New Renderings - Dec 6th - Page 3 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C7 Corvette Forums > C7 Corvette - Facts | Info | Rumors
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C7 Corvette - Facts | Info | Rumors The first C7 Corvette info is rolling in...

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 12-06-2012, 09:09 PM   #31
DRM87
DC Crew

Member #59652

My Corvette(s)
1987 Corvette Convertible(Sold), 2001 Corvette Z06 SW(Sold), 1999 FRC 441lsx custom widebody

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinger430 View Post
Glad you like it DRM87. That's 1 confirmed sale for G.M. But please don't try to belittle the men and women who've made the Corvettes existence possible for so many years. If it weren't for them, you'd have no Fixed Roof Coupe to enjoy.
Just poking fun... Those that live in glass houses I suppose...

Perhaps we shouldn't belittle those men and women who've worked so hard to make the C7 a possibility at all, who continue the Corvette tradition for my generation and those to follow.
DRM87 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DRM87 For This Useful Post:
stinger430 (12-06-2012), Z06Fiend (12-08-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 10:11 PM   #32
alexandro777
DC Crew

Member #20294

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Draper View Post
Not sure where these came from, but they were just posted on another forum.
I really don't understand why every one is bitching about the new ass. The corvette never had a sexy ass in it's life.

Last edited by OldVetteFan; 12-09-2012 at 06:32 AM.
alexandro777 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 11:15 PM   #33
iowa61
DC Crew

Member #17961

My Corvette(s)
1966 427 Roadster

[quote=alexandro777;2000963]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Draper View Post
Not sure where these came from, but they were just posted on another forum.

I really don't understand why every one is bitching about the new ass. The corvette never had a sexy ass in it's life.

That C3 rear end is drop dead gorgeous, period, end of story. The C4 boring but not offensive. The C7 chaotic (though this rendering tones it down).
iowa61 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 11:28 PM   #34
dreamcars99
DC Crew

Member #119937

My Corvette(s)
C6 Z06, C6 Vert

In truth I never got much "old mans car", 90% of young people loved the 'vette. The exception was those Japanese car guys, who really only like Japanese cars and possibly a handful of European selections. But they are aggressive and arrogant towards just about anything, except, I suppose, a tuned up STi or a GT-R.

Alot of younger people admire modern Vettes. They know about the good mileage, that you can take it to a strip, or to a track.

What the Vette lacks in my experience is street cred not among young people, but among the "image is everything" crowd, the crowd that would respect a 328i but scoff at a CTS-V, or love an R8 but scoff at a ZR1. The Vette's didn't get much love from that crowd in my experience.
dreamcars99 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 11:31 PM   #35
dreamcars99
DC Crew

Member #119937

My Corvette(s)
C6 Z06, C6 Vert

Ill go ahead and say that I'd be willing to bet a large bar tab that the C7's rear will have those features, the teardrops, the weird-o taillights, and everything else that we've been shown, but that it won't look that discordant.

It will look 3x better in real life (which still wouldn't necessarily be good), just for not looking so jumbled and discordant. And as I don't have to often look at the back of my own car, I'll probably get over it. I already sold my C6 Z06 earlier this year, which was my last C6, and I wouldn't like to go a whole summer without a Vette.
The Following User Says Thank You to dreamcars99 For This Useful Post:
bkuper (12-07-2012)
Old 12-07-2012, 01:51 AM   #36
alexandro777
DC Crew

Member #20294

[quote=iowa61;2000965]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandro777 View Post

That C3 rear end is drop dead gorgeous, period, end of story. The C4 boring but not offensive. The C7 chaotic (though this rendering tones it down).
The only good looking ass in a corvette
alexandro777 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 07:53 AM   #37
spd98
DC Crew

Member #4658

The back end of the c7 renders just look busy.... and doesn't flow well with the rest of the car to me. I could understand the vents if they serve a purpose. But why all the lines and angles on a car thats mostly curves?
spd98 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to spd98 For This Useful Post:
Longtimer (12-07-2012)
Old 12-07-2012, 08:08 AM   #38
Andonis
DC Crew

Member #932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimer View Post
There has been no confirmation as yet, that Santa will be placing large amounts of k-nine excrement in each of their stockings.
Andonis is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 08:23 AM   #39
Andonis
DC Crew

Member #932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimer View Post
Thanks for chiming in. I guess I have single handedly beat this to death, but my goal, assuming the majority of us feel the same way, has been to make GM KNOW how unhappy we are and they should make themselves prepared if sales do drop off faster and deeper than they did with the C6.

