Progression ..... - Page 2 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C5 Corvette Forums > C5 Corvette - General Discussion
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C5 Corvette - General Discussion General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 12-19-2012, 06:58 PM   #16
Fly03Z06

Member #68577

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcoreABN View Post
so that's a vacuum gauge inline with the plumbing for it....never thought of that.
Yes
...........on the Can's return discharge, so fairly easy to check for any bypass oil residue

Last edited by Fly03Z06; 12-19-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Fly03Z06 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 07:01 PM   #17
HardcoreABN
DC Crew

Member #36463

My Corvette(s)
2000 Torch Red/Red Z51 coupe

wouldn't the top be the discharge line because it would have the filter separating the oil from the filtered air?
HardcoreABN is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
ASE Certified Automotive Repair Technician in: Suspension and Steering, Brakes, Electrical/Electronic Systems, and Heating and Air Conditioning

402 LS2- Callies Compstar crank/rods, Wiesco pistons, 11.5:1 c/r, Custom 235/250 .621/.595 115+4cam from Martin @ Tick, CNC LS3 heads, Edelbrock Victor water pump, Melling oil pump, Halltech air intake, LS7 MAF, Jet-Hot coated LG long tube headers, Corsa Tigershark exhaust, Hotchkis sway bars, Monster level 3 clutch, return style fuel system, 2 stage nitrous plate system
Old 12-19-2012, 07:02 PM   #18
The Dude
DC Crew

Member #120318

My Corvette(s)
In limbo....

Quote:
I will see if I can work out a drawing of it's operation.

next time you do some spirited driving, pop your throttle body off and run your finger inside the intake. If there is any oil on your finger you will benefit from having a catch can. On all the LSX engines, GM was never quite able to solve the issue of the PCV system sucking up oil vapor and sending it to the intake to be recycled back into the engine. Excessive oil in the combustion chamber can cause numerous problems, such as a continuous lean condition (the oil will make the o2 sensor think it is running rich and lean the mixture out).

What the catch can does, is it allows the oil vapor (that is in the air being vented) to condense and collect in the can instead of the intake manifold and combustion chambers.

I understand exactly! Crank case gases under high rpms force more crank case gases through the PCV (primary crank ventilation) through the intak to be recurculated and burnt if it can. This is even more prevalent in high mileage vehicles like mine where the compression rings may let more crank case gases through. That gas has certain amounts of oil in it that when it reaches the intake and cooler air and pockets will form actual oil puddles in the intake ( I spoke about my own having too much in the bottom in another thread) and then that can cause not only the problems that you spoke about with the sensors but also a problem when it gets to a certain level and the engine gulps a bit down. I have seen some real damage done from this (on a diesel engine) as oil does not compress well.

I did not know this was a concern with the LS1 and I will definately be getiing me a set up to bleed it off.

Thanks for the heads up!

Last edited by The Dude; 12-26-2012 at 02:04 PM.
The Dude is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Rock on!
No...I can't spell...I'm a RedNeck!
Old 12-19-2012, 07:04 PM   #19
HardcoreABN
DC Crew

Member #36463

My Corvette(s)

the easiest thing to do would be to convert to a LS2 or LS6 PCV system. They are an upgrade over the LS1 even without the additional venting in the LS2 block. It also removes a few hoses as well, cleaning up the engine bay some. I will take a pic of the LS2 system in my car and post it up.
ASE Certified Automotive Repair Technician in: Suspension and Steering, Brakes, Electrical/Electronic Systems, and Heating and Air Conditioning

402 LS2- Callies Compstar crank/rods, Wiesco pistons, 11.5:1 c/r, Custom 235/250 .621/.595 115+4cam from Martin @ Tick, CNC LS3 heads, Edelbrock Victor water pump, Melling oil pump, Halltech air intake, LS7 MAF, Jet-Hot coated LG long tube headers, Corsa Tigershark exhaust, Hotchkis sway bars, Monster level 3 clutch, return style fuel system, 2 stage nitrous plate system
Old 12-19-2012, 08:05 PM   #20
Fly03Z06

Member #68577

Quote:
wouldn't the top be the discharge line because it would have the filter separating the oil from the filtered air?
No, not on the CCA Can configuration. The "vertical" top supply, internal billet assembly drops below the "horizontal" return discharge.

My plumbing arrangement is on a 03 LS6 engine/manifold.

