Gen V V8 Info - Page 6 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C7 Corvette Forums > C7 Corvette - Facts | Info | Rumors
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C7 Corvette - Facts | Info | Rumors The first C7 Corvette info is rolling in...

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 10-29-2012, 12:35 AM   #76
Roadkillz
Formerly DOC7000

Member #820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enginerd View Post
I'm not too sure about that. It says "independent intake & exhaust VVT," which the new LT1 does not have. Though the other info looks legit, but that is a big one to get wrong.
This sheet was very early on, and based on what I read in the LT-1 release they looked at such a system but decided against it on the LT-1.

Also, for the ATS V they are looking at both a TT V-6 and the 6.2L V-8 engine. I heard that the main guy calling the shots wants a TT V-6 in the ATS V (I think this is a HUGE mistake) however they were having issue with that engine in early development. So there is still hope that the right engine will find its way into the ATS V beast.
Roadkillz is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. " Aristotle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2012, 11:27 AM   #77
spd98
DC Crew

Member #4658

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimer View Post
The prelim numbers for the LT1 are also balanced - 450 / 450. That's showing 438 for the tq.
Rmember in this day that the engine ratings will not be the same in the ATs and in the C7. The certified numbers use production intake tracts and exhuast.

Also keep in mind that GM hinted at 550 for the LSA in the ZL1. It ended up quite a bit higher.
spd98 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2012, 12:15 AM   #78
Roadkillz
Formerly DOC7000

Member #820

Quote:
Originally Posted by spd98 View Post
Rmember in this day that the engine ratings will not be the same in the ATs and in the C7. The certified numbers use production intake tracts and exhuast.

Also keep in mind that GM hinted at 550 for the LSA in the ZL1. It ended up quite a bit higher.
I am not holding my breathe for a huge difference in the 450BHP rating currently thrown around and the certified rating. Remember this engine has AFM and the AFM lifters really limit how aggressive the cam can be.

A better comparo would not be between the LS3 and the LT-1 but between the L99 and the LT-1 engine. Both engines have VVT and AFM, with the LT-1 engine adding direct injection.

People forget that while the manual transmission Camaro SS got the LS3 engine rated at 426BHP the automatic car got the L99 rated at 400BHP. The reason that the manual car did not get the L99 engine was an issue with AFM working properly and sounding right with manual transmission cars.

Obviously with the LT-1 they are talking a ton about its flat torque curve.

I expect it to be an amazing engine the Gen V engines, though the LT-1 version is obviously the most tamed variant in the Corvette.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. " Aristotle
Old 10-30-2012, 06:08 AM   #79
spd98
DC Crew

Member #4658

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkillz View Post
I am not holding my breathe for a huge difference in the 450BHP rating currently thrown around and the certified rating. Remember this engine has AFM and the AFM lifters really limit how aggressive the cam can be.

A better comparo would not be between the LS3 and the LT-1 but between the L99 and the LT-1 engine. Both engines have VVT and AFM, with the LT-1 engine adding direct injection.

People forget that while the manual transmission Camaro SS got the LS3 engine rated at 426BHP the automatic car got the L99 rated at 400BHP. The reason that the manual car did not get the L99 engine was an issue with AFM working properly and sounding right with manual transmission cars.

Obviously with the LT-1 they are talking a ton about its flat torque curve.

I expect it to be an amazing engine the Gen V engines, though the LT-1 version is obviously the most tamed variant in the Corvette.
First off the 450 isn't a rating at all. Gm has say at least. The lifters on this engine are NOT the same as the LS ones they are MUCH smaller (lower mass means less force on the valetrain). Then you also have to remember that the cam size and duration have to be factored into how well everything else flows. If the ehads and the intake flow substantially better you don't need as big of a cam.

My point is that there are plenty of other factors to consider. This engine has higher compession and more eff on the combustions side. Then you also have adjustable valve timing as well as fuel timing (a huge amount of potential KR elimination).

