RE: Conservative Pundit endorse Palin for 2016 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > News Room
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

News Room This section is for discussing current events.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 11-19-2012, 01:16 AM   #1
c6vettedude
DC Crew

Member #120057

RE: Conservative Pundit endorse Palin for 2016

Just when you thought that it couldn't get worse for Republicans:

If you were waiting with bated breath for the "Draft Palin" movement, it's your lucky day! Conservative columnist Charlotte Allen has endorsed Sarah for the 2016 GOP nomination in today’s Los Angeles Times. Allen argues, apparently with a straight face, that "large segments of the electorate neither know nor care much about serious economic and political issues," and that Palin is the ideal Republican vehicle for "appealing to voters' emotions." Continuing her penetrating political insights, Allen adds that the former governor’s good looks are key to Republican success, since "men love Sarah Palin, and she loves men." We'll just let that sink in

Full story:

By Charlotte Allen November 18, 2012

The Republican Party has been doing a lot of hand-wringing and finger-pointing since the presidential election. Half the conservative columnists and bloggers say the GOP lost because it overemphasized social issues such as abortion and gay marriage. The other half says the party didn't emphasize them enough. And everyone denounces Project ORCA, the campaign's attempt to turn out voters via technology.
But I've got a suggestion for cutting short the GOP angst: Sarah Palin for president in 2016.
You think I'm joking? Think again.

PHOTOS: 2016 presidential possibilities
In 2008, Palin, running as my party's vice presidential candidate, was widely supposed to have cost John McCain the election. But that wasn't so. A national exit poll conducted by CNN asked voters whether Palin was a factor in their voting. Of those who said yes, 56% voted for McCain versus 43% for Barack Obama.

Furthermore, Mitt Romney, the GOP's anointed contender this year, got almost a million fewer votes than McCain did in 2008. (Meanwhile, President Obama, although winning reelection, lost far more voters than the Republicans, with nearly 7 million fewer voters checking his name on their ballots than did in 2008).

Millions of Americans didn't much care for Obama and his Obamacare spending blowout, but they didn't feel like voting for Romney either. Some said that Romney didn't resonate with recession-hit blue-collar folks in swing states because he "looked like the boss who outsourced their jobs," as one blog commenter quipped.

Gabriel Malor, writing for the New York Daily News' blog, pinpointed another reason: By focusing his campaign mostly on serious economic and political issues such as the national debt and tax incentives, Romney failed to take into account the fact that large segments of the electorate neither know nor care much about serious economic and political issues. What they — a group sometimes euphemistically called "uninformed voters" — do know and care about are the tugs on their emotions, fears, revulsions and heart strings provided by hours and hours of uninterrupted television watching .

The Democrats understood how to reach that constituency. When a barrage of Obama campaign TV ads told them that the GOP wanted to take away their contraceptives or that Bain Capital killed someone's wife, they took notice. When Obama strolled the hurricane-stricken beaches of New Jersey in his bomber jacket, they were snowed. As Malor put it, Obama won on "binders, Big Bird, birth control and blame Bush."

Palin can more than keep up with the Democrats in appealing to voters' emotions. Hardly anyone could be more blue collar than Palin, out on the fishing boat with her hunky blue-collar husband, Todd. Palin is "View"-ready, she's "Ellen"-ready, she's Kelly-and-Michael-ready.
A Palin "war against women"? Hah! Not only is she a woman, she's got a single-mom daughter, Bristol, to help with the swelling single-mom demographic. On social issues, Palin, unlike Romney, has been absolutely consistent. And let's remember that most Americans, whatever their view of choice, disapprove of most abortions.

Gay marriage? Palin opposes it. But she is also a strong advocate of states' rights, and I'm betting she'd be fine with letting states and their voters grapple with the issue on their own. Remember that all of America didn't swing toward approval of gay marriage on Nov. 6. Three reliably blue states and their voters did. If she were smart, Palin would recruit a member of her impressive gay fanboy base — yes, she has one — to help run her campaign. I nominate Kevin DuJan of the widely read gay conservative blog HillBuzz, a Palin stalwart since 2008.

