for those with R&P steering - Page 2 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C3 Corvette
C3 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

( Sponsored by: Zip Corvette Parts )

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 11-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #16
rtj

Member #52011

My Corvette(s)
75/502, C6 Z06, 70 ProStreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomjock View Post
rtj

That's what I did. (I'm assuming you have done likewise) I haven't gotten the beast off the saw horses just yet. But now, I am considering the mod that 496BBC showed with the bearings and guide bar. Have you noticed any play or poor response on you set up? Now would be the time - grind away the powder coat and do the welding. Let me know what you think.

Cheers - Jim
I bought a second hand system. Guy didn't like the steeroids. I have a 2.5 turn rack and with no power probably should have 3 turns or more.

Yes I like his linear bearing idea, and think it would work on the factory center link. May have to think about it a bit more
rtj is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 05:13 PM   #17
72SBVet
DC Crew

Member #69345

My Corvette(s)

If you went with a manual rack setup which brand would you choose? I'm wanting manual steering and have a ps pump dedicated just for the hydroboost. I had an old truck with manual steering, brakes, and transmission so I know how to drive one, so therefore it doesn't bother me. Also who makes a good DD joint that actually lasts as I've read bad things about aftermarket shafts? Thanks
72SBVet is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
As FPSRussia says "As always.... Have nice day"
Old 01-02-2013, 09:46 AM   #18
Bill Davies
DC Crew

Member #118694

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72SBVet View Post
If you went with a manual rack setup which brand would you choose? I'm wanting manual steering and have a ps pump dedicated just for the hydroboost. I had an old truck with manual steering, brakes, and transmission so I know how to drive one, so therefore it doesn't bother me. Also who makes a good DD joint that actually lasts as I've read bad things about aftermarket shafts? Thanks

I'm not saying what you want is wrong or anything, but what would be the point of manual steering if you have the pump there for the hydroboost anyway? It's just that in my mind, the only reason to switch to manual steering is if you wanted the little bit of HP back that the pump is leeching.
Bill Davies is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 11:59 AM   #19
72SBVet
DC Crew

Member #69345

My Corvette(s)

It feels more stable to me. My brothers 74 is manual steer and mine is a tight feeling ps setup. I plan on making some torque and hp, and didn't want a loose feeling ps. I'm planning on making serious suspension upgrades, and even plan on a roll cage...it's going to be what I always wanted, but it'll be a 1 1/2 to 2 year build on top of the 2 years that I've already had it down.
72SBVet is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
As FPSRussia says "As always.... Have nice day"
Old 01-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #20
phantomjock
DC Crew

Member #90013

My Corvette(s)
1978 - original owner

I'm no where near getting to this point, but note in my review of "stuff," that there are a number of valves you can add/change to a P/S setup. Suppose that would improve responsiveness/feedback? Interested to hear from any that have been down this track.

Cheers - Jim
phantomjock is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 08:55 AM   #21
Bill Davies
DC Crew

Member #118694

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72SBVet View Post
It feels more stable to me. My brothers 74 is manual steer and mine is a tight feeling ps setup. I plan on making some torque and hp, and didn't want a loose feeling ps. I'm planning on making serious suspension upgrades, and even plan on a roll cage...it's going to be what I always wanted, but it'll be a 1 1/2 to 2 year build on top of the 2 years that I've already had it down.
Thanks for the food for thought. Now that the motor is running right, trans is sealed up, wiring is cleaned up and the interior is back together, a Steeroids kit and Hydroboost are finally on my radar.

...along with cleaning up vacuum lines, aluminum radiator/electric fans, electric headlight motors, ripping out the rest of the unused AC components, etc etc etc.

For some reason, every time I check something off the To Do list, 2 more things get added. LMAO
Bill Davies is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.