Car & Driver C7 - Page 3 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C7 Corvette Forums > C7 Corvette - Facts | Info | Rumors
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C7 Corvette - Facts | Info | Rumors The first C7 Corvette info is rolling in...

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 11-29-2012, 03:45 AM   #31
ironhorse
DC Crew

Member #74885

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdevaux2007 View Post
it should be called the Chevy Skyline. I don't care how great it performs, I won't buy one. Horrible design.
ironhorse is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 05:42 AM   #32
Andonis
DC Crew

Member #932

guys, now seriously, did ANYONE notice that the taillights are ROUND? check out the LEDs. they look like afterburners.
even in the pc game pictures.
i see NO camaro influence there whatsoever. but of course unlike to many ppl here, I haven't seen the real deal, yet.
i just say, have a little patience and give a chance that the C7 is BETTER looking than ANY rendering so far.
Andonis is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 06:43 AM   #33
TheMelkMan
DC Crew

Member #118968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andonis View Post
guys, now seriously, did ANYONE notice that the taillights are ROUND? check out the LEDs.
Are you talking about the C&D rendering? They're not round, they're semicircles, similar to the Camaro. I'm guessing that's pretty close to what they're going to look like, although with a more polygonal shape to the lens (the Camaro lights are more rectangular).
TheMelkMan is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 06:51 AM   #34
Andonis
DC Crew

Member #932

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMelkMan View Post
Are you talking about the C&D rendering? They're not round, they're semicircles, similar to the Camaro. I'm guessing that's pretty close to what they're going to look like, although with a more polygonal shape to the lens (the Camaro lights are more rectangular).
nope sir, I'm talking about this

and these
Old 11-29-2012, 07:54 AM   #35
TheMelkMan
DC Crew

Member #118968

Those are the same lights we've already seen in all the spy shots. They just look like generic $10 LED trailer lights to me... those would be pretty chintzy to put on an actual production vehicle.

[edit] I just noticed something in the video that I didn't notice the first time I watched it... pause it at 1:35... you'll notice only the bottom half of the LEDs are lit up.
TheMelkMan is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to TheMelkMan For This Useful Post:
Andonis (11-29-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 08:15 AM   #36
jaymsu
DC Crew

Member #67990

My Corvette(s)
TOY4JAY I: 02 EB Coupe, TOY4JAY II: 07 VY Z06, TOY4JAY III (current): 06 Coupe w/ Z51

Quote:
WRONG. The merit of any automotive design hinges on the geometric shape of its taillights... if that shape happens to be vaguely similar to a Camaro in any way, then that design is A COMPLETE AND UTTER DISMAL FAILURE. That is not an "opinion," that is an objective FACT.
So the fine ass is the most important factor for you when purchasing a car, huh?
You should buy your cars from this dealer.

Last edited by jaymsu; 11-29-2012 at 09:08 AM.
jaymsu is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
06 Arctic White Coupe w/ Z51 : Airaid Intake, XS Power Muffler, Dr. Phil Tuned
SS braided brake line, Bilstein shock, TSW Nurburgring (forged) wheels
HP+ brake pads (F) / EBC Yellow pads (R)
Hardbar Harness bar w/ Schroth harness - Other than that, it's pretty much stock.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:41 AM   #37
Andonis
DC Crew

Member #932

Quote:
Those are the same lights we've already seen in all the spy shots. They just look like generic $10 LED trailer lights to me... those would be pretty chintzy to put on an actual production vehicle.

[edit] I just noticed something in the video that I didn't notice the first time I watched it... pause it at 1:35... you'll notice only the bottom half of the LEDs are lit up.
you have very sharp eyes
now i see it too. ok, then my bad, they are not round.

from the letters i keep receiving at andoniscars, ppl actually like the C7. I was really surprised to see that those who were not a big fan of the new viper, liked the c7 so far. i dont know...im not sayin anything just...wanted to share with you
Old 11-29-2012, 07:46 PM   #38
bkuper
DC Crew

Member #16

My Corvette(s)
1994 Dark Metallic Red Coupe, 1989 Bright Red Coupe, 1986 Black Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimer View Post
...[*]Will the Sting Ray have a slightly different taillight bezel? ...maybe no black, pointed teardrops...
Hope so.
bkuper is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Brian Kuper
Dallas, Texas
http://www.gff.com/

1994 LT1 Coupe (broken and sold)
1989 L98 Coupe (sold)
1986 L98 Coupe (bone yard)
Old 12-01-2012, 07:29 AM   #39
Tomcat
DC Crew

Member #22166

Surprised no one has commented on the headlights. Based on the Omega leak, the indent where the headlight meets the front bumper bears absolutely no resemblance to the C&D pictures.

