Affordable Care Act keeps premiums affordable - Page 3 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > News Room
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

News Room This section is for discussing current events.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 12-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #31
syjones
DC Crew

Member #7751

My Corvette(s)
2013 4LT/1SC Crystal Red Cashmere 427

You're absolutely right. Sequencing the human genome was incredible, however it was not the pharmaceutical industry that did it nor did they contribute. More importantly they don't advertise that accomplishment. I was a math and science major in college, and I work in a technical and engineering career field. I think it is a tragedy we wasted years not utilizing our full scientific and technological potential. It was scientists and students that did that work and the pharmaceutical companies will capitalize on it to grow penises or breasts or something like that. Hell, it would be great if they would just work on curing the common cold, or maybe even something difficult like prostate cancer or pancreatic cancer.
syjones is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Past and Present Vettes: 1988 black/red automatic coupe ; 1992 black/red six-speed Z51 coupe ; 2002 six-speed Magnetic Red Z51 Convertible ; 2009 Victory Red Ebony/Titanium 3LZ Z06 ; 2013 Crystal Red/Ebony Cashmere 4LT/1SC 427
The Following User Says Thank You to syjones For This Useful Post:
blckslvr79 (12-13-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 07:14 PM   #32
Geneus
DC Crew

Member #64482

My Corvette(s)
Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by syjones View Post
You're absolutely right. Sequencing the human genome was incredible, however it was not the pharmaceutical industry that did it nor did they contribute. More importantly they don't advertise that accomplishment. I was a math and science major in college, and I work in a technical and engineering career field. I think it is a tragedy we wasted years not utilizing our full scientific and technological potential. It was scientists and students that did that work and the pharmaceutical companies will capitalize on it to grow penises or breasts or something like that. Hell, it would be great if they would just work on curing the common cold, or maybe even something difficult like prostate cancer or pancreatic cancer.
Actually, the large pharma companies are funding some of the largest human sequencing projects to date...literally 100's-1000's of samples at a time. They are keeping this information for themselves...trying to build databases of human variation in a whole host of phenotypes with the endpoint being the ability to identify new targets/and or biomarkers to be used for drug development/diagnostic purposes.
Geneus is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Forged 402 stroker, ETP 215 ported/polished heads, 1 7/8" AR headers, Fast 90/LS2 TB, Oz Exo-skel dual disc clutch, 5 point custom roll cage, 4.10 gears, DTE strut brace, DTE hardened output shaft, Rwhp/Rwtq?...enough to go 10.44@133.9 with a 1.55-60' and a slipping clutch...thank you RobZ for driving and ECS for the build.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:23 PM   #33
syjones
DC Crew

Member #7751

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneus View Post
Actually, the large pharma companies are funding some of the largest human sequencing projects to date...literally 100's-1000's of samples at a time. They are keeping this information for themselves...trying to build databases of human variation in a whole host of phenotypes with the endpoint being the ability to identify new targets/and or biomarkers to be used for drug development/diagnostic purposes.
Exactly, where were they during the initial research when all of the work and most of the money was needed? Pretty fart smellers aren't they?
Past and Present Vettes: 1988 black/red automatic coupe ; 1992 black/red six-speed Z51 coupe ; 2002 six-speed Magnetic Red Z51 Convertible ; 2009 Victory Red Ebony/Titanium 3LZ Z06 ; 2013 Crystal Red/Ebony Cashmere 4LT/1SC 427
Old 12-13-2012, 08:55 PM   #34
c6vettedude
DC Crew

Member #120057

Quote:
Originally Posted by XQIZT View Post
Look, you and I know that rates have been increasing with and without the new law.
....but I also agree that the govt. has always wanted a single-payer system. Pubs and as well Dems have been trying to push this for a veeeery long time. Like many programs that the govt tries to pass, timing is everything.
c6vettedude is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2006 Blk C6 vert w/A&A Supercharger kit w/V3 upgrade, Random Tech ceramic-coated LT headers w/hi-flo cats and Corsa Extreme exhaust. New dyno #'s 611rwhp/583tq
The Following User Says Thank You to c6vettedude For This Useful Post:
blckslvr79 (12-13-2012)
Old 12-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #35
syjones
DC Crew

