Let's talk about the AR-15 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > News Room
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

News Room This section is for discussing current events.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 12-20-2012, 07:43 AM   #1
monsolo2
DC Crew

Member #35050

My Corvette(s)
Soon... very soon!

Let's talk about the AR-15

Let's get right down to the REAL meat of the issue! Let's talk about the AR-15 and the banning of such. I own two AR-15's and love them both. I'll admit that I've considered selling them the last few days BUT, when I took them out of my safe last night to take pics of them in order to list them, I just couldn't bring myself to do it. So, I'd like to have a real discussion about this gun... I own a long-range target .223 and a short carbine .223. I also have 30-round mags and 20-round mags. I enjoy shooting both and love the sport of shooting in general. I don't think these guns get a fair shake in the media... they are constantly being referred to as "machine guns" and "assualt rifles", which they are technically neither. I'm also going to state that I think, in order to own ANY gun, the potential owner MUST go through training AND prove that they own a safe. I think that's prudent and fair for me to have the right to own any firearm I wish. Had the mother of Adam Lanza had her guns in a safe, would that have gone a long way toward preventing this massacre? I think so...

So, let's discuss this "evil gun"!!
monsolo2 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
You can only have it one way, America... individual freedom or big government. Which is it going to be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 08:18 AM   #2
monsolo2
DC Crew

Member #35050

My Corvette(s)
Soon... very soon!

Wow!!

Nobody wants to discuss the gun itself and how it's been vilified??

Come one... tell me why I shouldn't own an AR and/or why I don't need high-capacity mags!
monsolo2 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
You can only have it one way, America... individual freedom or big government. Which is it going to be?
Old 12-20-2012, 08:29 AM   #3
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

I think it's pretty much been discussed to death. No minds are changing. A person either believes than we have a right to any and all weapons or they believe that reasonable limitations are constitutional. Then the arguments are over what is reasonable. I don't know what else can be said that hasn't already been said 10 times.
Texdentist is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 08:30 AM   #4
XQIZT
You've been pimped!!

Member #80197

My Corvette(s)
1985 Z51, 1977 custom

Why is the gun vilified in the media? Uh....cuz it's the media. The media doesn't, nor does the casual news consumer, want to get bogged down in all the technical definitions of "machine guns," "assault weapons", etc. MOST people just put their faith in the people writing new laws to know WTF they're talking about. (I'm not saying that the lawmakers DO know, I'm just saying that's the faith of the people).

As far as "large capacity" magazines, first, we'd have to define "large." Not my job.

But lemme ask this, seriously: You say you love the sport of going shooting, GREAT No issue there. But would you enjoy it LESS if you only could crack off 10...or 5 rounds at a time? (I'm not saying 10 or 5 is where i would change it to, but I'm just picking numbers less than 20 and 30).
XQIZT is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Alexa" - 1985 Z51 - In memory of the last Corvette Dad owned.

"Desiree" - 1977 - Wife's car, with an attitude problem

Click here for more info about our cars and autocrossing and other Corvette stuff.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:36 AM   #5
HardcoreABN
DC Crew

Member #36463

My Corvette(s)
2000 Torch Red/Red Z51 coupe

but what difference does it make if the magazine holds 5, 10, 20, 30, or more? If I am going on a shooting spree it would take me all of MAYBE 2-3 seconds to change magazines. Hell, it would probably be less since I wouldn't care if I lose the empty magazine.

Yet again, we are focusing on a tool rather than the person using said tool. More people are killed with baseball bats each year than firearms, per the FBI. Should we ban baseball bats? More people are killed by alcohol each year than in 5 years with firearms, should we ban alcohol?
HardcoreABN is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
ASE Certified Automotive Repair Technician in: Suspension and Steering, Brakes, Electrical/Electronic Systems, and Heating and Air Conditioning

402 LS2- Callies Compstar crank/rods, Wiesco pistons, 11.5:1 c/r, Custom 235/250 .621/.595 115+4cam from Martin @ Tick, CNC LS3 heads, Edelbrock Victor water pump, Melling oil pump, Halltech air intake, LS7 MAF, Jet-Hot coated LG long tube headers, Corsa Tigershark exhaust, Hotchkis sway bars, Monster level 3 clutch, return style fuel system, 2 stage nitrous plate system
Old 12-20-2012, 08:42 AM   #6
XQIZT
You've been pimped!!

Member #80197

My Corvette(s)
1985 Z51, 1977 custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcoreABN View Post
but what difference does it make if the magazine holds 5, 10, 20, 30, or more? If I am going on a shooting spree it would take me all of MAYBE 2-3 seconds to change magazines. Hell, it would probably be less since I wouldn't care if I lose the empty magazine.

Yet again, we are focusing on a tool rather than the person using said tool. More people are killed with baseball bats each year than firearms, per the FBI. Should we ban baseball bats? More people are killed by alcohol each year than in 5 years with firearms, should we ban alcohol?
You're trained...most aren't. And you have to at
least admit that carrying one 30 round is far easier than carrying six 5 rounds.