Last edited by Fly03Z06; 12-19-2012 at 10:38 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:21 PM   #21
Fly03Z06

Member #68577

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5 Dude View Post
I understand exactly!
...............I have seen some real damage done from this as oil does not compress well.

.............. I will definately be getiing me a set up to bleed it off.

Thanks for the heads up!

Just my .02, this one doesn't work quite as well.......

Old 12-19-2012, 08:32 PM   #22
The Dude
DC Crew

Member #120318

My Corvette(s)
In limbo....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly03Z06 View Post

Just my .02, this one doesn't work quite as well.......

Don't worry! You won't see any corn cobs under my hood! Maybe on my still!

Rock on!
Old 12-20-2012, 12:09 AM   #23
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)
2001 Navy Blue Metallic Coupe

Garage
The first time that I removed my intake, I noticed a small amount of oil inside it. I thought that was odd but I don't know what flows where so I didn't question it.
Junkman2008 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."
Old 12-20-2012, 04:30 AM   #24
HardcoreABN
DC Crew

Member #36463

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
The first time that I removed my intake, I noticed a small amount of oil inside it. I thought that was odd but I don't know what flows where so I didn't question it.
It is coming from the PCV system. It happens with all PCV systems with hard driving, but the LSX system scavenges crankcase pressure better than most which means more oil vapor being vented as well. GM discovered this, that is why they kept redesigning the PCV system.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:53 AM   #25
The Dude
DC Crew

Member #120318

My Corvette(s)
In limbo....

Also as an engine gets more miles on it and the compression rings lose some of thier holding power more and more of the compression gases make it past them into the crank case. You have to vent that gas some where or you will eventually blow the oil seals and gaskets out or just force the oil past them. THis can also happen if the PCV valve gets gummed up and soesn't do what its supposed to.

A good PCV system will keep that to a minimum...

My intake has probably never came off and had 140,000 miles of driving on it with I'm sure some spirited driving here and there so I am hoping that is why I found what I believe to be too much oil in the bottom of the intake.

I also think its a little bit of a design flaw in the intake as when I am looking at it, it has a bend that runs down and would create a bole in the middle of the intake. Thats bad because thats what lets the intake pool the oil and eventually get that gulp that blows head gaskets or maybe even worse!

After this thread I think people will know more about the PCV system and crank case gases than they will care to know about.
Rock on!
Old 12-20-2012, 09:03 AM   #26
HardcoreABN
DC Crew

Member #36463

My Corvette(s)

There is a TSB about excessive oil consumption with mention of it in the intake manifold, but I can't find the actual TSB

Old 12-20-2012, 05:21 PM   #27
The Dude
DC Crew

Member #120318

My Corvette(s)
In limbo....

Mother Sons Of Son oF a GUN!

Ok. So I am thinking after reading some posts about the radiator and the condensor getting clogged I should pull the intake covers and check it out.

This is what I find!

So if you havn't checked yours in awhile, you may want to!

This is some serious blockage!

But at least I can get it cleaned up while I'm getting it all cleaned up!
Rock on!
Old 12-20-2012, 05:33 PM   #28
Fly03Z06

Member #68577

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5 Dude View Post
Ok. So I am thinking after reading some posts about the radiator and the condensor getting clogged I should pull the intake covers and check it out.

This is some serious blockage!

.........Running alittle Ht?

That's why I used the intake grille insert to prevent leaves and debris from entering. My Hurricane intake on a lowered Z works better than a Dyson vacuum on a tile floor.

When you live in the woods, just driving down the driveway in the Fall resulted in a plugged condenser and radiator.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:43 PM   #29
The Dude
DC Crew

Member #120318

My Corvette(s)
In limbo....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly03Z06 View Post
.........Running alittle Ht?

My Hurricane intake on a lowered Z works better than a Dyson vacuum on a tile floor.

:rol ling:

I'm not sure if mine is even lowered. I know it is lower than the new C6s and I can't get my floor jack under it.

Rock on!
Old 12-20-2012, 05:43 PM   #30
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)
2001 Navy Blue Metallic Coupe

Garage
Make sure that you blow the dirt back OUT of the radiator and condenser, not further in. Use air before water but make sure you don't use TOO MUCH PRESSURE. You can bend the fins if you do and that would really screw things up.

After cleaning, you need to get one of these:

Junkman2008 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.