Feeling C7 optimism, and some predictions... - Page 2 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C7 Corvette Forums > C7 Corvette - Facts | Info | Rumors
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C7 Corvette - Facts | Info | Rumors The first C7 Corvette info is rolling in...

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 12-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #16
hig4s
DC Crew

Member #120121

My Corvette(s)
Black 2011 C6 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamcars99 View Post
3. That guy that posts all the inside information recently posted a kind of prank thread about how Stingrays weigh less than 3000 pounds. If we get a 2950lb Vette that's going to be somewhat unbelievable.
So was it a prank when CD's "5 things you didn't know about the C7" Said the Stingray would be a second year release and would be a sub-base model with a 400hp V6?

I could see it being under 3000lbs if it has a V6, but I shudder at the thought.
hig4s is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 03:54 PM   #17
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

Set aside the negative marketing impact of a V6 Corvette for a moment:
  • Look at the technology in he LT1.
  • Look at the promised 450/450 with the weight of the LT1 being only a bit heavier than the LS3, but better MPG
  • Look at the weight of GM's DOHC V6. Now add twin turbos to it. Ooops, the TT V6 is heavier than the NA LT1, likely gets worse MPG and maybe the same HP, but less tq.
  • Look at the leaked GM CAD drawing of the supercharged LT?

Car & Driver cannot be right about the V6 ... oh, except that every LT1 is a V4-V6-V8, so maybe they'll claim that is what they meant.

I'm not convinced the weight will be below 3000 lbs either. Yes, it will be significantly lighter than the C6, but sub 3k is a challenge. Hope they made it.
Longtimer is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
'07:bought from a former sponsor, Z06 wheels and Vararam from former sponsors, Various accessories from Corvette Central and Corvette America. B&B Fusions with Corsa X pipe. Shine from Adam's
'87: refurbished all interior with parts from Corv Central '79: Interior refurb = Corvette America, and Corvette Central, T1Rs, Foose Legends
DC Sponsors
________________________________________ ________

Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green. Watching for C8 fixes & improvements
Old 12-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #18
Roadkillz
Formerly DOC7000

Member #820

One thing that people have not taken into account about the LT-1 output is on the low end. On the low end the LT-1 engine beats the 7.0L LS7 engine and produces as much as 50ft-lbs more then the LS3 at low rpms. Also the LS3 has a torque peak, while the LT-1 seems to plateau of around 450ft-lbs (I am going to see 455ft-lbs).

I believe that with simple breathing mods for the LT-1 engine we will see big gains. I will even predict 500-525BHP bolt on LT-1 engines shortly after the C7 is on sale.

Then I expect them to release the supercharged Z06 Corvette, and after that a 7.0L fire breathing monster to top things off.

Still though, if they manage a sub 3,000 pound curb weight then that will be impressive indeed. Porsche 9.... who?
Roadkillz is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. " Aristotle
Old 12-04-2012, 08:09 PM   #19
Roadkillz
Formerly DOC7000

Member #820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
When the C7 comes out, I'm going to buy 2 new C5 Z06's, one for the track, one for commuting.
Those are like $20,000 now, not a bad way to go.

$25,000-$40,000 in my area.....

Last edited by Roadkillz; 12-04-2012 at 09:00 PM.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. " Aristotle
Old 12-04-2012, 09:10 PM   #20
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkillz View Post
One thing that people have not taken into account about the LT-1 output is on the low end. On the low end the LT-1 engine beats the 7.0L LS7 engine and produces as much as 50ft-lbs more then the LS3 at low rpms. Also the LS3 has a torque peak, while the LT-1 seems to plateau of around 450ft-lbs (I am going to see 455ft-lbs).

I believe that with simple breathing mods for the LT-1 engine we will see big gains. I will even predict 500-525BHP bolt on LT-1 engines shortly after the C7 is on sale.

Then I expect them to release the supercharged Z06 Corvette, and after that a 7.0L fire breathing monster to top things off.

Still though, if they manage a sub 3,000 pound curb weight then that will be impressive indeed. Porsche 9.... who?
Some pretty good observations / guesses. All very possible. Ooops, IMO it won't dip below the 3k Lb. mark. Will still out accelerate its traction capabilities / properties.
'07:bought from a former sponsor, Z06 wheels and Vararam from former sponsors, Various accessories from Corvette Central and Corvette America. B&B Fusions with Corsa X pipe. Shine from Adam's
'87: refurbished all interior with parts from Corv Central '79: Interior refurb = Corvette America, and Corvette Central, T1Rs, Foose Legends
DC Sponsors

Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green. Watching for C8 fixes & improvements
Old 12-04-2012, 09:45 PM   #21
Roadkillz
Formerly DOC7000

Member #820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimer View Post
Some pretty good observations / guesses. All very possible. Ooops, IMO it won't dip below the 3k Lb. mark. Will still out accelerate its traction capabilities / properties.
Considering that the base C6 is 3,217 pounds what is your guess for the base curb weight of the C7 car.

