Clutch pedal pressure LS/T56 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C3 Corvette
C3 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

( Sponsored by: Zip Corvette Parts )

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 12-24-2012, 09:16 AM   #1
slofut
DC Crew

Member #119762

My Corvette(s)
1971 base conv

Garage
Clutch pedal pressure LS/T56

I sat in an '02 vette with a ZF 6pd the other day and the clutch pedal effort was VERY light and smooth.
With the LS/t56/C3 conversion, is this still the case? I'm using a factory '04 gto motor and clutch, and the t56 is from an unknown year camaro. What clutch master/slave and mods would make the clutch effort and feel most like the '02 vette?
Bill
slofut is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
HardcoreABN
DC Crew

Member #36463

My Corvette(s)
2000 Torch Red/Red Z51 coupe

Clutch pedal effort is based on 3 things: Clutch master cylinder, throw out bearing, pressure plate. With all stock items, you will have a nice and smooth and light pedal effort.
HardcoreABN is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
ASE Certified Automotive Repair Technician in: Suspension and Steering, Brakes, Electrical/Electronic Systems, and Heating and Air Conditioning

402 LS2- Callies Compstar crank/rods, Wiesco pistons, 11.5:1 c/r, Custom 235/250 .621/.595 115+4cam from Martin @ Tick, CNC LS3 heads, Edelbrock Victor water pump, Melling oil pump, Halltech air intake, LS7 MAF, Jet-Hot coated LG long tube headers, Corsa Tigershark exhaust, Hotchkis sway bars, Monster level 3 clutch, return style fuel system, 2 stage nitrous plate system
Old 12-24-2012, 10:44 PM   #3
Sly Vette
DC Crew

Member #118014

My Corvette(s)
1969 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by slofut View Post
I sat in an '02 vette with a ZF 6pd the other day and the clutch pedal effort was VERY light and smooth.
With the LS/t56/C3 conversion, is this still the case? I'm using a factory '04 gto motor and clutch, and the t56 is from an unknown year camaro. What clutch master/slave and mods would make the clutch effort and feel most like the '02 vette?
Bill
I agree with ABN above but I'm not familiar with the '02 set-up. Does it have a master/slave cylinder system or a master/hyd. throwout bearing system?
I will be replacing my clutch in my '69 in the Spring. It has a WC T-5 trans with a master cyl/slave cyl. system and I'm thinking about changing to a hyd. throwout bearing.
Sorry for the semi-hijack....
MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Sly Vette is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 05:46 AM   #4
HardcoreABN
DC Crew

Member #36463

My Corvette(s)
2000 Torch Red/Red Z51 coupe

All 97+ have a master cylinder with a hydraulic throw out bearing. They are also Tremecs T56 (C5/C6) or TR6060 (Z06? and ZR1).

The pressure plate I have is rather heavy, but I have an upgraded master cylinder so that offsets it quite a bit.

I would NOT suggest going with a GM clutch master cylinder as they are notorious for being weak and failing. Tick sells a great Tilton master cylinder that is amazing. The GM throw out bearing is more than capable of handling what you throw at it, so there is no issues using that- as long as you install it properly and make sure it is assembled properly.
HardcoreABN is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
ASE Certified Automotive Repair Technician in: Suspension and Steering, Brakes, Electrical/Electronic Systems, and Heating and Air Conditioning

402 LS2- Callies Compstar crank/rods, Wiesco pistons, 11.5:1 c/r, Custom 235/250 .621/.595 115+4cam from Martin @ Tick, CNC LS3 heads, Edelbrock Victor water pump, Melling oil pump, Halltech air intake, LS7 MAF, Jet-Hot coated LG long tube headers, Corsa Tigershark exhaust, Hotchkis sway bars, Monster level 3 clutch, return style fuel system, 2 stage nitrous plate system
The Following User Says Thank You to HardcoreABN For This Useful Post:
slofut (12-25-2012)
Old 12-25-2012, 08:46 PM   #5
slofut
DC Crew

