Way to go NRA!!! - Page 2 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > News Room
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

News Room This section is for discussing current events.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 12-21-2012, 08:49 PM   #16
rottnrog
DC Crew

Member #21788

My Corvette(s)
2001 Coupe- Sold now drive Cadillac CTS-V (4 door Vette)

Following the example set by the NRA, Alcoholics Anonymous will now suggest more whiskey to cure alcoholism...

rottnrog is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Why is it easier to be a conservative than a liberal? Because it is easier to give a man the finger than a helping hand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2012, 10:26 PM   #17
87vette81big
DC Crew

Member #117927

My Corvette(s)
1987 Corvette Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyvette View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xcwbvt67dbg

that GUARDIAN PROGRAM, where they give several teachers in each school , who already have a concealed carry license and a desire to help protect the schools, some extra training and permission to carry, and the option to do so, if they choose too, could and probably should be the way to go.
its both very cost effective and doesn,t allow the potential perpetrators of violence to isolate or target a specific target like a uniformed cop on the schools premiss might present to allow the lunatics, that want to do these acts , after disposing of a know and easily located barrier to completing the mass shooting, the simple fact that theres potentially several people on each campus over an above any uniformed protection presents a huge problem for these nut cases, rather like a mine field, they don,t know where or when they will be shot or by whom, but they would have a far larger deterrent than in a current ,GUN FREE ZONE where they are sure the potential victims, can,t offer effective resistance.
I think its a Great Idea Grumpy.
The best instructors would Veteran Police Officers, Retired Ex US Marines, & Navy Seals.
With proper training, 1 shot to take out the offender so another Sandy Point, CT kindergarden massacre never takes place again.
Televise & place on U-tube a picture or video of a nutjob breaking his way in & armed & intent to kill, Shot by a trained teacher, bullet between his eyes dead would be killer.
All nutjobs won't try again, and blow their brains out 1st instead.
Our children & grandchildren stay safe while in school.

87vette81big is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 10:32 PM   #18
BJC99Hardtop
DC Crew

Member #16712

My Corvette(s)
2006 Z06, 1999 FRC

Not sure if you guys actually read the statement, but the majority of the manpower will come from volunteers. The administration costs of the programs will come from the NRA.

The NRA plans to use its significant training network, for which I am an instructor and would be proud to help, to provide the necessary training to volunteers who will stand guard at the schools. The "Ï'm smart because I watch ABC news" crowd seldom recognizes the multiple facets of the NRA. Political lobbying is just a part of what the organization does.

Not everything needs to cost money. The majority of firefighters in the US get paid $0, yet nearly every town of any size has a fire department with dedicated men and women providing service to their community.
BJC99Hardtop is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 07:24 AM   #19
Vette_Newb
Account Disabled.

Member #6180

My Corvette(s)
1989 L98 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncherello View Post
So who pays for those 100,000 police officers in the 100,000 schools? Isn't our party the same party that decries increased government size?
I don't know what party your with/from.. but the GOP hasn't been about decreasing anything government in 10 years.

As for the OP and NRA.. all that is really needed is one well trained man with a gun to protect a school. Everything else is pure stupidity. If we can afford to fondle 12yr old girls at the airport, we can damn sure afford a well trained gunman at school.

And it beat the heck out of the other stupidity you have been spewing lately.
Vette_Newb is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors; when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don’t protect you against them, but protect them against you; when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice; you may know that your society is doomed." – Ayn Rand
Old 12-22-2012, 10:21 AM   #20
Poncherello
Grey Squirrel

Member #5040

My Corvette(s)
Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette_Newb View Post

And it beat the heck out of the other stupidity you have been spewing lately.
Once again, anyone who has a different set of beliefs from your radical beliefs is just spewing stupidity. Let us all bow down to the almighty you because you have the whole world figured out. I'll say it again, even with a pig infestation, assault type weapons have no place in this society and I've been saying that for years. If that makes me stupid then yes, you and Ron Paul have it all figured out....I'm stupid.
Poncherello is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-22-2012, 12:03 PM   #21
fieldskr

Member #51444

My Corvette(s)
06 Machine Silver Z06 (Sold) 05 Arctic White Coupe (Sold)

It isn’t often I use this forum to speak my mind. To me, this venue is more entertainment than a place to take a political or religious stand. Some of you all crack me up. With that said, I’m compelled to weigh in on an issue I feel is about to polarize our country, perhaps as much as the recent elections. The issue is once again gun control, and quite possibly our 2nd Amendment rights. I want you all to understand I don’t consider this to be a Republican verses Democrat issue, although many will spin it as such. I’m quite certain there are plenty of Democrats that embrace the right to keep and bear arms and a fair share of Republicans who think they have no part in our society. This is a Constitutional issue…plain and simple.