I will say that it will fall in the 2,900-3,100 pound range, I think this is a safe guess to make.

Lets say it is 3,100 pounds and 450BHP, compared to the LS3 C6 which had a power to weight ratio of 7.4 pounds per horsepower. The C7 at 3,100 pounds and 450BHP has a power to weight ratio of 6.9 pounds per horsepower.

To put things into perspective the C5 Z06 at 405BHP and 3,118 pounds had a power to weight ratio of 7.7 pounds per horsepower. Early C6 Z06 had a power to weight ratio of 6.2 pounds per horsepower. The 2010 Porsche 911 turbo..... 7.0 pounds per horsepower, though it had AWD and the C7 doesn't. ZL1 Camaro, 7.0 pounds per horsepower.....

My performance predictions.......

0-60: 3.7 seconds
0-100: 8.3 seconds
0-150: 19.5 seconds
skid pad: 1.05Gs
60-0: 100 feet
Old 12-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #22
spd98
DC Crew

Member #4658

Quote:
Set aside the negative marketing impact of a V6 Corvette for a moment:
  • Look at the technology in he LT1.
  • Look at the promised 450/450 with the weight of the LT1 being only a bit heavier than the LS3, but better MPG
  • Look at the weight of GM's DOHC V6. Now add twin turbos to it. Ooops, the TT V6 is heavier than the NA LT1, likely gets worse MPG and maybe the same HP, but less tq.
  • Look at the leaked GM CAD drawing of the supercharged LT?

Car & Driver cannot be right about the V6 ... oh, except that every LT1 is a V4-V6-V8, so maybe they'll claim that is what they meant.

I'm not convinced the weight will be below 3000 lbs either. Yes, it will be significantly lighter than the C6, but sub 3k is a challenge. Hope they made it.
It's not that much of a challenge if they are all aluminum.

I agree about the V6. It's not a benifit and the packaging would be terrible. If GM does a TTV6 it's won't be in the vett. I doubt it would fit, packaging won't allow it. Any TTV6 we see isn't going to be a LT derived pushrod motor. The only way GM could get enough air through it will be 4 valves and I'd bet it's more along the LFX engines design.
spd98 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 04:26 PM   #23
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spd98 View Post
It's not that much of a challenge if they are all aluminum.
What's all Al mean?
  • The HF rails save about 130-150 lbs. on the Sting Ray.
  • The rest of the suspension and frame is already as light or lighter than AL.
  • All the interior improvements add weight.
  • The engine is heavier vs C6.
  • The trannies will both have more gears and unless they have CF cases (silly for production) will be heavier vs. C6
  • Tires and wheels are the same size
  • The body will likely add CF pieces, but how many panels on the Sting Ray? Maybe Doors, front fenders, top and hood for better weight distribution.
  • The tunnel is currently Al. I'm not sure a CF tunnel would be wise. Mg would be costly, but possible.
  • There will be some underside plastic panels replaced with CF ...like the underside of the hatch, under the dash, maybe the firewall, maybe the inside of the doors will use some CF supports, and maybe some fender wells(?)
I was asked last night what I thought the weight would be and I keep turning it over in my mind. I definitely could be missing something - especially new tech - but I keep coming back to around 3050 as the lowest of my best guess range for a basic stripped Sting Ray, with the liklihood of 3075. At this weight, it would be the lightest corvette in several decades.

What level of tech will be added to the base car, versus being included in upgrade packages? What is the appropriate level of new tech required for a high $50's, maybe low $60's sports car, and how much weight does it add? ...the Mylink? ... Onstar? Lots of new tech will be available, some mandatory. A rearview camera will be required. What else?

Car magazine road test cars will come in much heavier, because they be fitted out well for good impressions, the interior in particular. They want good reviews, so GM will provide the best seats and nicest interiors if they can. How much will all this with a/c seats net out even if the seat frames are CF & Al? Signals in the mirrors, color HUD, larger programmable infotainment with a hard disk, etc. Yes, most of this will be options, but most it'll all be there on the C&D, MT, and R&T test cars.

