Will the Democrats agree to substantial entitlement cuts? - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > News Room
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

News Room This section is for discussing current events.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com
View Poll Results: Will Obama cut entitlements?
Yes-Obama is a man of his word with good intentions. 1 5.26%
No-This is politics as usual. 18 94.74%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-11-2012, 01:00 PM   #1
blckslvr79

Member #67576

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Will the Democrats agree to substantial entitlement cuts?

So that's it....The pubs are doomed in protecting lower tax rates for all. If the House holds, everyone's taxes will go up in January as the Bush tax cuts expire and Obama wins. If the House folds to save the cuts for the 98%, then the taxes go up on the "Rich". Either way, with Obama's re-election, taxes go up. The question is, will Obama agree to substantial entitlement reductions in order to reduce our deficit and debt to go along with the tax increases or will the Democrats push forward with even more spending?
blckslvr79 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
I'm taking care of my procrastination issues, just you wait and see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 01:05 PM   #2
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

I voted no, but I was looking for a third choice: "Not No, but HELL NO!" Also, you didn't ask if the Pubs would cave. My best guess is, yes they will. I expect rates to go up for the top 2 brackets with nothing but face-saving (for the Republicans) tokens from Dems. Boehner will probably be replaced as Speaker and they will have another row with Obama and the Dems in a month or so when the debt limit needs to be raised.
Texdentist is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
blckslvr79

Member #67576

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texdentist View Post
I voted no, but I was looking for a third choice: "Not No, but HELL NO!" Also, you didn't ask if the Pubs would cave. My best guess is, yes they will. I expect rates to go up for the top 2 brackets with nothing but face-saving (for the Republicans) tokens from Dems. Boehner will probably be replaced as Speaker and they will have another row with Obama and the Dems in a month or so when the debt limit needs to be raised.
I assume the Pubs will cave. Boehner lacks a boner and the ability to play politics as needed. Today's House Repblicans are about worthless in playing politics. When was the last time they won ANY negotiation with the Democrats? Today's Pubs always roll over and ask to get their tummy rubbed. That said, it doesn't change the poll questions.

My point is that the Democrats (Obama) are claiming that we need higher taxes to balance the budget and reduce our debt, but if you look at the reality of it, increased taxes, at any level, will not affect our debt level unless we reduce expenditures substantially. This is just a political game to screw the US people out of more money.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:15 PM   #4
grumpyvette
DC Pit Crew

Member #1106

My Corvette(s)
retired engineer, engine builder, racer 1985.1992.1996 cpes

obamas goal, raise taxes on everyone, especially the rich and blame any and all of the increases in taxes or cuts in entitlements or services on the republicans no mater what the truth is!
the fact that the government currently spends far more money than it takes in or that if he taxes the rich at 90% rates he can,t balance the budget will be ignored, its the MIDDLE CLASS that will be force to pay the bills and look for "rich" to constantly be re-defined ever lower from, 250K$ too 150K$- to 100K$ etc.
as long as stupid people can be lied to about those EVIL RICH GUYS that own the company's and generate jobs, being the source of the problem rather than GREEDY ,POLITICIANS
the SLIDE INTO THIRD WORLD ECONOMICS WILL CONTINUE

"Obama promised to "take responsible steps" that would "keep the promise of Social Security." But he failed to mention that the only options he's left on the table are raising taxes or cutting benefits. That may not be what people want to hear, but it's the absolute truth.

He trotted out his supposed plan to cut deficits by $4 trillion over the next decade. But his actual plan the budget he presented in February would add $3.5 trillion in deficits, according to the Congressional Budget Office."

http://news.investors.com/ibd-editor...ven=OutBrainCP

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Articl...are.aspx#page1

http://www.paycheckcity.com/fiscalcliff/cliff.html

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Articl...xes.aspx#page1
grumpyvette is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
" IF YOU CAN,T SMOKE THE TIRES AT WILL,FROM A 60 MPH ROLLING START YOUR ENGINE NEEDS MORE WORK!!"
Old 12-11-2012, 02:30 PM   #5
the machine

Member #67421

My Corvette(s)
1966 Big Block Vert, 2008 Z06, 1969 435 , 1959 vert. Non vette ...2011 CTS-V wgn, 2014 silverado

Could you please post up anything that shows that Obama ever agreed to cut Entitlements. I just don't remember him saying he would. He has talked about cutting spending, but I never heard him get specific. I did hear him say that he specificaly would not touch Social security, so if that is any indicication well he aint gonna touch entitlements. But you know he won the election. He gets to make his choices, for the next four years. It is kind of lame to think that he would cave to the party that lost the white house, and seats in both the house and senate.