First of all I want to be explicitly clear that the recent shooting in Connecticut was a horrible, despicable, evil act that could have only been perpetrated by someone with absolutely no moral compass. In short…in my opinion, this young man was possessed by pure evil. The same holds true for the theater shooting in Colorado, the mall shooting in Oregon, the Gabby Giffords shooting, Columbine, etc.

I can understand the angst and anger coursing through our country right now. Most of you reading this have children of your own, and along with me, cannot fathom the pain these families are experiencing, or the pain that others in like situations have experienced. I pray that they find peace on consolation in the arms of their family members, friends, and neighbors, and they rely upon the Lord for grace and understanding.

One thing I can assure you is legislation will not bring these precious children or the others back, nor will it prevent further senseless murder of innocent people. I don’t have all the answers, but I don’t believe we can legislate crime out of existence. Placing a ban on hand guns or shoulder fired weapons, whether they are semi-automatic or not, is not the answer to this problem. Perhaps the process one must go through to purchase a gun needs to be more stringent. Although what will be next…a three day waiting period and background check to buy a hammer, a crowbar, a baseball bat, a kitchen knife? I firmly believe the in your face violence perpetuated by our current culture is the root of the problem. The news is violent, movies are violent, today’s babysitter – the video game, is jam-packed with killing. What are we to expect? Should we be surprised?

Back to my main point, what I don’t like is the distinct probability that I may lose my right to own or purchase a gun in the future. It is inevitable that there is going to be a big push to ban “assault weapons” and quite possibly all privately owned guns. Please explain to me what weapon is NOT an assault weapon. Anything used to inflict harm upon another person, from a gun to a rock, is an “assault weapon.”

I know, I know, most of you will say the ones that look like military weapons are the assault weapons. Believe it or not, I realize that…I’m trying to draw attention to some of the absurdity being propagated under the disguise of “meaningful gun control.” Let me offer some insight, or dare I say a dose of reality. The look or shape of a gun has nothing to do with its lethality. Remember in the 80’s the “Kit Cars” one could buy? You could basically take a Volkswagen Beetle and make it look like sports car. In the end did you have a sports car? No…you had a Volkswagen.

If you do a little research, you will learn many gun crimes are committed with a .22 caliber. As a kid, I had a .22 caliber “squirrel rifle” that would hold 20 rounds and fire them as fast as I could pull the trigger. No one ever got bent out of shape or told me I owned an “assault weapon.” Some may ask, “what do you need or want an assault weapon for?” I guess my answer would be no particular reason other than the pursuit of legal gun related activities, or because I can. Maybe I want to hang it on the wall and look at it. Perhaps I want one as a reminder of the time I spent carrying and sleeping with one while fighting for the very freedoms we Americans are fond of, to include the 2nd Amendment. Maybe I want to prepare for the impending “Zombie Apocalypse” I keep hearing about. Bottom line…right now I have a Constitutional right to own one.

I’ve read a few good analogies over the last few days regarding the subject of stricter gun control and/or weapons bans. I’ll share a couple with you. One gives reference to the automobile. Automobiles have been and are currently being used in the Middle East to kill hundreds of people. Should the automobile be banned simply because some fanatic uses it as a bomb? Remember the Oklahoma City bombing? 168 people lost their lives on that fateful day…19 of these killed were children in a Daycare. Yet any of us can go right now and purchase diesel fuel, fertilizer, and a moving truck.

Ronald Reagan made a very profound statement after the attempt on his life. If you remember, this event also ignited a furor over gun control (Brady Act). Regan said “We MUST reject the idea that every time a law is broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that EACH individual is accountable for his/her actions.”

I will be taking the opportunity to share my convictions with my elected officials. I encourage you to do the same, regardless of your point of view. Thanks for indulging me. I apologize for the lengthy diatribe.
fieldskr is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
A government that robs Peter to pay Paul...can always depend on the support of Paul.

A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice.

"I'm really easy to get along with once you learn to see things my way"

"INTEGRITY first, SERVICE before self, and EXCELLENCE in all we do".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fieldskr For This Useful Post:
BJC99Hardtop (12-23-2012), blckslvr79 (12-22-2012)
Old 12-22-2012, 02:11 PM   #22
Vette_Newb
Account Disabled.

Member #6180

My Corvette(s)
1989 L98 Coupe

Quote:
Once again, anyone who has a different set of beliefs from your radical beliefs is just spewing stupidity.
Well, my beliefs are constitutional. What was your party again?

