I'm done with Autozone - Page 4 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > News Room
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

News Room This section is for discussing current events.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 12-05-2012, 11:34 PM   #46
92Roadster

Member #36181

Quote:
Originally Posted by c6vettedude View Post
Just in general it seems that many (not just here) would be in agreement with store personnel bringing a gun to the scene, and I was just wondering if they'd change their mind about that course of action if they had a loved-one on the scene.

As an off-duty officer, you're never really off duty, but you'd first want to assess the situation first. If you see that there is no threat to human life, then there's no need for a gun. However, a rookie might panic, pull his gun and escalate the situation. A seasoned veteran would "feel" things out first, before pulling his gun. That goes for on-duty, as well as off-duty. Most situations involving a perp with a gun a resolved peacefully.
....I'm basing my answer on what I see out here in CA, I
would say in likely hood at 99% Law Enforcement would
drawn their weapon in this type of situation, you see it
all the time on TV, "officer involved shooting".....
92Roadster is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 11:41 PM   #47
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)
2001 Navy Blue Metallic Coupe

Garage
Quote:
I've been in stores that have been robbed on more than a few occasions, and imho, he should've jumped in his car, called 911 and followed the guy...giving the police as much detailed info as possible about the perp, the car, plates ect. If the employee had shot and injured, or worse yet killed somebody, then Autozone would no doubt be held liable. I love firearms, but often people think that just because they have access to a gun, that the gun is the only solution.

Too many people who own guns don't take the time to think things through, and don't realize the awesome responsibility that comes with a weapon. This is mostly due to the lack of respect for these weapons.

For those that "sided" with the employee, would you still feel the same if your kid, wife, gf or other loved-one was in the store?? Would you chance their lives with a guy who obviously didn't think things through??
If the perp brought a weapon to the crime, one would have to assume that he was willing to use it if necessary.
Junkman2008 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."
Old 12-06-2012, 01:08 AM   #48
c6vettedude
DC Crew

Member #120057

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92Roadster View Post
....I'm basing my answer on what I see out here in CA, I
would say in likely hood at 99% Law Enforcement would
drawn their weapon in this type of situation, you see it
all the time on TV, "officer involved shooting".....
True, but I think the reporting is often based on the outcome. If there's a shooting, then yes, it'll be all over the news, if it's resolved peacefully, then it usually doesn't get the air time.

But you didn't answer the question. Would you be ok with a store clerk getting a gun during a robbery if you had loved ones inside? Just asking, not bust'n ya balls
c6vettedude is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2006 Blk C6 vert w/A&A Supercharger kit w/V3 upgrade, Random Tech ceramic-coated LT headers w/hi-flo cats and Corsa Extreme exhaust. New dyno #'s 611rwhp/583tq
Old 12-06-2012, 01:18 AM   #49
c6vettedude
DC Crew

Member #120057

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
If the perp brought a weapon to the crime, one would have to assume that he was willing to use it if necessary.
True. Every situation is different and It may depend on what kind of Intel they have on the perp. If it's a kid with no prior's who's never been involved in a violent crime or never fired the weapon, then they might assume that he's not a violent guy. On the other hand, I wouldn't blame an officer if he did draw his weapon.

An old youth counselor of mines joined the Police force in Baltimore... of all places , he mentioned that if they don't have info, then they assume that the situation can turn violent. If their Intel tells them that the perp is unlikely to get violent, then they take other measures. This is mostly for the safety of the perp, as the officers are well trained and are more than likely to kill the perp...which is something they really don't want to do, unless they really have to.

The officers won't just go stand out in the open, but they'll assume safe positions and negotiate. If the perp has a hostage, then usually SWAT is called in and guns are definitely drawn .

I'm sure each state do things differently in different situations.
2006 Blk C6 vert w/A&A Supercharger kit w/V3 upgrade, Random Tech ceramic-coated LT headers w/hi-flo cats and Corsa Extreme exhaust. New dyno #'s 611rwhp/583tq
Old 12-06-2012, 07:17 AM   #50
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

Link to video of fired employee being interviewed by Greta Van Susteren.

http://gretawire.foxnewsinsider.com/...ing-a-robbery/
Texdentist is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 08:01 AM   #51
92Roadster

Member #36181

Quote:
True, but I think the reporting is often based on the outcome. If there's a shooting, then yes, it'll be all over the news, if it's resolved peacefully, then it usually doesn't get the air time.

