Hypocrites speeding and ticketing others - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > Stingray's "Bad Shark" Lounge
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

Stingray's "Bad Shark" Lounge Welcome to our seriously OFF TOPIC discussion forum section! Open 24-hours a day since 2003.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com
Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 08:17 AM   #1
Super_jim
DC Crew

Member #60205

My Corvette(s)
2008 vert Z51 NPP

Hypocrites speeding and ticketing others

Are cops hypocrites if they speed around looking for someone to give speeding tickets to?

I live in a small southern town (South Carolina). Hwy 52 runs near my house and has 2 lanes in each direction with a breakdown/turn lane in-between and has wide enough shoulders to change a flat (in most places). The speed limit is 45 mph and the local cops use the road as a revenue generator. I have been saved by my radar detector more than once; it is HARD to go 45 on a straight, wide, flat road.

Locals know not to go over 50, or you will get a ticket. So I set the cruze at 49 and I get passed by cops on this road, both local and state all the time. It pisses me off.

I took a picture of a cop car and visible license plate going by with my heads up display reading 49 mph. I was going to use it as a complaint but I know the only one who will be sorry is me.

What do you think, this is all about $$$. Safety is not the issue, ignore the speeding cops, it’s a job benefit?
Super_jim is offline   Quick reply to this message
Evolution – It’s NOT a theory, it's an observation.
Beer and whiskey - members of the grain group, the base of the food pyramid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 08:27 AM   #2
Poncherello
Grey Squirrel

Member #5040

My Corvette(s)
Looking

Of course it's about revenue and a job benefit. The guy who works for the cable company gets free cable while the guy who works for the phone company gets free phone service..... so it's only right to expect the cops to be able to go fast. Those damn hypocrites
Poncherello is offline   Quick reply to this message
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-02-2013, 08:31 AM   #3
Chris Draper
DC Crew

Member #3332

Emergency Vehicles only have the right to speed if they have their siren lights on (In the case of a real emergency). Just driving normally down the road they have to abide by the same laws as you and I.
Chris Draper is offline   Quick reply to this message
Corvette Info Center http://corvette-info.tripod.com
Corvette Racing History http://corvette-racing.tripod.com
Corvette Concepts History http://corvette-concepts.tripod.com
Corvette Info Center Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/corvetteinfocenter
Old 01-02-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
BJC99Hardtop
DC Crew

Member #16712

My Corvette(s)
2006 Z06, 1999 FRC

In the town I live in, I see the cops obeying the traffic laws. It is not like that everywhere. I was in an accident caused by a speeding cop a few years back. You would have thought I was a criminal because he rear-ended me while I was sitting at a red light.

Three years ago, I went to a law enforcement gun bash. The bash is held to benefit the policemen's organization of about 5 local departments. The amount of DWI I saw from officers leaving that party was disgusting. I have not gone back.
BJC99Hardtop is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #5
iburke
Sir Dude

Member #6081

My Corvette(s)
1971 T-Top

Quote:
When a person gains power over other persons–political power to force other persons to do his bidding when they do not believe it right to do so–it seems inevitable that a moral weakness develops in the person who exercises that power. It may take time for this weakness to become visible. In fact, its full extent is frequently left to the historians to record, but we eventually learn of it. It was Lord Acton, the British historian, who said: “All power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely.”
iburke is offline   Quick reply to this message
I can't tell if I'm dealing well with life these days or I just don't give a shit any more.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:55 AM   #6
AK's Z06
DC Crew

Member #29637

My Corvette(s)
2005 Monterey Red Metallic Z51 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncherello View Post
Of course it's about revenue and a job benefit. The guy who works for the cable company gets free cable while the guy who works for the phone company gets free phone service..... so it's only right to expect the cops to be able to go fast. Those damn hypocrites
Those bastards! I still get a electric bill, and I work at the Nuke plant!
AK's Z06 is offline   Quick reply to this message
2005 Monterey Red Metallic Z51 Sold, 2003 Electron Blue Z06 Sold, 1995 Aqua Metallic ZF6FX3 Sold, 1992 Dark Red Metallic Coupe Sold, 1990 White Coupe Sold, 1989 Black Coupe Sold
Old 01-03-2013, 07:27 AM   #7
Super_jim
DC Crew