If he does cut entitlements at all, it will only happen when it is perfectly clear that the pubs did it and that will doom pubs forever more with seniors who vote all the time and mostly for thier entitlements. That should put the cherry on top of the pub grave. They will have lost blacks, immigrants, women, gays, the youth vote and now seniors. Way to grow the party.
the machine is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Welcome to the Machine....
Old 12-11-2012, 02:59 PM   #6
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the machine View Post
Could you please post up anything that shows that Obama ever agreed to cut Entitlements. I just don't remember him saying he would. He has talked about cutting spending, but I never heard him get specific. I did hear him say that he specificaly would not touch Social security, so if that is any indicication well he aint gonna touch entitlements. But you know he won the election. He gets to make his choices, for the next four years. It is kind of lame to think that he would cave to the party that lost the white house, and seats in both the house and senate.

If he does cut entitlements at all, it will only happen when it is perfectly clear that the pubs did it and that will doom pubs forever more with seniors who vote all the time and mostly for thier entitlements. That should put the cherry on top of the pub grave. They will have lost blacks, immigrants, women, gays, the youth vote and now seniors. Way to grow the party.
So I guess the plan is just to lie low for 15-20 years and let SS and Medicare go under leaving Seniors with absolutely nothing. Then what? The Pubs get to point back to 2012 and say "we tried"? I don't get the passivity of the left toward the serious looming problems with our largest entitlement programs. And I don't want to hear how solvent SS is. The money isn't there to pay it back and the number of workers paying in is shrinking as the number of people collecting is growing. It is a disaster in the making.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #7
the machine

Member #67421

My Corvette(s)
1966 Big Block Vert, 2008 Z06, 1969 435 , 1959 vert. Non vette ...2011 CTS-V wgn, 2014 silverado

Quote:
So I guess the plan is just to lie low for 15-20 years and let SS and Medicare go under leaving Seniors with absolutely nothing. Then what? The Pubs get to point back to 2012 and say "we tried"? I don't get the passivity of the left toward the serious looming problems with our largest entitlement programs. And I don't want to hear how solvent SS is. The money isn't there to pay it back and the number of workers paying in is shrinking as the number of people collecting is growing. It is a disaster in the making.
So you never heard Obama say he was going to cut entitlements either. Ok thanks.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:29 PM   #8
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
So you never heard Obama say he was going to cut entitlements either. Ok thanks.
Am I missing something? I looked back up the thread and I don't see where anybody claimed Obama agreed to entitlement cuts. If he did, I'm not aware of it. I'm just not sure what it has to do with anything.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:43 PM   #9
Poncherello
Grey Squirrel

Member #5040

My Corvette(s)
Looking

I certainly hope they don't agree to cut entitlements....I'm due to pick up more cheese next week.
Poncherello is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-11-2012, 03:43 PM   #10
1963SS
DC Crew

Member #96709

My Corvette(s)
1995 C4

Quote:
I did hear him say that he specificaly would not touch Social security
Man....that just pisses me off. MY SOCIAL SECURITY is not an entitlement. If I did nothing my entire life, never put a cent into the system and lived off welfare programs then htat would be entitlements. Entitlements go primarily to a bunch of lazy bastards that want you and I to support them. Because they're Appalachian, because their great-great-great grandfather was a slave or because they're just too damn fat to get off their dead ass and lose a pound. Anyone else I can offend here??

I'm drawing money FROM the government that I gave TO the government. If the government had invested MY money that my employer also matched, at 3% I'd have to live to be 130 to get it all back. My dad worked his whole life and drew less than my neighbors who have never worked a day. They dropped two kids on their heads and now the kids are......slow. They get money for that. They get money because they're fat. They get food stamps, medical, real SSI cash and anything else they want.

If you want to fix the entitlements then get someone in DC to grow a set of balls and just say "If you didn't put it in, you get nothing out of Social Security." (Screw the double negative. I'm usually more literate when I'm not mad.) While they're growing a set quit sending endless money to the inner city trying to fix a problem that hasn't been fixed yet by doing that.

