Turn Off The News - Page 2 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums
 
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > News Room
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

News Room This section is for discussing current events.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2012, 10:23 PM   #16
c6vettedude
DC Crew
 
c6vettedude's Avatar
 
Posts: 511
Member #120057
Member since: Oct 2012

Thanks: 1
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87vette81big View Post
I hear You & understand your point(s).

There is more.
A lack of or NO Moral standards embedded in an individual some key point in their lives.
Very likely early childhood years.
c6vettedude is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2006 Blk C6 vert w/A&A Supercharger kit w/V3 upgrade, Random Tech ceramic-coated LT headers w/hi-flo cats and Corsa Extreme exhaust. New dyno #'s 611rwhp/583tq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-17-2012, 07:07 AM   #17
the machine
 
the machine's Avatar
 
Posts: 7,749
Member #67421
Member since: Nov 2007
Location: Glen Gardner NJ USA

My Corvette(s)
1966 Big Block Vert, 2008 Z06, 1959 fuelie, 1959 vert. Non vette cars ...2011 CTS-V wagon, 2008 Humr

Thanks: 17
Thanked 25 Times in 22 Posts
On friday after hearing the initial reports I intetionaly tuned out. I could not listen to this story both due to the young victims and just plain wearyness of these stories. I was basicaly forced to listen to a piece on 60 minutes last night and they said that just about evrything reported on Friday was wrong. So why is there always this rush by the media to report first regardless of the facts. If being first is all that matters why not just make up a story at the first sign of trouble over their police scanners. Hell they would probably be more accurate.
I completely agree with the jist of this thread. The media bears quite a bit of blame for these shootings. If these stories were not plastered all over the airwaves for days and weeks after the shootings would copycats ever actualy consider doing something this horendous. But we must also look in the mirror, because the media would not carry these stories if we did not watch. We must...all of us learn to look away. Maybe we could practice by just looking straight ahead at the next accident scene we come to. If we could just start to ignor these stories, maybe just maybe the media would not be in such a rush to use these stories as entertainment. Because sad as it may sound that is what they have become...entertainment, and these sick and twisted shooters are just the contestents in the sickest reality show of all.
I for one am done with this story and will only cry for those poor little kids and the six women who's job it was to protect them.
Have a Merry Christmas everyone and give yourselves the greatest present of all....turn off the news for the next few weeks...you'll be amazed at how much better the world will feel.
the machine is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Welcome to the Machine....
Old 12-17-2012, 08:49 AM   #18
Texdentist
 
Texdentist's Avatar
 
Posts: 17,225
Member #76657
Member since: Oct 2008
Location: Crowley, TX

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

Thanks: 26
Thanked 384 Times in 286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c6vettedude View Post
.... and many have said the same thing for well over a decade now, but with the "bottom-line" being the only thing that matter's in this country, this is the result. Sensationalism sells, and it sells big! Add to it the fact that everything "media-wise" run's 24/7, it's a recipe and a setup for the next disaster.

There's really so many factors and imho, has nothing to do with video games or movies, but mostly the breakdown in family, lax or bad parenting skills, prescription drug and alcohol use and abuse, and the fact that men in particular lack the necessary skills to solve problems and deal with adversity without violence. Even on many forums, I've seen many all of sudden want to escalate a debate, simply because they were "best'ed" in a debate.

Part of the parenting issues have to deal with both parents working and having strangers raise their children. Most children won't say it, but they tend to feel that the parents are choosing work and "stuff" (big house, 2 cars etc.) over them, which slowly instill's a sense of worthlessness and inadequacy. They often feel betrayed and lash out by bullying, stealing, drug and alcohol abuse and violence. Often times there's violence and abuse in the house as well, but that's always the family secret. Nothing will change unless the family unit is fixed.
The problems is that when a parent is dealt the hand of having a child with severe autism or asberger's syndrome, they are pretty much helpless. None of the normal parenting skills work, and there isn't much medical or psychiatric help. Basically, these parents are in survival mode every day from early childhood untill the children are eith out on their own, dead or institutionalized. Blaming this on bad parenting is finding fault in the wrong place. I do believe violient video games and movies have an impact on mentally ill people that can cause them to do horrific things. I don't think I'm for bans, but some kind of discussion needs to be had about the connection between these things and mass murder by young people.
Texdentist is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 09:11 AM   #19
Texdentist
 
Texdentist's Avatar
 
Posts: 17,225
Member #76657
Member since: Oct 2008
Location: Crowley, TX

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

Thanks: 26
Thanked 384 Times in 286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87vette81big View Post
I hear You & understand your point(s).

There is more.
A lack of or NO Moral standards embedded in an individual some key point in their lives.
Very likely early childhood years.
People with Asberger's Syndrome are born with faulty wiring. They cannont connect with other people or look them in the eye. They don't develop the normal empathy that most of us develop that keeps us from wanting to harm someone. And they can't develop an internal set of moral values. It has nothing to do with parenting. It has to do with faulty biology.
Texdentist is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 12:51 PM   #20
blckslvr79
 
blckslvr79's Avatar
 
Posts: 17,670
Member #67576
Member since: Nov 2007
Location: Schererville, IN

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Thanks: 537
Thanked 164 Times in 137 Posts
What we need is good old fashion asylums.

