Track Brakes - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > General Corvette Topics > Corvette Road Racing / Drag Racing / Autocross / HPDE
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

Corvette Road Racing / Drag Racing / Autocross / HPDE
Discuss racing, car prep, racing schools, HPDE's, and other track topics.

Sponsored by: Pfadt Race Engineering
Pfadt Race Engineering

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 12-08-2012, 06:29 AM   #1
The Beast
DC Crew

Member #58153

My Corvette(s)
2013 ZR1

Garage
Track Brakes

I'm basically using my Z06 for track mostly. Got a super charger and plenty of power, but I'm looking for some good track brake calipers that I can use racing fluid on and get the best performance for track use.
Anybody have suggestions?
The Beast is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Have some fun, we won't be back this way again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
HardcoreABN
DC Crew

Member #36463

My Corvette(s)
2000 Torch Red/Red Z51 coupe

what is your budget?
HardcoreABN is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
ASE Certified Automotive Repair Technician in: Suspension and Steering, Brakes, Electrical/Electronic Systems, and Heating and Air Conditioning

402 LS2- Callies Compstar crank/rods, Wiesco pistons, 11.5:1 c/r, Custom 235/250 .621/.595 115+4cam from Martin @ Tick, CNC LS3 heads, Edelbrock Victor water pump, Melling oil pump, Halltech air intake, LS7 MAF, Jet-Hot coated LG long tube headers, Corsa Tigershark exhaust, Hotchkis sway bars, Monster level 3 clutch, return style fuel system, 2 stage nitrous plate system
Old 12-08-2012, 08:02 PM   #3
DarthAWM
DC Crew

Member #83845

My Corvette(s)
2003 Torch Red 6 speed coupe

I know a couple that tracks between 15 and 20 weekends a year, they swear by Stoptech. That is with one C6Z making 700hp the other is stock motored with all the go fast suspension goodies.
DarthAWM is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
America is all about speed.
Hot, nasty, badass speed.
-Eleanore Roosevelt
Old 12-09-2012, 04:57 AM   #4
HardcoreABN
DC Crew

Member #36463

My Corvette(s)

If you don't have 5-7k to spend on brakes, the C6 Z06 brakes are still a very good option and that set up can be had for about $1200-$1800.
ASE Certified Automotive Repair Technician in: Suspension and Steering, Brakes, Electrical/Electronic Systems, and Heating and Air Conditioning

402 LS2- Callies Compstar crank/rods, Wiesco pistons, 11.5:1 c/r, Custom 235/250 .621/.595 115+4cam from Martin @ Tick, CNC LS3 heads, Edelbrock Victor water pump, Melling oil pump, Halltech air intake, LS7 MAF, Jet-Hot coated LG long tube headers, Corsa Tigershark exhaust, Hotchkis sway bars, Monster level 3 clutch, return style fuel system, 2 stage nitrous plate system
Old 12-09-2012, 06:20 AM   #5
The Beast
DC Crew

Member #58153

My Corvette(s)
2013 ZR1

Garage
My budget is pretty much open ended. I really don't want to spend more than 6 to 7 k on them though.
I've looked at the Baer and they sent me some templates that are all too big for my wheels. I have 17' on the front and 18' on the back. I think they may have sent the wrong ones, I'll have to get back with them.

SSBC and Wilwood look like good options, with less complications on them fitting. But no reviews. I'd rather get input from you guys.
I'll have to look into the Stoptech, hadn't seen them.
I make about 480 RWHP and the stock brakes don't do that well on track. I've tried different shoes, but they all are weak at 120 MPH.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:57 AM   #6
DarthAWM
DC Crew

Member #83845

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
My budget is pretty much open ended. I really don't want to spend more than 6 to 7 k on them though.
I've looked at the Baer and they sent me some templates that are all too big for my wheels. I have 17' on the front and 18' on the back. I think they may have sent the wrong ones, I'll have to get back with them.