Quote:
I agree about the V6. It's not a benifit and the packaging would be terrible. If GM does a TTV6 it's won't be in the vett. I doubt it would fit, packaging won't allow it. Any TTV6 we see isn't going to be a LT derived pushrod motor. The only way GM could get enough air through it will be 4 valves and I'd bet it's more along the LFX engines design.
To me, the TTV6 reports/rumors for the cars are head scratchers. They weigh more, they are bigger, and they certainly cost more to assemble than an LS/LT V8 that can develop the same performance numbers and probably the same MPG or better in real life driving.

Unless there is an undeniable need in the trucks to go head to head with the Ford, the TTV6 makes no sense. Hire a better marketing company if it is a perception issue. JMHO

BTW, this month's R&T had a brief article on the LT1. No new information. HOWEVER, they did show the outline of a BMW TT 4.4L V8 with the outline of the LT1 inside the BMW outline. My first thought, "FINALLY, someone gets it." GM's advertising agency should be capitalizing on comparisons like this in their magazine ads IMO.
DC Sponsors

Old 12-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #24
spd98
DC Crew

Member #4658

Quote:
What's all Al mean?
  • The HF rails save about 130-150 lbs. on the Sting Ray.
  • The rest of the suspension and frame is already as light or lighter than AL.
  • All the interior improvements add weight.
  • The engine is heavier vs C6.
  • The trannies will both have more gears and unless they have CF cases (silly for production) will be heavier vs. C6
  • Tires and wheels are the same size
  • The body will likely add CF pieces, but how many panels on the Sting Ray? Maybe Doors, front fenders, top and hood for better weight distribution.
  • The tunnel is currently Al. I'm not sure a CF tunnel would be wise. Mg would be costly, but possible.
  • There will be some underside plastic panels replaced with CF ...like the underside of the hatch, under the dash, maybe the firewall, maybe the inside of the doors will use some CF supports, and maybe some fender wells(?)
I was asked last night what I thought the weight would be and I keep turning it over in my mind. I definitely could be missing something - especially new tech - but I keep coming back to around 3050 as the lowest of my best guess range for a basic stripped Sting Ray, with the liklihood of 3075. At this weight, it would be the lightest corvette in several decades.

What level of tech will be added to the base car, versus being included in upgrade packages? What is the appropriate level of new tech required for a high $50's, maybe low $60's sports car, and how much weight does it add? ...the Mylink? ... Onstar? Lots of new tech will be available, some mandatory. A rearview camera will be required. What else?

Car magazine road test cars will come in much heavier, because they be fitted out well for good impressions, the interior in particular. They want good reviews, so GM will provide the best seats and nicest interiors if they can. How much will all this with a/c seats net out even if the seat frames are CF & Al? Signals in the mirrors, color HUD, larger programmable infotainment with a hard disk, etc. Yes, most of this will be options, but most it'll all be there on the C&D, MT, and R&T test cars.

To me, the TTV6 reports/rumors for the cars are head scratchers. They weigh more, they are bigger, and they certainly cost more to assemble than an LS/LT V8 that can develop the same performance numbers and probably the same MPG or better in real life driving.

Unless there is an undeniable need in the trucks to go head to head with the Ford, the TTV6 makes no sense. Hire a better marketing company if it is a perception issue. JMHO

BTW, this month's R&T had a brief article on the LT1. No new information. HOWEVER, they did show the outline of a BMW TT 4.4L V8 with the outline of the LT1 inside the BMW outline. My first thought, "FINALLY, someone gets it." GM's advertising agency should be capitalizing on comparisons like this in their magazine ads IMO.
You can drop weight in the car easy enough. The new seats appear to be designed to do that. I Think you will see a lot of aluminum full frame, tunnel cover, possibly the roll hoop. I would suspect they will loose a good bit in the hatch as well. The new design has less glass, then they could do something like maybe even poly-carbonate instead of glass. Brakes will be lighter, 2 piece rotors aluminum hats.

If you look at the ATS program which used an "active" approach to weight management. They dropped a ton of weight in fasteners. The actually did the FEA and and engineering work to use a 6 mm bolt instead of a 8 mm bolt. In the past they would do rough math and know it would never approach needing an 8mm.

As for TTV6 I think you'll see it in the Lambda's in some variant. Also as an optional engine in the new CTS. I would expect the CTS line up to have the LFX,TTv6, and then some sort of LTA type engine in the V. It could make it into the XTS as well.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:56 PM   #25
Roadkillz
Formerly DOC7000

Member #820

I completely agree on the weight issue with you spd8 but that goes without saying.