Quote:
Let us all bow down to the almighty you because you have the whole world figured out. I'll say it again, even with a pig infestation, assault type weapons have no place in this society and I've been saying that for years. If that makes me stupid then yes, you and Ron Paul have it all figured out....I'm stupid.
Yeah well niether do cars that can run triple the speed limit, alcohol which kills thousands of children a year, etc. But that's the way it is.
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors; when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don’t protect you against them, but protect them against you; when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice; you may know that your society is doomed." – Ayn Rand
Old 12-22-2012, 03:33 PM   #23
iburke
Sir Dude

Member #6081

My Corvette(s)
1971 T-Top

Quote:
So who pays for those 100,000 police officers in the 100,000 schools? Isn't our party the same party that decries increased government size?
I don't know, lets see how many could we start with using the cost of a Christmas vacation in Hawaii?
iburke is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
I can't tell if I'm dealing well with life these days or I just don't give a shit any more.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:39 PM   #24
iburke
Sir Dude

Member #6081

My Corvette(s)
1971 T-Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ80 View Post
It's $10M per year at $100K per cop. We give Hamas, Egypt, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iraq, Mexico et al Billions every year....Just take it out of their "allowance"

I can't tell if I'm dealing well with life these days or I just don't give a shit any more.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:50 PM   #25
Poncherello
Grey Squirrel

Member #5040

My Corvette(s)
Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ80 View Post
It's $10M per year at $100K per cop. We give Hamas, Egypt, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iraq, Mexico et al Billions every year....Just take it out of their "allowance"
You better recheck your math...it's more like $10 billion...... with a b
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-22-2012, 03:54 PM   #26
iburke
Sir Dude

Member #6081

My Corvette(s)
1971 T-Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldskr View Post
It isn’t often I use this forum to speak my mind. To me, this venue is more entertainment than a place to take a political or religious stand. Some of you all crack me up. With that said, I’m compelled to weigh in on an issue I feel is about to polarize our country, perhaps as much as the recent elections. The issue is once again gun control, and quite possibly our 2nd Amendment rights. I want you all to understand I don’t consider this to be a Republican verses Democrat issue, although many will spin it as such. I’m quite certain there are plenty of Democrats that embrace the right to keep and bear arms and a fair share of Republicans who think they have no part in our society. This is a Constitutional issue…plain and simple.

First of all I want to be explicitly clear that the recent shooting in Connecticut was a horrible, despicable, evil act that could have only been perpetrated by someone with absolutely no moral compass. In short…in my opinion, this young man was possessed by pure evil. The same holds true for the theater shooting in Colorado, the mall shooting in Oregon, the Gabby Giffords shooting, Columbine, etc.

I can understand the angst and anger coursing through our country right now. Most of you reading this have children of your own, and along with me, cannot fathom the pain these families are experiencing, or the pain that others in like situations have experienced. I pray that they find peace on consolation in the arms of their family members, friends, and neighbors, and they rely upon the Lord for grace and understanding.

One thing I can assure you is legislation will not bring these precious children or the others back, nor will it prevent further senseless murder of innocent people. I don’t have all the answers, but I don’t believe we can legislate crime out of existence. Placing a ban on hand guns or shoulder fired weapons, whether they are semi-automatic or not, is not the answer to this problem. Perhaps the process one must go through to purchase a gun needs to be more stringent. Although what will be next…a three day waiting period and background check to buy a hammer, a crowbar, a baseball bat, a kitchen knife? I firmly believe the in your face violence perpetuated by our current culture is the root of the problem. The news is violent, movies are violent, today’s babysitter – the video game, is jam-packed with killing. What are we to expect? Should we be surprised?

Back to my main point, what I don’t like is the distinct probability that I may lose my right to own or purchase a gun in the future. It is inevitable that there is going to be a big push to ban “assault weapons” and quite possibly all privately owned guns. Please explain to me what weapon is NOT an assault weapon. Anything used to inflict harm upon another person, from a gun to a rock, is an “assault weapon.”

I know, I know, most of you will say the ones that look like military weapons are the assault weapons. Believe it or not, I realize that…I’m trying to draw attention to some of the absurdity being propagated under the disguise of “meaningful gun control.” Let me offer some insight, or dare I say a dose of reality. The look or shape of a gun has nothing to do with its lethality. Remember in the 80’s the “Kit Cars” one could buy? You could basically take a Volkswagen Beetle and make it look like sports car. In the end did you have a sports car? No…you had a Volkswagen.

If you do a little research, you will learn many gun crimes are committed with a .22 caliber. As a kid, I had a .22 caliber “squirrel rifle” that would hold 20 rounds and fire them as fast as I could pull the trigger. No one ever got bent out of shape or told me I owned an “assault weapon.” Some may ask, “what do you need or want an assault weapon for?” I guess my answer would be no particular reason other than the pursuit of legal gun related activities, or because I can. Maybe I want to hang it on the wall and look at it. Perhaps I want one as a reminder of the time I spent carrying and sleeping with one while fighting for the very freedoms we Americans are fond of, to include the 2nd Amendment. Maybe I want to prepare for the impending “Zombie Apocalypse” I keep hearing about. Bottom line…right now I have a Constitutional right to own one.

