Michigan going "Right to Work"? - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > News Room
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

News Room This section is for discussing current events.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 12-11-2012, 06:45 AM   #1
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

Michigan going "Right to Work"?

TX has been right-to-work my whole life and people aren't dying in the streets. This is a faux issue. If you want to organize, feel free to do so. If you don't, go for it. Apparently unions missed the memo about freedom and liberty in this country.

President Obama on Monday slammed Michigan Republicans for their rapid push to pass "right-to-work" legislation, joining other Democrats who were making a last-ditch play to oppose the bill in the final hours before its likely passage.
The president weighed in on the debate for the first time during a stop at an engine plant outside Detroit. He departed from his usual discussion of fiscal crisis negotiations to chide local Republicans for pursuing legislation that would prohibit unions from demanding dues from workers.
"I've just got to say this -- what we shouldn't be doing is trying to take away your rights to bargain for better wages," Obama said, to raucous applause. "These so-called 'right-to-work' laws, they don't have anything to do with economics. They have everything to do with politics.
"What they're really talking about is they're giving you the right to work for less money," he said.
The comments were part of a last-minute attempt by Democrats to pressure Republicans in Lansing. Michigan Democratic Sen. Carl Levin and House Democrats also met Monday with Republican Gov. Rick Snyder and said they urged him to veto the bills. Meanwhile, Michigan House leaders called for more debate before the GOP-led Legislature takes final action on the measures as early as Tuesday.
Snyder, though, has committed to signing the bill. The Republican-led state House and Senate approved bills last week.
Lansing authorities are bracing for an onslaught of protesters Tuesday. They have increased police presence and plan road closings and parking restrictions around the Capitol.
Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid also added his voice to the clamor on Monday, calling the push a "blatant attempt by Michigan Republicans to assault the collective bargaining process and undermine the standard of living it has helped foster."
Snyder, though, has said he's "not picking a fight."
"I feel this is solving an issue for Michigan workers. We have hardworking people in Michigan and this is about giving workers choice," the governor said last week.
The surprise move by Michigan Republicans last Thursday to approve the anti-union bills touched off a firestorm in the home of the U.S. auto industry. Following high-profile fights over union privileges in Wisconsin and Indiana, Michigan in an instant became the latest battleground in that struggle.
If the bill passes, Michigan would become the 24th "right-to-work" state in the nation -- and American unions would suffer a stinging defeat in the cradle of the labor movement. Union bosses made clear they won't go down without a fight.
"It's an attack on working families, and we're gonna be there. We're not gonna stand for it," Bernie Ricke, president of the United Auto Workers Local 600, said, according to MyFoxDetroit.
According to MyFoxDetroit, members of Local 600 in Dearborn met Saturday to plan for the massive Tuesday demonstration, even going through a practice protest run with some members pretending to be Tea Partiers in support of "right-to-work" legislation.
Though Republicans control the capital and have the votes to send the bill to Snyder's desk, opponents are planning to mount a legal challenge should that happen. Given the rapid manner with which the bills moved and the fact some demonstrators were kept out of the chambers, Democrats say they'll challenge under open-meetings laws.
The Detroit Free Press also reports that Democrats could try and challenge a provision that exempts police and firefighters.
However, any attempt to bring the proposal to referendum is complicated by the fact that the bill contained an appropriation -- and under Michigan law, appropriations bills cannot be challenged by popular vote.

In order to bring the "right-to-work" bill to referendum, supporters would have to first prove the appropriation to be somehow invalid or inappropriate.
Opponents could also launch recall campaigns against targeted Republicans in retaliation, as they did in Wisconsin following a vote that cracked down on collective bargaining.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/12/10/police-prepare-for-major-protests-in-michigan-capital-over-union-bill/#ixzz2EkbLI3fQ
Texdentist is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 07:07 AM   #2
The Dude
DC Crew

Member #120318

My Corvette(s)
In limbo....

Michigan getting one step closer to freedom.

