Car & Driver C7 - Page 2 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C7 Corvette Forums > C7 Corvette - Facts | Info | Rumors
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C7 Corvette - Facts | Info | Rumors The first C7 Corvette info is rolling in...

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 11-28-2012, 04:01 PM   #16
dobrenyr
DC Crew

Member #29319

i'm with longtimer... i still haven't gotten my C&D magazine yet and all this time i thought it was just happening to me...
Why is it that all the other cars future renditions look great and this corvette C7 is so disappointing ! Keeping my C6 much longer now... i don't have the burning passion to get one of these! A real disappointment !
dobrenyr is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Tricky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 04:11 PM   #17
dobrenyr
DC Crew

Member #29319

BTW, did anyone notice what looks like a vent on the top of the rear quarter panel, just above the door handle? is it a vent or what ?
I hate that spoiler... reminds me of the 1975 Z-28. I recall seeing a spoiler that looked like that made from a piece of aluminum that the just bent upwards... fine for the track, un-inspiring on the street.
dobrenyr is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Tricky
Old 11-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #18
rdevaux2007
DC Crew

Member #52923

My Corvette(s)
2007 LMB, 1977 Coupe

it should be called the Chevy Skyline. I don't care how great it performs, I won't buy one. Horrible design.
rdevaux2007 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2007 LMB coupe, m6sp, 3LT.
1977 coupe 4sp
1997 Expedition (sold)
2010 Ford F-150 Supercrew
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rdevaux2007 For This Useful Post:
91redragtop (12-03-2012), stinger430 (11-28-2012)
Old 11-28-2012, 04:40 PM   #19
BLK 1

Member #66549

My Corvette(s)
2013 427, 04 A4 vert, 04 6M vert

No thx! I'll pick up a nice used 2013 427 convertible down the road. Hell, I still love my 2002 6-speed vert!

BLK 1
BLK 1 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 05:12 PM   #20
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobrenyr View Post
BTW, did anyone notice what looks like a vent on the top of the rear quarter panel, just above the door handle? is it a vent or what ?
C&D chose to illustrate the Z??, as Jalopnik did. Did they copy, or build from info they gathered - we can't tell.

Anyway, yes that's a mysterious vent on top of the rear fenders on both sides.

When the C6 Z06 was released, we were told that the bottom feeding vent on the base C6 does such a great job of cooling the rear brakes, that the side scoop was not needed for higher performance. However, they felt it was a model-defining component for the Z06, so it was included.

Now we see another vent on top of the rear fender, not far behind the door. IMO it's too far forward to be an outlet for brake heat. Perhaps it's there to vent heat from the trans and differential .... or part of a system that reduces the heat in the tunnel (another nit picky bitch from car rags).

Vents in the hood, chrome vent covers on the side, vents on the top of the fender, and vents out the back of that ass - plus venty-looking black tear drops at the outer edge of the taillight bezels. This is why one of my initial reactions was to call it a design inspired by a page from a JCWhitney catalog. I guess we should be glad Welburn, Peters and Bennion didn't fall in love with the page with the hood ornaments.
Longtimer is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
'07:bought from a former sponsor, Z06 wheels and Vararam from former sponsors, Various accessories from Corvette Central and Corvette America. B&B Fusions with Corsa X pipe. Shine from Adam's
'87: refurbished all interior with parts from Corv Central '79: Interior refurb = Corvette America, and Corvette Central, T1Rs, Foose Legends
DC Sponsors
________________________________________ ________

Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green. Watching for C8 fixes & improvements
Old 11-28-2012, 06:34 PM   #21
iowa61
DC Crew

Member #17961

My Corvette(s)
1966 427 Roadster

Rising Alarm on the way to Sheer Terror

I'm was growing increasingly alarmed at the C7 renderings that surface. And now I'm starting to get scared. It's not just the rear end that's bordering on genuine ugly, it's now the front too. These C/D images do not show an attractive, sexy,
forward-thinking automobile.

Sure, it's not the "real thing." But if the real thing is even close...

