Here's one conservatives' take on REAL compromise... - Page 2 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > News Room
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

News Room This section is for discussing current events.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 11-16-2012, 02:12 PM   #16
MayZ
DC Crew

Member #73924

My Corvette(s)
2008 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsolo2 View Post
I understand what you're attempting to say and you're right... about large corporations! What I'm trying to get across, and this is also supported by many reams of data, is that the US economy is NOT driven by the corporate taxes of these few large corporations... it's driven by the many hundreds of thousands of small to medium sized businesses that DON'T have the ability to find and and take advantage of those tax loopholes! I've been in small to medium sized business environments all my life (I just happen to now work for a larger one) and I can tell you handily that the corporate tax payment is one that is made every year with great pain! There has been a great push in this nation to demonize "big business" when it isn't even "big business" that causes our economy to thrive and grow!
Valid argument on the SMBs! Unfortunately, the organization that formerly represented companies in this category has been co-opted by the multinationals. Yes, it is the Chamber of Commerce!

I worked 35 years for two large corporations. Whenever the economy would contract, we'd go downstream to take business from SMBs, mainly by setting up fronts using women, minority, and veteran small businesses. The agency tasked with promoting small business would identify the company, and send them to us along with the contract.

The entire system is rampant with fraud, waste, and abuse!
MayZ is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
MAYZ

2008 Z06 Black/Ebony
2LZ, Comp Grey Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 03:59 PM   #17
monsolo2
DC Crew

Member #35050

My Corvette(s)
1986 Two-Tone Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayZ View Post
Valid argument on the SMBs! Unfortunately, the organization that formerly represented companies in this category has been co-opted by the multinationals. Yes, it is the Chamber of Commerce!

I worked 35 years for two large corporations. Whenever the economy would contract, we'd go downstream to take business from SMBs, mainly by setting up fronts using women, minority, and veteran small businesses. The agency tasked with promoting small business would identify the company, and send them to us along with the contract.

The entire system is rampant with fraud, waste, and abuse!
EXACTLY!! You're actually helping me make my point! Small businesses are being attacked from two fronts... ugly competition from larger corporations and the tax system of the federal government. The economy of this country was originally concieved around the notion that anyone could start a business and even FAIL without consequence (in most cases). All that would be lost was you and your partner's investment and time. You could even pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and try again! That's why we need to protect small to medium sized businesses... most of the people in this country work for such places! That's why I advocate for even lower corporate taxes and lower captial gains taxes. You want to create a populace that can pay higher income taxes and thus a sustainable payoff of the nation debt??? Then create jobs that will pay them back even more than they're being taxed! How can a small business survive when they can't afford to expand by hiring more people? Or buy another machine that would give them more capacity and more work and the ability to compete better with larger companies?

This isn't pie-in-the-sky, banana-rama, good times, rock'n'roll crap!! This is reality!
monsolo2 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
You can only have it one way, America... individual freedom or big government. Which is it going to be?
Old 11-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #18
XQIZT
You've been pimped!!

Member #80197

My Corvette(s)
1985 Z51, 1977 custom

Quote:
EXACTLY!! You're actually helping me make my point! Small businesses are being attacked from two fronts... ugly competition from larger corporations and the tax system of the federal government. The economy of this country was originally concieved around the notion that anyone could start a business and even FAIL without consequence (in most cases). All that would be lost was you and your partner's investment and time. You could even pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and try again! That's why we need to protect small to medium sized businesses... most of the people in this country work for such places! That's why I advocate for even lower corporate taxes and lower captial gains taxes. You want to create a populace that can pay higher income taxes and thus a sustainable payoff of the nation debt??? Then create jobs that will pay them back even more than they're being taxed! How can a small business survive when they can't afford to expand by hiring more people? Or buy another machine that would give them more capacity and more work and the ability to compete better with larger companies?

This isn't pie-in-the-sky, banana-rama, good times, rock'n'roll crap!! This is reality!
Monsolo....no one is saying that on paper you don't have a valid argument. At least I'm not. Here's where the skepticism comes in. People see companies only looking out for themselves and their shareholders. So, instead of investing in making a better business, they take that profit and roll it into the bottom line, not into paying employees more or doing anything that the average employee gives a damn about. Until THAT happens, there is always going to be a group of people that don't care what happens to corporate tax rates, etc., since one way or another, they don't see a benefit (as long as they keep their job).
XQIZT is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Alexa" - 1985 Z51 - In memory of the last Corvette Dad owned.

"Desiree" - 1977 - Wife's car, with an attitude problem

Click here for more info about our cars and autocrossing and other Corvette stuff.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:28 PM   #19
MayZ
DC Crew

Member #73924

My Corvette(s)
2008 Z06

My point is that reducing corporate taxes and capital gains have no relationship to economic growth. That is the big lie that individual taxpayers are expected to believe, repeat, and defend at the ballot box.

I agree there are thousands more SMBs than there are multinationals. However, the latter are influencers of policy, law, and elections. When was the last time a small business paid $$$ to attend a fundraiser in hopes of getting 2 minutes with a elected official?

The US has a pay to play political system. This system uses economic theory as the enticement.
MayZ is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
MAYZ

2008 Z06 Black/Ebony
2LZ, Comp Grey Wheels
Old 11-16-2012, 07:48 PM   #20
Front Runner
DC Crew

Member #117837

Quote:
My point is that reducing corporate taxes and capital gains have no relationship to economic growth. That is the big lie that individual taxpayers are expected to believe, repeat, and defend at the ballot box.

I agree there are thousands more SMBs than there are multinationals. However, the latter are influencers of policy, law, and elections. When was the last time a small business paid $$$ to attend a fundraiser in hopes of getting 2 minutes with a elected official?

The US has a pay to play political system. This system uses economic theory as the enticement.

What you've stated is pretty much what Nick (in my posted video) explains.
Front Runner is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message

C7 Stingray Corvette - Coming to a garage near me............
Old 11-16-2012, 10:53 PM   #21
c6vettedude
DC Crew

Member #120057

Quote:
The rates would matter if Corporate was doing what it should be doing, and that is creating, and keeping jobs here in the U.S., instead of worshipping the bottom line and sacrificing those jobs.
c6vettedude is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2006 Blk C6 vert w/A&A Supercharger kit w/V3 upgrade, Random Tech ceramic-coated LT headers w/hi-flo cats and Corsa Extreme exhaust. New dyno #'s 611rwhp/583tq
Old 11-17-2012, 02:10 PM   #22
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)
2001 Navy Blue Metallic Coupe

Garage
Quote:
Come one, Roadster, you're smarter than that!

Print it out and read it while you're sitting on the pot!
That's usually what I have to do with Preacher's posts.
Junkman2008 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."
Old 11-17-2012, 03:19 PM   #23
XQIZT
You've been pimped!!

Member #80197

My Corvette(s)
1985 Z51, 1977 custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
That's usually what I have to do with Preacher's posts.
If you print them on toilet paper, at least they'll be good for something.
XQIZT is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Alexa" - 1985 Z51 - In memory of the last Corvette Dad owned.

"Desiree" - 1977 - Wife's car, with an attitude problem

Click here for more info about our cars and autocrossing and other Corvette stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.