Palin's son Track is an Iraq war veteran, so she can be proudly patriotic without being labeled another George W. Bush, looking to do aggressive nation-building. She seems aware there is only one nation in need of building right now: America.

Furthermore, looks count in politics, and Palin at age 48, has it all over her possible competition, including Hillary Rodham Clinton, who will be 69 by election day 2016 and who let someone talk her into adopting the flowing blond locks of a college student, making her look like Brunnhilde in a small-town Wagner production. Men love Sarah Palin, and she loves men.

She's tough as nails too. After Election 2008, she was supposed to have been through. This year eight of the 14 GOP candidates Palin endorsed for Congress won election or reelection, including tea party favorite Ted Cruz for a Senate seat in Texas.
Sure, there is going to be never-ending nastiness from the left, but she's already lived through that once. Katie Couric? A has-been. Tina Fey? Her shtick was already wearing thin in 2008.

There are also the snooty East Coast Republican intellectual types, such as Peggy Noonan, who look down their noses at a woman who doesn't shop at Neiman Marcus and didn't attend an Ivy League university. But Peggy made a fool of herself calling the election for Romney on Nov. 5. Who's going to care what she and her ilk have to say next time?

Some Republicans will say Palin has too much baggage from 2008, and we need to look for a new Sarah Palin. But I don't see what's wrong with the one we've got. Ever since the 1990s, Republicans have been looking for the next Ronald Reagan. Reagan is now revered in bipartisan circles, but during his presidency he was, like Palin, ridiculed by liberals. They cited "Bedtime for Bonzo" and sneered at his no-name college degree.

Sarah Palin is the new Ronald Reagan: charming and affable and unwilling to back down if she's right. I can't see what's wrong with that.

I saw this comment relating to the story on the MSN, and just had to copy it:

"Hell no. She's an idiot, weathergirl, beauty pageant contestant. If Charlotte Allen thinks that makes a good Republican candidate then this country really does need to be nuked into oblivion. I would be hesitant to give Palin a job jumping out of cakes in a g-string during VFW birthday parties for war vets."

My humble opinion, It would be another disaster for her Party. She doesn't have the political "smarts" to be a successful politician (not that smarts is the only thing you need). She is smart, in that she recognizes this and has taken advantage of the financial opportunites that our polarized climate produces. She's squeezing everything out of her "15 minutes", and I can't find fault in her for that.

If I was a Democrat, or worked for SNL, I'd be very happy to see her make another "Run" at it.

.... and Oh, I'd have no problem with her jumping out of cakes in a "G" string.
c6vettedude is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2006 Blk C6 vert w/A&A Supercharger kit w/V3 upgrade, Random Tech ceramic-coated LT headers w/hi-flo cats and Corsa Extreme exhaust. New dyno #'s 611rwhp/583tq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 05:04 AM   #2
Geneus
DC Crew

Member #64482

My Corvette(s)
Z06

"To arms, to arms...the Americans are coming."
Geneus is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Forged 402 stroker, ETP 215 ported/polished heads, 1 7/8" AR headers, Fast 90/LS2 TB, Oz Exo-skel dual disc clutch, 5 point custom roll cage, 4.10 gears, DTE strut brace, DTE hardened output shaft, Rwhp/Rwtq?...enough to go 10.44@133.9 with a 1.55-60' and a slipping clutch...thank you RobZ for driving and ECS for the build.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:05 AM   #3
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)
2001 Navy Blue Metallic Coupe

Garage
"Palin is the Answer" does not sound like a winning strategy. As a matter of fact, it sounds more like party suicide.
Junkman2008 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."
Old 11-19-2012, 06:32 AM   #4
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

I pay pretty close attention to Conservative pundits, and I've never heard of Charlotte Allen. So, some fifth tier pundit has a dumb idea and that's news? Gimme a break.
Texdentist is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 06:47 AM   #5
c6vettedude
DC Crew

Member #120057

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texdentist View Post
I pay pretty close attention to Conservative pundits, and I've never heard of Charlotte Allen. So, some fifth tier pundit has a dumb idea and that's news? Gimme a break.
Ever think that you don't know ALL of them??

