C7 with 4 doors??? - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C7 Corvette Forums > C7 Corvette - Facts | Info | Rumors
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C7 Corvette - Facts | Info | Rumors The first C7 Corvette info is rolling in...

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 12-29-2012, 10:24 AM   #1
jesters94
DC Crew

Member #119130

My Corvette(s)
1994 Brickyard 400 parade car

C7 with 4 doors???

Any body seen the new 4 door sports car??
http://www.corvetteonline.com/news/v...or-c7-corvette

Hope this is not a dupe post.
jesters94 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
1 of 25 1994 Brickyard 400 parade cars

http://s12.beta.photobucket.com/user...d%20pace%20car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
TheGorram
DC Crew

Member #64899

It's a dupe to drum up advertising dollars. Never gonna happen.
TheGorram is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 12:13 PM   #3
DarthAWM
DC Crew

Member #83845

My Corvette(s)
2003 Torch Red 6 speed coupe

Why not, it worked for the Thunderbird and it worked so well.

After all it went from two seater to four seater to four door back to two door to hiatus to two seater to dead. Great progression
DarthAWM is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Never trust a man who won't eat bacon
-Jimmy Dean
Old 12-29-2012, 01:34 PM   #4
DRM87
DC Crew

Member #59652

My Corvette(s)
1987 Corvette Convertible(Sold), 2001 Corvette Z06 SW(Sold), 1999 FRC 441lsx custom widebody

Its called the Chevy SS and will be a 2014 model. No worries, its not actually a 4 door vette. Its just a Chevy (Pontiac) G8.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...enderings-news
DRM87 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 02:14 PM   #5
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

All they need to add to make it an instant legend failure is suicide doors.
Texdentist is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 07:25 PM   #6
kRoNiX
DC Crew

Member #120476

Wow that thing looks disgusting
kRoNiX is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 05:29 PM   #7
spd98
DC Crew

Member #4658

The SS is REAL and it DOESN'T LOOK LIKE A CORVETTE!

Other than the name it will be an AWESOME car!
spd98 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 08:48 PM   #8
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

Earlier this year, GM renewed the copywrights on "El Camino" and " Nomad." The SS is essentially Holden Commodore. The Commodore chassis is used by the Ute, which is the Aussie El Camino. Holden also makes a hopped up wagon on this chassis called the SSV-Z.

It's my understanding that all of the engineering work for the EC was completed pre-bankruptcy. IMO, the Ute / EC is a good, practical bet to be imported as an SS stablemate to share parts here. I doubt the Nomad will make it here as long as the CTS-V wagon is offered, but you never know what the new GM will do.
Longtimer is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
'07:bought from a former sponsor, Z06 wheels and Vararam from former sponsors, Various accessories from Corvette Central and Corvette America. B&B Fusions with Corsa X pipe. Shine from Adam's
'87: refurbished all interior with parts from Corv Central '79: Interior refurb = Corvette America, and Corvette Central, T1Rs, Foose Legends
DC Sponsors
________________________________________ ________

Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green. Watching for C8 fixes & improvements
Old 12-30-2012, 09:02 PM   #9
Roadkillz
Formerly DOC7000

Member #820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimer View Post
Earlier this year, GM renewed the copywrights on "El Camino" and " Nomad." The SS is essentially Holden Commodore. The Commodore chassis is used by the Ute, which is the Aussie El Camino. Holden also makes a hopped up wagon on this chassis called the SSV-Z.

It's my understanding that all of the engineering work for the EC was completed pre-bankruptcy. IMO, the Ute / EC is a good, practical bet to be imported as an SS stablemate to share parts here. I doubt the Nomad will make it here as long as the CTS-V wagon is offered, but you never know what the new GM will do.
The SS sedan will be based on the new Commodore which will be shown off really soon. They already showed off the NASCAR for whatever that is worth, though it does have the face that will look similar to the production SS sedan.

For the next generation CTS (2014 model year) the wagon will not return, so its possible that the Nomad will be the wagon version of the SS sedan.

The UTE was slated to come to the states as a Pontiac on the G8 ST (sport truck) badge which obviously was no longer possible with no Pontiac.

