Questions on buying a C6 Z06... - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C6 Corvette Forums > C6 Corvette Z06
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C6 Corvette Z06
General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 11-17-2012, 11:55 PM   #1
LennyJ
DC Crew

Member #37644

My Corvette(s)
Victory Red 2007 Z06

Questions on buying a C6 Z06...

Hi guys!

I'm sure this has all been discussed numerous times, but I couldn't find any old posts addressing this...

I have been debating over whether to get a GS, or a Z06. I love the wide body look. I've pretty much decided on the Z06.

I can see myself enjoying the targa top on occasion, but if it squeaks or rattles, or has lots of wind buffeting or ?? I probably would tire of it, especially with the effort it takes to take it off and on.

I had an '03 z06 that I loved, and I have yet to drive a C6 Z06. I actually liked the C5 for all it's hot rod noise and commotion! It was an exhilarating ride! Some complain about noise, or rough ride, etc., but I loved it. Very reminiscent of my Chevy hot rods of the 60's..

Question 1: How is the C6 Z06 by comparison? More refined? Quieter than the C5 Z? Your impressions..

Question 2: What year did GM upgrade the valves? I know that there were issues with the '06 Z.

Question 3: Is the GS targa top problematic, in any ways? Buffeting, noise, or ?? I'd hate to give up those extra 75 ponies for a targa top that rattles, or that I grow tired of and never use. My wife has a BMW vert, and I enjoy the top-down experience on occasion, but not if the targa is not as pleasant.

Thanks to all in advance for your input.
LennyJ is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 10:37 AM   #2
LennyJ
DC Crew

Member #37644

My Corvette(s)
Victory Red 2007 Z06

Question

Wow. 90 reads, and no replies... Do I sound like that much of a flake?
Old 11-18-2012, 11:11 AM   #3
Billy Johnso
DC Crew

Member #46870

My Corvette(s)
77 and 05 S/C

I would go for the Z. It is an unbielievable car. Here is a thread on this subject. There is alot of info on both cars. http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...d.php?t=162814
Billy Johnso is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
1977-stock

2005-A+A Supercharger-RPM trans-3000 stall Yank converter-Melrose headers-Xpipe-Borla touring mufflers-6psi of alcohol-tuned at Slowhawk Performance-573 RWHP 495 RWTQ-11.4 in the 1/4 at 122 mph spinning 1st and breaking loose in 2ndneed slicks!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia9w-bVmQsQ my burn out at 2:53
Old 11-18-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
LennyJ
DC Crew

Member #37644

My Corvette(s)
Victory Red 2007 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Johnso View Post
I would go for the Z. It is an unbielievable car. Here is a thread on this subject. There is alot of info on both cars. http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...d.php?t=162814
Thanks. Billy. I'm a Johnson, too. Bet we're related. lol

I actually posted a couple times on that thread. I just need to go drive a GS coupe with the top off. That will tell me if it's something I find nice enough to want.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
Billy Johnso
DC Crew

Member #46870

My Corvette(s)
77 and 05 S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by LennyJ View Post
Thanks. Billy. I'm a Johnson, too. Bet we're related. lol

I actually posted a couple times on that thread. I just need to go drive a GS coupe with the top off. That will tell me if it's something I find nice enough to want.
I think i might have family in AZ I'll double check. I rather have a fixed roof. I wish my 05' was. I never take the top off. The fixed roof keeps the car from flexing and keeps the suspension to its top performance. Good luck with your search. The G.S. might not have body flex, and top issues because of it's set up? Only one way to tell. test drive, and drive it like a rental.
Billy Johnso is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
1977-stock

2005-A+A Supercharger-RPM trans-3000 stall Yank converter-Melrose headers-Xpipe-Borla touring mufflers-6psi of alcohol-tuned at Slowhawk Performance-573 RWHP 495 RWTQ-11.4 in the 1/4 at 122 mph spinning 1st and breaking loose in 2ndneed slicks!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia9w-bVmQsQ my burn out at 2:53
Old 11-20-2012, 01:50 PM   #6
rtj

Member #52011

My Corvette(s)
75/502, C6 Z06, 70 ProStreet

I had a 02Z, loved the body style, handling, et cetera. But I own big block chevies and it never felt that fast, acceleration wise. The imports seemed to want to test it all the time.

