Rick Scott is gearing up to relax the statewide mandate that all pumps must use at least 10% ethanol, for this very reason.
ArKay99 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Extreme taxation, excessive controls, oppressive government competition with business, frustrated minorities and forgotten Americans are not the products of free enterprise. They are the residue of centralized bureaucracy, of government by a self-anointed elite. - Ronald Reagan
Old 10-21-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
Billy Johnso
DC Crew

Member #46870

My Corvette(s)
77 and 05 S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucpe View Post
unfortunately 90 oct. is the highest here.
That is high enough, that level will keep your timing up. At least you can get ethanol free. All that ethanol does is attract more water to your gasoline, eat away at your seals and hoses and start to corrode your fuel system. I run fuel stabilizers to treat ethanol problems.
1977-stock

2005-A+A Supercharger-RPM trans-3000 stall Yank converter-Melrose headers-Xpipe-Borla touring mufflers-6psi of alcohol-tuned at Slowhawk Performance-573 RWHP 495 RWTQ-11.4 in the 1/4 at 122 mph spinning 1st and breaking loose in 2ndneed slicks!!!!!

Old 11-05-2012, 09:46 AM   #6
blucpe
DC Crew

Member #57782

My Corvette(s)

thank for all the information.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:35 PM   #7
LMBC6Brian
DC Crew

Member #67601

My Corvette(s)
2007 A&A vortech C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Johnso View Post
That is high enough, that level will keep your timing up. At least you can get ethanol free. All that ethanol does is attract more water to your gasoline, eat away at your seals and hoses and start to corrode your fuel system. I run fuel stabilizers to treat ethanol problems.
This couldnt be more false internet mumbo jumbo. All cars from 2003 forward have been federally mandated to have all the correct hardware and seals to safely and completely run ethanol. As in E85, not just gas with a low % of ethanol. This is very well known, and I know several people that have been running E85 in older vettes, camaros and mustangs for years with no problems. E85 runs cooler, cleaner and will allow you to fine tune your car much better than on 93 pump gas. My local tuner has been tuning street and race cars on E85 and will not run anything else on stock and big time upgraded fuel systems. Please dont repeat your gibberish again. Do some research before you post, or dont post at all.
LMBC6Brian is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Brian - 2011 Silver Grand Sport MN6.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LMBC6Brian For This Useful Post:
blucpe (11-11-2012), ironhorse (11-11-2012)
Old 11-16-2012, 05:31 PM   #8
Billy Johnso
DC Crew

Member #46870

My Corvette(s)
77 and 05 S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMBC6Brian View Post
This couldnt be more false internet mumbo jumbo. All cars from 2003 forward have been federally mandated to have all the correct hardware and seals to safely and completely run ethanol. As in E85, not just gas with a low % of ethanol. This is very well known, and I know several people that have been running E85 in older vettes, camaros and mustangs for years with no problems. E85 runs cooler, cleaner and will allow you to fine tune your car much better than on 93 pump gas. My local tuner has been tuning street and race cars on E85 and will not run anything else on stock and big time upgraded fuel systems. Please dont repeat your gibberish again. Do some research before you post, or dont post at all.
First off, all my post on this site are knowledgeable. I research before all my post, if I donít know the answers. I don't try to stare anyone down the wrong path. I do not have a testing facility for testing fuels. Everything that I have read on ethanol, or asked people, it is the same answers. It is a proven fact that ethanol attract water to itself. I guess water is great for your car.(not the paint) Water corrodes. Not over night, but it does affect your car. I did not say one thing about E-85 in any of my post, and E-85 has nothing to do with the original question. It was asked if he should run ethanol free gas, I simply told him yes, and the effect of ethanol blended gas. Everyone who cares about their car would rather run non ethanol gas, why is that? Also according to your post all cars before 2003 do not have the federally mandated hardware and seals, after 2003 there protected from the effects of ethanol with the proper seals and hardware? So your saying or "they" say ethanol does have harmful effects on vehicles? I would say my post had truth to it.
Here is a great thread from some Knowledgeable people on this site
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...ht=ethanol+gas
1977-stock

The Following User Says Thank You to Billy Johnso For This Useful Post:
pickettschar (11-16-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.