Sandy Hook family suing for 100 million - Page 2 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > News Room
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

News Room This section is for discussing current events.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 01-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #16
BJC99Hardtop
DC Crew

Member #16712

My Corvette(s)
2006 Z06, 1999 FRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidmagic View Post
Well is the bank negligent for being attacked my terrorists? Beyond that wouldn't the bank have insurance for theft?
The reason for the loss of valuables can be switched out for any other reason. Tornado, hurricane, gas leak, etc. Hell, they could have just lost the earrings.

I would hope that the bank would have insurance. I know that deposits are federally insured (up to $100K), but I am not sure about SDB's. Either way, if the earrings are gone, I would hold the bank responsible and demand that they make me whole for the loss.

Do schools have insurance to cover negligence? I would think that they would have to. After all, an icy sidewalk can be considered negligence if not treated with salt.

I used the bank example because I believe it is easy to see the bank as negligent if our property is lost or destroyed.

It is more difficult to see the negligence in a school setting, especially with such tragic circumstances as Sandy Hook. Nevertheless, in today's world, is it negligent for schools to leave our children in unsecured buildings, with no protection? My opinion is yes.
BJC99Hardtop is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 02:43 PM   #17
VetteUSA
I have poor impulse control.

Member #64186

My Corvette(s)
'93 LT1 Coupe (2005 - 2011). '08 CTS (Now)

Quote:
How do you feel about the family of a survivor suing for the state not protecting their children

http://www.therightscoop.com/parent-...r-100-million/

While I can understand the anger of parents and them wanting to hold someone accountable for what happened, it's not the school's or state's fault that this happened. It's the shooter's fault. From what I understand the school had drills for events such as this. The only way to protect kids is to lock them away in ASEG. Schools cannot guarantee children's safety, ever.

I think it's shameful that any parents are trying to profit off of this.
VetteUSA is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 03:03 PM   #18
blckslvr79

Member #67576

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteUSA View Post
While I can understand the anger of parents and them wanting to hold someone accountable for what happened, it's not the school's or state's fault that this happened. It's the shooter's fault. From what I understand the school had drills for events such as this. The only way to protect kids is to lock them away in ASEG. Schools cannot guarantee children's safety, ever.

I think it's shameful that any parents are trying to profit off of this.
Shameful or Heroic?

If their legal actions force even one school to better protect our children, isn't it positive? Nothing creates change faster than forced legal action and precedent.
blckslvr79 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
I'm taking care of my procrastination issues, just you wait and see.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #19
VetteUSA

Member #64186

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blckslvr79 View Post
Shameful or Heroic?

If their legal actions force even one school to better protect our children, isn't it positive? Nothing creates change faster than forced legal action and precedent.
They're going about the wrong way of doing it. That's the answer to everything these days. Sue, sue, and sue some more. Why don't they sue the gun manufacturer for making the gun. why don't they sue the bullet manufacturer for making the bullets. Why don't they sue the car manufacturer for providing transportation for the shooter. Tell me where it ends?

The parent's primary motive is not to better protect kids. They want money because they feel they are entitled to some kind of compensation because that's the way this country thinks. Spill coffee on yourself and get burned? Instead of realizing you're simply a clutz, let me sue McD's because they gave me hot coffee.

That's the way this country thinks. Let me try to make a profit off of what happened, any way I can.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:31 PM   #20
blckslvr79

Member #67576

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Quote:
They're going about the wrong way of doing it. That's the answer to everything these days. Sue, sue, and sue some more. Why don't they sue the gun manufacturer for making the gun. why don't they sue the bullet manufacturer for making the bullets. Why don't they sue the car manufacturer for providing transportation for the shooter. Tell me where it ends?

The parent's primary motive is not to better protect kids. They want money because they feel they are entitled to some kind of compensation because that's the way this country thinks. Spill coffee on yourself and get burned? Instead of realizing you're simply a clutz, let me sue McD's because they gave me hot coffee.

That's they way this country thinks. Let me try to make a profit off of what happened, any way I can.
The gun didn't kill anybody, neither did the bullets. The car was parked outside, it wasn't even in the building at the time. None of those items had responsibility to protect the children. Why sue them? Sue the killer and his family, sure. But who had legal custody of those children at the time? Who was negligent? Just saying.

I agree suing for money in this case by parents who lost nothing should be criminal, but it could lead to further protection being put in place in other schools if they win. How would you feel if your child's life was saved by actions taken as the result from this lawsuit? Just saying.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:36 PM   #21
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

Quote:
Shameful or Heroic?

This is one case where a lawsuit is not needed bring about change. You can bet every school district in the country is reviewing their security standards and discussing what they can reasonably do to improve them. This is nothing more than an attempt to profit from a tragic situation because they happened to be in the middle of it.
Texdentist is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 03:38 PM   #22
blckslvr79

Member #67576

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texdentist View Post
This is one case where a lawsuit is not needed bring about change. You can bet every school district in the country is reviewing their security standards and discussing what they can reasonably do to improve them. This is nothing more than an attempt to profit from a tragic situation because they happened to be in the middle of it.
I'm just no good at this Devil's Advocate thing.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #23
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

Quote:
I'm just no good at this Devil's Advocate thing.
I'm sorry. If you watch Big Bang Theory, I'm kind of like Sheldon -- I just don't get the sarcasm thing.
Texdentist is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #24
blckslvr79

Member #67576

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Quote:
I'm sorry. If you watch Big Bang Theory, I'm kind of like Sheldon -- I just don't get the sarcasm thing.
I started out with sarcasm and when I got a bite, I turned it into Devil's Advocate to support all of our anti-gun commie Liberals, but the nuance was lost in the text.