Member #7751

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texdentist View Post
If by a new way, you mean 3-6 month waits after your doctor orders a CT scan or 9 months wait for a mammogram, then we are probably headed for a new way. I recently posted an article where a world health watchdog organization showed the U.S. was number one in the ability to get recommended tests and care in a short period of time. Our system is often belittled because of poorer healthcare outcomes than many socialized healthcare countries. But we are a much larger country with a much larger diversity both racially and economically, and we have one of the most sedentary lifestyles in the world - especially among the lower socioeconomic groups. But when it comes to getting care quickly when you need it, no one comes close to the U.S. - whether you have health insurance or not. You will probably get your "new way". Come back in a few years an let me know how you like it.
Interestingly enough this country's diversity and numbers are an asset not a negative. I ask you, what's more important, ones own convenience getting recommended tests quickly or a healthier population as a whole? Maybe if the majority of us had another paradigm, one of good health maybe, it could possibly be fewer instances of those kinds of issues of uninsured people getting emergency care or having to wait for those tests.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:54 PM   #36
blckslvr79

Member #67576

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Quote:
Interesting analogy the corvette has evolved in spite of EPA regulations and costs are extremely competitive regardless of the increase in technology through good business practices. The same good business practices could be applied to health care. My corporation could be better served spending more of its profits towards growing the business hiring more people to contribute to creating a more competitive business and lowering unemployment. . Not an entitlement but cooperation. More money in the coffers better health care for all. Pharmaceutical companies advertise drugs that promote a better sex life or something that will grow hair. What a waste. I never hear them speak on developing technology that prolongs life instead of erections. That stuff sells though.

If Obama Care was intended to lower costs and improve care, everything you just said would have been in the design. You are right on. The first step would be to open competition accross state lines and allowing larger co-oped groups amoungst smaller group employers. But NONE of what you or I suggest is in Obama care. Why is that?
blckslvr79 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
I'm taking care of my procrastination issues, just you wait and see.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:00 PM   #37
blckslvr79

Member #67576

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneus View Post
Well, I have a bit of a different take...and I too am in a way employed in the healthcare industry...though at its base. If you look at organizations like Kaiser Permanente, UPMC Healthcare System, The Mayo Clinic, The Cleveland Clinic, and Harvard Partners Healthcare System I believe you will see the future of "commercial" healthcare. These are systems with very large member bases, tied to state of the art hospitals where the physicians are effectively on a salary and the procedures have a fixed cost. They have managed to keep their yearly increases to their subscribers well below the national averages while not sacrificing in any way the care they provide. More and more health insurance companies are building their own hospitals with the intent to mimick these organizations...it is, to be short, the only way they can/will survive in what is becoming a competitive marketplace. And the competition will be driven by Obamacare (government backed healthcare) and the industry itself. In due time you will see the cost for healthcare plateau and with any luck, begin to decline. Not unlike car insurance (which saw the rise in rates out of control back in the late 60's and into the 70's) as more competition came forward the cost for auto insurance stabilized and now people can shop around if they don't like the price they are paying. You will see the same thing happening in healthcare insurance...no doubt.
There is no need for government backed healthcare if the government would only allow more competition between health insurers. Obama Care is a scam.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:54 AM   #38
Vette_Newb
The Copy/Paste King

Member #6180

My Corvette(s)
1989 L98 Coupe

What ObamaCare was designed to do was consolidate the US Healthcare system down to 3-5 major companies. These companies will basically lose their ass and be in constant bailout situations resulting in those company's becoming either 2 or 3 GSE's or 1 big GSE. This will take the profit out of the private sector part of health insurance, and leave the government controlling all the money associated with healthcare.

Seemingly, it will result in single-payer. But in reality, it will result in bureaucrats determining care as opposed to doctors, doctor shortages (massive) and a serious reduction in the standard to become a doctor.

