The gun control battle is winding up. - Page 17 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > News Room
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

News Room This section is for discussing current events.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com
Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 04:01 AM   #241
walleyfisher
DC Crew

Member #81755

My Corvette(s)
1974 coupe & 1984 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncherello View Post
Just for the record, I have always thought assault weapons should stay with the military. I didn't just form this opinion last Friday. As I said earlier, the Supreme Court has said many times that the right to bear arms does not mean an unregulated right.
Then shouuld Race cars only be owed by race car drivers?

I haven't found the stat but if somebody was to look, I am willing to bet Assault rifles do not have the highest murder rate. But our media likes to sensanalize every time one happens. Just look a Chicago, where's the outrage to dozens of murders each weekend.....I guess it dosent fit the mold as news now a days, there is maximun regulations already in place and it still doesn't stop the killing.

Kind of hard to un-invent the gun when it already exsists
walleyfisher is offline   Quick reply to this message
"If you're not on somebody's shit list, you're not doing anything worthwhile"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 04:56 AM   #242
Matt383
DC Crew

Member #352
Location: 2003 Points Champ Great Lakes Corvette Challange;2006, 2007,2008 & 2010 class winner NMCA True Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyfisher View Post
Then shouuld Race cars only be owed by race car drivers?

I haven't found the stat but if somebody was to look, I am willing to bet Assault rifles do not have the highest murder rate. But our media likes to sensanalize every time one happens. Just look a Chicago, where's the outrage to dozens of murders each weekend.....I guess it dosent fit the mold as news now a days, there is maximun regulations already in place and it still doesn't stop the killing.

Kind of hard to un-invent the gun when it already exsists

Kinda what I was sayin about 200 posts ago.

On any given weekend there are 27 shootings in Chicago.
On a warm summer night that can happen in a few minutes.
There are gangs shooting gangs. what is really pissafying is that bystanders, innocents, mistaken identity make up some of those numbers.

On another note, I must say that this particular thread has kept my interest with every post. There have been such well thought out responses and replies, (a few no so much) on both sides.
I just don't have the eloquence nor the time to contribute but the guys from Illinois, Wisconsin and Indiana are doing a great job
Matt383 is offline   Quick reply to this message
I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people...I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:46 AM   #243
monsolo2
DC Crew

Member #35050

My Corvette(s)
Soon... very soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette_Newb View Post
In this particular case.. the mother and at least one doctor knew the kid was a nutcase. So, instead of worrying about infringing upon my rights, why not worry about putting a little responsibility, on those responsible for this kid having access to weapons while being a known nutcase.

It's a horrible tragedy, no doubt. But would it really be any less of a horrible tragedy if he had done like the guy in China and used a knife? Or if he had used a shotgun?

This tragedy is being politicized for one reason.. and it's pretty obvious what that is and why. We kill quite a few kids with drone strikes.. not a tragedy? Many more kids are killed by drunks.. not tragedy's?

Just put a little common sense into the equation..

You are SPOT ON!! When all the gun control (sorry, gun limitation ) dingbats can prove to me that what the left is doing is more than simple political maneuvering, then I'll pony up to the table and have a meaningful discussion. But when way more children die every year in automobile accidents, from faulty medications and failed operations at hospitals, and from simply not having any food all across the globe, left-wingers have a LOT more explaining to do!

Instead, they use the awful killing of poor innocent children to further their own warped sense of what society should be here in the US. All of you arguing the Second Amendment... get a freakin' clue!! None of this is about the 2A!! It's about taking advantage of an opportunity to disarm the public! Maybe it won't happen outright but the left will start with "assault rifles" and go from there.
monsolo2 is offline   Quick reply to this message
You can only have it one way, America... individual freedom or big government. Which is it going to be?
The Following User Says Thank You to monsolo2 For This Useful Post:
blckslvr79 (12-20-2012)
Old 12-20-2012, 06:34 AM   #244
c6vettedude
DC Crew

Member #120057

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt383 View Post
There have been such well thought out responses and replies on both sides.
Though I'll stay away from the 2a argument, I think that's a moot point.

As for gun control itself, I don't think that you can compare deaths by auto's and such to gun control, because those deaths are purely accidental... much different than someone picking up a gun and intentionally inflicting bodily harm and death.

As for the type of firearms we should be able to own, like in any civilized nation there are limits. Limiting small arms and magazine capacities imho is abuse of govt. authority. If military "application" is the litmus test for what we can and can't own, then how far will they go? Afterall, the M1911 was basically designed for Military use in Spain, because the handguns they had lacked power. By that rationale, they could eventually step up and take all semi-automatic pistols, and claim that a 6 round revolver is all that we need. Govt's by nature grow, and as the govt get's bigger, the citizen get smaller,...there's no way around that.

In past debates, it was always proven that pistols are used in the overwhelming majority of homicides. They are smaller and easier to conceal than a shotgun or rifle.

