Call me crazy, but I actually like the C7 rear! - Page 3 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C7 Corvette Forums > C7 Corvette - Facts | Info | Rumors
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C7 Corvette - Facts | Info | Rumors The first C7 Corvette info is rolling in...

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 12-28-2012, 06:34 AM   #31
AlexY
DC Crew

Member #8935

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Draper View Post
I believe it will, but then again that was never the problem. The younger generation can't afford a $50,000 + car.....otherwise I'd own one.

As far as the "raccoon" vents, I'm 99% sure they're for aerodynamic purposes. I remember reading something on the new Ferrari F12 that it has some similar aerodynamic tricks to really improve downforce.

Also, I'd be willing to bet those out of place strips on the lower valence are reflectors probably for European requirements, as I've noticed every European supercar has them
AlexY is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 08:07 PM   #32
Panther
DC Crew

Member #31832

My Corvette(s)
92 ZO7 + 99 convertable

When I first seen the car I was a bit disapointed that it was not more closer to the concept car, but its growing on me, I was never a big fan of the C6 but I would be happy to have a C6 Z06, have to see now what the C7 Z06 looks like.
Panther is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Kim
Old 12-29-2012, 09:08 AM   #33
CharlieZR1
DC Crew

Member #72680

My Corvette(s)
1985 corvette

C4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSwift1 View Post
Yeah, that's right... I know I may be in the minority with this, but I'll just bite the bullet and say it. I actually like the new rear end. I like the sculptured taillights. I think the taillights are a natural evolution from the aged design of a regular lens cover. I see more and more cars using a 3D effect on the lens which, I'm assuming is a product of styling and engineering/manufacturing/cost breakthroughs. What you also see more is the use of LED's to create a red "line" or "outline" around the turn signal/backup lights, which looks awesome! Our 2013 Fusion uses this. I'm hoping they do the same with the C7. This is where they can do great, or really mess it up. If they go cheap and use crappy looking materials, then it'll look like an aftermarket add-on, and will look bad. But if they get it right... then let's just say I'm sure there will be a lot of naysayers changing their mind.

Some of you guys think that the taillights don't pay enough homage to the Corvette bloodline. I beg to differ. I really think it's an evolution to the classic "4 pc" taillights. They are still providing the look of 4 separate, sculptured lights, but doing so in 2 separate taillight assemblies. If they want to keep up with the times, they can't continue to use the exact same design forever. Change it up, see how people embrace it, and if it's a success, go with it. And that's what they're doing. Just as they eventually had to get rid of the pop-up headlights. And while it's similar to the Camaro, to me it's different enough to not cry about it. It's kind of an evolution/more sophisticated version of the Camaro concept. And if they're are slight similarities, why should it be a big deal! They're from the same family!

Here's an interesting tidbit I didn't notice until these new crop of pics popped up. If you look closely, you'll notice elements of the Corvette emblem in the rear end. Take a look at the slanting form of the taillights as they form the top of the V, sloping inward, meeting the v in the valence, and finally ending at the exhaust area.

I love the new rear lower valence design. I always thought the C6 valence looked like an afterthought... Like they didn't know where to stick the backup lights and just stuck them there. It looked cheap. A "real" valence is designed to contribute to downforce of the rear end. I know the valence in the C6 is a far stretch from the "real" valence of a Ferrari, but if you're gonna put a "faux" valence on a sports car, at least make it look like a functional one! I think they did much better in this dept with the C7. The thin light strip doesn't bother my eyes as much, since they blend in much better. I do hope, however, that they keep that area black (wishful thinking, carbon fiber), and not body color.

Right on GM!

Let the bashing begin...

To each their own , but the C4 cannot be compared as it has round tailights , perhaps you meant the later generation of C4's in which you would be correct ? But personally as of now I can't stand the camaro look . Lets see what this car actually looks like though. Who knows even a die hard round lens guy may cave eventually as I really need a new car and my 85 is getting long in the tooth and needs a complete exterior ,interior restoration if I even go to that stage . Book value is Ok but after all the needed work , not original owner only had this car 4 years and drive it everyday . Lets see , a little optimistic at this point that the lights will remain round . Maybe they want it to look like part of the rest of the family with similarities ? who knows . The first camaro's had round light too. Counting the days as many are. Tick tock.
CharlieZR1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 10:30 AM   #34
mbwalker

Member #7872

My Corvette(s)
96 LT4 sold, 04 sold, 08 flooded (RIP), 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugolino View Post
I don't understand the purpose of the raccoon-eye tear drops on the outer edges of the taillamps (are they reflectors? Back up lights? Non-functional gingerbread? Vents?).
The the leaked video from the vendor showing the rear body panel mold, and I don't recall vents being there.