I still have hope we will all (most) like the car when it's released on 1/13/13...
Tomcat is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 06:57 AM   #40
spd98
DC Crew

Member #4658

I like some of the looks. I can see the side vents looking GTRish onl in the chrome trim (I though chrome was on it's way out these days?).

But I think the rear tail light treatment is really just emo-ish! there are little black tears leaking from the corners!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cry.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	2741  
spd98 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 09:39 AM   #41
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by spd98 View Post
But I think the rear tail light treatment is really just emo-ish! there are little black tears leaking from the corners!
Symbolic of the reaction of many, many (probably most) Corvette lovers when they first see the side and the back in particular.

I agree about the chrome side vent. It's another reason this front fender treatment looks so GT-R me too-ish.

The C7, far more than any past new corvette design, is a compilation of copycat cues with the most original area being the ugliest (the rear surrounding the Camaro taillights).
Longtimer is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
'07:bought from a former sponsor, Z06 wheels and Vararam from former sponsors, Various accessories from Corvette Central and Corvette America. B&B Fusions with Corsa X pipe. Shine from Adam's
'87: refurbished all interior with parts from Corv Central '79: Interior refurb = Corvette America, and Corvette Central, T1Rs, Foose Legends
DC Sponsors
________________________________________ ________

Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green. Watching for C8 fixes & improvements
Old 12-03-2012, 09:47 AM   #42
spd98
DC Crew

Member #4658

Quote:
Symbolic of the reaction of many, many (probably most) Corvette lovers when they first see the side and the back in particular.

I agree about the chrome side vent. It's another reason this front fender treatment looks so GT-R me too-ish.

The C7, far more than any past new corvette design, is a compilation of copycat cues with the most original area being the ugliest (the rear surrounding the Camaro taillights).
I hope they offer a no chrome option. I think the C6 side vents got better and better after the base model. It was a really good way to distiguish trim levels and they gave each one a unique look.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:04 AM   #43
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spd98 View Post
I hope they offer a no chrome option. I think the C6 side vents got better and better after the base model. It was a really good way to distiguish trim levels and they gave each one a unique look.
I agree that the base C6 side vent treatment is the least appealing of the four different designs.

However, we already know that the Z?? side vent will vary little from the Sting Ray base model, having only a rectangular badge added 3/4 of the way up. GM could black it out, but even if they don't, it's a sure bet there will be plenty of aftermarket variations available.

That said, the badging is the most flexible part of vehicle design and need not be committed to the supplier until very late in the design cycle - referring to possible Z?? badge changes. Sting Ray badging is very likely locked in by now with production tooling complete.
'07:bought from a former sponsor, Z06 wheels and Vararam from former sponsors, Various accessories from Corvette Central and Corvette America. B&B Fusions with Corsa X pipe. Shine from Adam's
'87: refurbished all interior with parts from Corv Central '79: Interior refurb = Corvette America, and Corvette Central, T1Rs, Foose Legends
DC Sponsors

Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green. Watching for C8 fixes & improvements
Old 12-03-2012, 11:29 AM   #44
spd98
DC Crew

Member #4658

Quote:
I agree that the base C6 side vent treatment is the least appealing of the four different designs.

However, we already know that the Z?? side vent will vary little from the Sting Ray base model, having only a rectangular badge added 3/4 of the way up. GM could black it out, but even if they don't, it's a sure bet there will be plenty of aftermarket variations available.

That said, the badging is the most flexible part of vehicle design and need not be committed to the supplier until very late in the design cycle - referring to possible Z?? badge changes. Sting Ray badging is very likely locked in by now with production tooling complete.
See I'm just not 100% sure that the base will be the sting ray yet. We know one exists, but we really have no idea what the trims will look like.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #45
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

Fair enough. We don't know the names for the model lineups, but we've seen the Z?? badge on the side and we've seen a Sting Ray that is not on the Z??.

I'm betting that we will be able to stop referring to any corvette as a "base model" and that the name Sting Ray will be applied to that C7 Equivalent.

My guess on release order:
  • Sting Ray Targa first
  • Sting Ray Vert 3-6 months later
  • Z06 one year after Targa sales start. However, expect to see Z06 testing earlier. I think the early buyers picking up their Z06s at the dealer will already have read car rag testing of the car.
  • Grand Sport offering will wait until Sting Ray sales drop and use lots of Z06 non-engine parts.
  • ZR1 ever??? Maybe when C7 sales are really low.
The above, of course, assumes there will REALLY be a wide body. The wide body hurts aero. They could have designed in, an ability to go to larger tires and wheels without changing body width, by allowing for inset wheel/tire clearance. I doubt this.

There was a rumor that a C8 would be produced contiguously with later C7 life. The assumption accompanying this rumor, was that the C8 would be a high end ONLY mid engine Corvette. This was prior to the bankruptcy and probably very speculative even then. However, if true, there would probably be no ZR1 C7, because that model would compete with the C8.

FWIW
DC Sponsors

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.