It's just too much work to act like a liberal.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:10 PM   #25
BJC99Hardtop
DC Crew

Member #16712

My Corvette(s)
2006 Z06, 1999 FRC

Quote:
Tex, my wife is a teacher in an inner-city district in Pittsburgh. Following the massacre in Sandy Hook, her school district sent out a memorandum for teachers to train on. In the event of a madman entering the school, the teachers are to gather the children into the far corner of their unlocked classroom and huddle together.

My wife asked the principal if they should evacuate, since her classroom is right next to the emergency exit. She was told that under no circumstances should they exit the school because the bad guy could be outside.

Another teacher asked if they could at least have locks for their doors. The superintendent stated that no classrooms in the entire district were permitted to have locks on the doors.

The schools are not ready. They are not trying to get ready. They are satisfied to let our children be slaughtered and blame the implement of slaughter. They accept no responsibility for the safety of either the children or their teachers.

I am sure that there are schools that are taking action. I would bet that schools in the great state of Texas are. Unfortunately, Pennsylvania is doing nothing to prevent the next massacre.

As was said by blckslvr79, if a lawsuit makes one district put locks on doors, or put a real door on a school, or lock one gate, then it will be worth it.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #26
VetteUSA

Member #64186

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJC99Hardtop View Post
Tex, my wife is a teacher in an inner-city district in Pittsburgh. Following the massacre in Sandy Hook, her school district sent out a memorandum for teachers to train on. In the event of a madman entering the school, the teachers are to gather the children into the far corner of their unlocked classroom and huddle together.

My wife asked the principal if they should evacuate, since her classroom is right next to the emergency exit. She was told that under no circumstances should they exit the school because the bad guy could be outside.

Another teacher asked if they could at least have locks for their doors. The superintendent stated that no classrooms in the entire district were permitted to have locks on the doors.

The schools are not ready. They are not trying to get ready. They are satisfied to let our children be slaughtered and blame the implement of slaughter. They accept no responsibility for the safety of either the children or their teachers.

I am sure that there are schools that are taking action. I would bet that schools in the great state of Texas are. Unfortunately, Pennsylvania is doing nothing to prevent the next massacre.

As was said by blckslvr79, if a lawsuit makes one district put locks on doors, or put a real door on a school, or lock one gate, then it will be worth it.
This lawsuit is not about some moral compass they're trying to achieve for the betterment of kids and humanity, it's about greed. The only way I see it as not being greed is if the family has the intention of donating all of the money.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:04 PM   #27
BJC99Hardtop
DC Crew

Member #16712

My Corvette(s)
2006 Z06, 1999 FRC

Quote:
This lawsuit is not about some moral compass they're trying to achieve for the betterment of kids and humanity, it's about greed. The only way I see it as not being greed is if the family has the intention of donating all of the money.
No disagreement there. I don't believe that the motives of the people, or the lawyer, involved in the withdrawn suit, are to improve the safety of children or teachers.

I do think that the parents of the murdered children should sue the shit out of the school district and the state for negligence. The only thing that anyone understands is money. Hit them in their pocketbook and they will do the right thing. Otherwise, they will do nothing.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:17 AM   #28
blckslvr79

Member #67576

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Quote:
No disagreement there. I don't believe that the motives of the people, or the lawyer, involved in the withdrawn suit, are to improve the safety of children or teachers.

I do think that the parents of the murdered children should sue the shit out of the school district and the state for negligence. The only thing that anyone understands is money. Hit them in their pocketbook and they will do the right thing. Otherwise, they will do nothing.
This was my point with my toungue in cheek posts above. I really don't believe this shooting did anything to change security in most school systems. Without legal precedents, schools won't do much.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:19 AM   #29
blckslvr79

Member #67576

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Quote:
In the event of a madman entering the school, the teachers are to gather the children into the far corner of their unlocked classroom and huddle together.
Easy pickings.

Leave the door unlocked and crowd the kids in the corner like a heard of sheep. Sickening!
Old 01-03-2013, 09:48 AM   #30
Vette_Newb
The Copy/Paste King

Member #6180

My Corvette(s)
1989 L98 Coupe

Quote:
How do you feel about the family of a survivor suing for the state not protecting their children
As soon as the district put up the "Target Rich Environment" signs (Gun Free Zone) they took the responsibility for the protection of their wards into their own hands. Noone in this country is under any delusion that criminals follow rules/laws. If the people making the decision to strip their employees and wards of the right to self defense cannot be held accountable for their extreme failure, who can?
Vette_Newb is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Fascism is a religion of the state. It assumes the organic unity of the body politic and longs for a national leader attuned to the will of the people. It is totalitarian in that it views everything as political and holds that any action by the state is justified to achieve the common good. It takes responsibility for all aspects of life, including our health and well-being, and seeks to impose uniformity of thought and action, whether by force or through regulation and social pressure. Everything, including economy and religion, must be aligned with its objectives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.