It boggles the mind. Truly.
iowa61 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to iowa61 For This Useful Post:
91redragtop (12-03-2012)
Old 11-28-2012, 06:45 PM   #22
jaymsu
DC Crew

Member #67990

My Corvette(s)
TOY4JAY I: 02 EB Coupe, TOY4JAY II: 07 VY Z06, TOY4JAY III (current): 06 Coupe w/ Z51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimer View Post
If you saw it, you saw the real life rear end with lines of ugly surrounding the camaro-like taillights. How can one NOT be disappointed in that rear end design?!!?
So I guess I have to get permission from you on what I like or dislike... I'm not gonna say YOU will like it, judging by ALL the comments you made and the knowledge you have about C7, but I am just saying (my opinion as you are sharing your opinion on the open forum) many will do at Detroit auto show and dealer lot when it's available.

I agree the back end may not be everyone's favorite. But there are a lot more to one car than ugly ass (some may even like the look of the back. who knows?). Front look, side look, quarter look, interior quality, performance...

No matter what you say or I say, GM will build C7 as it is designed and as you were saying, IF it gets too much negative feedback (even after real thing is being driven on the road for some time), they MAY consider redesigning the back end slightly, but what everyone is complaining is on 2D picture of what 'it may' look like.

I guess you will not buy it, and I guess I will in about 2-3 years when C7Z becomes more 'reasonable'. Or maybe it will grow on you, and later you will decide to 'forgive' its bad ass (quite literally) and pick one up.
Only time will tell.

I never wanted to post anything on C7 forum, but it was just ridiculous that everyone HATED the car even before they see / drive / hear / feel it.
jaymsu is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
06 Arctic White Coupe w/ Z51 : Airaid Intake, XS Power Muffler, Dr. Phil Tuned
SS braided brake line, Bilstein shock, TSW Nurburgring (forged) wheels
HP+ brake pads (F) / EBC Yellow pads (R)
Hardbar Harness bar w/ Schroth harness - Other than that, it's pretty much stock.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:55 PM   #23
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

Quote:
I agree the back end may not be everyone's favorite. But there are a lot more to one car than ugly ass.
I never told you what you could and could not like. I asked how one could not be disappointed in that rear end. Sounds like you might be a bit disappointed in the "ugly ass" too.

To me, the front fender treatment and the rear are deal breakers. I agree that some will like it, some will get used to it or get so excited about its performance they'll "go over to the darkside and the dark back" .

You are also right that I will not be one of them. I hope they fix it so I can enjoy a lighter vette with much better seats and interior, but I can wait for however long it takes in order to NOT see that design in my garage.
Longtimer is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
'07:bought from a former sponsor, Z06 wheels and Vararam from former sponsors, Various accessories from Corvette Central and Corvette America. B&B Fusions with Corsa X pipe. Shine from Adam's
'87: refurbished all interior with parts from Corv Central '79: Interior refurb = Corvette America, and Corvette Central, T1Rs, Foose Legends
DC Sponsors
________________________________________ ________

Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green. Watching for C8 fixes & improvements
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Longtimer For This Useful Post:
91redragtop (12-03-2012), racerw (11-28-2012)
Old 11-28-2012, 06:58 PM   #24
iowa61
DC Crew

Member #17961

My Corvette(s)
1966 427 Roadster

Who defines "attractive"

I concur that if nothing else, it's only fair to wait and see the real deal before making judgement. But these renderings are too detailed and come with too much provenance to allow me to be so objective. Like I said. It's getting scary.

The design is not attractive. Some of the details are even embarrassing (The "gangsta" teardrops--ouch! Painful!).

Compare these C/D renderings of a jumbled mess to the gorgeous hunk of clean curves posted by RattVette.

"Nuff said.
iowa61 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to iowa61 For This Useful Post:
stinger430 (11-28-2012)
Old 11-28-2012, 07:38 PM   #25
TheMelkMan
DC Crew

Member #118968

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymsu View Post
But there are a lot more to one car than ugly ass (some may even like the look of the back. who knows?). Front look, side look, quarter look, interior quality, performance...
WRONG. The merit of any automotive design hinges on the geometric shape of its taillights... if that shape happens to be vaguely similar to a Camaro in any way, then that design is A COMPLETE AND UTTER DISMAL FAILURE. That is not an "opinion," that is an objective FACT.

