Tpms problem - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C5 Corvette Forums > C5 Corvette - General Discussion
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C5 Corvette - General Discussion General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 12-31-2012, 12:50 PM   #1
fatboyreyn
DC Crew

Member #66647

My Corvette(s)
1999 hardtop

Tpms problem

I just installed four new tpms sensors on my 99 hardtop. They are the Orange Electronics brand. All four of them were recognized when I programmed them into car. The problem is only right front shows actual pressure, and the other three show xxx's. I programmed them again but did the right front first to see what would happen. Now the screen only shows left front reading pressure. Are the other three sensors bad, or is it the receiving unit? Thanks.
fatboyreyn is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
99 hardtop, LS6 intake, 80mm TB, CAI, ,Borla catback exhaust. Black on black. Batmobile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 01:09 PM   #2
BaddAssC6
DC Crew

Member #65752

My Corvette(s)
c6 coupe z51

I have the same problem. One of my sensors was damaged while mounting a new set of tires. It was replaced. When the service tech went to program the sensor only the right front would read correctly. I've taken the car to discount tire and the dealership and neither could program the remaining three sensors.
BaddAssC6 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
" The Ghost of the China Coast!"
Old 12-31-2012, 04:02 PM   #3
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)
2001 Navy Blue Metallic Coupe

Garage
First off, this is the last thing that you should take to a dealer to fix. You can program the sensors while sitting in your driveway in less than 5 minutes. Second, did either of you guys drive the car for a couple of miles after the reprogramming? Last of all to the OP, did you verify that the brand of TPM sensors you bought actually work with your make, model AND YEAR car?
Junkman2008 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."
Old 12-31-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
BaddAssC6
DC Crew

Member #65752

My Corvette(s)
c6 coupe z51

Junkman,
Yes the car has been driven since the programming. I drove the car from discount tire to the dealership. I bought the replacement tpms from the dealership.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:24 AM   #5
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Garage
So all 4 of them are new?
Old 01-01-2013, 07:54 PM   #6
BaddAssC6
DC Crew

Member #65752

My Corvette(s)
c6 coupe z51

No, only one is new. The other three were working fine before programming the new one. One broke during mounting resulting in three working sensors. Then I got the new sensor programmed. Which resulted in only the new sensor working.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:52 PM   #7
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Garage
Well, there's a;ways a possibility that another sensor has went bad. Here's the deal.

If you attempt to program all 4 sensors and one will not program, every wheel after the one that won't program cannot be programmed. The system will stop at the wheel that won't program and go no further. There is a way to test and see if a sensor is bad. Do you know the programming procedure?
Old 01-01-2013, 11:00 PM   #8
BaddAssC6
DC Crew

Member #65752

My Corvette(s)
c6 coupe z51

I know that c5's can be done with a magnet and my understanding is that c6's need a programer. All four sensors were communicating with the programmer (according to the service tech), but only one will communicate with the car.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:56 AM   #9
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Garage
You completely did not answer my question. Try again.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:24 AM   #10
wascapsfan
DC Crew

Member #116855

My Corvette(s)
99 C5 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaddAssC6 View Post
Junkman,
Yes the car has been driven since the programming. I drove the car from discount tire to the dealership. I bought the replacement tpms from the dealership.
This is what I give to my customers when I rebuild their sensors or if they buy a set from me. Granted, this procedure is only for 1997-2000. I can't speak for the newer 2001-2004. They are NOT interchangeable without other modifications.

If you have never programmed one before, it is a simple process and I recommend that it is done before installing the TPMS in the tire. The TPMS has been tested prior to shipping. You have 3 minutes to program all 4 sensors when you do the programming. Sometimes it takes on the first try, sometimes it takes on the 24th try. It's best to have 2 people to do the programming. One to push the buttons, and one to take a large magnet from tire to tire as the IPC asks.
If it has trouble programming, be patient and try it again. Your BCM (computer) may have a little trouble detecting the new sensor, but it WILL find it!
Again, it is always a great idea to sit the sensor next to the tire, then go through the programming.
I have labeled them with RF, LF,RR,& LR so after you program them, you know which sensor goes where.
Also, the larger the magnet (like a speaker magnet) the better. The sensor will typically not give you a reading until you drive the car a bit as the sensors are activated by movement!! Once you have it programmed and installed in the tire, DRIVE the car. There should be NO reason to have the shop reprogram it unless it does not accept the programming that you did at home.

Instructions to Reprogram C5 TPMS

Reprogramming the sensors requires a strong (preferably u-shaped or circular) magnet.
1. Turn the key to the ON position but do not start the car.
2. Press the DIC RESET button to clear any warning messages, if they’re present.
3. Press the OPTIONS button and cycle through the menu until the display goes blank.
4. Press and hold the RESET button until “FOB TRAINING” appears on the display.
5. Press the OPTIONS button once. A “TIRE TRAINING” message is displayed.
6. Press the RESET button once. A “LEARN LEFT FRONT TIRE” message is displayed.
7. Hold a magnet over the Valve Stem on left front wheel. You may have to move it around the valve stem to hit the right spot.
8. When the horn beeps, programming is complete for THAT wheel.
9. Program the other 3 wheel sensors as directed by the DIC message display. The sequence is as follows: Left Front, Right Front, Right Rear, Left Rear.
You have approximately 45 seconds to train each tire. If the sensor isn’t reset in that time, the training program shuts down and you will have to start the entire procedure over.

