700R4 trans install - Page 2 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C3 Corvette
C3 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

( Sponsored by: Zip Corvette Parts )

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 10-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #16
XQIZT
You've been pimped!!

Member #80197

My Corvette(s)
1985 Z51, 1977 custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakedown067 View Post
What cross-member do you have to remove? Why not just buy a used auto driveshaft and C-beam? They are relatively cheap. Or did those only change for the ZF6? Good luck on the swap.
Psssttt......this is for the 77.....not the 85.
XQIZT is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Alexa" - 1985 Z51 - In memory of the last Corvette Dad owned.

"Desiree" - 1977 - Wife's car, with an attitude problem

Click here for more info about our cars and autocrossing and other Corvette stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #17
shakedown067
DC Crew

Member #87846

My Corvette(s)
1996 Black LT-1

What the...how'd I end up in the C3 section. Ok, makes much more sense. Not to mention I couldn't see you swapping to an auto.
shakedown067 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 08:39 PM   #18
XrayOne
DC Crew

Member #111340

My Corvette(s)
1979 coupe

Garage
700R4 into a C3

I just had mine done on my '79. (Transmission Physicians) They used a crossmember from Bowtie O/D, sent the drive shaft out for shortening/rebalancing, installed a kit in the console with a new shift pattern and a window reflecting the O/D symbol. I think they had to rework the exhaust a little and modify the trans lines. I also had a deep aluminum pan added for extra cooling. The trans core was upgraded with some "vette only" internals, beefed clutches etc. and a shift kit. Also the cable to the carb. The guys swapped speedo gears until they got it within 1.5 mph of the dash speedo. GPS.(originally was off 3mph) Very happy with the job. Knocked rpms @ 70mph to 2300 from 3500. Less wear and tear on the drivetrain and better mpg. It's Wintery here so she's put away now but A short test route gave 23mpg! This job cost me about half of what the "kits" are advertised for. These guys have done other muscle cars but I was the first C3. Check around. Surprised at how quiet it is without the rpm's.
XrayOne is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 10:15 PM   #19
blueday
DC Crew

Member #49549

My Corvette(s)
79 VETTE

Nice to read, my 383 with my tci th350 trans and 3.55's out back is horrible on gas at 60mph and 3000rpms. It'd be great to drop those rpms, actually keep up with hwy traffic and get better gas mileage.
blueday is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 09:17 AM   #20
gkull
DC Crew

Member #44069

My Corvette(s)
1979 Highly Modded

Quote:
Originally Posted by XrayOne View Post
I also had a deep aluminum pan added for extra cooling. The trans core was upgraded with some "vette only" internals, beefed clutches etc. and a shift kit.
Just to clearify this statement a little. Deep tranny pans are not really extra cooling. The added fluid volume takes longer to change tempeture. Like in a power brake launch or running at max TQ of the motor creating heat from the stall slip.

Yes, volume is a good thing, but a big independant tranny radiator is better.

When ever I hear "vette only" internals I cringe because the vette only used 700's in the early sub 400 hp motor years and they were junky transmissions. They required alot of aftermarket HD parts to survive in anything, but the wimpiest of motors
gkull is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 07:44 AM   #21
diehrd
DC Crew

Member #118245

Some of my suggestions take them or not.

If you have any rear lower then 3.55 any over drive will be a problem because a carb can not adjust fuel flow accurately enough at lower speeds and your motor will chug and load up.

If you have a high RPM motor with a cam profile that takes you to 7200 rpm the pumps on these over drives become oil starved and wont last long.

All the parts are easily obtained ( shifterworks.com ) sells all linkages , detent and correct window reading sticker. (99.00)

Bto cross member is a nice ad over modifying oem cross member. (195.00)

Drive shaft cut balance and new U-joints 125.00 and look for a big rig parts dealer they usually deal with drive shafts every minute of every day.

Lock up several kits for this if your 1980 to 1982 your car has a lock up system and is located left of master cylinder with a vac line and elec wires coming out of it.

Lot of opinions on which one to use. The 700R4 like the 400 as mentioned above uses more power BUT IS A stronger unit with a lower first gear which should compensate for its power use.

A 2004r is eaier to install uses less power and works perfectly but if you have 400hp and above my preference will always be the 700R4 ( and again I would not use these transmissions in a high rpm set up no matter what someone tells me)
diehrd is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 11:10 PM   #22
frank_nesta
DC Crew

Member #120049

My Corvette(s)
1977 T-top to Convertible Conversion 1999 Black Convertible

with him.
frank_nesta is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.