Feeling C7 optimism, and some predictions... - Page 4 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C7 Corvette Forums > C7 Corvette - Facts | Info | Rumors
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C7 Corvette - Facts | Info | Rumors The first C7 Corvette info is rolling in...

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 12-06-2012, 07:34 PM   #46
Roadkillz
Formerly DOC7000

Member #820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimer View Post
Exactly. The cost (requirements and effort to complete) to qualify and engine/drive train in Europe is much less than in the US. Frequently there are differences between what appears to be the "same" Euro produced engine for Europe and that engine for the US.

As Roadkillz says, we get fewer of their engines and frequently, there are differences (tuning for less of certain emissions - read lower power most of the time) in the "same" engine that comes across the water.

BTW, to the best of my knowledge, the only thing that changes on the LS when a vette is shipped to Europe is the name / number of the power unit.
In England its:
1 Imperial unit of horsepower = 1.014 Metric - a small but not insignificant difference

Other countries tend to use Kilowatts rather than HP. Conversion tables are on the net.
What is the cost to bring an engine to the US market compared to the European market? I would figure it would be cheaper in the US due to lower standards.

My best guess as to why there are fewer engine options in US market vehicles is because A its cheaper to have fewer and B the smaller engines may not do as well in the US.
Roadkillz is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. " Aristotle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 05:06 AM   #47
dreamcars99
DC Crew

Member #119937

My Corvette(s)
C6 Z06, C6 Vert

http://ls1tech.com/forums/generation...lum-block.html

Thats the now-famous, or infamous, thread in which a newcomer to ls1tech, who claims to be an "advanced combustion engineer" at GM is giving out information. He has implied that the LT1 may make closer to 500hp, 600 for a z06 and 750+ for a forced induction ZR1.

He also claims the motors will self-tune and gain 40-80 hp on E85, and many other things.

I think my prediction of a standard C7 beating a C6Z at most performance metrics, right down to 'ring times, by the end of its run will hold up.

Also, if what he is saying is accurate, the world will look right past the origami of the rear end. And, remember, there is still hope that in real life the rear looks ok, or at least forgettable.

I think the C7 will be a hit.
dreamcars99 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 09:22 AM   #48
ZL1GT
DC Crew

Member #13275

My Corvette(s)
Yellow 427

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamcars99 View Post

Thats the now-famous, or infamous, thread in which a newcomer to ls1tech, who claims to be an "advanced combustion engineer" at GM is giving out information. He has implied that the LT1 may make closer to 500hp, 600 for a z06 and 750+ for a forced induction ZR1.

He also claims the motors will self-tune and gain 40-80 hp on E85, and many other things.

I think my prediction of a standard C7 beating a C6Z at most performance metrics, right down to 'ring times, by the end of its run will hold up.

Also, if what he is saying is accurate, the world will look right past the origami of the rear end. And, remember, there is still hope that in real life the rear looks ok, or at least forgettable.

Of course it will be a hit

ZL1GT is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 10:01 AM   #49
Roadkillz
Formerly DOC7000

Member #820

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamcars99 View Post

With a really high compression ratio the use of E85 which is of higher octane then regular fuel (up to 105 octane) will result in more horsepower and torque.

though I am not sure on the other stuff, its possible that the base C7 will run a ring time faster then 7:22... just not likely.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. " Aristotle
Old 12-13-2012, 03:52 PM   #50
PNHNDLE96CE

Member #14104

My Corvette(s)
96 LT1 Collector Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkillz View Post
What is the cost to bring an engine to the US market compared to the European market? I would figure it would be cheaper in the US due to lower standards.

My best guess as to why there are fewer engine options in US market vehicles is because A its cheaper to have fewer and B the smaller engines may not do as well in the US.
I think alot of it is because Europeans pay a tax on engine size. Since we don't have that tax here coupled with the fact that they know American's don't want to be upstaged by their neighbor and will buy the 335i instead of the 325i because 35 has to better better than 25, right? Hence why spend money to certify an engine that you know will not sell here?
PNHNDLE96CE is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 02:37 PM   #51
Roadkillz
Formerly DOC7000

Member #820

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNHNDLE96CE View Post
I think alot of it is because Europeans pay a tax on engine size. Since we don't have that tax here coupled with the fact that they know American's don't want to be upstaged by their neighbor and will buy the 335i instead of the 325i because 35 has to better better than 25, right? Hence why spend money to certify an engine that you know will not sell here?
That is how i feel about the matter, they do not think the 320i will sell well in the us.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:39 AM   #52
cisco
DC Crew

Member #3629

My Corvette(s)
2002 Z06

Hopefully the weight loss in the c7 will offset my weight gain of the last ten years!
cisco is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 11:50 AM   #53
Roadkillz
Formerly DOC7000

Member #820

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco View Post
Hopefully the weight loss in the c7 will offset my weight gain of the last ten years!
I hear that tread mills are very effective for long term healthy weight loss.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:35 PM   #54
dreamcars99
DC Crew

Member #119937

My Corvette(s)
C6 Z06, C6 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco View Post
I think about that sometimes when I read about radios being deleted to save weight (what is that, 2 pounds? 4?) and things like that.

