Hostess' Union Wins Big - Page 4 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > News Room
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

News Room This section is for discussing current events.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 11-18-2012, 10:06 AM   #46
Billy Johnso
DC Crew

Member #46870

My Corvette(s)
77 and 05 S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncherello View Post
There were no shareholders since Hostess inc was not a publicly traded company.

In March of this year, the Chief Restructuring Officer, Greg Rayburn, cut the salaries of the top four Hostess executives to $1 immediately upon his hire.

http://management.fortune.cnn.com/20...kies-bankrupt/

Because there were no shareholders. In fact the company offered 25% ownership to union employees in the the deal they turned down.
Before March of this year. The Hostessís failure was compounded by having six CEOís in 8 years who had no experience in the bread or cake baking industry, and despite their financial woes, the companyís CEO got a 300% salary increase from $750,000 to $2,250,000, and other top executives received raises worth hundreds-of-thousands of dollars; all while the company was struggling. Instead of acknowledging the lack of competent leadership and exorbitant executive salaries as contributing to the companyís decision to close its doors. Those figures do not include bonus's.
There workers contract were to take a 27 to 32 percent cuts in wages and benefits offered by management at the last contract talks. This would be the second pay cut for these workers in less than 10 years. The washington post http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...s=rss_politics
Billy Johnso is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
1977-stock

2005-A+A Supercharger-Melrose headers-Xpipe-Borla touring mufflers-6psi of alcohol-tuned at Slowhawk Performance-573 RWHP 495 RWTQ-11.4 in the 1/4 at 122 mph spinning 1st and breaking loose in 2ndneed slicks!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia9w-bVmQsQ my burn out at 2:53
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 10:08 AM   #47
Vette_Newb
The Copy/Paste King

Member #6180

My Corvette(s)
1989 L98 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Johnso View Post
It is not just one guy. There is a board of directors at that company, and never mind the shareholders. I do believe the ceos/shareholders deserve their pay, but not one of them took a pay cut, or were asked to. The company would never even ask the shareholders to give back. The Blue collar workers at Hostess already took a pay cut a few years back and now are asked to do it again. It sucked that this all went down, just like a lot of company's across this country, but all am saying is everyone points to blame the little guy or in this case unions. It all starts at the management, when things are good they raise their salaries, to the millions, and get huge bonus's. Then when time gets tuff, they donít take a pay cut, but ask the little guy? Their salaries and bonuses are million upon millions of dollars. If they gave a % back to the company, it would have done well. It might have saved the company? No one will ever know.
Quote:
There were no shareholders since Hostess inc was not a publicly traded company.

In March of this year, the Chief Restructuring Officer, Greg Rayburn, cut the salaries of the top four Hostess executives to $1 immediately upon his hire.

http://management.fortune.cnn.com/20...kies-bankrupt/

Because there were no shareholders. In fact the company offered 25% ownership to union employees in the the deal they turned down.
Well Billy, looks like you can gather up your crayons and helmet and head out..
Vette_Newb is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Fascism is a religion of the state. It assumes the organic unity of the body politic and longs for a national leader attuned to the will of the people. It is totalitarian in that it views everything as political and holds that any action by the state is justified to achieve the common good. It takes responsibility for all aspects of life, including our health and well-being, and seeks to impose uniformity of thought and action, whether by force or through regulation and social pressure. Everything, including economy and religion, must be aligned with its objectives.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:30 AM   #48
Billy Johnso
DC Crew

Member #46870

My Corvette(s)
77 and 05 S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette_Newb View Post
There six ceo's plus top executives took a 300% pay increase in the last eight years. The workers took a pay cut already. They want them to take another pay cut. So now the Ceos work for one dollar? I'm guessing those same ceo's will be just fine. Why would that be? I'm looking at the whole picture. You are looking at the workers and that they should take less money, while the big wigs took huge pay for so many years. You must be a Ceo? The workers did not get them in this mess; the big pay out to the ceo's and poor management started this mess.

By the way at least I can color in the lines. Have fun staying back in kindergarten.
1977-stock

2005-A+A Supercharger-Melrose headers-Xpipe-Borla touring mufflers-6psi of alcohol-tuned at Slowhawk Performance-573 RWHP 495 RWTQ-11.4 in the 1/4 at 122 mph spinning 1st and breaking loose in 2ndneed slicks!!!!!