So, we will get to pay ridiculous amounts for healthcare, which would rank in the bottom 3rd worldwide, while politicians and bureaucrats will have a new avenue for milking money out of us. That is why the IRS was picked as the bulldog for the legislation.
Vette_Newb is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Fascism is a religion of the state. It assumes the organic unity of the body politic and longs for a national leader attuned to the will of the people. It is totalitarian in that it views everything as political and holds that any action by the state is justified to achieve the common good. It takes responsibility for all aspects of life, including our health and well-being, and seeks to impose uniformity of thought and action, whether by force or through regulation and social pressure. Everything, including economy and religion, must be aligned with its objectives.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:16 AM   #39
blckslvr79

Member #67576

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette_Newb View Post
What ObamaCare was designed to do was consolidate the US Healthcare system down to 3-5 major companies. These companies will basically lose their ass and be in constant bailout situations resulting in those company's becoming either 2 or 3 GSE's or 1 big GSE. This will take the profit out of the private sector part of health insurance, and leave the government controlling all the money associated with healthcare.

Seemingly, it will result in single-payer. But in reality, it will result in bureaucrats determining care as opposed to doctors, doctor shortages (massive) and a serious reduction in the standard to become a doctor.

So, we will get to pay ridiculous amounts for healthcare, which would rank in the bottom 3rd worldwide, while politicians and bureaucrats will have a new avenue for milking money out of us. That is why the IRS was picked as the bulldog for the legislation.

To speak such truths makes a person sound paranoid.

Obamacare "Affordable Health Care Act" does everything OPPOSITE of what it would take to reduce costs. It mandates additional expensive coverages. It eliminates most exclusions. It requires everyone to have coverage. It does not create additional competition. It does not open trade between states. It does not create any form of self responsibility.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:24 AM   #40
walleyfisher
DC Crew

Member #81755

My Corvette(s)
1974 coupe & 1984 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncherello View Post
Was I dreaming or did the President say that his health plan would lower costs?
He also promised cutting the deficit , I'm finding it harder and harder each day to figure what orifice Obama is talking out of
walleyfisher is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"If you're not on somebody's shit list, you're not doing anything worthwhile"
Old 12-14-2012, 07:25 AM   #41
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

Quote:
Interestingly enough this country's diversity and numbers are an asset not a negative. I ask you, what's more important, ones own convenience getting recommended tests quickly or a healthier population as a whole? Maybe if the majority of us had another paradigm, one of good health maybe, it could possibly be fewer instances of those kinds of issues of uninsured people getting emergency care or having to wait for those tests.
But no healthcare legislation can force that new paradigm. That is a personal lifestyle choice. I realize the left doesn't believe we should have any personal choices, but the founding fathers sure did, and so do I. What is with this concept that society is better if everybody lives longer? If people live longer, we just have to deliver more healthcare. My Dad is 89, nearly blind, has two bad hips and can barely walk. I see him every day, and I know for sure I don't want to live to be 89 if I can't do ANYTHING I want to do. People need to do what they have always done - die at a reasonable age and make room for the babies being born. And I don't say these things lightly since I am 62 years old. Brutal? Yep. But it's the natural order of things.
Texdentist is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 07:45 AM   #42
blckslvr79

Member #67576

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyfisher View Post
He also promised cutting the deficit , I'm finding it harder and harder each day to figure what orifice Obama is talking out of
I thought it was pretty obvious.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:30 PM   #43
c6vettedude
DC Crew

Member #120057

Quote:
Originally Posted by blckslvr79 View Post
To speak such truths makes a person sound paranoid.
I hear that a lot!
2006 Blk C6 vert w/A&A Supercharger kit w/V3 upgrade, Random Tech ceramic-coated LT headers w/hi-flo cats and Corsa Extreme exhaust. New dyno #'s 611rwhp/583tq
Old 12-16-2012, 01:02 PM   #44
blckslvr79

Member #67576

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by c6vettedude View Post
I hear that a lot!
Which one of your personas hears it a lot?
Old 12-16-2012, 09:16 PM   #45
c6vettedude
DC Crew

Member #120057

Quote:
Originally Posted by blckslvr79 View Post
Which one of your personas hears it a lot?
Try and get some sleep, ya wanka!

It's gonna be another 4 years before you get "your" country back!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.