1963-1982 Steering Box Rebuilding - Page 5 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C3 Corvette
C3 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

( Sponsored by: Zip Corvette Parts )

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 10-04-2012, 12:06 PM   #61
gtr1999
Supporting Vendor

Member #44662

My Corvette(s)
69 & 72

Mobil 1 is known to separate and leak, I have used in in boxes and bearings for years but no longer. I had a small % of boxes weep using it and found bearing drag with it in T/A bearings. If you used the Mobil 1 and you correctly setup the bearings and box, experienced no leaks, then you are ok-sleep well. You would know if it was leaking by now. The grease itself is very good, it's just the oil separation issue that I have seen with it that caused me to switch to other brands.

As far as vendors, that means nothing to me. My builds are unlike any other out there. I've seen some of the boxes, arms, and diffs others have built & shipped to guys, they were plain bad. I had to repair those and actually documented some of them in various threads.
gtr1999 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Gary
69 vert 350 M20-373's
72 coupe 350,TH400,336's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #62
6t9ttop
DC Crew

Member #95161

thanks Gary, and I appreciate the timely response
6t9ttop is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 06:55 AM   #63
Vette-kid
DC Crew

Member #51514

My Corvette(s)
02 Z06 EB

Gary, look for an email from me. I seen nothing but good coments on your service and need a rebuild for my 78.
Vette-kid is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 07:34 AM   #64
gtr1999
Supporting Vendor

Member #44662

My Corvette(s)
69 & 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette-kid View Post
Gary, look for an email from me. I seen nothing but good coments on your service and need a rebuild for my 78.
Thanks got it and returned some info.
Gary
69 vert 350 M20-373's
72 coupe 350,TH400,336's
Old 11-09-2012, 11:10 AM   #65
gtr1999
Supporting Vendor

Member #44662

My Corvette(s)
69 & 72

Hi Guys,
I just want to go over a question I get a lot on box gear condition.

Many times I get in boxes that were rebuilt by others and the gears are bad. What most don't know is with those common rebuilt boxes on the market they reuse the original gears in the builds. You will not get a rebuilt box for $150-$250 with new gears in it. Hopefully you will get a box that was correctly built and the internal parts, all of them, have been replaced. Few that I see have been rebuilt, other then painting and over-greasing.

So what can you do to check your box that you find is sloppy? Sometimes you can adjust the lash but that by itself is only a partial check and adjustment. You can look at the lash screw in the cover and see how many threads are showing to get a"ball-park" idea on lash engagement BUT this is not going to give you a true go- no go on them. Since I mentioned checking the lash thread point years ago I have seen many people use that as a reference on all the online forums which may give people the wrong impression they still have good gears.

If the box is sloppy and there are several threads showing, it may very well be once the lash adjustment is made the scew is buried in the nut and cover. This leaves little if any room for adjustment.

THE BEST WAY to check your box is OUT of the car. Not only does the lash engagement need to be checked but the condition of the gears, as I outlined previously in this thread. I have dialed in original gears only to find pitting on the ball screw and bearing radius which will give you a rough bearing preload. The new gears I stock dial in the preload smooth, no jumping, some originals will as well but it all comes down to each box.

Unless you know for sure about the engagement, preload, sideplay, lash gap, and other check points you will not get the performance out of the box when you are done. I believe this is one reason many have walked away from the Saginaw boxes in favor of the aftermarket and many times a correctly setup box will be a 100% better then expected.

As for new gears I don't know who has any left, I have plenty, but the last time I checked with some vendors they were out once Corvette Steering closed last January.

Good luck and be sure to check your work as you go along.
Gary
69 vert 350 M20-373's
72 coupe 350,TH400,336's
Old 11-09-2012, 05:20 PM   #66
paul67
DC Crew

Member #64295

My Corvette(s)
1974 Convertible

A note that sent to Gary about one month ago.

Hello Gary,

That blue-printed steering box on my 1974 performed flawlessly during the 2012 driving season. No leaks or other issues.

It will be 28*F tonight so my Corvette year is finished. Nonetheless, I wish to thank you once again for providing such a high-quality product!

Paul

That pretty much sums up quality rebuilding. It was a little more than $180.00 EBay-style but well worth it!

Last drive of 2012; top up, heater on. Hope to have a black vinyl Hardtop on by spring.

Last edited by paul74; 11-09-2012 at 05:56 PM.
paul67 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 08:37 PM   #67
gtr1999
Supporting Vendor

Member #44662

My Corvette(s)
69 & 72

Hi Paul,
Thank you.

I'm glad I was of help to you and that you had a great driving season. The box I supplied you was dialed in perfectly.