Old 11-18-2012, 10:31 AM   #49
sixpeedreams
DC Crew

Member #17449

My Corvette(s)
'80 & '95 Z28's (poor man's Vettes)

You know a company isn't taking advantage of its workers when its going broke. With all our labor laws the unions are no longer needed. That's why they are dying out -- except in the public sector where there is no competition, no need to attract customers, no need to meet a budget, and no way to go out of business. Democrats want equality but their ideas don't even attempt to produce goods, services or freedom -- they just shuffle them around, wasting much of it, and weaken the link between hard work, sacrifice, and prosperity. In the end every-day Americans just become equally poor and dependent.
sixpeedreams is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
You can crack your finger, but don't finger your crack.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:35 AM   #50
Poncherello
Grey Squirrel

Member #5040

My Corvette(s)
Looking

Quote:
Before March of this year. The Hostessís failure was compounded by having six CEOís in 8 years who had no experience in the bread or cake baking industry,
That didn't seem to matter to people like you when the country elected a President with no experience other than agitating communities.

Quote:
and despite their financial woes, the companyís CEO got a 300% salary increase from $750,000 to $2,250,000, and other top executives received raises worth hundreds-of-thousands of dollars; all while the company was struggling.
That CEO resigned in May. The top four executives had their salaries cut to $1. Your article fails to mention to that.

Quote:
There workers contract were to take a 27 to 32 percent cuts in wages and benefits offered by management at the last contract talks.
These workers were offered 25% ownership in the company, anyone with half a brain knows that's a good deal. But instead of taking the risk to reap the benefit this union wanted all the benefits with none of the risk. They were also offered representation on the board of directors and $100 million in company debt to be repaid at a later date. In case you don't understand the benefits of an employee owned company..... the benefits that would have gone to shareholders and Wall St. instead go to the workers. Take a look at PCL Constructiuon Enterprises in Denver, that $4 billion company has 2200 employees with an average compensation of $94,000+..... an employee owned company. The best companies with the best working conditions, highest pay, best benefits, and best strategies are employee owned.

Quote:
This would be the second pay cut for these workers in less than 10 years. The washington post http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...s=rss_politics
They were asked to take an 8% pay cut with a 3% raise at the start of the second year and 1% raise in the last year in exchange for 25% ownership. With that ownership, the benfits would have outweighed the lost 4% salary but the Bakers union was to short sighted to see that. The Teamsters, while not endorsing the contract, understood that it should be up to members to decide because ultimately it was their lives that were affected. The much smaller bakers union screwed over thousands of others for their own short sighted greed.
Poncherello is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-18-2012, 10:43 AM   #51
sixpeedreams
DC Crew

Member #17449

My Corvette(s)
'80 & '95 Z28's (poor man's Vettes)

Quote:
You are looking at the workers and that they should take less money, while the big wigs took huge pay for so many years...the big pay out to the ceo's and poor management started this mess.
That could be true but you still don't have the right to tell someone else how to run THEIR company or how much THEY should pay themselves. Run your own company if you want that. This is called private property ownership and it is foundational to freedom -- owning the fruits of your personal time, labor, and investments. Every worker in this country is protected by adequate labor laws and has the right to choose who they work for, how much they are willing to work for, or whether they will work and prosper at all. Every worker also has the right to strike and to help bring a company down, but that has helped no one at Hostess -- not the management, workers, or the union.
sixpeedreams is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
You can crack your finger, but don't finger your crack.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:45 AM   #52
Vette_Newb
The Copy/Paste King

Member #6180

My Corvette(s)
1989 L98 Coupe

Quote:
There six ceo's plus top executives took a 300% pay increase in the last eight years. The workers took a pay cut already. They want them to take another pay cut. So now the Ceos work for one dollar? I'm guessing those same ceo's will be just fine. Why would that be? I'm looking at the whole picture. You are looking at the workers and that they should take less money, while the big wigs took huge pay for so many years. You must be a Ceo? The workers did not get them in this mess; the big pay out to the ceo's and poor management started this mess.
Yes, I am. Yes, I put in the 60-90 hours a week for 10 years to build this thing (Sorry Barry, I did build this) while the employees were doing their shift and not worrying about keeping it afloat, finding funding, making sure they had a job to come to every week, trying to juggle a family in the mean time, while the employees spent their evenings and weekends bar-b-que'ing, etc. There are many of us who set out to build something that benefits many people. I wouldn't live in a state where I had to have unions do anything, simply because they are vampires. Union employees care about 2 things, union bennies and bitching about management.

Most (not all) CEO's earn their top pay from years of sacrificing. Most (not all) union employees earn their shitty pay from years of trying to destroy what someone else built.

Quote:
By the way at least I can color in the lines. Have fun staying back in kindergarten.
Have fun being someone else's employee..
Fascism is a religion of the state. It assumes the organic unity of the body politic and longs for a national leader attuned to the will of the people. It is totalitarian in that it views everything as political and holds that any action by the state is justified to achieve the common good. It takes responsibility for all aspects of life, including our health and well-being, and seeks to impose uniformity of thought and action, whether by force or through regulation and social pressure. Everything, including economy and religion, must be aligned with its objectives.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:42 AM   #53
Billy Johnso
DC Crew

Member #46870

My Corvette(s)
77 and 05 S/C

Quote:
Don't worry I will. I give him 110% every day, and make him a lot of money.