The 07 Z never gets old. Drove to Miami a couple of weeks ago, what a pleasure. Imports don't seem to try any "roll" racing attempt, which suits me fine.

My advice is buy a certified GM used car and get the 4 year bumper to bumper coverage. My 2007 dropped a valve at 45 mph, and now has a 2012 engine. Granted there a few scatches in the engine bay from all the work, but the new motor pulls much stronger. Be prepared to buy lots of new rear tires. My michalins had 80% wear left on the front when the rears were bald.
rtj is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to rtj For This Useful Post:
LennyJ (11-20-2012)
Old 11-20-2012, 01:53 PM   #7
rtj

Member #52011

My Corvette(s)
75/502, C6 Z06, 70 ProStreet

Also, do your research on the GS. It has a steel frame and other differences. But, the GS motor is better if you want to go boosted.
rtj is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to rtj For This Useful Post:
LennyJ (11-20-2012)
Old 11-20-2012, 02:45 PM   #8
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

Just my take on the targa top...don't worry about squeaks and rattles. I had two C3's back in the 70's and those T-Tops squeaked to high heavens. I have had two C6's and the only time they make noise is if the road is VERY uneven causing a lot of torque to the body. That happens on my street as I leave my house (not a very good road), but once I hit a main road, I never hear anothe peep - and I never hear wind noise. Good luck! Can't go wrong either way.
Texdentist is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Texdentist For This Useful Post:
LennyJ (11-20-2012)
Old 11-27-2012, 09:04 AM   #9
the machine
"Clown"

Member #67421

My Corvette(s)
1966 Big Block Vert, 2008 Z06, 1969 435 , 1959 vert. Non vette ...2011 CTS-V wgn, 2014 silverado

Lenny, a Z06 is a much different machine than a GS. As was mentioned the frame on the Z06 is aluminum and steel on the GS. The frame on your C5 Z06 was also steel, but GM went a long way to lighten the C5 Z06, such as titanium exhaust and thinner glass and no sound deadening material. The aluminum frame makes the lightening much easier. The trade off is that if you hit a C6 Z06, it is usualy totaled. The C6 Z06 is definitly more refined than the C5, but I would have loved to have kept my C5Z....I just didn't have room to keep both. While the C6Z is more refined in ride comfort and noise control, the power is not so refined. The C6 is much faster.
As for valve problems and such, I would take the valve issues over the clutch issues I experienced in the C5. The valve issues are easily kept at bay by not beating the car until it is warmed up completely. The LS7 is a racing engine and the tolerances are very tight and designed to be optimal only at operating temperatures. I never rev over 3000 until the oil temp passes 100 deg.
So now you have some questions to ask yourself. The Z06 is a racing machine. If you do track days, it is the only choice. If you do not well the GS is not as fast but you can get the top down experience and more comfort. The GS is also quite a bit cheaper. You would more than likely have a hard time feeling the difference in power between the two on highways and local roads, unless you are willing to take some chances with Johny law. You may have an easier time disposing of those ricers at a red light in a Z06 but you would probably do as well with the GS since traction off the line is an issue with any car with over 500HP.
But rest assured either way you go, in my oppinion, you are buying the best bang for the buck sports car in the world, you just have to be honest with yourself about how you will use it and what you need out of the car to make the right choice. Good luck.
the machine is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Welcome to the Machine...... (I'm still a clown) this from Ponch (second time) who is supposed to be a moderator on this site....but of course if you disagree with him this is the sort of thing he does. It is simply amazing that anyone would give a guy who is so obviously childish and spiteful a position of authority.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the machine For This Useful Post:
BJC99Hardtop (11-29-2012), LennyJ (11-27-2012)
Old 11-27-2012, 07:14 PM   #10
hig4s
DC Crew

Member #120121

My Corvette(s)
Black 2011 C6 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LennyJ View Post
Hi guys!

I'm sure this has all been discussed numerous times, but I couldn't find any old posts addressing this...

I have been debating over whether to get a GS, or a Z06. I love the wide body look. I've pretty much decided on the Z06.

I can see myself enjoying the targa top on occasion, but if it squeaks or rattles, or has lots of wind buffeting or ?? I probably would tire of it, especially with the effort it takes to take it off and on.