Last edited by The Dude; 12-11-2012 at 07:46 AM.
The Dude is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Rock on!
No...I can't spell...I'm a RedNeck!
Old 12-11-2012, 07:23 AM   #3
walleyfisher
DC Crew

Member #81755

My Corvette(s)
1974 coupe & 1984 coupe

It really is becoming the Great lake State
walleyfisher is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"If you're not on somebody's shit list, you're not doing anything worthwhile"
Old 12-11-2012, 08:13 AM   #4
blckslvr79

Member #67576

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

No Right to Education though....screw the kids!

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...an-union-bill/

Two Michigan school districts reportedly closed shop Tuesday after teachers called out, likely so they could participate in union protests tied to the expected passage of "right-to-work" legislation this week in the state capital.

Demonstrators have already started to march down the streets, as lawmakers return to put the final touches on legislation that would bar unions from demanding dues from workers. The move would make Michigan the 24th "right-to-work" state and strike a blow to organized labor in the heart of the U.S. auto industry.

Local unions spent the weekend preparing for massive protests on Tuesday, in a last-ditch push to pressure lawmakers. WDIV in Detroit reports that both the Warren and Taylor school districts had to close Tuesday after so many teachers called out absent.

Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder, in an interview with Fox News, said it was "unfortunate" that teachers called out.

"Too often the educational system's all about the adults," he said. "To see schools shutting down because of an issue like this is not appropriate in my view."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...#ixzz2EkyHG0hZ
blckslvr79 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
I'm taking care of my procrastination issues, just you wait and see.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:25 AM   #5
Upheval

Member #63633

My Corvette(s)
2007 C6

I wish one of the union guys would explain to us what all the ruckus is about and why this is such a big deal?

I have not read anything regarding the stopping of unions. It looks like to me that now because they are not forced and have a choice that it is a bad thing with those people.

Someone enlighten me please.
Upheval is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 11:44 AM   #6
walleyfisher
DC Crew

Member #81755

My Corvette(s)
1974 coupe & 1984 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upheval View Post
I wish one of the union guys would explain to us what all the ruckus is about and why this is such a big deal?

I have not read anything regarding the stopping of unions. It looks like to me that now because they are not forced and have a choice that it is a bad thing with those people.

Home of the free only means some times
walleyfisher is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"If you're not on somebody's shit list, you're not doing anything worthwhile"
Old 12-11-2012, 11:54 AM   #7
monsolo2
DC Crew

Member #35050

My Corvette(s)
1986 Two-Tone Coupe

Quote:

Sure thing... as someone who works for a company that employees UAW employees, I'm very familiar with this complete fallacy. The media and union reps would have you think that they are getting screwed and union families are going to be put on the street to starve... the real fact of the matter is that all this legislation simply does is force unions to stop making everyone who works for a union shop pay dues. This means that if you want to work for a shop that employs UAW workers but you don't want to be a part of the union, then you have that "right to work". Now, you won't be "protected" by the union but maybe you don't care.

The problem with most bigger unions today is that they collect mandatory dues from all of the workers in a union shop and then give that money to political causes that DO NOT reflect the political leanings of all their members. That's what scares the unions so much... losing all of that revenue that ends up in Democrat coffers thus ensuring the elite treatment of the unions. I'm all for this legislation, as are a LOT of union workers that are sick and tired of their $$$ going for political causes while the union contract negotiators are coming up with contracts that are not the best for the common worker. Most bigger unions of today have become large, greedy, and selfish corporations themselves... the very thing liberals would have us hate about business!!
monsolo2 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
You can only have it one way, America... individual freedom or big government. Which is it going to be?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to monsolo2 For This Useful Post:
cagey59 (12-11-2012), Upheval (12-11-2012)
Old 12-11-2012, 11:57 AM   #8
blckslvr79

Member #67576

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsolo2 View Post
Sure thing... as someone who works for a company that employees UAW employees, I'm very familiar with this complete fallacy. The media and union reps would have you think that they are getting screwed and union families are going to be put on the street to starve... the real fact of the matter is that all this legislation simply does is force unions to stop making everyone who works for a union shop have to pay dues. This means that if you want to work for a shop that employs UAW workers but you don't want to be a part of the union, then you have that "right to work". Now, you won't be "protected" by the union but maybe you don't care.