I hope this helps!!!
wascapsfan is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 04:27 PM   #11
fatboyreyn
DC Crew

Member #66647

My Corvette(s)
1999 hardtop

tpms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
You completely did not answer my question. Try again.
let me add my 2 cents. I am going to tell you step by step what i did, junkman, and i mean no disrespect cause my sons a marine and i have the utmost respect for you. I replaced all four ...wait let me start by saying that the four sensors in my tires were not correct for my year vet, and they never worked. Now, as i said, i replaced all four sensors on the car. I went through the programming, starting with the front left. Horn beeped, and i went to front right, so on so forth. Horn beeped on all four sensors. I then drove car around and after about 3 to 5 miles, i recieved the dreaded, " service tire pres mon sys" on my display. I pushed the guages button, scrolled through to tpms, and the LEFT front had xxx, the RIGHT front had 30psi, and both rear ones had xxx. So according to your theory, the left front didn't communicate with reciever, but after that the right front one did, but the left front shoulda been first. I repeated this scenario three times. Once I started programming with the front RIGHT, and then the other three. The 30 psi showed up on the FRONT left tire, and other three had xxx. ( figure that one out).Any way I'm going to replace recieving unit with a friends unit from the same year, before I purchase a new one. so there you have it, and once again any thoughts would be welcomed.
99 hardtop, LS6 intake, 80mm TB, CAI, ,Borla catback exhaust. Black on black. Batmobile.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #12
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyreyn View Post
... So according to your theory, the left front didn't communicate with reciever, but after that the right front one did, but the left front shoulda been first.
No, I haven't given you my theory yet. I was responding to BaddAssC6. There are two of you in this thread having issues but your issues are completely different. I haven't started addressing yours yet, but now I will.

First, let's make sure that we are on the same page. The first sensor that the car has you program is the front left. That would be the front tire on the driver's side of the car. Is that where you started? Also, if you start with the wrong tire, the first tire that actually programs will ALWAYS show up on the DIC as the front left. Even if you start with the rear right.

Second, you bought some aftermarket sensors. Their PDF document (page 3) states that you can replace over 90% of OEM sensors on the market with theirs. That to me is the blaring red herring in the room, and is why I never buy aftermarket sensors. Their website actually shows sensors for your car but with that disclaimer, there may be a crap shot of an issue with them. That's why I would have bought mine from the dealer. I've seen this issue before, but that's not to say that there is a definite problem with your sensors.

Lastly, changing the receiving unit as a test is a good step in trouble-shooting your issue. You need to reprogram the TPM sensors after doing so.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:02 PM   #13
wascapsfan
DC Crew

Member #116855

My Corvette(s)
99 C5 Vert

So many shops say that aftermarket is just as good.
In my years of dealing with the C5, I have found a handful that react well and the other 95% that just plain DON'T WORK.
OEM is the best way to do it. Rebuild yours or buy some that have been newly rebuilt.
Test your battery. If it is below 3.2 v, then it is going to have trouble getting the computer to find it.
Of all the aftermarket ones that I have in my shop, I haven't found too many that have more than 3.1 volts.
That is almost dead to the computer.
3.3 is really decent but 3.2 is the bottom line for programming. It will last until about 3.08 before the computer has trouble finding it. As a new reprogram, good luck getting the computer to find the sensor with anything less than 3.17v.
Remember....LF...RF...RR...LR,, IN THAT ORDER. 45 seconds is ALL the time you have STARTING ALWAYS from the LEFT FRONT and moving clockwise around the car, PER sensor.
If you start moving sensors around, be aware that if you use a different sensor for the LEFT FRONT, the system will go haywire and will need to be REPROGRAMMED from the left front clockwise around until all 4 are ALL reprogrammed.
If you have ONE sensor that is being replaced, it better be the left rear. Remember, your TPMS will continue to function at below 3.1 but will almost NEVER be able to be found in the programming mode by the computer if you have to reprogram it. The BCM is VERY finicky and will play mind games with you until you realize that drinking does the same mind game with you but is much more fun than trying to work out these sensors!!!!
That's MY .02
wascapsfan is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 07:27 PM   #14
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Garage
I made sure that the BCM didn't have to be reprogrammed after replacing the TPM receiver before I posted. But then, that's what the service manual says and we all know how quirky this car can be sometimes.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:53 PM   #15
fatboyreyn
DC Crew

Member #66647

My Corvette(s)
1999 hardtop

tpms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
I made sure that the BCM didn't have to be reprogrammed after replacing the TPM receiver before I posted. But then, that's what the service manual says and we all know how quirky this car can be sometimes.
You know what? that $3 tire pressure guage is sounding real good around now. ANd I did not see that disclaimer on their pdf. I guess thats why there half the price of OEM ones. I think i'll put this problem on the back burner for awhile, and just enjoy how well my car runs in this cold weather. Thanks for all your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.