Are Pubs holding a gun to thier own head. - Page 2 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > News Room
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

News Room This section is for discussing current events.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 12-05-2012, 09:03 AM   #16
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by the machine View Post
So what is the middle??? The polls reflect what the people percieve. Obama ran and won on the issue of higher taxes for the top 2%. That is what the people want. So give it to them. If the economy tanks again, the blame goes to Obama, if we hold up the tax increases for the rich and they go up for eveybody, the people will blame the pubs. If we do not do anything and the economy faulters at all the Pubs get the blame. Sometimes you have to let the other side hang themselves so you can prove your point, only then can you come back and say, we gave that a shot and it failed now lets do it our way.
You are probably right. But doing it that way is just allowing the masses to continue to live with the delusion that things will never have to change. They think there is a magical money pot hidden under the houses of the rich that will pay for everyone's medical care, retirement, etc. That pot of money is too small for those needs, and the masses refuse to acknowledge that, because doing so would logically mean that our expectations need to lower or we all need to plan on paying higher taxes. I'm to the point where, regardless of the political fallout, we need to let the country sink or swim. If the public thinks we can swim by taxing the top 2%, they better get their scuba gear on.
Texdentist is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 02:40 PM   #17
Upheval

Member #63633

My Corvette(s)
2007 C6

OBAMA: There Won't Be A Debt Ceiling Negotiation This Time

I think the Machine is working for the Obama Administration

http://www.businessinsider.com/obama...-cliff-2012-12

In "off-the-cuff" remarks at the Business Roundtable in Washington, D.C, today, President Barack Obama was firm in a stance that he would not be "playing that game" of negotiating the raising of the debt ceiling. He said a rise in the debt ceiling would have to be a part of a deal to avert the so-called "fiscal cliff."
Obama quoted John Engler, the president of the Business Roundtable, who charged in November that it's "not a good weapon for anything except destroying our own credit rating."
"That is a bad strategy for America, it's a bad strategy for your businesses and it is not a game I will play," Obama said. "We are not going to play that game again next year. We've got to break that habit before it starts."
This morning, the U.S. Treasury outlined the so-called "McConnell Provision," which would change the debt ceiling not into something that has to be raised, but something that has to be voted against. Under the proposal, the debt ceiling would automatically rise unless Congress voted against it.
In his remarks, Obama also maintained that it's "not possible" to raise enough revenue for a fiscal-cliff deal by simply eliminating loopholes and deductions in the tax code which is the plan House Speaker John Boehner offered on Monday.
He immediately amended that remark, saying it was "possible," but not "practical."
"The notion that some how we're just going to eliminate charitable deductions is just unlikely," Obama said in his reasoning.
Obama repeated that for a deal to be reached with Congressional Republicans, marginal tax rates must rise on incomes above $250,000. He said that House Speaker John Boehner is holding that up from happening.
"We can probably solve this in about a week," Obama said. "It's not that tough."

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/obama...#ixzz2EDD4qnMU
Upheval is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #18
blckslvr79

Member #67576

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upheval View Post

In "off-the-cuff" remarks at the Business Roundtable in Washington, D.C, today, President Barack Obama was firm in a stance that he would not be "playing that game" of negotiating the raising of the debt ceiling. He said a rise in the debt ceiling would have to be a part of a deal to avert the so-called "fiscal cliff."
Obama quoted John Engler, the president of the Business Roundtable, who charged in November that it's "not a good weapon for anything except destroying our own credit rating."
"That is a bad strategy for America, it's a bad strategy for your businesses and it is not a game I will play," Obama said. "We are not going to play that game again next year. We've got to break that habit before it starts."
This morning, the U.S. Treasury outlined the so-called "McConnell Provision," which would change the debt ceiling not into something that has to be raised, but something that has to be voted against. Under the proposal, the debt ceiling would automatically rise unless Congress voted against it.
In his remarks, Obama also maintained that it's "not possible" to raise enough revenue for a fiscal-cliff deal by simply eliminating loopholes and deductions in the tax code which is the plan House Speaker John Boehner offered on Monday.
He immediately amended that remark, saying it was "possible," but not "practical."
"The notion that some how we're just going to eliminate charitable deductions is just unlikely," Obama said in his reasoning.
Obama repeated that for a deal to be reached with Congressional Republicans, marginal tax rates must rise on incomes above $250,000. He said that House Speaker John Boehner is holding that up from happening.
"We can probably solve this in about a week," Obama said. "It's not that tough."

We're living in backward times.
blckslvr79 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
I'm taking care of my procrastination issues, just you wait and see.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:31 PM   #19
the machine
"Clown"

Member #67421

My Corvette(s)
1966 Big Block Vert, 2008 Z06, 1969 435 , 1959 vert. Non vette ...2011 CTS-V wgn, 2014 silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upheval View Post

Why are we negociating to cut spending if all we have to do is not increase the debt limit???? Because the debt limit is not the mechanism for reducing spending. The debt limit is simply the mechanism that allows us to pay our bills....the bills that congress already approved the spending on.

