Pelosi: Give Obama Power to Personally Lift Debt Limit to Infinity - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > News Room
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

News Room This section is for discussing current events.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 12-01-2012, 01:59 PM   #1
Upheval

Member #63633

My Corvette(s)
2007 C6

Pelosi: Give Obama Power to Personally Lift Debt Limit to Infinity

Man are these people down with OPP or what (Other People's Pay)
You know what would stop this shit, if we all banned together and said, "Fuck you I aint paying taxes until you cut spending"

(CNSNews.com) - House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said on Friday that Congress should hand over to President Barack Obama the power to unilateral increase the limit on the U.S. government's debt.

In effect, under the plan Pelosi is endorsing, the only limit on the national debt would be President Obama's willingness to borrow money in the name of American taxpayers.

At a Friday press conference, a reporter asked Pelosi if she agreed with a proposal made by Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner that Congress give Obama the power to unilaterally increase the debt limit.

"Yes," she said.

The Constitution expressly gives the power to borrow money to Congress--not the president. Article 1, Section 8, Clause 2 says: "Congress shall have power ... To borrow money on the credit of the United States."

When he met with members of Congress on Thursday to discuss a deal to avoid the so-called fiscal cliff that is set to occur at the end of this year, Secretary Geithner suggested that Congress give Obama the personal power as president to lift the legal limit on the federal government's debt.

In keeping with its constitutional power to borrow money on the credit of the United States, Congress periodically enacts legislation authorizing the president, through the Treasury, to borrow money up to a certain set limit. Pursuant to a deal negotiated by Obama and House Speaker John Boehner in August 2011, Congress enacted legislation increasing the debt limit by $2.4 trillion to a maximum of $16.304 trillion In the 16 months since Congress gave the administration that $2.4 trillion in additional borrowing authority, the Treasury has almost exhausted all of it. As of the close of business Thursday, it had only another $110 billion left.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/pelo...limit-infinity
Upheval is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
sixpeedreams
DC Crew

Member #17449

My Corvette(s)
'80 & '95 Z28's (poor man's Vettes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upheval View Post
"Fuck you I aint paying taxes until you cut spending"

However, Obama, Pelosi, Reed, and the Democrats are not the problem. They are simply doing what the American people want and RE-elected them to KEEP doing. We are now a nation of over 50% fuck-ups and the irresponsible half is taking down the honest half with it. There is nothing that can stop that. The end will come when the government is no longer able to put off the rapid inflation it has created. Then we'll be living in a new world and it won't be pretty -- for ANYONE except the very powerful and connected.
sixpeedreams is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
You can crack your finger, but don't finger your crack.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
92Roadster

Member #36181

....why not post something more constructive, then destructive
would you be posting stuff against Romney if he won instead; the election process is over....

Quote:
Man are these people down with OPP or what (Other People's Pay)
You know what would stop this shit, if we all banned together and said, "Fuck you I aint paying taxes until you cut spending"

(CNSNews.com) - House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said on Friday that Congress should hand over to President Barack Obama the power to unilateral increase the limit on the U.S. government's debt.

In effect, under the plan Pelosi is endorsing, the only limit on the national debt would be President Obama's willingness to borrow money in the name of American taxpayers.

At a Friday press conference, a reporter asked Pelosi if she agreed with a proposal made by Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner that Congress give Obama the power to unilaterally increase the debt limit.

"Yes," she said.

The Constitution expressly gives the power to borrow money to Congress--not the president. Article 1, Section 8, Clause 2 says: "Congress shall have power ... To borrow money on the credit of the United States."

When he met with members of Congress on Thursday to discuss a deal to avoid the so-called fiscal cliff that is set to occur at the end of this year, Secretary Geithner suggested that Congress give Obama the personal power as president to lift the legal limit on the federal government's debt.

In keeping with its constitutional power to borrow money on the credit of the United States, Congress periodically enacts legislation authorizing the president, through the Treasury, to borrow money up to a certain set limit. Pursuant to a deal negotiated by Obama and House Speaker John Boehner in August 2011, Congress enacted legislation increasing the debt limit by $2.4 trillion to a maximum of $16.304 trillion In the 16 months since Congress gave the administration that $2.4 trillion in additional borrowing authority, the Treasury has almost exhausted all of it. As of the close of business Thursday, it had only another $110 billion left.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/pelo...limit-infinity
92Roadster is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 09:08 PM   #4
iburke
Sir Dude

Member #6081

My Corvette(s)
1971 T-Top

I guess goes to show that the Constitution has became just like every thing else in this country. Not worth the paper it is written on...

God help us all!
iburke is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
I can't tell if I'm dealing well with life these days or I just don't give a shit any more.
The Following User Says Thank You to iburke For This Useful Post:
cagey59 (12-02-2012)
Old 12-02-2012, 01:19 AM   #5
Upheval

Member #63633

My Corvette(s)
2007 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92Roadster View Post
....why not post something more constructive, then destructive
would you be posting stuff against Romney if he won instead; the election process is over....
No screaming eagle shit batman, I know the election process is over, I accept the fact that Obama is the president. I guess I am suppose to bury my head in the sand for the next four years. If Romney was at the helm and continuing the further downward spiral of the country I would be still be posting this, but he is not. The national debt is news to me, because I the tax payer am going to have to pay this and more so since I am really close to the 250k$/year mark.

As far as posting something constructive, just look 3 threads down with the whole discovery of ice and possible life on Mercury.