But you didn't answer the question. Would you be ok with a store clerk getting a gun during a robbery if you had loved ones inside? Just asking,
not bust'n ya balls
....I knew you weren't ()

....to answer your question; yes I would be okay with it, I
believe it would bring to bear the robber's focus on the clerk
in the store....the robber would want to leave if confronted
by an armed employee before getting
shot as you see in most videos....
Old 12-06-2012, 09:56 AM   #52
Bill Davies
DC Crew

Member #118694

My Corvette(s)

Quote:

And possibly if not necessary.

Just putting it out there...I believe that if you pull a gun on someone while committing a crime, you have forfeited your right to life. Period. And if one of the victims has a gun, I hope they have an opportunity to make right the situation. Especially if myself or my loved ones are present.

With that said, IMHO, the only thing I could find fault with in this situation is that the employee yelled freeze and told the criminal to drop the gun like he was on some TV cop drama. If he was so certain that the criminal was an imminent threat to life that he chose to re-enter the store with the weapon rather than call police, he should have simply ended the threat.

"Verbal warnings" to a criminal holding a gun is a good way to get yourself or someone else shot because you have probably scared/startled the shit out of the criminal and you have also given away any element of surprise you might have had. Not to mention you gave the criminal 100% control of how the situation is going to play out.
Bill Davies is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 10:11 AM   #53
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davies View Post

Just putting it out there...I believe that if you pull a gun on someone while committing a crime, you have forfeited your right to life. Period. And if one of the victims has a gun, I hope they have an opportunity to make right the situation. Especially if myself or my loved ones are present.

With that said, IMHO, the only thing I could find fault with in this situation is that the employee yelled freeze and told the criminal to drop the gun like he was on some TV cop drama. If he was so certain that the criminal was an imminent threat to life that he chose to re-enter the store with the weapon rather than call police, he should have simply ended the threat.

"Verbal warnings" to a criminal holding a gun is a good way to get yourself or someone else shot because you have probably scared/startled the shit out of the criminal and you have also given away any element of surprise you might have had. Not to mention you gave the criminal 100% control of how the situation is going to play out.
Very thoughtful.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:33 PM   #54
c6vettedude
DC Crew

Member #120057

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92Roadster View Post
....I knew you weren't ()

....to answer your question; yes I would be okay with it, I
believe it would bring to bear the robber's focus on the clerk
in the store....the robber would want to leave if confronted
by an armed employee before getting
shot as you see in most videos....
You just might be right. My thinking is that the perp may just decide to take one of them hostage if confronted with a gun, to use as a shield. If shot are fired, then there would be a good chance of injuries or casualties. I do see your point though.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:35 PM   #55
c6vettedude
DC Crew

Member #120057

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davies View Post

If you're gonna do it... then do it!
Old 12-07-2012, 12:05 AM   #56
MEATHEAD1

Member #48881

My Corvette(s)
ZO6 07

simple answer here.
MEATHEAD1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
YES YOU CAN DRIVE IT,,,,JUST MAKE THE FIRST PAYMENT.

I'M a Post Whore <------its official now.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:24 AM   #57
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Garage
... so what did he say?
Old 12-07-2012, 06:41 AM   #58
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

Quote:
... so what did he say?
"Fortunately, I don't have to....Bam! Bam! Bam!"
Texdentist is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 09:05 AM   #59
92Roadster

Member #36181

Quote:
... so what did he say?
...what's up pussy cat whoa, whoa, whooa,
...what's up pussy cat whoa, whoa, whooa,
...what's up pussy cat whoa, whoa, whooa, whoooooaaa......
Old 12-07-2012, 09:20 AM   #60
Bill Davies
DC Crew

Member #118694

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Very thoughtful.

Thank you. Before I got my CCP, I spent a lot of time thinking about why I wanted it, and how I was going to conduct myself while I carried.
Bill Davies is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.