GM will, like always, leave HP on the table, the question is how much?
Old 10-31-2012, 01:36 AM   #80
Roadkillz
Formerly DOC7000

Member #820

I wonder which tuner will be the first to make a 7.0L LT-1 V-8 engine, I know that LPE offers a 570BHP 427 LS3 engine for $20,000. Katech has a 427 LS3 with an est. 600BHP, so how much would a 427 LT-1 engine produce given that it uses VVT, direct injection, and already has a 11.5:1 compression ratio.

BTW, for the top of the line Corvette GM should benchmark Katechs ultra track attack.... 717BHP and 2,900 pounds...
Old 11-02-2012, 11:27 PM   #81
sixpeedreams
DC Crew

Member #17449

My Corvette(s)
'80 & '95 Z28's (poor man's Vettes)

WHAT IS WITH the plastic engine covers!?!? Let us see the engine for gods sake. If the intake manifold is rough looking then spice it up a little but come on. The SBC is the heart, soul, history, and half the draw of the Corvette. Don't hide it. How can they not get that???
sixpeedreams is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
You can crack your finger, but don't finger your crack.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:16 AM   #82
Roadkillz
Formerly DOC7000

Member #820

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpeedreams View Post
WHAT IS WITH the plastic engine covers!?!? Let us see the engine for gods sake. If the intake manifold is rough looking then spice it up a little but come on. The SBC is the heart, soul, history, and half the draw of the Corvette. Don't hide it. How can they not get that???
I completely agree with you, GM doesn't make good looking chevy small block V-8 engines anymore.

IMHO the last good looking Chevy Small Block V-8 was the L98 engine. When the LT1 engine replaced the L98 engine it wasn't a bad looking engine however it started a trend where you had one design covering the top of the engine.

Ford makes good looking engines, granted their engines generally have not had the performance of the chevy small block engines. Really not until 2011 where the 5.0L V-8 returned could you compare the Ford V-8 to the Chevy V-8. Also the C5R and C6R race cars have really good looking engines as well as the Viper V-10.

I just can't believe that this is one area where GM continues to concede to everyone else in the market.

On the other hand, engine covers have become more common place now days because its an easy way to hide wires. Also the engines covers often work to reduce noise, its just for a performance car people want to see a work of art engine. This market segment also doesn't mind hearing extra noise as long as its good noise.

I will admit though, that I think this engine looks better then the previous generation engines. It at least mimics to a better degree the parts on the engine, though still not what I really want.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:00 PM   #83
sixpeedreams
DC Crew

Member #17449

My Corvette(s)

I actually LIKE the way the '14 LT1 looks right now sans its cheap plastic "beauty" covers. And I LOVE the sound of intake "noise". IMO engine covers have NO place on a high performance sports-car. But this is especially true for the Corvette brand which is inexorably linked to and even defined by its engine. Proudly show off that OHV beauty Mr. Juechter!
Old 11-04-2012, 01:23 PM   #84
sixpeedreams
DC Crew

Member #17449

My Corvette(s)

Now about engine NVH, here's a couple "think outside the box" crazy ideas: 1) If you must then build sound deadening INTO or AS PART OF the valve covers. For instance, make them out of a more sound deadening material or sandwich of materials or a thicker material. 2) Locate sound deadening UNDER the intake manifold to eliminate unwanted internal engine noise while allowing the intake to sing. 3) Leave a hole in the underhood insulation directly above the intake manifold. Not all "noise" is bad! You've figured that out with the dual-mode exhaust but don't stop there.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:10 PM   #85
Tomcat
DC Crew

Member #22166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Draper View Post

On the slide with the piston and rod, nobody has made mention the words in the brackets. Under the material descriptions for the piston and rod, you will see "(Supercharged Material)", and the tapered rod end description indicates "(Supercharged Type)". I'm thinking these parts are upgraded for supercharged use. The materials and rod end design mentioned and pictured will NOT be part of the "base", non-supercharged LT1.

Since there is a supercharged LT1 (or LT4) coming, maybe it will be part of the initial C7 release, since these features are already being specifically mentioned at the release of the LT1?

Or, am I missing something...
Tomcat is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 09:09 AM   #86
spd98
DC Crew

Member #4658

I don't the huge pictures were required lol. It's well known that there will be more than one variant of the LT motor and it's also well known that the performance verson will be supercharged.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.