If this happens, they might decide that an early life design update is required - 3-5 years into the gen.

I really have no idea if the sales will drop off faster than the C6, I just know there are a LOT of us who are unhappy and at least some of us who won't be spending $60k for a C7 with that rear end ... and side.
maybe you heard that the malibu will be redesigned tooo soon.
you know why i said this, dont you
Andonis is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 08:54 AM   #40
Fly03Z06

Member #68577

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamcars99 View Post
Ill go ahead and say that I'd be willing to bet a large bar tab that the C7's rear will have those features, the teardrops, the weird-o taillights, and everything else that we've been shown, but that it won't look that discordant.

It will look 3x better in real life (which still wouldn't necessarily be good), just for not looking so jumbled and discordant. And as I don't have to often look at the back of my own car, I'll probably get over it. I already sold my C6 Z06 earlier this year, which was my last C6, and I wouldn't like to go a whole summer without a Vette.
We have all seen pictures with the "Camo" covering.
Hopefully, the Camo covering will also be provided as a low cost factory installed option and not only offered as dealer installed.
Fly03Z06 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 10:00 AM   #41
dobrenyr
DC Crew

Member #29319

This looks more tolerable...OMG ! Maybe we are getting used to it, or getting over the shock factor. It does give us an idea how subtle changes to that original hideous design can be smoothed out to seem much more accepable... but i hope it doesn't look like a cheap hatchback... or subaru BRZ or 370Z or GTR or.... or... or... or anything but a corvette.
dobrenyr is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Tricky
Old 12-07-2012, 10:35 AM   #42
Dan85Vette
DC Crew

Member #9092

My Corvette(s)
'85 Vette - 383 TPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandro777 View Post
+1 for split windows
Dan85Vette is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Dan85Vette For This Useful Post:
iowa61 (12-07-2012)
Old 12-07-2012, 11:58 AM   #43
iowa61
DC Crew

Member #17961

My Corvette(s)
1966 427 Roadster

Youth Appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM87 View Post
As a current Corvette enthusiast (have owned 3) and a young person (Age 25), I think they hit it spot on.

If they are trying to appeal to the younger demographic, they did just that! The more I see of this car the more I absolutely love it! I for one, cannot wait to get out there and buy one. Its a shame I just bought my most recent vette in July. It may be short lived if it looks this good.

I'm tired of people calling my car a grandpa car (I don't think gramps would be driving a '99 FRC 441LSX, but thats beside the point). All I can say is, move over ya old farts, this isn't Grandpa's Vette anymore. 1/13/13 can't come fast enough!
Well, your post provokes a lot of questions about both what it takes, design-wise, to appeal to a younger buyer and how the economics of that strategy work out.

I doubt GM can generate sufficient revenue on the Vette product by designing to a narrow demographic. Passing tastes and an aging population work against that.

There is also no doubt that truly timeless design has broad appeal, across generations and other demographic metrics. That's a demonstrable fact.

As an aside, I have to note that in monitoring all the forums, there is little enthusiasm for the looks of this car so far. It's early yet, but even the few defenders out there are hardly calling this a breakthrough, instant classic...

To the contrary, the most enthusiastic (other than you) are saying "...you'll get used to it..."
iowa61 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to iowa61 For This Useful Post:
dreamcars99 (12-07-2012)
Old 12-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #44
dreamcars99
DC Crew

Member #119937

My Corvette(s)
C6 Z06, C6 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa61 View Post
Well, your post provokes a lot of questions about both what it takes, design-wise, to appeal to a younger buyer and how the economics of that strategy work out.