Not raising the debt limit is like telling your wife to take the car in for a repair, and when it's time to pick it up you say no way I am not paying for that.
the machine is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Welcome to the Machine...... (I'm still a clown) this from Ponch (second time) who is supposed to be a moderator on this site....but of course if you disagree with him this is the sort of thing he does. It is simply amazing that anyone would give a guy who is so obviously childish and spiteful a position of authority.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:44 PM   #20
blckslvr79

Member #67576

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Quote:
Why are we negociating to cut spending if all we have to do is not increase the debt limit???? Because the debt limit is not the mechanism for reducing spending. The debt limit is simply the mechanism that allows us to pay our bills....the bills that congress already approved the spending on.

Not raising the debt limit is like telling your wife to take the car in for a repair, and when it's time to pick it up you say no way I am not paying for that.
Yet considering the cost of that auto repair and what you can afford, might be an important step prior to authorizing the job. Same as running a country within your authorization...Maybe if the POTUS does not have the authority to pay the bills, he should be a bit more involved with what's approved?
Old 12-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #21
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
But if your wife also ran up $100,000 in credit card bills before she had the car trouble, you might tell her you were tearing up the credit cards (freezing the debt limit) until she got her current debt paid down.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:54 PM   #22
Upheval

Member #63633

My Corvette(s)
2007 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blckslvr79 View Post
Yet considering the cost of that auto repair and what you can afford, might be an important step prior to authorizing the job. Same as running a country within your authorization...Maybe if the POTUS does not have the authority to pay the bills, he should be a bit more involved with what's approved?
What ever is going to happen they need to hurry and figure it out because the Obama's go to Hawaii on the 17th till the 6th of next year.
Upheval is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 05:13 PM   #23
the machine
"Clown"

Member #67421

My Corvette(s)
1966 Big Block Vert, 2008 Z06, 1969 435 , 1959 vert. Non vette ...2011 CTS-V wgn, 2014 silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texdentist View Post
But if your wife also ran up $100,000 in credit card bills before she had the car trouble, you might tell her you were tearing up the credit cards (freezing the debt limit) until she got her current debt paid down.
By all means explain to me the legal mechanism that the president has to stop spending that has been authorized by congress. If Obama could choose to not spend money as he saw fit, why would he have to negociate to reduce military spending. Hell he could just say sorry pentagon no money for you. If he did that you guys would be screaming bloody murder and rightly so, because he would have far exceeded his authority.

You guys have no understanding of the rules that the president works under.
Welcome to the Machine...... (I'm still a clown) this from Ponch (second time) who is supposed to be a moderator on this site....but of course if you disagree with him this is the sort of thing he does. It is simply amazing that anyone would give a guy who is so obviously childish and spiteful a position of authority.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #24
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
By all means explain to me the legal mechanism that the president has to stop spending that has been authorized by congress. If Obama could choose to not spend money as he saw fit, why would he have to negociate to reduce military spending. Hell he could just say sorry pentagon no money for you. If he did that you guys would be screaming bloody murder and rightly so, because he would have far exceeded his authority.

You guys have no understanding of the rules that the president works under.
Well, the president doesn't spend money -- congress does. The president can only ask for money to be spent. He is not the king.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:22 PM   #25
the machine
"Clown"

Member #67421

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texdentist View Post
Well, the president doesn't spend money -- congress does. The president can only ask for money to be spent. He is not the king.
Thank you....so now why is congress going to hold up payments for spending that they have already authorized???
Old 12-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #26
blckslvr79

Member #67576

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Quote:
Thank you....so now why is congress going to hold up payments for spending that they have already authorized???
Job security.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #27
the machine
"Clown"

Member #67421

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Job security.
Uhhmmm that would be exactly the opposite. If congress fails to raise the debt limit and the US defaults on it's obligations....I doubt that they would ever be elected to another post again.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:33 PM   #28
blckslvr79

Member #67576

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Quote:
Uhhmmm that would be exactly the opposite. If congress fails to raise the debt limit and the US defaults on it's obligations....I doubt that they would ever be elected to another post again.
I was talking more to the point of needing to approve the same spending twice. Duplicate work.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:44 AM   #29
the machine
"Clown"

Member #67421

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
I was talking more to the point of needing to approve the same spending twice. Duplicate work.
I see your point....but they are playing a dangerous game. Last time it cost us a ding to our credit rating.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:06 AM   #30
walleyfisher
DC Crew

Member #81755

My Corvette(s)
1974 coupe & 1984 coupe

Quote:
Maybe you should ask this very question to Mr. Obama, he voted against it when he was in the Senate

I say if there is no serious cuts, let the sonofabitch go over the cliff, its headed there anyways
walleyfisher is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"If you're not on somebody's shit list, you're not doing anything worthwhile"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.