I fluctuate between 185 and 210, depending on whether its winter and I'm lazy and going to 213 christmas and thanksgiving feasts, or summer when I tend to run outside. Does that mean my car is messed up in the winter?

What if one takes a friend for a ride? lol
dreamcars99 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 05:23 PM   #55
spd98
DC Crew

Member #4658

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkillz View Post
With a really high compression ratio the use of E85 which is of higher octane then regular fuel (up to 105 octane) will result in more horsepower and torque.
This is FALSE. With DI knock isn't as much of an issue. Since the engine will run the same compression with gas and E85 it will not gain power. E85 has less energy than gasoline (about 30%) Octaine has ZERO to do with the amount of energy in fuel.

the self tuning stuff I can buy, Hptuners has suposedly been playing with this for a while internally. it still won't be perfect unless GM calibrates all of the MAF sensors for each car.
spd98 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 09:05 PM   #56
Roadkillz
Formerly DOC7000

Member #820

Quote:
Originally Posted by spd98 View Post
This is FALSE. With DI knock isn't as much of an issue. Since the engine will run the same compression with gas and E85 it will not gain power. E85 has less energy than gasoline (about 30%) Octaine has ZERO to do with the amount of energy in fuel.

the self tuning stuff I can buy, Hptuners has suposedly been playing with this for a while internally. it still won't be perfect unless GM calibrates all of the MAF sensors for each car.
GMs flex fuel engines produce more horsepower on E85 then it does on regular gas. The LC9 engine (5.3L truck engine) produces 315BHP (on gas in the Silvarado) and it produces 326BHP (on E85) (SAE J1349 certified). So the 5.3L engine in the Silverado gains 11BHP and 13ft-lbs of torque when you run it with E85 compared to pump gas. The LC9 engine runs 9.6:1 compression ratio (no where near what the LT1 engine runs).
Old 12-23-2012, 06:54 AM   #57
PredatorC6
DC Crew

Member #115883

My Corvette(s)
C6

Garage
My prediction:

The C7 will have the shortest life span of any corvette (except the C2) and will sell the fewest number of units since 1984.
PredatorC6 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Why do they call it "common sense" when, in fact, it has become so uncommon?

That's my opinion, it outta be your's.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #58
Patrick
DC Crew

Member #1

My Corvette(s)
Current: 2003 Convertible .... Previous: 1996, 1996 GS, 2001 vert, 2002 Z06, 2003, 2007 Z51, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredatorC6 View Post
My prediction:

The C7 will have the shortest life span of any corvette (except the C1) and will sell the fewest number of units since 1984.
I hope you are right so we can get on to the C8, which I hope would be made for Corvette buyers.

There is no "timeless" look to the C7 Corvette design, and no tie to it's heritage. It's a been-there design with Nissan GTR sides and Ferrari / Aston Martin styling cues.

The car will look VERY dated very quickly, since this look was cool 5 years ago.

My biggest worry is that if the C7 Corvette doesn't hit the sales #'s, that there will not be a C8.
Patrick is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patrick For This Useful Post:
Longtimer (12-23-2012), stinger430 (12-23-2012)
Old 12-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #59
stinger430
DC Crew

Member #8212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
My biggest worry is that if the C7 Corvette doesn't hit the sales #'s, that there will not be a C8.

And Welburn & Peter's will forever be remembered as the guys that killed the Corvette. I remember Welburn voicing his concerns about just that, in an interview sometime ago.
stinger430 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #60
bkuper
DC Crew

Member #16

My Corvette(s)
1994 Dark Metallic Red Coupe, 1989 Bright Red Coupe, 1986 Black Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinger430 View Post
And Welburn & Peter's will forever be remembered as the guys that killed the Corvette. I remember Welburn voicing his concerns about just that, in an interview sometime ago.
I guess we're about to find out.
bkuper is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Brian Kuper
Dallas, Texas
http://www.gff.com/

1994 LT1 Coupe (broken and sold)
1989 L98 Coupe (sold)
1986 L98 Coupe (bone yard)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.