President Obama Avoids the Fisical Cliff - Page 5 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > News Room
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

News Room This section is for discussing current events.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 01-03-2013, 11:00 AM   #61
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by the machine View Post
Tex....where does every dollar of Government spending go???

What happens to the economy when those dollars are gone??

Where does every dollar of Government spending come from???
Government spending goes all over the world. The money comes from all over the world. When we can't collect or print enough, there will be economic collapse. I guess I'll let you tell me what your point is. If your trying to say all the money comes from here and stays here, it's just not that simple. We can't keep giving away imaginary money. It will all collapse in inflation eventually. We need to fix our spiraling debt before it become unfixable.

Quote:
Well that is much better. So regardless of wether you are right or totaly wrong it would be our duty to take what you say as gospel truth????

Now you sound like the Republican party.
Actually it would be more like the Communist Party in, say, N. Korea. But hey, if I'm gonna be king, I might as well have fun like the leftists.
Texdentist is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 11:27 AM   #62
walleyfisher
DC Crew

Member #81755

My Corvette(s)
1974 coupe & 1984 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette_Newb View Post
Without a printing press, they are gone anyway.
Note:

For the amount of money our government is spending EACH day, the printing press are incapibale of printing that much so the Fed "Creates" the money on comuter legers
walleyfisher is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"If you're not on somebody's shit list, you're not doing anything worthwhile"
Old 01-03-2013, 11:53 AM   #63
c6vettedude
DC Crew

Member #120057

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
had the bill NOT been passed and had we went over the cliff, someone else would have titled it, "President Obama Sends the US Over the Fiscal Cliff!"
NAILED IT! As I said in the past, if BO jumped in the ocean and saved the life of a child, there'd be some who'd object.
c6vettedude is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2006 Blk C6 vert w/A&A Supercharger kit w/V3 upgrade, Random Tech ceramic-coated LT headers w/hi-flo cats and Corsa Extreme exhaust. New dyno #'s 611rwhp/583tq
Old 01-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #64
the machine

Member #67421

My Corvette(s)
1966 Big Block Vert, 2008 Z06, 1959 fuelie, 1959 vert. Non vette cars ...2011 CTS-V wagon, 2008 Humr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texdentist View Post
Government spending goes all over the world. The money comes from all over the world. When we can't collect or print enough, there will be economic collapse. I guess I'll let you tell me what your point is. If your trying to say all the money comes from here and stays here, it's just not that simple. We can't keep giving away imaginary money. It will all collapse in inflation eventually. We need to fix our spiraling debt before it become unfixable.
well I guess I should have been more clear...

Every dollar that the government spends goes to a job for someone. The vast majority of which are right here in the USA. If that money is not spent that job is gone. If there is no private job to take the place of that government funded job, and you stop spending that government money the person in that job becomes an unemployed person. Now we can debate all we want about the responsabilities of that person but in the end if there is no job for that person there is no job and unless we are willing to see people starve to death on our streets, they become our problem.

The more we cut spending when private jobs are not being created the more people that don't work and pay taxes. With less people that pay taxes less tax can be collected. So now the money we saved by not spending for that government job, means less money we get in taxes and more we have to spend to take care of a person without a job( again unless we are willing to see people starve to death on our streets) Furthermore that person who is not working is also not buying much so the jobs of those serving those people who are no longer working are lost too.

When the economy is growing strong and private industry needs more and more workers, that is the time to shift those working at government expense to the private side of the ledger. This is the only way to cut government spending without going into the vicious spiral that cutting spending in a weak economy would bring.

Now once that spending has been reduced and those jobs have successfully been moved over to private employement, then we should do everything possible to keep those jobs on the private side, and keep government spending under control.
the machine is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Welcome to the Machine....
Old 01-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #65
C5 Dude
DC Crew

Member #120318

My Corvette(s)
99 C5

Quote:
well I guess I should have been more clear...

Every dollar that the government spends goes to a job for someone. The vast majority of which are right here in the USA. If that money is not spent that job is gone. If there is no private job to take the place of that government funded job, and you stop spending that government money the person in that job becomes an unemployed person. Now we can debate all we want about the responsabilities of that person but in the end if there is no job for that person there is no job and unless we are willing to see people starve to death on our streets, they become our problem.