Member #119762

My Corvette(s)
1971 base conv

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcoreABN View Post
Clutch pedal effort is based on 3 things: Clutch master cylinder, throw out bearing, pressure plate. With all stock items, you will have a nice and smooth and light pedal effort.
That's what I was hoping but I have seen the other masters recommended (as you mentioned the Tilton below), and also the fact that the angle of the master looks to be off tangent to the pedal travel. I'm wondering if the angle isn't probably better on the newer hydraulic equipped cars. But I know lots of you folks have already done this on c3's and have first hand knowledge.
So the Tilton (is that what Josh uses?) maintains nice pedal feel? And do you lose pushrod travel as the pedal nears the floor? And lastly, am I overthinking this?
Thanks for all the replies!
Old 12-25-2012, 08:51 PM   #6
slofut
DC Crew

Member #119762

My Corvette(s)
1971 base conv

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly Vette View Post
I agree with ABN above but I'm not familiar with the '02 set-up. Does it have a master/slave cylinder system or a master/hyd. throwout bearing system?
I will be replacing my clutch in my '69 in the Spring. It has a WC T-5 trans with a master cyl/slave cyl. system and I'm thinking about changing to a hyd. throwout bearing.
Sorry for the semi-hijack....
MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Thanks Sly,
The t56 does have a hyd throwout bearing. Looks like the trick to me but for the push connect hydraulic line fitting. I guess they're ok with just an o-ring to seal.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:18 PM   #7
Sly Vette
DC Crew

Member #118014

My Corvette(s)
1969 Convertible

I currently have a G.M clutch master cyl. in my car. It is out of a '85 1 ton truck and the angle is a perfect match for the angle we need on our C-3's. I have approx. 30,000 miles without a problem. I did have to change the slave about 15,000 miles ago but that was due to the fact that a seal failed because there was no shield in place to protect the slave from the heat of the headers.
I will probably stay with the system I have in place now however I will be a bit more diligent with the clutch pivot installation. With my bell housing/adapter plate/trans I have installed the pivot I have,which is adjustable, is not accessible. I will make sure when I get everything apart to measure EXACTLY the distance from the pivot to the flywheel. Now if I could find,in a search,what that distance is. I know I've seen it somewhere.
Sly Vette is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 04:33 PM   #8
EASYGEAR
DC Crew

Member #95242

My Corvette(s)
Custom

" . . . fine tune clutch pedal heights regulates over-travel of the release bearings .
.... excessive travel can destroy bearing or cause clutch diaphragm to travel over center, resulting in high rpm engagement troubles . . .

..... compared with factory-style originals, most modern high-performance aftermarket clutches require less travel in disengage. As result, the pedal often sits higher than the enthusiast might desire .... " ( which is excactly what i have experienced )

Does anyone have experience with the clutch pedal adjuster ?

http://www.ramclutches.com/zen-cart/...roducts_id=677

I am also having a LS / T-56 conversion in the make, and i have concerns regarding pedal height.
In an earlier build, which wasn`t LS and not hydraulic clutch, but a high-performance clutch, the pedal was coming up so high, very annoying. I had two shops checking, but it definitely couldn`t been set lower.

From what i have heard the same thing can occur with the six-speed / hydraulic clutch devices.

It would be interesting to hear from others that have tried on this.
EASYGEAR is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
-----------------------------------------------------
"....WHAT YOU BEGIN WITH, YOU HAVE TO BRING TO AN E........." (Bart Simpson)
Old 12-27-2012, 08:01 AM   #9
MIKE80
DC Crew

Member #85716

I installed my T56 different than most. I used a conversion kit that came with a hydraulic throw out bearing for my 94' T56, converting the pull clutch to a more conventional push design. Shifting easy and smooth.

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...36#post1969236
MIKE80 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.