Member #60205

My Corvette(s)
2008 vert Z51 NPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Draper View Post
Emergency Vehicles only have the right to speed if they have their siren lights on (In the case of a real emergency). Just driving normally down the road they have to abide by the same laws as you and I.
Who is going to give them a ticket?

DEA agents keeping drugs and money for themselves, politicians investing in companies they actively support through legislation (not to mention taking bribes from PACs), cops speeding, the examples go on and on.

I agree with iBurke, this is a minor example, but still an indication of corruption.

The proletarian will rise against the bourgeoisie
Old 01-03-2013, 07:28 AM   #8
Super_jim
DC Crew

Member #60205

My Corvette(s)
2008 vert Z51 NPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK's Z06 View Post
Me too.

I think they charge me extra.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:51 AM   #9
XQIZT
You've been pimped!!

Member #80197

My Corvette(s)
1985 Z51, 1977 custom

Like every job, there are people that are good and bad. Those to take "perks," and those who don't. If it's THAT bad, report them. Chris is right, unless they are responding to something, they are beholden to the same laws, rules and regulations as we are.

On the flip side, you wanna speed too? Join the Academy, take a cut in pay (considering your current job) and let people shoot at you.
XQIZT is online now   Quick reply to this message
"Alexa" - 1985 Z51 - In memory of the last Corvette Dad owned.

"Desiree" - 1977 - Wife's car, with an attitude problem

Click here for more info about our cars and autocrossing and other Corvette stuff.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:56 AM   #10
The Dude
DC Crew

Member #120318

My Corvette(s)
In limbo....

Let me offer this up.

Most people have jobs that don't require them to depend on somebody else to be there for them in a nick of time or they could be killed. Officers on the street are usually alone while on patrole with other officers close by that can respond to help out. They can't all car pool or you would find your taxes going up dramatically to cover the areas that they have to. Believe me if it were up to me no officer would work alone at any time, but this is how it must be done for fiscal reasons.

So that said, an officer is out there alone and a call comes in and he responds not knowing exactly what he is getting into. When he arrives he finds that there are a few people on the scene that are emotional and frantic as sometimes is the case or I should say most of the time. So that officer puts out over the radio requesting an assist or close watch. That starts the other officers in the area rolling in that direction. Not guns out and lights and sirens going but moving quickly because things can get out of hand quickly. They do it that way because it is proven that more accidents happen when they roll code (lights & sirens) not because so much of the speed issue but because people (other drivers) act erratic when the see lights and sirens behind them and that eratic behavior can cause accidents when a police vehicle is trying to get around them quickly. So they move quickly as they can and as safely as they can around traffic, and yes normally above the posted speed and sometimes greatly above the speed if they feel it is safe to do so. They do this because it is the safest way to move about without panicking other drivers into causing accidents while assisting other officers. When the assist requires great speed and running of lights and stop signs you will then see the officer run code (lights & sirens) the entire way.

So just keep that in mind the next time you see an officer moving quickly. He may not even be going straight to the scene, but he is most likely getting close to help if he needs to.

Officers are sometimes minutes away, just think how much damage can be done in a no holds bared fight for your life.

Just think about it.

About perks...afficers don't join any force to get to drive fast. They join to serve and protect. Is it fun to get to run code sometimes....YES! But thats part of the job. It's funner to drive the speed limit and watch everybody slow down to your speed....thats fun....

Last edited by The Dude; 01-03-2013 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Answer the perk remark....
The Dude is online now   Quick reply to this message
Rock on!
No...I can't spell...I'm a RedNeck!
Old 01-03-2013, 12:02 PM   #11
The Dude
DC Crew

Member #120318

My Corvette(s)
In limbo....