The more we cut spending when private jobs are not being created the more people that don't work and pay taxes. With less people that pay taxes less tax can be collected. So now the money we saved by not spending for that government job, means less money we get in taxes and more we have to spend to take care of a person without a job( again unless we are willing to see people starve to death on our streets) Furthermore that person who is not working is also not buying much so the jobs of those serving those people who are no longer working are lost too.

When the economy is growing strong and private industry needs more and more workers, that is the time to shift those working at government expense to the private side of the ledger. This is the only way to cut government spending without going into the vicious spiral that cutting spending in a weak economy would bring.

Now once that spending has been reduced and those jobs have successfully been moved over to private employement, then we should do everything possible to keep those jobs on the private side, and keep government spending under control.
I have not agreed with you on alot, but I do on this. You can't cut spending with a meat cleaver and you can't do it over night. You have to reduce the goverment work force gradually over time. It can be done through rifts and just letting positions expire after retirements. I'm sure there are other clever ways that I am not smart enuff to think of or remember too.

BUT....we do have to start the cuts, and we do have to try to fill all government needs with private sector resources first (with fair bidding). The only time we don't do that is when we are talking national defense. That will always be the governments job as it should be.

C5 Dude is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Rock on!
No...I can't spell...I'm a RedNeck!
Tuned by KP Racing - http://www.kpracing.com
Vara-Ram Cold air, CompCams Torquer V2, .675 Double Racing Springs, Titanium Spring Hardware, High Volume Oil Pump, Cloyes Heavy Duty Type R Roller Chain Set, Pfadt motor and diff mounts, ECS trans/diff brace, Spec stage 3 clutch, TIC Adjustable Master, Kooks Long Tubes, Kooks High Flows with X Pipe, Corsa Muffs
Old 01-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #66
the machine

Member #67421

My Corvette(s)
1966 Big Block Vert, 2008 Z06, 1959 fuelie, 1959 vert. Non vette cars ...2011 CTS-V wagon, 2008 Humr

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5 Dude View Post
I have not agreed with you on alot, but I do on this. You can't cut spending with a meat cleaver and you can't do it over night. You have to reduce the goverment work force gradually over time. It can be done through rifts and just letting positions expire after retirements. I'm sure there are other clever ways that I am not smart enuff to think of or remember too.

BUT....we do have to start the cuts, and we do have to try to fill all government needs with private sector resources first (with fair bidding). The only time we don't do that is when we are talking national defense. That will always be the governments job as it should be.

I am sure we agree on a lot more than either of us think...but you have trouble with my Jersey accent, and I have trouble with your Texas drawl....so lots gets lost in translation.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #67
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)
2001 Navy Blue Metallic Coupe

Garage
Quote:
Ok so now that we have come to an agreement that both parties are to blame, then we can talk more seriously.
You can actually stop right there. If anyone reading this thread can't figure that out then you have no business discussing politics. Stick to crayons and try and stay between the lines.
Junkman2008 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."
Old 01-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #68
c6vettedude
DC Crew

Member #120057

Exactly! I've been trying to tell folks that for years, and from day 1 on DC. When people stop blaming and get together, only then will any meaningful change happen. I guess most in america are content with blaming and sinking at the same time.
c6vettedude is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2006 Blk C6 vert w/A&A Supercharger kit w/V3 upgrade, Random Tech ceramic-coated LT headers w/hi-flo cats and Corsa Extreme exhaust. New dyno #'s 611rwhp/583tq
Old 01-03-2013, 06:40 PM   #69
C6 CRUZR
DC Crew

Member #119297

My Corvette(s)
2005 Corvette Convertible

Quote:
Every dollar that the government spends
goes to a job for someone. The vast majority of which
are right here in the USA.
If that money is not spent that job is gone.
I'm speechless.
I have never heard anything more absurd
in my entire life. It's no wonder this country is
screwed!!!!
C6 CRUZR is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Obamacare Health Exchanges Are Now Open In All 57 States -
Old 01-04-2013, 08:10 AM   #70
the machine