The problem with most bigger unions today is that they collect due from all of the workers and then give that money to political causes that DO NOT reflect the political leanings of all their members. That's what scares the unions so much... losing all of that revenue that ends up in Democrat coffers thus ensuring the elite treatment of the unions. I'm all for this legislation, as are a LOT of union workers that are sick and tired of their $$$ going for political causes while the union contract negotiators are coming up with contracts that are not the best for the common worker. Most bigger unions of today have become large, greedy, and selfish corporations themselves... the very thing liberals would have us hate about business!!
So the left lives by double standards???? NOOOOOO......
Old 12-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #9
monsolo2
DC Crew

Member #35050

My Corvette(s)
1986 Two-Tone Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by blckslvr79 View Post
So the left lives by double standards???? NOOOOOO......
I know!!

Shocking, isn't it??
monsolo2 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
You can only have it one way, America... individual freedom or big government. Which is it going to be?
Old 12-11-2012, 12:06 PM   #10
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

I saw one of them being interviewed this morning. For the rank and file it's about "fairness". It's not fair to work next to someone on a line who doesn't pay dues but gets the benefits the union negotiates. But somehow, it is fair to coerce those workers to give up their paycheck when they don't really want to be in a union. Sounds like a nine year old: "It's not faaaaaaaiiiiirrr"!!!!!!
Texdentist is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 04:01 PM   #11
Upheval

Member #63633

My Corvette(s)
2007 C6

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b18_1355258119

I cant see the link so if is not what it is suppose to be let me know.

It suppose to be one of the Fox reporters getting popped by one or more of the protesters.
Upheval is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 04:15 PM   #12
blckslvr79

Member #67576

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Quote:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b18_1355258119

I cant see the link so if is not what it is suppose to be let me know.

It suppose to be one of the Fox reporters getting popped by one or more of the protesters.
Damn!

Nice upstanding union members.

With ass holes like this fanning the flames, what do you expect?

Thhhheheee theee thheeee thheheee ....
Old 12-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #13
Wing
DC Crew

Member #13068

So my oldest son gets his first job at a grocery store near by, bagging and collecting carts......he is 14 at the time.
They pay every two weeks and he was expecting a nice first paycheck......I drove him there and stayed in the car to give him the pride of going in and getting his first paycheck....( in looking back I could kick my own ass for talking him into a job so young when he would have to work for the rest of his life.)
He comes out so upset and pissed off......he brings home less than $20.
After taxes and $40 UNION DUES! WTF?

We go in and I take it up with his arrogant boss who tells me its union protocol.... he is 14 years old dumb ass..... so your telling me he will be casting votes and such at the union hall with all the other union guys?
I told him they only showed a young man what unions do to their members.
The law will effect less than 1 out of 5 people here.

Oh, and that kid grew up to become a Black hawk pilot
Wing is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Every man dies, not every man really lives...."
Old 12-11-2012, 05:14 PM   #14
blckslvr79

Member #67576

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing View Post
So my oldest son gets his first job at a grocery store near by, bagging and collecting carts......he is 14 at the time.
They pay every two weeks and he was expecting a nice first paycheck......I drove him there and stayed in the car to give him the pride of going in and getting his first paycheck....( in looking back I could kick my own ass for talking him into a job so young when he would have to work for the rest of his life.)
He comes out so upset and pissed off......he brings home less than $20.
After taxes and $40 UNION DUES! WTF?

We go in and I take it up with his arrogant boss who tells me its union protocol.... he is 14 years old dumb ass..... so your telling me he will be casting votes and such at the union hall with all the other union guys?
I told him they only showed a young man what unions do to their members.
The law will effect less than 1 out of 5 people here.

Oh, and that kid grew up to become a Black hawk pilot
Your son learned a life lesson that day.
Sorry he had to learn it that way though.

Thank him for his service for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to blckslvr79 For This Useful Post:
Wing (12-12-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.