Edit...Found it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGorram View Post

mbwalker is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 10:56 AM   #35
hms1977
DC Crew

Member #7581

My Corvette(s)
2004 Corvette Z06, 2006 Lambo G spyder, 2007 C6 Z06, 2007 Corvette C6 Conv. A6

I also like the look of the C7.
I hope the quality of the interior is fine, so I see a very good position on the european market for the C7.

Greetings from Austria,
Horst
hms1977 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition (sold)
2006 Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder (sold)
2007 Corvette Z06 atomic orange (sold)

2007 Corvette C6 convertible A6
Old 12-29-2012, 02:07 PM   #36
TheMelkMan
DC Crew

Member #118968

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbwalker View Post
The the leaked video from the vendor showing the rear body panel mold, and I don't recall vents being there.
That's because the vents aren't molded into the body panel, they're part of a separate bezel. That whole taillight area on the mold is just negative space where there's a hole in the panel, and a separate bezel goes in that hole. That whole section that's raised an inch or two on the mold is just negative space.
TheMelkMan is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 02:59 PM   #37
bkuper
DC Crew

Member #16

My Corvette(s)
1994 Dark Metallic Red Coupe, 1989 Bright Red Coupe, 1986 Black Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMelkMan View Post
That's because the vents aren't molded into the body panel, they're part of a separate bezel. That whole taillight area on the mold is just negative space where there's a hole in the panel, and a separate bezel goes in that hole. That whole section that's raised an inch or two on the mold is just negative space.

It does appear that the portions of the mold that achieve the negative spaces for the bezels MAY be separate pieces and removable.
If true, perhaps this creates the opportunity for different tail light options in the future?
bkuper is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Brian Kuper
Dallas, Texas
http://www.gff.com/

1994 LT1 Coupe (broken and sold)
1989 L98 Coupe (sold)
1986 L98 Coupe (bone yard)
Old 12-29-2012, 10:18 PM   #38
leshelt
DC Crew

Member #3768

My Corvette(s)
1976 (Sold), 1974 (Sold), 1978, 1987 and 2003 Z06

Rear-ends

I like the C&D rear-end rendering the most. It looks more aggressive than the one in the service manual. Those extra lines just add more looks than the bland smooth manual drawing. I also think that the tail lights will illuminate like the lighting on the back end of the new Mustangs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	2781  

Last edited by leshelt; 12-30-2012 at 12:31 AM.
leshelt is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 08:50 AM   #39
1N189
DC Crew

Member #47800

My Corvette(s)
2000 hardtop Nassau blue 1987 Red convertible with tan top (sold)

I don't know...

Maybe I'm just the right age of in between? Not really the "young" demographic, but not the middle aged demographic. I'm not against the new design. I like the way it looks from the front. I'm ok with the looks from the side, mostly. (Though having seen a 599 up close it DOES have similar looks, and cues from the GTR, too.) When I look at the tail it doesn't make sense to me. Maybe if they took away the "tear drop" from the lights? Then it WOULD look to Camaro. Is the "tear drop" a functional add, or just something someone in R/D thought looked cool? If someone from GM asked me, "Would you buy a C7 if you could afford it, based on what you have seen so far?" I'd have to think about it. My heart says "Yes" but my brain says "No". Why can't someone come up with a design with "cues" from the past Corvettes and not "cues" from other cars that people like?
Unlike a lot of the car market, I'm not interested in a "Retro-design" Corvette. Don't get me wrong, I think those look AWESOME, but it's about moving the brand FOWARD. Right? If you can't come up with a design that is truely iconic, yet visually CORVETTE...then crumple the drawing up and start again!
It's frustrating, to say the least, that the car that I love is leaning towards the middle and not to the edge. Don't get me wrong, the Stingray concept was "edge" but it was Corvette edge NOT Ferrari or Nissan-ish edge. I wasn't a fan of the backside of the Stingray concept, but it WAS a Corvette. This C7 is, in MY opinion, is NOT a TRUE Corvette. I hope it sells well, because I don't wish the model to die...BUT I can't wait for the redesign/refresh already...and that's bad.