Member #67421

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by C6 CRUZR View Post
I'm speechless.
I have never heard anything more absurd
in my entire life. It's no wonder this country is
screwed!!!!
Well by all means enlighten us then. Where do our tax dollars go???
Old 01-04-2013, 08:23 AM   #71
walleyfisher
DC Crew

Member #81755

My Corvette(s)
1974 coupe & 1984 coupe

Quote:
To people like Al Gore
walleyfisher is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"If you're not on somebody's shit list, you're not doing anything worthwhile"
Old 01-04-2013, 08:31 AM   #72
the machine

Member #67421

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyfisher View Post
To people like Al Gore
Thnaks for your input but I was asking cruzr.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:51 AM   #73
C6 CRUZR
DC Crew

Member #119297

My Corvette(s)
2005 Corvette Convertible

Quote:
It's pretty obvious they go down the sewer.
I can't believe I have been asked to explain this
to someone who claims they own & operate their
own business.

Rather than explain it, allow me to ask you
a few of questions.

1. What does government produce?

2. How many government jobs would you
categorize as "overhead"?

3. In your business, do you try to control
your "overhead" expenses, especially with
regard to non-productive labor?

4. If I told you we had a government agency
with a budget of nearly $30 Billion, that
employed around 16,000 employees and
thousands of contract employees, whose
designed purpose was to make the U.S.
energy independent and this agency continues
to grow yearly without showing any results,
would you consider it beneficial to add
more employees to that agency?

C6 CRUZR is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Obamacare Health Exchanges Are Now Open In All 57 States -
Old 01-04-2013, 09:29 AM   #74
the machine

Member #67421

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by C6 CRUZR View Post
It's pretty obvious they go down the sewer.
I can't believe I have been asked to explain this
to someone who claims they own & operate their
own business.

Rather than explain it, allow me to ask you
a few of questions.

1. What does government produce?

2. How many government jobs would you
categorize as "overhead"?

3. In your business, do you try to control
your "overhead" expenses, especially with
regard to non-productive labor?

4. If I told you we had a government agency
with a budget of nearly $30 Billion, that
employed around 16,000 employees and
thousands of contract employees, whose
designed purpose was to make the U.S.
energy independent and this agency continues
to grow yearly without showing any results,
would you consider it beneficial to add
more employees to that agency?

Well while you bask in your snarkiness, you have only managed to prove my point. Thank you. Every argumnet you make is valid and I agree with the need to get rid of those jobs, but they are all jobs non the less.

The government does not produce anything....but they create lots of jobs. Wether or not those jobs are of value to you or me is not the point.

As for overhead, lots of government jobs are overhead and even in business there is a need for some overhead. As any good business man knows.

In my business I control my overhead very tightly and carry as little non-productive labor as possible. But then again I am not the government. I am a for profit company. The government is not. It is not the governments job to be profitable and likely anybody who would have to compete with the government for business would be very angry if it were to get into any for profit business.

But lets examine for a minute where all these wastefull government jobs come from. The president under whom more government jobs were created still stands today as Ronald Reagan. The second highest creator of government jobs was George W Bush.

Why did they creat those jobs??? Because they wanted to expand the economy. Now I do not like to see the government expand the economy by creating government jobs, but these presidents did so.

Today we could simply get rid of everyone of those government jobs. But as I stated before, where would they go work??? If they cannot get a private sector job, they become our problem. Rather than a tax paying asset, they become a benift recieving loss to the economy. And as they lose the ability to buy goods and services, the economy loses even more private sector jobs as people who would be providing goods and services to those government workers are now also no longer needed.

Don't get me wrong. I agree that the 16,000 jobs and those thousands more contractors who are trying to make us energy independent, could be scaled way down and maybe even eliminated, but if that was done in a weak economy with no private employer to hire them it would simply drag the economy down and we would lose many times the $30 billion it costs to employ them.

So you see we realy agree completely on the problem....but the solution is what it seems to me that you have not thought through. You have to transition huge numbers of employees from the public sector to the private sector, but it has to be done in such a way that you do not kill the private sector, or you lose all the benifit of removing those workers from the public sector. Can we at least agree on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.