I’ve read a few good analogies over the last few days regarding the subject of stricter gun control and/or weapons bans. I’ll share a couple with you. One gives reference to the automobile. Automobiles have been and are currently being used in the Middle East to kill hundreds of people. Should the automobile be banned simply because some fanatic uses it as a bomb? Remember the Oklahoma City bombing? 168 people lost their lives on that fateful day…19 of these killed were children in a Daycare. Yet any of us can go right now and purchase diesel fuel, fertilizer, and a moving truck.

Ronald Reagan made a very profound statement after the attempt on his life. If you remember, this event also ignited a furor over gun control (Brady Act). Regan said “We MUST reject the idea that every time a law is broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that EACH individual is accountable for his/her actions.”

I will be taking the opportunity to share my convictions with my elected officials. I encourage you to do the same, regardless of your point of view. Thanks for indulging me. I apologize for the lengthy diatribe.

Well said...

And this sums up the main problem in America today.
"It is time to restore the American precept that EACH individual is accountable for his/her actions.”
Old 12-22-2012, 03:56 PM   #27
Poncherello
Grey Squirrel

Member #5040

My Corvette(s)
Looking

Quote:
Well, my beliefs are constitutional. What was your party again?
Then you would know that the Supreme Court, as far back as 1975, has said the second ammendment does not permit the unregulated ownership of firearms as you suggest it does. It also said that the second ammendment does not prevent states from regulating the ownership of firearms.

Quote:
Yeah well niether do cars that can run triple the speed limit, alcohol which kills thousands of children a year, etc. But that's the way it is.
I guess that's why the ownership of cars and sale/consumption of alcohol is regulated by the government...... that's the way it is.

I also find it interesting how that clown from the NRA was so eager to throw the first ammendment under the bus in order to protect the second ammendment by suggesting that violence in this country is directly the result of the image portrayed by Hollywood, video games, and the media. Next he'll be suggesting that we muzzle those industries....which I'm sure you will stand up and fight for.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:57 PM   #28
PredatorC6
DC Crew

Member #115883

My Corvette(s)
C6

Garage
Why not ask veterans to volunteer a few hours each week to guard a school? Just a man or woman posted outside with a weapon would be enough to keep these goddamn cowards from even attempting to enter. We could let them deduct their time as a charitable contribution. We might not be able to fill an entire staff, but volunteers could make a sizable dent in it.

And, it may be possoble to not have armed guards at all schools all the time. Perhaps a plan like our current air marshals. Is that guy sitting in the back row an armed air marshal or not?

I don't think these coward shooters would even chance the possibility of the school be guarded. I know I would be honored to spend a few hours each week at my old school. After a vet passes a background check and weapon training, let him volunteer as much as he or she wishes.
PredatorC6 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Why do they call it "common sense" when, in fact, it has become so uncommon?

That's my opinion, it outta be your's.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:03 PM   #29
Vette_Newb
Account Disabled.

Member #6180

My Corvette(s)
1989 L98 Coupe

Quote:
Then you would know that the Supreme Court, as far back as 1975, has said the second ammendment does not permit the unregulated ownership of firearms as you suggest it does. It also said that the second ammendment does not prevent states from regulating the ownership of firearms.
If we took every supreme court decision, as the final word, people like you would have handed this country off decades ago.

Quote:
I guess that's why the ownership of cars and sale/consumption of alcohol is regulated by the government...... that's the way it is.

NEWSFLASH: Firearms are much more heavily regulated than alcohol or cars. I never had to do a background check to buy a car, or a beer.

Quote:
I also find it interesting how that clown from the NRA was so eager to throw the first ammendment under the bus in order to protect the second ammendment by suggesting that violence in this country is directly the result of the image portrayed by Hollywood, video games, and the media. Next he'll be suggesting that we muzzle those industries....which I'm sure you will stand up and fight for.
Yes, I would. We live in a violent culture, since day one.

If we ban something everytime it's used to kill, there won't be much left now would there?
Old 12-22-2012, 04:32 PM   #30
Poncherello
Grey Squirrel

Member #5040

My Corvette(s)
Looking

Quote:
If we took every supreme court decision, as the final word, people like you would have handed this country off decades ago.

You keep telling us about how our forefathers set things up and now we shouldn't follow Supreme Court decisions "as the final word" ? Perhaps from now on Supreme Court decisions should be appealed to you.

Quote:
NEWSFLASH: Firearms are much more heavily regulated than alcohol or cars. I never had to do a background check to buy a car, or a beer.
So now background checks are bad too?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.