Talk to any old Polish people if you know any, and ask them about how the communist crack down went. They were first allowed to own weapons, but had to register them first. Once the communist cracked down, the police knew where all the guns were and confiscated ALL of them. After the revolution, the old folks were asked, how and why did it happen? The first thing they all said, was that "we didn't think the govt had the power to do what they did". The way I see it, we can learn from history, or ignore it.

Also, if the citizens can't have ak's and such, then why in the hell do the police and govt org's need full-auto weapons? Afterall, how many criminals do they come across with full-auto weapons? Nowadays, it's sometimes hard to tell the criminal from the LEO... all dressed in black, ski masks and tactical-geared down. Like any and all govt's, they want the upper-hand. If you're out-gunned, it's harder to fight back...though Vietnam and the Middle East are good lessons for those that think you need fighter planes and cruise missles to win a war. Also, less firepower, means less negotiating power.

Once you're unarmed, there's is NOTHING you can do in the face of tyranny.
c6vettedude is offline   Quick reply to this message
2006 Blk C6 vert w/A&A Supercharger kit w/V3 upgrade, Random Tech ceramic-coated LT headers w/hi-flo cats and Corsa Extreme exhaust. New dyno #'s 611rwhp/583tq
The Following User Says Thank You to c6vettedude For This Useful Post:
blckslvr79 (12-20-2012)
Old 12-20-2012, 06:41 AM   #245
XQIZT
You've been pimped!!

Member #80197

My Corvette(s)
1985 Z51, 1977 custom

Nevermind...it was covered ad nauseum. And after reading this whole thing...I've got nothing to say that hasn't been said already.
XQIZT is offline   Quick reply to this message
"Alexa" - 1985 Z51 - In memory of the last Corvette Dad owned.

"Desiree" - 1977 - Wife's car, with an attitude problem

Click here for more info about our cars and autocrossing and other Corvette stuff.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:50 AM   #246
blckslvr79

Member #67576

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Can anyone explain to me why Obama would continue down the liberal road of banning arms here in the states to honest citizens, while arming terrorists and drug cartels? If overthrowing governments and keeping leadership in check is not the primary purpose of the Second Amendment, then why do all these bad guys he's arming need the same guns that he wants to take away from his citizens???

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-benghazigate/

What we do know is that the New York Times — one of the most slavishly pro-Obama publications in the country — reported in an Oct. 14 article, “Most of the arms shipped at the behest of Saudi Arabia and Qatar to supply Syrian rebel groups fighting the government of Bashar Assad are going to hard-line Islamic jihadists, and not the more secular opposition groups that the West wants to bolster.”

In short, it seems President Obama has been engaged in gun-walking on a massive scale. The effect has been to equip America’s enemies to wage jihad not only against regimes it once claimed were our friends, but inevitably against us and our allies as well. That would explain his administration’s desperate and now failing bid to mislead the voters through the serial deflections of Benghazigate

http://www.forbes.com/sites/realspin...mas-watergate/

In a rash attempt to deflect attention away from himself and his own irresponsibility, Holder let Congress know that the Obama administration is still working toward the day when it can reinstate former President Bill Clinton’s so-called “assault weapons” ban. According to Holder:

This administration has consistently favored the reinstitution of the assault weapons ban. It is something that we think was useful in the past with regard to the reduction that we’ve seen in crime, and certainly would have a positive impact on our relationship and the crime situation in Mexico

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/02/08/ho...#ixzz2FbFsSVyX
blckslvr79 is offline   Quick reply to this message
I'm taking care of my procrastination issues, just you wait and see.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:23 AM   #247
c6vettedude
DC Crew

Member #120057

Quote:
Originally Posted by blckslvr79 View Post
while arming terrorists and drug cartels?
I think it's safe to say that most, American's are aware that as a country, we've been doing this for a very, very long time. I have plenty of info on the Bush family and ther drug ties and dealings, but don't want to make this a Bush/BO debate.
c6vettedude is offline   Quick reply to this message
2006 Blk C6 vert w/A&A Supercharger kit w/V3 upgrade, Random Tech ceramic-coated LT headers w/hi-flo cats and Corsa Extreme exhaust. New dyno #'s 611rwhp/583tq
Old 12-20-2012, 07:37 AM   #248
XQIZT
You've been pimped!!

Member #80197

My Corvette(s)
1985 Z51, 1977 custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by c6vettedude View Post
I think it's safe to say that most, American's are aware that as a country, we've been doing this for a very, very long time. I have plenty of info on the Bush family and ther drug ties and dealings, but don't want to make this a Bush/BO debate.
True...but we also spend an inordinate amount attempting to keep certain weapons out of the hands of certain people as well. But if "people kill people"...and not "weapons kill people"...why are we so concerned with a nuclear armed Iran...etc?