Drug test prior to getting ANY entitlement and clean up your streets to get money. Just gotta say, at sometimes in our lives, no more freebies. Get off your dead ass, quit selling drugs, pick up a shovel or a hoe (not that kind) and do something. Geesh, it's not hard.

My employer and I paid into Medicare and Social Security. I'm old now and I just want SOME of MY money back. Bunch of freeloading cocksuckers. THAT'S YOUR PROBLEM.
1963SS is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message

I can only dream of a world where a chicken can cross the road without having his morals questioned.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1963SS For This Useful Post:
blckslvr79 (12-11-2012), cagey59 (12-11-2012)
Old 12-11-2012, 03:46 PM   #11
blckslvr79

Member #67576

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncherello View Post
I certainly hope they don't agree to cut entitlements....I'm due to pick up more cheese next week.
Don't eat it all at once Ponch. It'll really bind you up.
Good stuff though.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #12
the machine

Member #67421

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Am I missing something? I looked back up the thread and I don't see where anybody claimed Obama agreed to entitlement cuts. If he did, I'm not aware of it. I'm just not sure what it has to do with anything.
I guess you are....

The poll question is
Will Obama cut entitlements?
The only two answers are ...
Yes-Obama is a man of his word with good intentions.
Or
No it's politics as usual.

So for Obama to be a man of his word, the first answer assumes that he would have had to have given his word that he would cut entitlements. I never heard him say that...did you??
Old 12-11-2012, 04:12 PM   #13
the machine

Member #67421

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963SS View Post
Man....that just pisses me off. MY SOCIAL SECURITY is not an entitlement. If I did nothing my entire life, never put a cent into the system and lived off welfare programs then htat would be entitlements. Entitlements go primarily to a bunch of lazy bastards that want you and I to support them. Because they're Appalachian, because their great-great-great grandfather was a slave or because they're just too damn fat to get off their dead ass and lose a pound. Anyone else I can offend here??

I'm drawing money FROM the government that I gave TO the government. If the government had invested MY money that my employer also matched, at 3% I'd have to live to be 130 to get it all back. My dad worked his whole life and drew less than my neighbors who have never worked a day. They dropped two kids on their heads and now the kids are......slow. They get money for that. They get money because they're fat. They get food stamps, medical, real SSI cash and anything else they want.

If you want to fix the entitlements then get someone in DC to grow a set of balls and just say "If you didn't put it in, you get nothing out of Social Security." (Screw the double negative. I'm usually more literate when I'm not mad.) While they're growing a set quit sending endless money to the inner city trying to fix a problem that hasn't been fixed yet by doing that.

Drug test prior to getting ANY entitlement and clean up your streets to get money. Just gotta say, at sometimes in our lives, no more freebies. Get off your dead ass, quit selling drugs, pick up a shovel or a hoe (not that kind) and do something. Geesh, it's not hard.

My employer and I paid into Medicare and Social Security. I'm old now and I just want SOME of MY money back. Bunch of freeloading cocksuckers. THAT'S YOUR PROBLEM.
Sorry but I am not the one considering Social Security an entitlement....that would be the pubs and Tex who say that social security must be reformed so that it will be around for a long time. GW Bush wanted to reform it by having us all put our money into the stock market instead of paying into SS...how would you have done with that, do you think????

I guess that the problem is that the meaning of entitlement is in the eye of the beholder. I guess everyone defines an entitlement as that money that the other guy is sucking out of your pocket.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:15 PM   #14
Poncherello
Grey Squirrel

Member #5040

My Corvette(s)
Looking

The same as my 401K, very well. But I can also see your point in wanting to allow the government to continue controlling it and fucking it up..... either way it's a win for us.
Poncherello is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-11-2012, 04:26 PM   #15
blckslvr79

Member #67576

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Quote:
Sorry but I am not the one considering Social Security an entitlement....that would be the pubs and Tex who say that social security must be reformed so that it will be around for a long time. GW Bush wanted to reform it by having us all put our money into the stock market instead of paying into SS...how would you have done with that, do you think????

I guess that the problem is that the meaning of entitlement is in the eye of the beholder. I guess everyone defines an entitlement as that money that the other guy is sucking out of your pocket.

Definition of ENTITLEMENT

a: the state or condition of being entitled : right

b: a right to benefits specified especially by law or contract

: a government program providing benefits to members of a specified group; also: funds supporting or distributed by such a program

: belief that one is deserving of or entitled to certain privileges

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/entitlement
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.