I doubt GM can generate sufficient revenue on the Vette product by designing to a narrow demographic. Passing tastes and an aging population work against that.

There is also no doubt that truly timeless design has broad appeal, across generations and other demographic metrics. That's a demonstrable fact.

As an aside, I have to note that in monitoring all the forums, there is little enthusiasm for the looks of this car so far. It's early yet, but even the few defenders out there are hardly calling this a breakthrough, instant classic...

To the contrary, the most enthusiastic (other than you) are saying "...you'll get used to it..."
That was a great post. Here's the thing, I live in a pretty nice neighborhood, my nieghbor makes six figures and works for Eli Lily, several of my neighbors own businesses and are doing well, they are all in their 30's, some early 40's, maybe a few late 20s.

None have nor can afford a Corvette. Its not a cheap car, even if its a very cheap car for what it does when compared to its peers, it is by far a luxury to have a Vette, especially a new one.

These people have mortgages, and kids that'll need college, and more. So they have no $4 figure 'vette payment, or the $50-60k it would take of savings ot pay cash for one, or if they do, that savings is for another purpose.

The Vette is probably much less an old mans car than a Ferrari, simply because you probably have to be rich or nearly rich to buy a Ferrari. Very few young kids have Ferrari money, and the number of them that do are irrelevant to Corvette sales. Selling some 'Vettes to rock stars or athletes or wall street all stars is not relevant to the total sales figures, its eminently relevant to Ferrari sales figures. No I would guess most Ferrari owners are not in their 20's at all.

The C7 will of course sell mostly to "old men", because they are the men with all the coin. I'm sure GM knows this, I can only assume that their intention to appeal to young people stems from a desire to prime the pump for future Vette sales.

To that end, the failure to include a proper paddle shifted manual (one of the crowning advances in cars in the last 15 years) would be a very bad blow to that goal. The failure to not continue the C5/C6 path of beating the pants off of various European exotics would also be a bad blow. AND IT WON'T HELP KEEPING THE LEAF SPRINGS, WHICH ARE THE SUBJECT OF MUCH MOCKERY. EVEN IF THEY AREN'T ANY WORSE THAN COILS, EVEN IF THEY WERE BETTER (I DON'T BUY THAT), THE MOCKERY THEY RECEIVE ALONE MAKES THE VETTE SEEM LIKE A FOSSIL. That won't help the C7 achieve its goal of attracting young buyers.

I didn't truly love the looks of the C6, but I absolutely think that the widebody C6 is one of the very best looking cars ever made. I spent more time staring at the looks of my C6 Z06 than any other car I ever owned. And thats a true statement, even though it wasn't by any stretch the most expensive of those cars.

The design of the Vette really wasn't broke. I do think that those "teardrop, mime clown eye" highlights we see in these renders will in real life look better because they will be vents, probably releasing air from the rear wheelwells. And they will be less ridiculous looking and more swoopy, leaving kind of floating tail lights. I don't think the C7 will be a disaster, but ...

I do admit I'm shy about grabbing a ticket to Detroit for the 13th out of fear that I'd wind up throwing up in my mouth at the unveiling, and being miserable for the rest of the trip. lol
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dreamcars99 For This Useful Post:
91redragtop (12-10-2012), Longtimer (12-07-2012), Z06Fiend (12-08-2012)
Old 12-07-2012, 03:27 PM   #45
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

Then yuk ...

Longtimer is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
'07:bought from a former sponsor, Z06 wheels and Vararam from former sponsors, Various accessories from Corvette Central and Corvette America. B&B Fusions with Corsa X pipe. Shine from Adam's
'87: refurbished all interior with parts from Corv Central '79: Interior refurb = Corvette America, and Corvette Central, T1Rs, Foose Legends
DC Sponsors
________________________________________ ________

Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green. Watching for C8 fixes & improvements
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.