Quote:

On a side note.....I LOVE your Vette in your pic. That thing is what I have dreamed about. One day I will own one that color and hopefully with an LS7 engine.

One day.
The Dude is online now   Quick reply to this message
Rock on!
No...I can't spell...I'm a RedNeck!
Old 01-03-2013, 12:10 PM   #12
PredatorC6
DC Crew

Member #115883

My Corvette(s)
C6

Garage
In my county, it's the %$#!?% motorcycle cops. These a$$holes are outright dangerous.
PredatorC6 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Why do they call it "common sense" when, in fact, it has become so uncommon?

That's my opinion, it outta be your's.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #13
the machine

Member #67421

My Corvette(s)
1966 Big Block Vert, 2008 Z06, 1969 435 , 1959 vert. Non vette ...2011 CTS-V wgn, 2014 silverado

Quote:
the machine is offline   Quick reply to this message
Welcome to the Machine.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #14
c6vettedude
DC Crew

Member #120057

Rules and laws are only designed for the average joe who holds no position of authority or power.
c6vettedude is offline   Quick reply to this message
2006 Blk C6 vert w/A&A Supercharger kit w/V3 upgrade, Random Tech ceramic-coated LT headers w/hi-flo cats and Corsa Extreme exhaust. New dyno #'s 611rwhp/583tq
Old 01-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #15
the machine

Member #67421

My Corvette(s)
1966 Big Block Vert, 2008 Z06, 1969 435 , 1959 vert. Non vette ...2011 CTS-V wgn, 2014 silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5 Dude View Post
Let me offer this up.

Most people have jobs that don't require them to depend on somebody else to be there for them in a nick of time or they could be killed. Officers on the street are usually alone while on patrole with other officers close by that can respond to help out. They can't all car pool or you would find your taxes going up dramatically to cover the areas that they have to. Believe me if it were up to me no officer would work alone at any time, but this is how it must be done for fiscal reasons.

So that said, an officer is out there alone and a call comes in and he responds not knowing exactly what he is getting into. When he arrives he finds that there are a few people on the scene that are emotional and frantic as sometimes is the case or I should say most of the time. So that officer puts out over the radio requesting an assist or close watch. That starts the other officers in the area rolling in that direction. Not guns out and lights and sirens going but moving quickly because things can get out of hand quickly. They do it that way because it is proven that more accidents happen when they roll code (lights & sirens) not because so much of the speed issue but because people (other drivers) act erratic when the see lights and sirens behind them and that eratic behavior can cause accidents when a police vehicle is trying to get around them quickly. So they move quickly as they can and as safely as they can around traffic, and yes normally above the posted speed and sometimes greatly above the speed if they feel it is safe to do so. They do this because it is the safest way to move about without panicking other drivers into causing accidents while assisting other officers. When the assist requires great speed and running of lights and stop signs you will then see the officer run code (lights & sirens) the entire way.

So just keep that in mind the next time you see an officer moving quickly. He may not even be going straight to the scene, but he is most likely getting close to help if he needs to.

Officers are sometimes minutes away, just think how much damage can be done in a no holds bared fight for your life.

Just think about it.

About perks...afficers don't join any force to get to drive fast. They join to serve and protect. Is it fun to get to run code sometimes....YES! But thats part of the job. It's funner to drive the speed limit and watch everybody slow down to your speed....thats fun....
Well said and I agree. These guys get special training that the average motorist does not get, and these guys spend their whole day driving. The experience alone of all those hours behind the wheel makes them more expert than most of us. But hey if you think you got the chops buy a good radar detector and go for it. I drive fast alot, if the day comes that I happen to get caught...well thats the price of poker I guess...but if you pay attention as I do that day is rare.
the machine is offline   Quick reply to this message
Welcome to the Machine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.