Last edited by Upheval; 12-02-2012 at 03:26 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:39 AM   #6
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)
2001 Navy Blue Metallic Coupe

Garage
Quote:
.... As far as posting something constructive, just look 3 threads down with the whole discovery of ice and possible life on Mercury.
Actually, I was thinking about buying some lake front property on Mercury so I find that story very news worthy!
Junkman2008 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."
Old 12-02-2012, 09:12 AM   #7
Geneus
DC Crew

Member #64482

My Corvette(s)
Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpeedreams View Post
The end will come when the government is no longer able to put off the rapid inflation it has created.
Oh yeah...rapid inflation.

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/unit.../inflation-cpi

Again...people posting things without first fact-checking...sad.
Geneus is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Forged 402 stroker, ETP 215 ported/polished heads, 1 7/8" AR headers, Fast 90/LS2 TB, Oz Exo-skel dual disc clutch, 5 point custom roll cage, 4.10 gears, DTE strut brace, DTE hardened output shaft, Rwhp/Rwtq?...enough to go 10.44@133.9 with a 1.55-60' and a slipping clutch...thank you RobZ for driving and ECS for the build.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:16 AM   #8
sixpeedreams
DC Crew

Member #17449

My Corvette(s)
'80 & '95 Z28's (poor man's Vettes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneus View Post
Oh yeah...rapid inflation.

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/unit.../inflation-cpi

Again...people posting things without first fact-checking...sad.
Read again Genious: "The end will come when the government is *NO LONGER* able to put off the rapid inflation it has created." For you geneus's out there, that means they are currently holding it off, as in the dollar is over-valued.

As we saw with the housing market crash economic reality always rears its ugly head eventually. And the longer we borrow and print our way out of it the more painful it will be.
sixpeedreams is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
You can crack your finger, but don't finger your crack.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:42 AM   #9
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
Actually, I was thinking about buying some lake front property on Mercury so I find that story very news worthy!
I have declared myself owner of the mercury waterfront. Just send me $10,000, and I will forward your deed to 10 acres of beautiful earth-view property.
Texdentist is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 11:12 AM   #10
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texdentist View Post
I have declared myself owner of the mercury waterfront. Just send me $10,000, and I will forward your deed to 10 acres of beautiful earth-view property.
You sneaky dog you!
Old 12-03-2012, 07:39 AM   #11
92Roadster

Member #36181

Quote:
No screaming eagle shit batman, I know the election process is over, I accept the fact that Obama is the president. I guess I am suppose to bury my head in the sand for the next four years. If Romney was at the helm and continuing the further downward spiral of the country I would be still be posting this, but he is not. The national debt is news to me, because I the tax payer am going to have to pay this and more so since I am really close to the 250k$/year mark.

As far as posting something constructive, just look 3 threads down with the whole discovery of ice and possible life on Mercury.

.....I'll be 65 in June and have been paying the national debt
for most of those years, and I have never been close to
$250/year, consider yourself one of the lucky ones
() in this day.....posting something constructive
was meant as a solution or possible solution to the problem
at hand.....

....finding ice on Mercury is good, just look for the Motel 8 sign
"we'll leave the light on for ya"......

...I guess I might be irritating at times.....
92Roadster is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 07:47 AM   #12
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Garage
Quote:
Not at all. I'm glad SOMEONE is posting something other than all the whining political threads.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:24 AM   #13
Upheval

Member #63633

My Corvette(s)
2007 C6

Quote:

.....I'll be 65 in June and have been paying the national debt
for most of those years, and I have never been close to
$250/year, consider yourself one of the lucky ones
() in this day.....posting something constructive
was meant as a solution or possible solution to the problem
at hand.....

....finding ice on Mercury is good, just look for the Motel 8 sign
"we'll leave the light on for ya"......

This is the first time we have become crossed. I tend to enjoy are post and your middle of the road stance, for the most part I have the same opinion too.
I mistaken Constructive for something positive, brain fart on my part.

Its been a long road to get where I am and I take nothing for granted.

Back to the topic

A constructive Idea is to Cut Spending! We have a hugh untapped work force in the prisons. Let them do the jobs that Americans dont want to do, picking vegetables out of a field or what ever else the illegals do. They should have to work to get their privileges because IMO they lost their rights when they took the rights of others and that would kill two birds with one stone.
Welfare, you better be medically certified unable to work or a child under 18, other then that you should be looking for work Monday thru Friday and earn your entitlement check by doing small jobs for the State on the weekends. Police calling the streets or removing graffiti off of buildings, things of that sort.
Here is another idea lets quit giving other countries our money especially the one that dont like us.
Lets tax imports based on how the country where the imports come from tax our imports. Brazil has a 100% tax on imports. Brazil is not the only country doing this, there are others.

There, now I think those are constructive ideas. I know they are flawed but its a start.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:33 AM   #14
Poncherello
Grey Squirrel

Member #5040

My Corvette(s)
Looking

Is Obama still giving out the free phones?
Poncherello is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-03-2012, 08:38 AM   #15
XQIZT
You've been pimped!!

Member #80197

My Corvette(s)
1985 Z51, 1977 custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncherello View Post
Is Obama still giving out the free phones?
I thought you'd have 5 by now.....as well as enroll in enough other free cash programs to have a solid gold Lamborghini by now....hows that goin?
XQIZT is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Alexa" - 1985 Z51 - In memory of the last Corvette Dad owned.

"Desiree" - 1977 - Wife's car, with an attitude problem

Click here for more info about our cars and autocrossing and other Corvette stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.