I had an '03 z06 that I loved, and I have yet to drive a C6 Z06. I actually liked the C5 for all it's hot rod noise and commotion! It was an exhilarating ride! Some complain about noise, or rough ride, etc., but I loved it. Very reminiscent of my Chevy hot rods of the 60's..

Question 1: How is the C6 Z06 by comparison? More refined? Quieter than the C5 Z? Your impressions..

Question 2: What year did GM upgrade the valves? I know that there were issues with the '06 Z.

Question 3: Is the GS targa top problematic, in any ways? Buffeting, noise, or ?? I'd hate to give up those extra 75 ponies for a targa top that rattles, or that I grow tired of and never use. My wife has a BMW vert, and I enjoy the top-down experience on occasion, but not if the targa is not as pleasant.

Thanks to all in advance for your input.
1 don't know.
2 They upgraded the valves?
3 I have 24k on my C6 and my targa top has never rattled, or made any noises at all and I do take it off occasionally. I love it.
hig4s is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 07:17 PM   #11
hig4s
DC Crew

Member #120121

My Corvette(s)
Black 2011 C6 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Johnso View Post
The fixed roof keeps the car from flexing and keeps the suspension to its top performance.
The fixed roof was to keep the cars with aluminum frames (Z06 and ZR1) from flexing.. The GS has a steel frame.
hig4s is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 12:10 AM   #12
LennyJ
DC Crew

Member #37644

My Corvette(s)
Victory Red 2007 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by hig4s View Post
1 don't know.
2 They upgraded the valves?
3 I have 24k on my C6 and my targa top has never rattled, or made any noises at all and I do take it off occasionally. I love it.
2. Well, I thought they upgraded something. I heard there was an issue with exhaust valves separating in '06 and early '07 Z06's. Anyone have info?
Old 11-29-2012, 12:36 PM   #13
dreamcars99
DC Crew

Member #119937

My Corvette(s)
C6 Z06, C6 Vert

I can't comment on the C5 Z06 vs the C6Z06, but I have owned a C6Z06 and a C6 Convertible, and driven my friends standard C6 many times.

Simply put, the Z06 blows the standard C6 into the bleachers. On paper they seem so similar, 100 lbs not that big of a deal, 70 hp not that big of a deal. Behind the wheel the Z06 absolutely axe-murders the standard car for that thrill of driving you mentioned that you like. I think the GS is better looking, but the Z06 is just awesome to drive, much more than the difference in numbers suggests. Even if its only half a second or something faster in a 1/4 mile, it feels like 2 seconds.

Some things to consider when shopping for a C6 Z06:

-in 2007 the car got new rear shocks and the option of some sound isolation.
-in 2008 the car got a new transmission that shifts far better, and a new steering rack
-in 2009 it got another new steering system and a new active handling setup
-in later years it got the option of a Z07 package, which is basically all the ZR1 bits

Just my two cents and worth about that, but the 08 and newer transmission is my all time favorite manual in any car. Enough effort to let you know you're doing something, and so easy to shift, thats worth it in my view.

With the Z07 package and in later years, the car seems much better than my 08. Much less unsettled.
dreamcars99 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 12:46 PM   #14
BJC99Hardtop
DC Crew

Member #16712

My Corvette(s)
2006 Z06, 1999 FRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hig4s View Post
The fixed roof was to keep the cars with aluminum frames (Z06 and ZR1) from flexing.. The GS has a steel frame.
Not so. The aluminum frame is not weaker than the steel frame, resulting in the need for a roof support. The car is built to be trashed, so the additional support prevents the flexing that can, and does, happen with steel frame cars without the additional support.

C5 FRC's and Z06's had steel frames as well as roof bracing.
BJC99Hardtop is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 12:51 PM   #15
dreamcars99
DC Crew

Member #119937

My Corvette(s)
C6 Z06, C6 Vert

Also, just in my experience, in 20k hard-use miles including tracks, putting in the ditch, bad roads, and all, my Z06 never had a rattle. In lighter use, many cars that I have owned have become complete rattle traps over similar miles, including a CTS, an STi, and my Convertible C6 was starting to show a rattle or two when I sold it.

Just my opinion, but I'd take the structural rigidity 8 days a week over the targa top.
dreamcars99 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.