On a more serious note, these C&D renderings seems to be a bit off when compared to the Jalopnik renderings (which apparently are the most accurate C7 images we have, according to the consensus). These renderings I think have some of the same problems as the Trinity 3D models: they included all the known details, but certain essential proportions are stretched, distorted, or squished.

The most obvious error in this particular rendering (as with the Trinity model) is that rear glass is too square... from what we've seen in other renderings, spy photos, and various leaked materials, the rear glass should be much more tapered toward the rear of the car. Also, the topography of the hood looks flatter than what we've seen elsewhere, and the roof-line is a bit off (which is a feature that makes this particular rendering even more GTR-like than what we've already seen).

These may seem like very subtle discrepancies, but they make an enormous difference in how we perceive the car.
TheMelkMan is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to TheMelkMan For This Useful Post:
Z06Fiend (11-28-2012)
Old 11-28-2012, 07:52 PM   #26
TheMelkMan
DC Crew

Member #118968

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa61 View Post
Compare these C/D renderings of a jumbled mess to the gorgeous hunk of clean curves posted by RattVette.
What RattVette posted looks like a cheap kit-car to me. It's the demon spawn of a C6 that was raped by an Aston Martin One-77.

[edit] I decided to create a "visual aid" :

[edit 2] Apparently the image is actually based on a fake Ferrari 612 GTO concept, which was in turn based on the Aston... so it's actually a derivative of a derivative.

Last edited by TheMelkMan; 11-28-2012 at 08:40 PM.
TheMelkMan is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to TheMelkMan For This Useful Post:
Z06Fiend (11-28-2012)
Old 11-28-2012, 08:18 PM   #27
mbwalker

Member #7872

My Corvette(s)
96 LT4 sold, 04 sold, 08 flooded (RIP), 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinger430 View Post
It's so hard for me to believe that they went with such an uninspired design for the rear window. It's just a flat rectangular pane.

I agree. Plus the pics don't even show the side marker lights near the wheel wells. That's even been spotted on the spy pics. A dollar too short and a day too late.
mbwalker is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 11:01 PM   #28
dreamcars99
DC Crew

Member #119937

My Corvette(s)
C6 Z06, C6 Vert

Some good things going on there:

- there appears to be alot of functional venting
- the stance looks great. I always thought the stance of the GS/Z06/ZR1 was awesome, but that the standard C6 was a little timid
- the profile looks mean and angry
- the wheels look awesome

And I'd offer that this appears to be a fixed roof, no targa, and awfully similar to the Jalopnik rendering, which they stated was a "ZR1", so some of those things might not show up in January.
dreamcars99 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 12:21 AM   #29
bkuper
DC Crew

Member #16

My Corvette(s)
1994 Dark Metallic Red Coupe, 1989 Bright Red Coupe, 1986 Black Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinger430 View Post
Thanks for sharing Chris!

It's so hard for me to believe that they went with such an uninspired design for the rear window. It's just a flat rectangular pane. In any case the rest of the design does nothing for me. I know a lot of members and Corvette enthusiasts love it, but it continues to leave me cold.

The above rear shot reminds me alot of the Solstice coupe. The other shots remind me of the Datsun (lol) GTR....yes I know that comparison has been beaten to death, but it's what my eyes see. And the side vent looks cosmetic. Kick-ass engine though.

Thanks again Chris for the update

An Aside: I'm sure all the main trade magazines have seen the real thing by now and already have space put aside for publication in January.
They got the rear window wrong. It's narrower at the bottom than the top. The CAD drawings we've had here are more accurate than this stuff is.
bkuper is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Brian Kuper
Dallas, Texas
http://www.gff.com/

1994 LT1 Coupe (broken and sold)
1989 L98 Coupe (sold)
1986 L98 Coupe (bone yard)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bkuper For This Useful Post:
stinger430 (11-29-2012), Z06Fiend (11-29-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 12:24 AM   #30
Roadkillz
Formerly DOC7000

Member #820

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkuper View Post
They got the rear window wrong. It's narrower at the bottom than the top. The CAD drawings we've had here are more accurate than this stuff is.
I concur, the rear window is wrong and some of the perspectives are off a bit as well.
Roadkillz is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. " Aristotle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.