Black vinyl tops are great. My buddy had one on his 71 454 with forest green paint. The car looked great and when ever I get back to my 69 vert would like to put one on it with the Lemans Blue paint and redlines.
Gary
69 vert 350 M20-373's
72 coupe 350,TH400,336's
Old 11-11-2012, 03:56 PM   #68
paul67
DC Crew

Member #64295

My Corvette(s)
1974 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr1999 View Post
Hi Paul,
Thank you.

I'm glad I was of help to you and that you had a great driving season. The box I supplied you was dialed in perfectly.

Black vinyl tops are great. My buddy had one on his 71 454 with forest green paint. The car looked great and when ever I get back to my 69 vert would like to put one on it with the Lemans Blue paint and redlines.
I go from one deal to another on these hardtops. I think I have found one finally that is OK for restoration but my local vinyl covering person is whining about the removal of the SS trim and the rear window. He will not give a guarantee re damage to the trim and rear glass breakage. Are these hardtops that delicate?
Old 11-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #69
gtr1999
Supporting Vendor

Member #44662

My Corvette(s)
69 & 72

I used my hardtop about 30 years ago for one winter and that was it. Yes I drove the car year round back then. It has less head room and bounced with heavy bumps even though I had it bolted in.

Still I like the vinyl coverings on them, mine is painted, so I may go back to it if I ever get back to working on it. My buddy never took the top off his 71, pulled the vert top & frame out and drove it like that.
Gary
69 vert 350 M20-373's
72 coupe 350,TH400,336's
Old 11-13-2012, 06:14 PM   #70
paul67
DC Crew

Member #64295

My Corvette(s)
1974 Convertible

The top arrived today. Looks very nice but wrong colors. I knew that and will get to work on that shortly with dye and paint. But in very nice condition overall. I am pleased.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:07 AM   #71
gtr1999
Supporting Vendor

Member #44662

My Corvette(s)
69 & 72

Jan-2013
FYI
Hi Fellows, just a few words on what I see and have been getting sent to me to correct on boxes sold on the common market. BUYER BEWARE. Just take a look at the current offerings on a certain auction site and you may or may not be amazed. I was, and the last few sent to me were from there.
Look at the used box pictures, the lash screws are buried in the nut, are rusted and worn out and are all over-priced cores.
The "rebuilt" ones aren't much better, one is shown without the lash nut even installed.

Sorry just venting but it bothers me to see fellow owners taken advantage of like this. This is probably why the after market steering systems seem so great when guys can't get a correctly setup box and think they are all like that or even worse when they are told that is how the steering was from the factory 40-50 years ago- pure nonsense. Ok I'll go now.
Gary
69 vert 350 M20-373's
72 coupe 350,TH400,336's
Old 01-21-2013, 12:10 PM   #72
D_B
DC Crew

Member #109378

My Corvette(s)
Custom / Modified 1977 Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr1999 View Post
Jan-2013
FYI
Hi Fellows, just a few words on what I see and have been getting sent to me to correct on boxes sold on the common market. BUYER BEWARE. Just take a look at the current offerings on a certain auction site and you may or may not be amazed. I was, and the last few sent to me were from there.
Look at the used box pictures, the lash screws are buried in the nut, are rusted and worn out and are all over-priced cores.
The "rebuilt" ones aren't much better, one is shown without the lash nut even installed.

Sorry just venting but it bothers me to see fellow owners taken advantage of like this. This is probably why the after market steering systems seem so great when guys can't get a correctly setup box and think they are all like that or even worse when they are told that is how the steering was from the factory 40-50 years ago- pure nonsense. Ok I'll go now.

I feel your pain Gary. I helped a guy here locally a few months ago who took it upon himself to order a reman unit from a big four letter website and installed it only to discover it felt worse than his old one...which he had already sent in as the core.

I put it on the bench and tested it like you taught me years ago. Not even close. Like you also suggested, no grease in the box.

I recommended he buy one from Bair's. It checked out great. I helped him install, and he's been amazed at how much better his steering feels. A quality built box makes all the difference.
D_B is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #73
edtekk
DC Crew

Member #85086

My Corvette(s)
1973 coupe

I would recommend Gary instead.
edtekk is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 01:27 PM   #74
D_B
DC Crew

Member #109378

My Corvette(s)
Custom / Modified 1977 Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by edtekk View Post
I would recommend Gary instead.

I do that too, however cost was the deciding factor. He had a very tight budget and I trust Bairs products.
D_B is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 01:46 PM   #75
edtekk
DC Crew

Member #85086

My Corvette(s)
1973 coupe

Gary's the man but I have used Bair's also. Nice to know you recommended Gary though. Not many like him left.
edtekk is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.