http://now.msn.com/sarah-palin-endorsed-by-charlotte-allen-conservative-pundit-for-2016

I didn't think that it mattered to you what tier?? Quick, somebody read the Conservative Pundit's "Standard order of procedures" . I guess she's only legit if she show's up on Fox News. Perhaps if she does, then she could join the others on FNC with dumb ass ideas!
2006 Blk C6 vert w/A&A Supercharger kit w/V3 upgrade, Random Tech ceramic-coated LT headers w/hi-flo cats and Corsa Extreme exhaust. New dyno #'s 611rwhp/583tq
Old 11-19-2012, 06:53 AM   #6
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by c6vettedude View Post
I think that's exactly what I said. I scour the internet weekly for various viewpoints. About 80% of the articles I read are from Conservatives. I've never heard of Charlotte Allen. I can say with some certainty that she is not a mainstream mouthpiece for the Conservative movement or I would have heard of her. She probably has something of a regional following - outside my region. Picking up her quote and trying to make it a national issue is just blowing up balloons so you can pop them.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:59 AM   #7
c6vettedude
DC Crew

Member #120057

Quote:
I think that's exactly what I said. I scour the internet weekly for various viewpoints. About 80% of the articles I read are from Conservatives. I've never heard of Charlotte Allen. I can say with some certainty that she is not a mainstream mouthpiece for the Conservative movement or I would have heard of her. She probably has something of a regional following - outside my region. Picking up her quote and trying to make it a national issue is just blowing up balloons so you can pop them.
Sooooo for the rest of us, we're supposed to follow your guidelines for what we post.. huh??

Don't see you giving your fellow conservatives grief about what they post up... but that's exactly the problem in your party. Few of you have the ability to think for yourselves. It's a "group-think" party.

Also, I'm not a conservative, so how the hell should I know what tier she's on??
Old 11-19-2012, 07:22 AM   #8
Vette_Newb
The Copy/Paste King

Member #6180

My Corvette(s)
1989 L98 Coupe

She isn't 5th tier. But she isn't exactly the "go to" pundit. She is entitled to her opinion, but the hand wringing and such needs to be about the GOP leadership.

GW Got 62 million votes in 2004.
McCain got 60 million
Romney got 57 million.

Obama got 10 million less votes in 2012 than 2008.. and won. The GOP is losing the base. I wear my tin foil hat proudly, the fix is in and the leadership is selling us out. RobertsCare, Romney, McCain, the GOP is moving too far from home and they will continue to suffer until the leadership is replaced.
Vette_Newb is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Fascism is a religion of the state. It assumes the organic unity of the body politic and longs for a national leader attuned to the will of the people. It is totalitarian in that it views everything as political and holds that any action by the state is justified to achieve the common good. It takes responsibility for all aspects of life, including our health and well-being, and seeks to impose uniformity of thought and action, whether by force or through regulation and social pressure. Everything, including economy and religion, must be aligned with its objectives.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:54 AM   #9
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by c6vettedude View Post
Sooooo for the rest of us, we're supposed to follow your guidelines for what we post.. huh??

Don't see you giving your fellow conservatives grief about what they post up... but that's exactly the problem in your party. Few of you have the ability to think for yourselves. It's a "group-think" party.

Also, I'm not a conservative, so how the hell should I know what tier she's on??
Wow. You're just itching for a fight aren't you? You can post anything you want, and I can make any rebuttal I want. If you don't want responses, my advice would be not to post. Sheesh!
Old 11-19-2012, 08:53 AM   #10
Poncherello
Grey Squirrel

Member #5040

My Corvette(s)
Looking

Who cares?
Poncherello is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-19-2012, 09:01 AM   #11
Patrick
DC Crew

Member #1

My Corvette(s)
Current: 2003 Convertible .... Previous: 1996, 1996 GS, 2001 vert, 2002 Z06, 2003, 2007 Z51, etc...

Palin.
Patrick is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 10:16 PM   #12
c6vettedude
DC Crew

Member #120057

Quote:
Wow. You're just itching for a fight aren't you? You can post anything you want, and I can make any rebuttal I want. If you don't want responses, my advice would be not to post. Sheesh!
Then how about taking your own advice then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.