SSBC and Wilwood look like good options, with less complications on them fitting. But no reviews. I'd rather get input from you guys.
I make about 480 RWHP and the stock brakes don't do that well on track. I've tried different shoes, but they all are weak at 120 MPH.
I see you are in western Louisiana, so I don,t know if you been to Motorsport ranch in Cresson but that is where my friends run their cars(also at TWS when Driver's Edge goes there) They see speeds over 140mph.
-Eleanore Roosevelt
Old 12-09-2012, 10:04 AM   #7
Vettefan34
DC Crew

Member #18361

My Corvette(s)
2002 EB ZO6,Vortech Charged 96 Camaro SS

Quote:

C6 Z brakes with hawk HP+ pads and brembo LCF fluid is a great combo I have found no fault bringing my Z down from 160 MPH. Rarely find fade and is usually driver error. As mentioned it is a very affordable option.
Vettefan34 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2002 EB ZO6- Doug Rippie Built A.R.E. Dry Sump 434 ci LS something..Wiseco 4.155 pistons,DTE 3.90 rear,RPM Stage V Transmision,Kooks 1 7/8 Headers, X pipe w/no cats, Borla Stingers, FAST-102/TPIS TB, Vararam .... 1320' 10.16@136 mph, 600RWHP,540RWTQ(E85), DRM Coilovers, T1 Sways, C6Z Brakes, Michelin PS Cup tires- 285/18 and 345/19 on 2009 Spyder Wheels.

Keep The C5's Alive!
Old 12-09-2012, 04:38 PM   #8
The Beast
DC Crew

Member #58153

My Corvette(s)
2013 ZR1

Garage
Yes, I'm a member at Motorsport Speed Ranch. TWS is a little ways for me to go. But it's a faster track I hear. So I will eventually visit there. I may try some C6 brakes. I assume they will bolt right on.
Which track is your favorite of the two?
Old 12-09-2012, 05:33 PM   #9
HardcoreABN
DC Crew

Member #36463

My Corvette(s)

yup , they bolt on with c6 rotors/calipers/hats. you will need longer brake hoses but there are many companies that sell those hoses.

If money isn't an issue, just get ZR1 rotors/stoptech calipers/hawk pads

Old 12-10-2012, 01:46 AM   #10
BaddAssC6
DC Crew

Member #65752

My Corvette(s)
c6 coupe z51

Wilwoods are nice. I have them on my car. I got the WA6 package. They are significantly stronger than my old brakes. Pedal feel is ok, but not phenomenal. They can handle the power without over heating even on a very fast track like California speedway. I went with the wilwoods because pads and rings are way cheaper then other brands. They did show much wear after a weekend at the track either. DRM has a alccon brake package that is very nice for $7k, much better than brembos GTR kit. The z06 package is great, but by the time younger a nice set of rigors and pads you are within $1k of the wilwoods. The best option that will not overheating is the z51 upgrade by phoenix performance. A bunch of t1 racers run this kit. They machine the inside of the z51 caliper and piston to allow for a significantly wider pad (16mm). They also install a titanium cup over the piston that acts as a thermal barrier. The final cost is $600 for calipers only. They will not overheating in the California Arizona heat on a 400-450 rwhp t1 car.
BaddAssC6 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
" The Ghost of the China Coast!"
Old 12-10-2012, 09:45 AM   #11
DarthAWM
DC Crew

Member #83845

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Yes, I'm a member at Motorsport Speed Ranch. TWS is a little ways for me to go. But it's a faster track I hear. So I will eventually visit there. I may try some C6 brakes. I assume they will bolt right on.
Which track is your favorite of the two?
If you're a member you might know my friends, the Halfords.

I don't have a favorite as I haven't tracked, yet.

C6 brakes will bolt right in, but will not clear stock C5 or C6 wheels. You will need C6Z, Grand Sport, or ZR1 sized wheels to clear.
-Eleanore Roosevelt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.