Lock the crazy bastards up. Stop treating everyone as if we're all the same.
blckslvr79 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
I'm taking care of my procrastination issues, just you wait and see.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:27 PM   #21
Bill Davies
DC Crew
 
Bill Davies's Avatar
 
Posts: 857
Member #118694
Member since: Apr 2012
Location: Colorado Springs, CO

My Corvette(s)
1976

Thanks: 14
Thanked 22 Times in 19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blckslvr79 View Post
What we need is good old fashion asylums.

Lock the crazy bastards up. Stop treating everyone as if we're all the same.

Sorry, but that's not in the budget.
Bill Davies is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 01:36 PM   #22
blckslvr79
 
blckslvr79's Avatar
 
Posts: 17,670
Member #67576
Member since: Nov 2007
Location: Schererville, IN

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Thanks: 537
Thanked 164 Times in 137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davies View Post
Sorry, but that's not in the budget.
Sure it is. Priorities.
blckslvr79 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
I'm taking care of my procrastination issues, just you wait and see.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:34 PM   #23
87vette81big
DC Crew
 
87vette81big's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,749
Member #117927
Member since: Nov 2011
Location: IL

My Corvette(s)
1987 Corvette Convertible

Thanks: 236
Thanked 95 Times in 87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texdentist View Post
People with Asberger's Syndrome are born with faulty wiring. They cannont connect with other people or look them in the eye. They don't develop the normal empathy that most of us develop that keeps us from wanting to harm someone. And they can't develop an internal set of moral values. It has nothing to do with parenting. It has to do with faulty biology.
Please don't get offended.
Don't wish to argue with You.

I have a stepson here at the house with Autism.
And a touch of Aspirger's too.

Yes, they dont think like You & I do.
He is having a tough time in highschool.
He is smart.
But not like normal kids being booksmart.
He has devolped a liking for politics & knows what the hell is going on 24/7/365 days a year.

Conner has a conscious. He knows right from wrong.
His real dad is a fucking douche bag.
Pays no child support.

Anyhow.
Not all are the same.
I noticed early on he has a love for video games.
And he is very good at them too.

He was on that chit Ridilen & other crap.
Wife took him off of all meds.
Kid was spacing out.
Best thing we have found to help him focus in school is send him off with a good breakfast, not an empty stomach.

Also he is addicted to sugar.

BR
87vette81big is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 09:45 PM   #24
c6vettedude
DC Crew
 
c6vettedude's Avatar
 
Posts: 511
Member #120057
Member since: Oct 2012

Thanks: 1
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texdentist View Post
The problems is that when a parent is dealt the hand of having a child with severe autism or asberger's syndrome, they are pretty much helpless. None of the normal parenting skills work, and there isn't much medical or psychiatric help. Basically, these parents are in survival mode every day from early childhood untill the children are eith out on their own, dead or institutionalized. Blaming this on bad parenting is finding fault in the wrong place. I do believe violient video games and movies have an impact on mentally ill people that can cause them to do horrific things. I don't think I'm for bans, but some kind of discussion needs to be had about the connection between these things and mass murder by young people.
I'm just speaking in general terms with regards to the slew of school shootings that didn't involve a legit mentall ill kid. As I pointed out in another post, my first question would be, why have guns in the house that aren't secured. In fact, with kids in the house, a lock and key is probably not the best security, since the kid will probably be able to steal the key and make copies. I'd opt for some kind of "finger" or dial combination lock.
c6vettedude is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2006 Blk C6 vert w/A&A Supercharger kit w/V3 upgrade, Random Tech ceramic-coated LT headers w/hi-flo cats and Corsa Extreme exhaust. New dyno #'s 611rwhp/583tq
Old 12-17-2012, 09:47 PM   #25
c6vettedude
DC Crew
 
c6vettedude's Avatar
 
Posts: 511
Member #120057
Member since: Oct 2012

Thanks: 1
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87vette81big View Post
Please don't get offended.
Don't wish to argue with You.

I have a stepson here at the house with Autism.
And a touch of Aspirger's too.

Yes, they dont think like You & I do.
He is having a tough time in highschool.
He is smart.
But not like normal kids being booksmart.
He has devolped a liking for politics & knows what the hell is going on 24/7/365 days a year.

Conner has a conscious. He knows right from wrong.
His real dad is a fucking douche bag.
Pays no child support.

Anyhow.
Not all are the same.
I noticed early on he has a love for video games.
And he is very good at them too.

He was on that chit Ridilen & other crap.
Wife took him off of all meds.
Kid was spacing out.
Best thing we have found to help him focus in school is send him off with a good breakfast, not an empty stomach.

Also he is addicted to sugar.

BR
Good point! I think it's important to put every kid under the same blanket, as I'm sure the extent of the disability is different in each individual.
c6vettedude is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2006 Blk C6 vert w/A&A Supercharger kit w/V3 upgrade, Random Tech ceramic-coated LT headers w/hi-flo cats and Corsa Extreme exhaust. New dyno #'s 611rwhp/583tq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:43 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
2003-2011, DigitalCorvettes.com - All Rights Reserved