Click here for more info about our cars and autocrossing and other Corvette stuff.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:57 AM   #249
grumpyvette
DC Pit Crew

Member #1106

My Corvette(s)
retired engineer, engine builder, racer 1985.1992.1996 cpes

HERES CHINAS ANSWER TO ANY POLITICAL DISCUSSION NOT FOLLOWING PARTY LINES

LIBERALS CONFRONTED WITH REALITY

grumpyvette is online now   Quick reply to this message
" IF YOU CAN,T SMOKE THE TIRES AT WILL,FROM A 60 MPH ROLLING START YOUR ENGINE NEEDS MORE WORK!!"
Old 12-20-2012, 11:32 AM   #250
blckslvr79

Member #67576

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by c6vettedude View Post
Nice Leftist move.

Bush wasn't trying to take away our gun Rights. There is no comparison. He actually reversed Clintons gun laws.

Obama, on the other hand, believes in strong gun control, limited gun ownership, elimination of auto rifles, and getting existing guns out of the publics hands....Yet he's arming Muslims in the middle east and our enemies to fight their own governments. Explain that.
blckslvr79 is offline   Quick reply to this message
I'm taking care of my procrastination issues, just you wait and see.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:33 PM   #251
Poncherello
Grey Squirrel

Member #5040

My Corvette(s)
Looking

They're taking away my gun rights, they're taking away my gun rights.....

The second ammendment in no way, shape, or form allows for the unregulated ownership of firearms. If that was the case everyone here would be screaming for the repeal of the NFA of 1934, which targeted so called "gangster" guns, and the repeal of the NFA of 1968 which outlawed "automatic weapons" sawed off rifles, and sawed off shotguns. Should anyone who wants one be allowed to own a fully automatic Bushmaster? Should anyone who wants to be allowed to carry a concealed sawed off shotgun? Regulation of firearm ownership has been taking place for more than 100 years and in that time the government has never come knocking at anyone's door demanding they surrender their legally possessed guns.
Poncherello is online now   Quick reply to this message
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-20-2012, 12:49 PM   #252
Vette_Newb
The Copy/Paste King

Member #6180

My Corvette(s)
1989 L98 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncherello View Post
They're taking away my gun rights, they're taking away my gun rights.....

The second ammendment in no way, shape, or form allows for the unregulated ownership of firearms. If that was the case everyone here would be screaming for the repeal of the NFA of 1934, which targeted so called "gangster" guns, and the repeal of the NFA of 1968 which outlawed "automatic weapons" sawed off rifles, and sawed off shotguns. Should anyone who wants one be allowed to own a fully automatic Bushmaster? Should anyone who wants to be allowed to carry a concealed sawed off shotgun? Regulation of firearm ownership has been taking place for more than 100 years and in that time the government has never come knocking at anyone's door demanding they surrender their legally possessed guns.
The only people who should not be allowed to own them are criminals. In most cases, the people who own/use them are criminals.

Bad people do bad shit, regardless the tool. Look at the big city's who wear their gun control like a badge of honor. All they have done is created Target Rich Environments that leave their citizenry at the mercy of those who don't follow the rules. How is that gun control working out for Mexico? The US government arms their criminals.. and you want to let them determine what is ok for me to own? Your a nutcase if you think the poeple at the heart of the most dangerous government in history should be trusted enough to tell you what to/not to do in your private life.
Vette_Newb is online now   Quick reply to this message
Fascism is a religion of the state. It assumes the organic unity of the body politic and longs for a national leader attuned to the will of the people. It is totalitarian in that it views everything as political and holds that any action by the state is justified to achieve the common good. It takes responsibility for all aspects of life, including our health and well-being, and seeks to impose uniformity of thought and action, whether by force or through regulation and social pressure. Everything, including economy and religion, must be aligned with its objectives.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:51 PM   #253
XQIZT
You've been pimped!!

Member #80197

My Corvette(s)
1985 Z51, 1977 custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette_Newb View Post
Your a nutcase if you think the poeple at the heart of the most dangerous government in history should be trusted enough to tell you what to/not to do in your private life.
I'll be happy to see you bring this exact statement into other debates on other subjects.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:55 PM   #254
Poncherello
Grey Squirrel

Member #5040

My Corvette(s)
Looking

Poncherello is online now   Quick reply to this message
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-20-2012, 01:00 PM   #255
Vette_Newb
The Copy/Paste King

Member #6180

My Corvette(s)
1989 L98 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by XQIZT View Post
I'll be happy to see you bring this exact statement into other debates on other subjects.
That statement is my sentiments exactly when it comes to government. You know this as well as anyone here.
Vette_Newb is online now   Quick reply to this message
Fascism is a religion of the state. It assumes the organic unity of the body politic and longs for a national leader attuned to the will of the people. It is totalitarian in that it views everything as political and holds that any action by the state is justified to achieve the common good. It takes responsibility for all aspects of life, including our health and well-being, and seeks to impose uniformity of thought and action, whether by force or through regulation and social pressure. Everything, including economy and religion, must be aligned with its objectives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.