I'm not saying this is the only solution and I'm not saying that there aren't creative counter points to what I am saying. Vehicle fatalities are far higher than any type of shooting, and I'm not about to suggest we ban automobiles.

Is your suggestion we sit around and do nothing but hope that it doesn't happen again?

Click here for more info about our cars and autocrossing and other Corvette stuff.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:44 AM   #7
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcoreABN View Post
More people are killed with baseball bats each year than firearms, per the FBI. Should we ban baseball bats?
Gotta say, I have my doubts about that stat.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:46 AM   #8
XQIZT
You've been pimped!!

Member #80197

My Corvette(s)
1985 Z51, 1977 custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texdentist View Post
Gotta say, I have my doubts about that stat.
Even if true, when was the last time you heard of 20+ people all being killed in a matter of minutes with a baseball bat?

Old 12-20-2012, 08:52 AM   #9
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)

The snopes analysis of guns vs. baseball bat deaths. Busted!

http://http://www.snopes.com/politic...seballbats.asp
Old 12-20-2012, 09:01 AM   #10
MEATHEAD1

Member #48881

My Corvette(s)
ZO6 07

Saying AR-15 is like saying pitbull. Its the same who is the owner is how its handle, simply put are we
MEATHEAD1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
YES YOU CAN DRIVE IT,,,,JUST MAKE THE FIRST PAYMENT.

I'M a Post Whore <------its official now.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:05 AM   #11
XQIZT
You've been pimped!!

Member #80197

My Corvette(s)
1985 Z51, 1977 custom

To go with the dog thing...yes...it's not the animal per se...its the owner. And there will always be bad owners. BUT, if the same bad owner could not train a pit bull, and instead had to train shit-zu's, the possibility of a mauling is far less. Its not a matter of an all out ban of anything...its a matter of scale.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:11 AM   #12
HardcoreABN
DC Crew

Member #36463

My Corvette(s)
2000 Torch Red/Red Z51 coupe

A major part of the problem is a lack of education and fear when it comes to firearms. They have been vilified to the point where people are indoctrinated from birth to believe that firearms are an evil, dangerous thing that needs to be outlawed.

Here are the causes as I see them:
- lack of enforcement of existing laws for committing crimes (not gun control laws)
- lack of education about firearms
- lack of mental health care (I am not saying that everyone needs evaluations to purchase/own)
- Gun Free Zones. A "gun-free" zone does not create a bubble where evil will not enter. Rather, it makes that zone a much easier target.
- Bullshit lawsuits from groups like the ACLU that insist someone must have committed a crime even if it is highly likely said person will.
- Society's moral decay. Do I need to explain that one?

Basically, it can be summed up like this. In a society where everything is given and not earned, winning is shunned, everyone gets a trophy, and harsh words are treated as physical attacks this is what is going to happen. When prisoners/criminals have more rights than their victims and the general public and we are afraid to go "hey, wtf is wrong with you" there is a problem. The problem is we have lost ourselves as a society in a quest to make everything and everyone equal and fair. We have gotten rid of personal responsibility and anything that might hurt someone's feelings. Until we rediscover ourselves as a nation and work towards making our nation strong (physically, mentally) this is going to keep happening. We are just to soft and weak as a society for this to not happen.
HardcoreABN is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
ASE Certified Automotive Repair Technician in: Suspension and Steering, Brakes, Electrical/Electronic Systems, and Heating and Air Conditioning

402 LS2- Callies Compstar crank/rods, Wiesco pistons, 11.5:1 c/r, Custom 235/250 .621/.595 115+4cam from Martin @ Tick, CNC LS3 heads, Edelbrock Victor water pump, Melling oil pump, Halltech air intake, LS7 MAF, Jet-Hot coated LG long tube headers, Corsa Tigershark exhaust, Hotchkis sway bars, Monster level 3 clutch, return style fuel system, 2 stage nitrous plate system
The Following User Says Thank You to HardcoreABN For This Useful Post:
cagey59 (12-20-2012)
Old 12-20-2012, 09:13 AM   #13
MEATHEAD1

Member #48881

My Corvette(s)
ZO6 07

Quote:
Originally Posted by XQIZT View Post
To go with the dog thing...yes...it's not the animal per se...its the owner. And there will always be bad owners. BUT, if the same bad owner could not train a pit bull, and instead had to train shit-zu's, the possibility of a mauling is far less. Its not a matter of an all out ban of anything...its a matter of scale.
True on the scale part I just want my scale to be even.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:16 AM   #14
XQIZT
You've been pimped!!

Member #80197

My Corvette(s)
1985 Z51, 1977 custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEATHEAD1 View Post
True on the scale part I just want my scale to be even.
OK....even to what?

Old 12-20-2012, 09:34 AM   #15
MEATHEAD1

Member #48881

My Corvette(s)
ZO6 07

Quote:
Originally Posted by XQIZT View Post
OK....even to what?
OHHH let me apologize my scale against the bad person.
I believe that a person, who has hate and evil that thinks that they can use weapon against me or my family, I should be able to defend with same or a better weapon than they have.
Like I said I like the scales to be even.

The Following User Says Thank You to MEATHEAD1 For This Useful Post:
blckslvr79 (12-20-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.