I do wonder which GM vehicles will get the TT V-6 engine option, I also remember hearing that the TT V-6 was going to be an engine option in the next CTS. Also the word is that the ATS V debate was between a 6.2L SBC and a TT V-6 engine.

If I remember right there are those at Buick who want to do a new Grand National. Before it was using the ZETA platform and now they want to use the Alpha platform combined with the TT V-6 engine.

One thing that I never understood was the huge lack of engine options on American market vehicles. The US market Camaro has 3 engines a 3.6L V-6 (LFX) a 6.2L V-6 (LS3 manual and L99 auto), and a 6.2L supercharged V-8 (LSA). However just look at the BMW 3 series in the UK....

316d
318d
320d
330d

320i
328i
335i

Though it looks like at least with the 6th generation Camaro we will see a fourth engine option. The base model is slated to get the same 2.0T that is in the ATS 2.0T which produces 272BHP.

The C7 Corvette isn't a vehicle that needs a lot of engine options, though many other vehicles sold in the US could benefit from more engine options.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:37 PM   #26
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

Hope you guys are right about the weight. I do not see some of the changes mentioned happening myself. Cutting another 220 lbs off a C6 and deliver a real world production vette at a reasonable cost/price will be a big challenge.

We'll see.
DC Sponsors

Old 12-05-2012, 11:16 PM   #27
Roadkillz
Formerly DOC7000

Member #820

Quote:
Hope you guys are right about the weight. I do not see some of the changes mentioned happening myself. Cutting another 220 lbs off a C6 and deliver a real world production vette at a reasonable cost/price will be a big challenge.

We'll see.
I was looking at a thread on another forum, without stripping the C6 Z06 with a base weight of 3,130 pounds (2006) purely with after market parts in place of factory parts you can get the weight down to 2,870 pounds (without using carbon fiber). That is almost a drop of 300 pounds and I am sure that you can find a bit more weight over that to remove. BTW the two side air bags combined are 1.7 pounds.....
Old 12-06-2012, 03:03 AM   #28
spd98
DC Crew

Member #4658

Quote:
I completely agree on the weight issue with you spd8 but that goes without saying.

I do wonder which GM vehicles will get the TT V-6 engine option, I also remember hearing that the TT V-6 was going to be an engine option in the next CTS. Also the word is that the ATS V debate was between a 6.2L SBC and a TT V-6 engine.

If I remember right there are those at Buick who want to do a new Grand National. Before it was using the ZETA platform and now they want to use the Alpha platform combined with the TT V-6 engine.

One thing that I never understood was the huge lack of engine options on American market vehicles. The US market Camaro has 3 engines a 3.6L V-6 (LFX) a 6.2L V-6 (LS3 manual and L99 auto), and a 6.2L supercharged V-8 (LSA). However just look at the BMW 3 series in the UK....

316d
318d
320d
330d

320i
328i
335i

Though it looks like at least with the 6th generation Camaro we will see a fourth engine option. The base model is slated to get the same 2.0T that is in the ATS 2.0T which produces 272BHP.

The C7 Corvette isn't a vehicle that needs a lot of engine options, though many other vehicles sold in the US could benefit from more engine options.
While I see your point on the engine argument I think you have to realize the Camaro has only one variant or body configuration. The 3 series has a coupe, sedan, wagon, and SUV based off of it. I don't think GM uses a single chasis for the number of vehicles BMW does and that is one reason it happens.

I'm still a little shy of the 2.0T. I've seen 3 of them have issues (all were LNF's though). I have one now that I will be pulling apart (once I get moved in a couple of months) in the Sol GXP my wife drives.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:30 AM   #29
Blast
DC Crew

Member #5275

Quote:

316d
318d
320d
330d

320i
328i
335i

Well, one thing I didn't know that apparently some BMW nut at work did was that they've all turboed everything now and they've remade their engine lineup completely for this year (or last year, I donno, I'm not that BMW nut).

I'll give the 5-series as an example here cause that's what we talked about:

They have 3 engines on petrol. I don't know about diesels.

I could be wrong about a detail cause it goes from memory:

Anything <= 528i is a 2.0L 4 with turbo(s).

Anything <= 535i is a 3.0L 6 with turbo(s).

The rest is a 4.4L V8, again with turbo(s).

The rest is all in the tuning.

So yes, they have many options but it's not that many engines in reality.

// Stefan
Blast is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 08:02 AM   #30
spd98
DC Crew

Member #4658

Your going to see simular stuff on the ATS and CTS in the future.

Many variants on the same platform and many engine choices for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.