SS Sedan is already a done deal, UTE is a maybe and the Wagon would be very unlikely as GM doesn't tend to sell its wagon versions of vehicles in the US.
Roadkillz is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. " Aristotle
Old 12-30-2012, 09:31 PM   #10
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

Yeah, that's kinda what I said. The engineering for the Pontiac "EC" was done, but bankruptcy happened. The SS is really just the G8 with a few updates. The SS updates can be applied to the already engineered Pontiac "EC" / UTE. With minimal cost, they can have another model that would be a good test to see if the market will support a new El Camino, without investing in a complete adaptation of the Alpha platform.

If the market justifies, they could continue to use the Holden source for the SS & EC, or build here using the Alpha platform for the next gen SS and El Camino. Using the lighter Alpha platform would better benefit CAFE.

JMHO
'07:bought from a former sponsor, Z06 wheels and Vararam from former sponsors, Various accessories from Corvette Central and Corvette America. B&B Fusions with Corsa X pipe. Shine from Adam's
'87: refurbished all interior with parts from Corv Central '79: Interior refurb = Corvette America, and Corvette Central, T1Rs, Foose Legends
DC Sponsors

Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green. Watching for C8 fixes & improvements
Old 12-30-2012, 09:47 PM   #11
Roadkillz
Formerly DOC7000

Member #820

Quote:
Yeah, that's kinda what I said. The engineering for the Pontiac "EC" was done, but bankruptcy happened. The SS is really just the G8 with a few updates. The SS updates can be applied to the already engineered Pontiac "EC" / UTE. With minimal cost, they can have another model that would be a good test to see if the market will support a new El Camino, without investing in a complete adaptation of the Alpha platform.

If the market justifies, they could continue to use the Holden source for the SS & EC, or build here using the Alpha platform for the next gen SS and El Camino. Using the lighter Alpha platform would better benefit CAFE.

JMHO
The Commodore is under going some pretty good changes including a diet as well as a revamped interior.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. " Aristotle
Old 01-01-2013, 01:51 PM   #12
spd98
DC Crew

Member #4658

Quote:

CTS wagon is gone after production stops on this body style. They have gotten trademarks before and not used them though. I sense that GM is going to loose all ofit's brand identity again.

On the SS I think we will see that it's very different than the Commodore, I suspect something like MRC (from HSV) will make it to this car.
spd98 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 04:31 PM   #13
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spd98 View Post
CTS wagon is gone after production stops on this body style.
Good point, but rumors say the ATS will get a wagon and a V wouldn't be far behind.

Quote:
They have gotten trademarks before and not used them though.
True. But in this case, like the SS, the engineering (if rumors are true) is complete for the EC and would only need the SS front fascia adapted. This would probably be true for most of a Nomad offering. The question is, does GM want a RWD wagon for Chevy, or would a Malibu or even Cruise be a better foundation for a wagon (if needed) for Chevy.

Quote:
On the SS I think we will see that it's very different than the Commodore, I suspect something like MRC (from HSV) will make it to this car.
Thus far, everything from Holden has kept the Holden design for most of the car - roof, glass and doors with minor reskinning of the fenders. Even so, a lot of change can be designed around that core.

However, the G8 was accepted well when introduced, despite the lack of a few frills that we in the US seem to require. My bet is that GM addresses the packaging (US-izing it), makes minor changes to the skin, drops in the LT-1 and prints a brochure. They might adapt the Magnetic shocks to it, an maybe it could get an SC version of the LT-1 someday(?). The SS is being marketed as THE NASCAR Chevy, so the SC engine might sell well.
DC Sponsors

Old 01-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #14
Roadkillz
Formerly DOC7000

Member #820

The single biggest issue with importing vehicles from Australia to the US is in order to be priced competitive the margins are too small. Slight changes in currency exchange rates means the difference between making money and losing money.

I do agree that whatever the next Commodore looks like the Chevy SS sedan will look mostly like it. Give it a different front and rear end treatment and call it a day, though I am ok with this. Its not like we have a Commodore that sells side by side and also I think that the current Commodore and likely the new one will look handsome.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:51 PM   #15
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkillz View Post
Its not like we have a Commodore that sells side by side and also I think that the current Commodore and likely the new one will look handsome.
DC Sponsors

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.