You started to make this personal, with a few comments toward me because of my opinions towards hostess, and you hate unions.

Quote:
Quote:
So I will make this personal. I wonder how your faithful employees would feel about your comment about them?
Quote:
Yes, I am. Yes, I put in the 60-90 hours a week for 10 years to build this thing (Sorry Barry, I did build this) while the employees were doing their shift and not worrying about keeping it afloat, finding funding, making sure they had a job to come to every week, trying to juggle a family in the meantime, while the employees spent their evenings and weekends bar-b-que'ing, etc.
I would hate to have you as a boss knowing how you would feel about me. I would strike on your ass, and get the rest of the workers to do so, and form a union. This is why unions were created, because boss's like you do not really appreciate the employees.
1977-stock

Old 11-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #54
Poncherello
Grey Squirrel

Member #5040

My Corvette(s)
Looking

Quote:

I would hate to have you as a boss knowing how you would feel about me. I would strike on your ass, and get the rest of the workers to do so,

That worked out pretty well for the Hostess union didn't it?
Poncherello is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-18-2012, 12:40 PM   #55
Vette_Newb
The Copy/Paste King

Member #6180

My Corvette(s)
1989 L98 Coupe

Quote:
Don't worry I will. I give him 110% every day, and make him a lot of money.

You started to make this personal, with a few comments toward me because of my opinions towards hostess, and you hate unions.
Actually, it was because of your reatarded-uninformed comments.

Quote:
So I will make this personal. I wonder how your faithful employees would feel about your comment about them?
Employees come and employees go. They don't give a shit if I survive, no more than you give a shit if your boss survives.

Quote:
I would hate to have you as a boss knowing how you would feel about me. I would strike on your ass, and get the rest of the workers to do so, and form a union. This is why unions were created, because boss's like you do not really appreciate the employees.
That's because like I said, unions are there to destroy. And I do appreciate your honesty and backing up my point.

Quote:
That worked out pretty well for the Hostess union didn't it?
Old 11-18-2012, 01:03 PM   #56
Billy Johnso
DC Crew

Member #46870

My Corvette(s)
77 and 05 S/C

Quote:
Employees come and employees go. They don't give a shit if I survive, no more than you give a shit if your boss survives.

Bull shit I have been with the same company for 12 years. I care more about my boss, and the company I work for, obviously more than you care for your employees. Your employees are just a number to you. You must have great morale around your employees. I guess this could go on all day but I have football, to watch, which every player is part of a union.
1977-stock

Old 11-18-2012, 04:51 PM   #57
Vette_Newb
The Copy/Paste King

Member #6180

My Corvette(s)
1989 L98 Coupe

Quote:
Bull shit I have been with the same company for 12 years. I care more about my boss, and the company I work for, obviously more than you care for your employees. Your employees are just a number to you.
Yeah right..

Quote:
You must have great morale around your employees.
Yep. 70% of my employees have been with me for more than 6 years. And they know who looks out for them..
Old 11-18-2012, 06:48 PM   #58
raidmagic
DC Crew

Member #1067

My Corvette(s)
Rare 1987 bright red

Quote:

You're an amazing spin doctor, at what point in his comments did he state he didn't like his employees?
raidmagic is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sampson 9/22/97-1/1/05

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read

Florida muscle car enthusiast click here
Old 11-18-2012, 07:11 PM   #59
87vette81big
DC Crew

Member #117927

My Corvette(s)
1987 Corvette Convertible

Unions have or had there place.
I have been in 2 of them.
UAW Aeorospace Union while a GM Master Mechanic.
UAW Caterpillar- Shop Steward.

Hostess- the Baker Union ficked up bad...........
No jobs now.
99 weeks later...........likely homeless & vehicles repoed.
Yeah bama will take care of them........give a golden shower pissing on them all.

Neutral about Unions today.
Good & bad experiences of my own.

I can stand on my own 2 feet & fight alone just fine.
Never known or heard of a Union Head Rep standing up knocking someone out cold.
Not enough backbone perhaps.

BR
87vette81big is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 09:00 PM   #60
DarthAWM
DC Crew

Member #83845

My Corvette(s)
2003 Torch Red 6 speed coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by XQIZT View Post
Do you really think anyone defends a Union demanding so much that it drives the employer out of business? Really? It's stupid generalizations like this that cause the crippling gridlock that we see.
See, two days later and nothing like that happened, wait check that it did
DarthAWM is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Never trust a man who won't eat bacon
-Jimmy Dean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.