James
1N189
1N189 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
-Aristotle
The Following User Says Thank You to 1N189 For This Useful Post:
stinger430 (01-04-2013)
Old 01-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #40
Chris Draper
DC Crew

Member #3332

I'll just throw this is the mix.....

Everyone rumored to have actually seen the real car has said it looks phenomenal.

10 more days....
Chris Draper is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Corvette Info Center http://corvette-info.tripod.com
Corvette Racing History http://corvette-racing.tripod.com
Corvette Concepts History http://corvette-concepts.tripod.com
Corvette Info Center Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/corvetteinfocenter
Old 01-03-2013, 11:43 AM   #41
XQIZT
You've been pimped!!

Member #80197

My Corvette(s)
1985 Z51, 1977 custom

Quote:

Everyone rumored to have actually seen the real car has said it looks phenomenal.

10 more days....
Its growing on me too. The latest black and white rendering changes up the lines just a bit. Which is what lots of people have been saying. The slightest change in a line, angle or shadow can make quite a bit of difference.

Thanks for all the updates, Chris.
XQIZT is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Alexa" - 1985 Z51 - In memory of the last Corvette Dad owned.

"Desiree" - 1977 - Wife's car, with an attitude problem

Click here for more info about our cars and autocrossing and other Corvette stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to XQIZT For This Useful Post:
bkuper (01-03-2013)
Old 01-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #42
TheSwift1
DC Crew

Member #13141

Quote:

10 more days....
I just find it amazing that here we are, only days from the official debut of the C7, and we still have not seen any true pictures of the C7 in all its glory. I remember the big leak of the red C6, which was wayy before its debut. We haven't had anything like that this time around
TheSwift1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 12:01 AM   #43
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

Quote:
I just find it amazing that here we are, only days from the official debut of the C7, and we still have not seen any true pictures of the C7 in all its glory. I remember the big leak of the red C6, which was wayy before its debut. We haven't had anything like that this time around
True, no naked pic this time, but we didn't have a detailed rendering of the C6 14 months before its debut. Thanks to Jalopnik.
Longtimer is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
'07:bought from a former sponsor, Z06 wheels and Vararam from former sponsors, Various accessories from Corvette Central and Corvette America. B&B Fusions with Corsa X pipe. Shine from Adam's
'87: refurbished all interior with parts from Corv Central '79: Interior refurb = Corvette America, and Corvette Central, T1Rs, Foose Legends
DC Sponsors
________________________________________ ________

Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green. Watching for C8 fixes & improvements
Old 01-04-2013, 08:09 PM   #44
Patrick
DC Crew

Member #1

My Corvette(s)
Current: 2003 Convertible .... Previous: 1996, 1996 GS, 2001 vert, 2002 Z06, 2003, 2007 Z51, etc...

Quote:
Pictures of C7's exist. But, they aren't nearly as revealing as the fully rendered and surfaced C7 Corvette illustrations that also exist.... which are based on the CAD data.

The reason nobody has decided to release them into the wild? My guess... is that...well... you've already seen the C7. Go look at the Jalopnik photos (most accurate) and other variants that are 90% close.

There's little you would learn or gain from seeing the other C7 "stuff" that's been passed around.

Patrick is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 09:59 PM   #45
iowa61
DC Crew

Member #17961

My Corvette(s)
1966 427 Roadster

Gangsta Teardrops/Clown paint/Raccoon eyes = Major Embarrassment

"As far as the "raccoon" vents, I'm 99% sure they're for aerodynamic purposes..."

By far the most ridiculous, infantile design affectation on the rear end, indeed on the whole car, is the fake tear drop vents. Yes, fake.

I've used it before, but the only word I can think of to truly describe them is "embarrassing."

WHO thought fake clown eye vents looked good? How did that ever get out of the design process intact? Who approved it? Yeah. Yeah. It's a perverted derivative from the Stingray concept. But that version didn't look like clown tears, and at least they shrouded functional lights.

Can you imagine the meetings that produced this joke?...

"What we really need are some mean-looking, macho teardrops on the back. That will make the really busy, origami rear end stand out like it should!..."

"No. No. They don't have to actually do anything... Just mold them in and paint them on..."

Who's running the design team? A thirteen year old? Can you imagine FAKE vents on a Porsche? Hell, the fake vents on my '70 Duster looked more plausible than these...
iowa61 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iowa61 For This Useful Post:
Altered (05-23-2013), Longtimer (01-04-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.