Lokar Throttle cable install - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C3 Corvette
C3 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

( Sponsored by: Zip Corvette Parts )

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 12-11-2012, 03:43 AM   #1
t_l75
DC Crew

Member #98868

My Corvette(s)
1975 corvette coupe

Lokar Throttle cable install

Okay so since I tried one of the universal parts stores throttle cables and that was complete junk, I decided I maybe should just find a factory cable. I then found out that GM doesnt make the part any more so you cant get it from any of the vendors. My mind went back to the universal type, but i knew I wanted to go with a more high end one. I chose the 24" univeral cable that Lokar makes, it was a very nice cable. Easy to install, cut to size and jjust deal with in general. I remember when I used the cheaper cable, how much of a pain it was to get it cut cleanly so the pieces would go back together. When iItrimmed the Lokar to size everything went back very easily and once i got the throttle cable through the firewall and hooked up to the throttle, the install time was maybe 5 minutes to trim and fit it to the carb.

One downside however is that the cables are designed to fit aftermarket throttles, so they have a clevis type hook up to the throttle. I didnt want to change anything with the factory throttle, for futures sake, but heres what I did: I just took a piece of scrap metal and bent it around the end of the cable and then drilled a hole into the metal so the cable will slide through but stop at the end where the ball is. It may not look the best, but I am only 19 and I and still learning a lot about fabrication. And hey, it still works the same and no one is ever gonna see it anyway.

The next thing was a throttle cable bracket. I decided i wanted to make my own bracket for this as well. I started off with some scrap metal, made a couple 90 degree bends in it. Then i drilled a hole, and made one more seperate piece with a 90 and drilled one more hole. I bolted the two pieces together and this is what I came up with.

Overall I am very happy with the way the cable works. It is very smooth and responsive. And for $45 and a few hours of work, I think it was well worth it, because it gives the engine a more modern look and goes along with the theme fOr the dress up I have envisioned.
t_l75 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 05:09 AM   #2
The Torch
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #799

My Corvette(s)
2004 Black/Mod Red-Z06

I have used Lokar products a lot in the past when I was building hot rod and they have a real quality product line. If you every have a special application that their universal stuff won't cover, they will work with you to come up with something that will
The Torch is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
RACING...Because with baseball, football, basketball, tennis, and golf, you only need one ball

I used to think that I had learned patience as I got older. Then I realized that I just didn't give a shit
Old 12-11-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
BB68Vett
DC Crew

Member #62654

My Corvette(s)
1968 427/390

t_l75, I like your fabrication skills. Nice job!

Can you post a picture of the cable passing through the firewall from the engine side? I'm curious how it's secured there.

Also, how was the fit onto the gas pedal? Any issues there.

I have my original 68 throttle cable installed and I always worry about it breaking at some point. Thanks.
BB68Vett is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 03:08 PM   #4
Sigforty
DC Crew

Member #59081

Front what I read about Lokar cables, I thought you could remove the clevis and have a ball end for the pedal to attach onto. I would like to see a picture of how you attached the pedal side.
Sigforty is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Its fast cause I threw lots a dollaz at it!!
"I set my standards low so I am never disappointed."
Mark B.
1971 Corvette Progress
2001 Z06 Corvette
http://members.cox.net/mbrowning4/MARKSSIGsmall.jpg
Old 12-12-2012, 03:26 PM   #5
t_l75
DC Crew

Member #98868

My Corvette(s)
1975 corvette coupe

its way to hard to try to get a picture since i already have it installed, but basically i took the clevis out of the cable, and what was left is the cable with a ball at the end. Kind of like a tear drop kind of thing. so I slide the cable through the metal piece I have the small hole drilled in(my first pic) and the ball stops once it reaches the end of the throttle cable. Then it is kept tight from the throttle return springs once i hook the cable to the carb
Old 12-12-2012, 03:46 PM   #6
Sigforty
DC Crew

Member #59081

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_l75 View Post
its way to hard to try to get a picture since i already have it installed, but basically i took the clevis out of the cable, and what was left is the cable with a ball at the end. Kind of like a tear drop kind of thing. so I slide the cable through the metal piece I have the small hole drilled in(my first pic) and the ball stops once it reaches the end of the throttle cable. Then it is kept tight from the throttle return springs once i hook the cable to the carb
I guess what I am asking is the ball too small? Is that why you fabricated the metal wrap around for the accelerator pedal linkage?

It is my understanding the cable should slide through the open part in the accelerator linkage and the ball should be big enough not to go through.
Mark B.
1971 Corvette Progress
2001 Z06 Corvette
Old 12-12-2012, 03:50 PM   #7
t_l75
DC Crew

Member #98868

My Corvette(s)
1975 corvette coupe

Yes, thats why I did the metal wrap around piece. The ball at the end of the cable is maybe only 1/8" in diameter, thats why I drilled the hole so small so that only the cable goes through. And the wraparound piece wasnt my first design, I just took my first design and modified it a little, hence the reason it looks kinda shotty. But hey, no one can see it and it works!
Old 12-12-2012, 03:54 PM   #8
72LS1Vette
DC Crew

Member #64323

My Corvette(s)
1972 Coupe

When I installed a Lokar cable in my 72 I didn't have to do anything at the pedal. The ball fit fine. It's been a while but maybe there was something missing on the pedal in the picture?

Rick B.
72LS1Vette is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
72 Ontario Orange Coupe. 2001 LS1 - LS6 block & Intake, Thunder Racing Cam, Ported heads and Throttle Body, Meziere electric water pump, Hooker Shorty Headers, 2001 T56 6-speed trans, VB&P Street & Slalom suspension, Magnaflow SS exhaust. Future mods: High-Performance floor mats.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:56 PM   #9
t_l75
DC Crew

Member #98868

My Corvette(s)
1975 corvette coupe

Well the lokar cable I ordered said it was a universal cable, but when I recieved it the instructions showed it was designed for Lokars aftermarket throttles. It had a clevis and a pin, not the stock type where the ball slides over and locks in place. Thats why I had to modify it.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #10
Sigforty
DC Crew

Member #59081

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_l75 View Post
Well the lokar cable I ordered said it was a universal cable, but when I recieved it the instructions showed it was designed for Lokars aftermarket throttles. It had a clevis and a pin, not the stock type where the ball slides over and locks in place. Thats why I had to modify it.
Here is a good Lokar install write up.

http://www.ihsto.org/old/lokar.htm

Additionally, you may be missing this item on the accelerator linkage, which should make the ball work.

https://www.paragoncorvette.com/p-35...-retainer.aspx

I think I understand what you did, was just trying to make sure.
Mark B.
1971 Corvette Progress
2001 Z06 Corvette
Old 12-13-2012, 09:36 PM   #11
72LS1Vette
DC Crew

Member #64323

My Corvette(s)
1972 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigforty View Post

Additionally, you may be missing this item on the accelerator linkage, which should make the ball work.

https://www.paragoncorvette.com/p-35...-retainer.aspx

I think I understand what you did, was just trying to make sure.
That is the piece that I was thinking of.

Rick B.
72LS1Vette is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
72 Ontario Orange Coupe. 2001 LS1 - LS6 block & Intake, Thunder Racing Cam, Ported heads and Throttle Body, Meziere electric water pump, Hooker Shorty Headers, 2001 T56 6-speed trans, VB&P Street & Slalom suspension, Magnaflow SS exhaust. Future mods: High-Performance floor mats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.